carat
color
clarity

Finding the Best Micropave Heart Diamond on a $150k Budget

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Finding the Best Micropave Heart Diamond on a $150k Budg

I have always wanted a white or a yellow heart shaped diamond in a Victor Canera Emily halo, (I own a round stone in one of his halos) he is a lovely genuine guy and if you contact him, he can source something that is nicely proportioned for you and his pave is magnificent. If possible go and look at some hearts, they can be what I call fatty hearts, thinner hearts and in between sized hearts. I think the in between medium size and the ones that are slightly plump but not excessively fat look the best in a halo. Alternatively Tiffany make a killer heart shaped diamond ring in a bezel setting, which I also love..... If you like a heart in a bezel better, I'd get Victor to find a stone and make that setting...

bgray

Brilliant_Rock

PrincessCath|1391896370|3610976 said:
woofwoof, don't let the naysayers discourage you from getting your fiancee what she wants. As someone else has noted, heart shaped diamonds have been around for a long time. Marie Antoinette, as a bride, brought a blue heart with her from Austria. Many PSers have beautiful round brilliants, but that's not what I wanted for my erring, so my man got me an oval fancy intense yellow. :love: If your ladylove wants a heart, you have more than the budget to give her a stunner.

yes well this is hardly a traditional heart...just saying

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

woofwoof, don't let the naysayers discourage you from getting your fiancee what she wants. As someone else has noted, heart shaped diamonds have been around for a long time. Marie Antoinette, as a bride, brought a blue heart with her from Austria. Many PSers have beautiful round brilliants, but that's not what I wanted for my erring, so my man got me an oval fancy intense yellow. :love: If your ladylove wants a heart, you have more than the budget to give her a stunner.

With all due respect princess $150,000 is not chump change its not like buying a $1,000 valentine gift. A lot of thought should go into buying something that extravegent and something she will wear hopefully for 30-50 years. As someone who is married 27 years. I've been there done that.

not a naysayer just have a lot of live experience.

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock

bgray|1391900810|3611021 said:

yes well this is hardly a traditional heart...just saying

I wasn't saying Marie Antoinette's ring is a traditional heart, just responding to those who said hearts were tacky, or the newest thing around the block.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Agreed and yes when I look at MA's stone I go now we are talking... of course there are exceptions and honestly a fancy yellow is something I would say yes to in a heartbeat but a modern heart shape, well, all I was saying like many others here is that you gotta really make 100% sure that is what she wants before committing to a heart. It is a lot of money we are talking about here and to spend it on a heart should not be taken easily. I think that it is the least liked shape but yes there are gorgeous hearts too. That said of course get her what she really truly wants, if this is it then yes by all means but it could happen that after twenty years and two kids she may not like it at all. Agreed that most have rounds, it used to be my least fave for that reason too but the shape has won me over, I still love fancy colors and fancy shapes but nothing beats an ideal white round as far as brilliance and fire and that is a fact and has nothing to do with what I would now personally choose (am designing jewelry with mostly fancy shapes and do wear them myself as well). I think most of us here were merely cautioning and talking about statistics.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

I didn't think any one said it was tacky I think they said that a heart is beautiful but not to spend 150,000 . on it is would make a wonderful second 1 carat RHR or travel ring but not to spend that much on it.

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock

heididdl|1391902365|3611043 said:
I didn't think any one said it was tacky I think they said that a heart is beautiful but not to spend 150,000 . on it is would make a wonderful second 1 carat RHR or travel ring but not to spend that much on it.

Yes, go upthread, and someone said "tacky". With such a budget, OP can do anything he likes: hunt down and antique stone, esp. in LA, or go the Tiffany, or similar designer, route (better resale value.)

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Get a smaller heart shape diamond for a pendant so she can wear 'your heart next to hers' and spend the bucks on a classic cut for the ER. I am not a fan of heart shaped diamonds.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lambskin|1391904739|3611084 said:
Get a smaller heart shape diamond for a pendant so she can wear 'your heart next to hers' and spend the bucks on a classic cut for the ER. I am not a fan of heart shaped diamonds.

I'm afraid I agree with you. To me they lack harmony and "wholeness". From reading all the comments I guess it's a love or hate thing.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock

The OP knows his GF better than all of us. He has heard our advice and still feels it's the right choice for her. As Pricescopers we never back down from a challenge. Let's try to help him find a heart shaped diamond that she will love!

justginger

Ideal_Rock

Hospatogi|1391905368|3611093 said:
The OP knows his GF better than all of us. He has heard our advice and still feels it's the right choice for her. As Pricescopers we never back down from a challenge. Let's try to help him find a heart shaped diamond that she will love!

