carat
color
clarity

Finding the Best Micropave Heart Diamond on a $150k Budget

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Finding the Best Micropave Heart Diamond on a $150k Budg

Here, you could get a 3 ct round center stone with heart shaped side stones like this but made in a micropave style setting.

http://www.solomonbrothers.com/jewelrydetail.aspx?style=p19-14&sku=83369

another:

https://www.pricescope.com/gallery/heart/custom-three-stone-platinum-ring-whiteflash-30780_g

One more thought. If your final decision is to get a heart-shaped diamond in a pave setting, my advice is to simply go to Tiffany, Graff, etc. and find a ring there. I do not think a lot of D-E color rough in the three carat range is going to be cut into heart shapes. Therefore, to get a good one, you probably will have to go to one of the top jewelers to find a ring set with a heart with the specs you are wanting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1391841408|3610647 said:
This one is kinda lovely actually. http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/heart-shaped/3.01-carat-d-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-263863 I'd ask Victor Canera about it-- send him the link. White, bright, nicely shaped and over 9.5 length and width. Not sure about the performance of the large facets in the humps, though. I'm not a hearts expert (we don't have any) but... it looks like it has potential to me.

I agree that that one has potential. Victor could do an ASET on it, too, if he called it in. But no one is probably going to call in a stone that expensive unless you pay for the shipping if you don't buy it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1391841937|3610650 said:
This one is kinda lovely actually. http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/heart-shaped/3.01-carat-d-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-263863 I'd ask Victor Canera about it-- send him the link. White, bright, nicely shaped and over 9.5 length and width. Not sure about the performance of the large facets in the humps, though. I'm not a hearts expert (we don't have any) but... it looks like it has potential to me.

I agree that that one has potential. Victor could do an ASET on it, too, if he called it in. But no one is probably going to call in a stone that expensive unless you pay for the shipping if you don't buy it.

JA could ASET it too. To see if it's worthwhile. They've fixed their ASETs now.

spicyitalian

Rough_Rock

3 carat heart ring for about $200k at HW is way way way overpriced.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1391842715|3610654 said:
diamondseeker2006|1391841937|3610650 said:

Okay, that is good to know. I was just thinking they might let Victor call it in and buy from him. And in that case, I wouldn't ask JA to do any work regarding the stone. It would just be easier to avoid him having to ship the stone to Victor (which would be $$$).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Totally agree. The vendor getting paid for the stone is the one that should be doing the leg work.

And Victor could call it in. But yes, I'll suspect he'll want to charge for shipping.

Still since it's over 35k under budget I suspect they can afford the shipping! :lol:

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1391839592|3610638 said:
I am sorry, but I am also of the mindset that a heart-shaped diamond is NOT a timeless shape for an engagement ring, and I think it is a mistake. For a colored stone right hand ring it would be fine. But you are wanting a diamond that will please her and be in style for the next 50 years potentially, and there are some fairly good classic choices such as round, oval, cushion, emerald cut, and asscher cut. More trendy shapes that will probably come and go are marquise, princess, pear, and heart. and I would say that of all of those, heart would be the most likely to be outgrown. I am in my 50's and honestly, there's no way I'd want to wear a heart-shaped diamond. You can get the hearts in fashion jewelry, but the piece that she would want to wear for a lifetime, I would strongly discourage you from getting a heart shaped diamond. If she later had regrets, you would lose a LOT of money trading that stone for another.

By all means if the heart is that important, get a heart shaped setting with a round center like someone else has mentioned.
Another good choice would be a round center with heart-shaped side stones. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Thanks DS I thought I was alone in this. We all yearn to have $150,000 to buy an ideal cut fabulous sparkler. But a heart shape in your 50's is way too cutsey and no one will buy it if she decides on an upgrade/lateral stone change. You'll loose too much money.

I know this is cheesy but go buy a $200 heart shape CZ and let her wear it around the house. I know it might be stupid but assure you it is a mistake. We are usually not negative but not for 30 years + of marriage.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

definitely.. what you like at 25 may NOT be what you like at 50.