Exactly. I can't believe the disparaging comments are continuing. This isn't some child groom with less sense than cents - he's clearly intelligent, articulate, and thoughtful. They've been shopping together for heart rings - at this point recommending anything OTHER than beautiful hearts is foolish. It's his money, her preference, and hopefully a future treasured heirloom.

That being said, have you considered buying a smaller fancy colored diamond? The pinks are often cut into hearts, and the value of FCDs is only marginally affected by their shape (unlike with white diamonds). FCDs have been enjoying very strong value gains over the last decade as well. Leibish, a highly recommended vendor, is having a sale on all of their heart shaped stones and jewelry fir Valentines Day: http://www.fancydiamonds.net/diamond_education/articles/valentines_day_2014.htm

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

woofwoof|1391810300|3610367 said:
Hi, pretty new here, but looking forward getting everyone's opinions. I could see this being a multi-month process so thanks in advance for everybody's help!

I'm looking to surprise my gf with a nice engagement ring, and so far I'm sure that I'd like:

• Heart Shape
  • Micropave halo engagement setting
  • D-E color
  • Probably anywhere between 2.5 and 3.5 carats

I know it probably seems crazy to spend so much on a ring, but as long as she loves it, it'll be all worthwhile :) I suppose that for the perfect diamond/design, I could see spending a little more if need be.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot from the collective expertise on this forum. I've seen a number of heart shaped diamonds now, and some end up quite skinny, others end up too fat, or too deep, etc. If you have experience buying heart shaped diamonds, how do you gauge what is going to be a good cut? Especially with all the online vendors, most of them don't seem to have pictures... how do you buy one without a picture?

For a heart diamond, would you recommend splurging for a much higher clarity? I've read the ASET being mentioned a few times, but how can you get an ASET picture prior to buying a diamond?

I know some of the big name vendors (HW for example, has a 3 carat heart ring for about $200k) seem to be more expensive. What do you get for the extra price? Is it worth the premium? I've been in contact with Martin Katz too who makes a beautiful micro-set pave setting, but I don't yet have a quote.

How about custom designing the ring? Who should be on the list to talk to? I guess since I'm spending so much on the ring, I'd really want the best of the best if I went the custom route. Where do they source their diamonds from? Or do you provide your own?
I know a lot of people are saying this but I am going to jump on this also, and I don't think it's disparaging entirely to suggest he really consider that with this budget he not spend it on this shape if he's not 1000% certain that's what SHE wants.

Did she SPECIFICALLY STATE at any time that she wants a heart shape? That is NOT something you surprise someone with without a specific request.

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock

woofwoof|1391812924|3610403 said:
Thanks for the feedback already. Sorry for not being clear earlier, but yes, this is for an engagement ring. She's never been the type to sell anything, ever, so I'm not terribly worried about resale value.

She would definitely say heart is her favorite.

Sounds like it's going to be tough to find a good heart diamond, but I'm not on a tight schedule, so other tips on finding the right one are appreciated. Looks like only one online vendor posts pictures of their hearts. Is this common? Do I just have to email each vendor directly if they don't have pictures posted?

Thanks!

She's 30. Woofwoof is articulate and has clearly put a lot of thought into this choice, and doesn't care about the resale value. They want a heart, they should get a heart! (I'm very much not a heart person, but lots of people love them-- it's not our decision to make for woofwoof and his fiance)!

I agree that you should go with a hand-forged vendor (like VC, singlestone, etc) for this project, since you have a VEEEEERY healthy budget. In your shoes, I'd suggest a fancy colored diamond (if she likes colored stones-- I don't know if I've seen you comment either way. It'd still be a diamond, and a very unique one, but not everyone wants color for an engagement ring). I also love the ebay heart that was linked, but I'm a sucker for an antique cut.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-16-G-Hear...87773997?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item4d0a72bf2d

The setting doesn't seem like it's what you are looking for, but have the vendor scrap the setting and credit you for the scrap value of the platinum and diamonds, and get what she really wants.

Good luck with your search!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congrats on your upcoming engagement. How thoughtful of you to be willing to buy what your GF is longing for.

The stone on ebay that Vintagelover found for you might be a good option. And I can totally recommend working with Victor Canera for the setting. Perhaps it's good to talk to him first: he can probably source a stone for you or call in a stone from James Allen or other vendors. Good luck in this process and please keep us updated!

_14709.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

For that kind of budget, I would go bespoke. I wonder if Yoram would be interested?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

woofwoof|1391879833|3610829 said:
Gypsy|1391842715|3610654 said:
JA could ASET it too. To see if it's worthwhile. They've fixed their ASETs now.

I read a little bit about ASETs online, but have a hard time translating what I'm reading to these heart pictures. I pulled a few random heart ASET pictures from the B2C Jewels website:

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-4302463...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-4168577...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

What in your opinions, makes one of these pictures much better/worse than the others?

Ditto Gypsy, if you choose not to go the Tiffany/Cartier/HW/Graff/etc. route you will definitely want to go through a vendor who will be able to take good, clear close-up photos of the faceting, and "actual" photos taken through an ASET scope (vs. computer-generated simulations) would be very helpful. An ASET video that shows light return through a variety of tilt angles would be ideal, and for a purchase of this magnitude would definitely be something to inquire into if you decide to have a PS vendor source the stone.

In general I look for three things in ASETs for fancy shapes:
- Amount of Green+Red vs. White/Black. White/Black is "leakage" - light escaping out of the back of the stone rather than being returned to your eyes face-up. That means that rather than looking bright and lively in those areas, the stone will be dull and lifeless. You want as much Green+Red as possible, with some Blue (obstruction) interspersed. "Obstruction" means that a facet turns black because something (like your head when you're leaning over to admire it) is blocking incident light at that particular configuration - some obstruction adds contrast, which makes the stone look brighter, the way a chessboard is brighter than a plain white sheet of paper, but too much contrast can mean that the stone looks overly dark close-up.
- The symmetry of patterning. If a stone has a clear axis of symmetry, I want to see similar patterning and type of light return across that axis of symmetry in a face-up (stone girdle plane perpendicular to the scope) ASET.
- The distribution of Green+Red/Blue/White. The quantity of light return is one part of the equation; the other is the quality of light return - I like to see an even distribution with no unwanted clear artifacts and no unwanted disjointed pattern groups. This is very shape- and faceting type dependent though... it's probably easier to explain with some pictures:

Here are two Expert Selection princesses from WF. Both very nice stones, both much nicer than the *vast* majority of what's floating around in the market!
If you add up the "amounts" of Red+Green, Blue, and Black in each ASET photo there's actually probably around the same amount. In the first stone the distribution is clearly patterned, and IRL face-up you'll be able to see those patterned distributions delineated by those same pattern outlines. The second stone's faceting is indistinctly patterned - there are no clearly dis-joined groupings of facets that are all behaving the same way when assessed at that particular angle. The second stone's patterning is my preference for a princess; others will prefer the first... and neither necessarily applies to your search for a heart, but I thought a description may be helpful in deciding what you like to see ::)

up333.png
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2835511.htm

up444.png
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2985949.htm#

If you can get an ASET video that would be most helpful as you'd also be able to judge real-world scintillation (how quickly different facets turn "on" and "off" - go from light to dark - as you tilt the stone).

If you go this route I STRONGLY recommend having the stone shipped out to see in-person and make sure you love it before having it set. We can talk numbers and pictures 'til the cows come home but ultimately you and your significant other are the ones who've got to love it, and given that it's to be a surprise your eye is the only judge, jury, and executioner that counts!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

To be perfectly honest though, in your situation, I would really advise going with one of the big jewellery houses as other posters have recommended.

There is cachet to branding, especially for an important piece like this, and there is also security in having a piece that won't devalue nearly as much because it's backed by an important brand name. As Dreamer said unusual pieces tend to be of more interest to the right market of buyers, and hearts are certainly more unusual than RBs!
And honestly, given how unpredictable the market - and secondary markets - for signed pieces are, it may even increase in value over (a long period of) time (though I wouldn't suggest counting on that...)

woofwoof

Rough_Rock

Hey everybody, OP here again. Really have appreciated the lively comments in this thread. I feel like it's really helped refine my thought process.

I'm actually happier now with the idea of a heart diamond than I ever have been... seems like it's going to be quite the unique rock... and who would have known how polarizing the shape can be! I'm hoping that with a custom designer or a great vendor, the uniqueness of a heart shape ring will have the timeless class of an antique Patek rather than the attention grabbing flash of a Green Lambo.

Thank you for pointing me to the antique ring, but I've been stuck on the idea of a colorless diamond, so I'm afraid a G color is not something I'm ready to consider. Similarly, while a colored diamond looks nice, I'd prefer a colorless one this go around.