Gypsy|1391810409|3610369 said:
If she has not specifically asked for a heart diamond I would not get her one.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

First congratulations on your engagement! How exciting that you're shopping g for your stone. I agree wth the other posters that think you should so more traditional with the shape of your ering stone. Especially genius is the poster who suggested wearing a heart shaped stone as a pendant because that would show off the gorgeous stone even more than on her hand IMHO!!! Consider that a wedding gift and get her a more traditional ering stone. Clearly you've got a lot of funds to work with. If you want something less common, consider the gorgeous colored diamonds or did you check out the antique cuts? There are lots on Pricescope but much fewer in real life. But it did just occur to me that if you wife to be decides she want something different in a couple of years, you'll probably just buy her a whole new stone. What a great excuse to upgrade!! Well, in her case it's just to get another ring! ;-). Keep posting on PS. I would love to see what kind of honker you'll be buying her on each anniversary. I don't see to many people have funds to go $150k on the first go around. :)

nyquestioner

Shiny_Rock

I'm a little surprised at how much people are warning him away from heart-shaped. This is a 30 year old woman, and this is what she said she wants. She's not 18. What if he spends $150,000 on a modern round brilliant and she likes it okay but still yearns for a heart-shaped e-ring? _That_ would be a waste of money. Based on his budget I'm guessing the OP has enough money that resale value is not a major concern. If a heart shape is not what she likes when she turns 50, perhaps she can get another ring. But I think he should try to make her happy now.
Also, OP gave a budget that's based on what he's seen in high-end stores but he could probably get a ring in his specs for well under that budget. I feel that sometimes when people give a budget on here, posters forget that they don't have to "fill up the budget." If there's a beautiful heart from James Allen that's $50,000, I'm sure OP won't turn it down because it wasn't expensive enough.

woofwoof

Rough_Rock

Wow! Thanks so much for all the responses everybody. The comments have been enlightening and I appreciate all of them and the insights I've gleaned.

I think for the purposes of the engagement ring, I've decided to stick with a heart-shaped diamond. It's the type of design that she loves today, and that's the most important thing to me. While, based on what I've read from this thread, it appears to be a terribly poor decision financially, it seems to me the right one emotionally. I've long given up hope that this is a NPV-positive transaction (sorry for the nerd talk) LOL.

I realize I'm incredibly privileged to be in my financial situation, as it really allows me to focus on getting the right ring that she loves, with cost a secondary factor. I think that even if my gf were to want another type of diamond a few years down the line, she's the type who would still want to keep our initial engagement ring, so I'm not worried about resale. I don't wish to appear too cavalier about money: I'm still thrilled when I save $1 at the grocery store with a coupon; I like to do my research and often pricematch to get the best quality/price combination when I buy electronics; and I absolutely want to make sure I'm getting a good deal for my money with this diamond.

I suppose I've already contradicted myself... since I think of myself as financially savvy yet I'm saying that I'm ambivalent about the resale value. But I think I've just managed to make an exception for the engagement ring, so suspend your disbelief with me and please keep those tips coming on the best way to get this heart diamond!

woofwoof

Rough_Rock

nyquestioner|1391871017|3610758 said:
Also, OP gave a budget that's based on what he's seen in high-end stores but he could probably get a ring in his specs for well under that budget. I feel that sometimes when people give a budget on here, posters forget that they don't have to "fill up the budget." If there's a beautiful heart from James Allen that's $50,000, I'm sure OP won't turn it down because it wasn't expensive enough.

This rings very true, thanks nyquestioner. I definitely am in no hurry to fill up the budget, but also have the luxury of not being held back by the budget if we find something too amazing to pass up.

woofwoof

Rough_Rock

LLJsmom|1391869519|3610747 said:
But it did just occur to me that if you wife to be decides she want something different in a couple of years, you'll probably just buy her a whole new stone. What a great excuse to upgrade!! Well, in her case it's just to get another ring! ;-). Keep posting on PS. I would love to see what kind of honker you'll be buying her on each anniversary. I don't see to many people have funds to go $150k on the first go around. :)

LOL, happy to keep posting here. I'm sure my gf will not stop enjoying having nice things.

woofwoof

Rough_Rock

spicyitalian|1391842771|3610655 said:
3 carat heart ring for about $200k at HW is way way way overpriced.

Just curious, why are these big-name retailers able to command such a large mark-up? I'm not keen on getting ripped off, but am certainly willing to pony up when I've become convinced that the premium is worthwhile.

woofwoof

Rough_Rock

I read a little bit about ASETs online, but have a hard time translating what I'm reading to these heart pictures. I pulled a few random heart ASET pictures from the B2C Jewels website:

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-4302463...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-4168577...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

What in your opinions, makes one of these pictures much better/worse than the others?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I also think your best bet will be to buy a designer piece from Tiffany or similar. They likely have access to the best heart shaped stones. And for such an unusual cut shape, the designer name increases the importance of the piece for me. Also, a designer piece will hold its value long term. I know you don't think you would ever sell, but 50 years is a long time and that assurance would be nice in my own mind.

I would never ordinarily recommend paying the designer premium, but it this case I would.

If you are patient, perhaps such a piece will come up at auction and you can save more?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

vintagelover229|1391885872|3610860 said:

No flippin way!! Is that an ANTIQUE heart??? :shock: It has a culet and the facets look kinda chunky to me. I know nothing about hearts and what is desirable, but I have to think that an antique heart is quite a rarity, especially WITH a GIA cert! Nice find VL!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

woofwoof|1391879833|3610829 said:

I read a little bit about ASETs online, but have a hard time translating what I'm reading to these heart pictures. I pulled a few random heart ASET pictures from the B2C Jewels website:

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-4302463...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-4168577...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

What in your opinions, makes one of these pictures much better/worse than the others?

Those are computer generated ones at B2C. Not good ones like those you see at other vendors for example, of the actual stones. http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9863/ Here's an oval and you can see the 'real' ASET here.

http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_ASET_scope.asp Here is HOW TO READ AN ASET IMAGE and what it shows you about your stone.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OMG it totally looks antique! I read the GIA report and it said large culet! Buy that sucker just for the diamond dump the setting and have Victor Canera do his magic!

doubledouble

Shiny_Rock

woofwoof|1391878380|3610813 said:
Wow! Thanks so much for all the responses everybody. The comments have been enlightening and I appreciate all of them and the insights I've gleaned.

I think for the purposes of the engagement ring, I've decided to stick with a heart-shaped diamond. It's the type of design that she loves today, and that's the most important thing to me. While, based on what I've read from this thread, it appears to be a terribly poor decision financially, it seems to me the right one emotionally. I've long given up hope that this is a NPV-positive transaction (sorry for the nerd talk) LOL.

I recently proposed with a heart cut HW-esque halo ring, and although my budget was a fraction of yours I think at any budget the right philosophy is "what the lady wants, the lady gets" :) FURTHERMORE, I don't think heart cuts are necessarily "trendy", heart cut diamonds have existed for a very long time and there are some very important and historic ones. (See Cullinan V, the Blue Heart, and the Taj Mahal Diamond)

Also, since the resale value of hearts is indeed low, you could also get a really special diamond at a good price in the secondhand or estate market, like the fabulous OEC-type heart linked above.

I am so excited to see your ring when it is done!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm in my early 40's and would be happy to wear a beautiful heart shaped diamond ring. Of course that's just my opinion.

There is a singer called Rochelle Humes here in the UK who has an amazing heart shaped halo engagement ring. It's just stunning. I think it's from a store here called Boodles. :love:

_14673.jpg

_14674.jpg

_14675.jpg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I support your purchase of the heart - in 20 years (or whenever) she can wear it as a pendant if her tastes have changed. I think it sounds really really fun!!!!! YES - please call Victor.

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock

I just have to say LUCKY girl :love: I think a heart will be gorgeous in "my" opinion. Please please please come back and post a picture of the finished ring :appl:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Like many others on this forum I would very strongly advise you against a heart shaped diamond too. I am not crazy for hearts especially in this size I do not think they look that great to be honest, they are more like a fashion thing and I find them tacky too, when you buy something this valuable I would go a much more traditional route, almost positive that I would go for round even though I mostly love fancy shaped diamonds. Be absolutely positive that she wants a heart, go windowshopping with her if you need to. Unless she absolutely prefers a heart, I would most definitely get a different shape; if you want fancy go with princess, pear or marquise. Heart sounds great as an idea because they symbolize love but I really do not think the shape looks nice in diamonds. A round would be blow away though, even a pear, a princess, a radiant, cushion but heart.

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock

woofwoof, don't let the naysayers discourage you from getting your fiancee what she wants. As someone else has noted, heart shaped diamonds have been around for a long time. Marie Antoinette, as a bride, brought a blue heart with her from Austria. Many PSers have beautiful round brilliants, but that's not what I wanted for my erring, so my man got me an oval fancy intense yellow. :love: If your ladylove wants a heart, you have more than the budget to give her a stunner.

marie_antoinette_diamond.jpg

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock

woofwoof|1391878380|3610813 said:

I realize I'm incredibly privileged to be in my financial situation, as it really allows me to focus on getting the right ring that she loves, with cost a secondary factor. I think that even if my gf were to want another type of diamond a few years down the line, she's the type who would still want to keep our initial engagement ring, so I'm not worried about resale. I don't wish to appear too cavalier about money: I'm still thrilled when I save $1 at the grocery store with a coupon; I like to do my research and often pricematch to get the best quality/price combination when I buy electronics; and I absolutely want to make sure I'm getting a good deal for my money with this diamond.

I suppose I've already contradicted myself... since I think of myself as financially savvy yet I'm saying that I'm ambivalent about the resale value. But I think I've just managed to make an exception for the engagement ring, so suspend your disbelief with me and please keep those tips coming on the best way to get this heart diamond!
Aww well in that case I'm sorry I advised against it. I sure it's going to look beautiful and she will absolutely love it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results