To update everybody, I put out some feelers with a few major vendors, and have been in contact with some of the custom designers suggested by this thread too. I've been reading diligently on old threads on the forum and have been very impressed with the vast body of knowledge here.

When I hear back from some of the major retailers, I'll post some of the price quotes I'm getting. I think even I may be shocked by the some of the markups. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Honestly, it sounds like you both good heads on your shoulders and I think it's wonderful you are getting what you really want. I hope you'll keep us updated on your process, choices and let us live vicariously. I'm never going to be able to buy a 150k stone, so this is enormously fun for me.

I think you are going to get an awesome ring. And I do hope that whatever you chose, you post lots of pictures for us.

Also, I agree with you on the colorless front. If I was shopping with your budget I'd want F or better as well. :wavey:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ditto what Gypsy said. Please do let us know what you end up with... and if you could let us in on some of the interim steps too, that would be even better! :naughty:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

VRBeauty|1391936575|3611313 said:
Ditto what Gypsy said. Please do let us know what you end up with... and if you could let us in on some of the interim steps too, that would be even better! :naughty:

+1...I'd love to live through this journey vicariously with you! The end result is going to be spectacular!

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

yennyfire|1391887097|3610873 said:
vintagelover229|1391885872|3610860 said:

No flippin way!! Is that an ANTIQUE heart??? :shock: It has a culet and the facets look kinda chunky to me. I know nothing about hearts and what is desirable, but I have to think that an antique heart is quite a rarity, especially WITH a GIA cert! Nice find VL!

As an antique diamond lover and closet heart-shaped admirer, I sort of adore this one!! lol

Great find!

Anne

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

woofwoof|1391930321|3611289 said:
Hey everybody, OP here again. Really have appreciated the lively comments in this thread. I feel like it's really helped refine my thought process.

I'm actually happier now with the idea of a heart diamond than I ever have been... seems like it's going to be quite the unique rock... and who would have known how polarizing the shape can be! I'm hoping that with a custom designer or a great vendor, the uniqueness of a heart shape ring will have the timeless class of an antique Patek rather than the attention grabbing flash of a Green Lambo.

Thank you for pointing me to the antique ring, but I've been stuck on the idea of a colorless diamond, so I'm afraid a G color is not something I'm ready to consider. Similarly, while a colored diamond looks nice, I'd prefer a colorless one this go around.

To update everybody, I put out some feelers with a few major vendors, and have been in contact with some of the custom designers suggested by this thread too. I've been reading diligently on old threads on the forum and have been very impressed with the vast body of knowledge here.

When I hear back from some of the major retailers, I'll post some of the price quotes I'm getting. I think even I may be shocked by the some of the markups. :)

woofwoof - I love hearts. when I got engaged, I ended up going with something different - for a variety of reasons - and I've regretted it ever since. And that's over 20 years ago.

Some girls aren't heart girls. But some of us ARE, and often our tastes don't change.

As for your ring - I would go with a privately sourced stone. Possibly one cut just for you, if unique and special and romantic is what you're really after. $150k sounds HUGELY generous…until you take it to Tiffany and tell them you want something over 3 cts and D/E colored with great clarity. If you want to maximize your budget and her ring - to say nothing of how…well…intimate and priceless it is to have a stone cut just for your girl, I'd suggest a privately sourced stone and a custom setting.

And yes. Victor Canera is the man.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi:

I can hardly wait to see what you choose! Personally, I would go branded; Graff, VCA, Bvlgari. etc.

IMHO, specialty stones = specialty stores.

cheers--Sharon

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am so glad you have not taken any of the negative comments in this post to heart. You love heart shapes and so does she, it will make a totally unique and stunning piece of jewellery. Hearts are not for everyone, neither are marquise, pears and various other shapes, your and your intended's visual preference doesn't have to be the same as others!!!! I actually think heart shaped diamonds are and will make a comeback this season, and I love them, I have always wanted one in a halo...... you get an enormous spread per carat weight and visually if you get a top cut one they can out perform an oval or a pear.

A white heart in a halo will make a killer ring, so please come back and post what you find and the experts will give you their opinions. The key is getting a nicely proportioned stone that is well cut.

And I will be the dissenting voice here and state that you don't have to go to one of the highest end stores like Graff and so on to get a decent heart or a top quality halo.... I am sure Victor could find you a stone on a specific budget. Another member and I walked into Tiffany's a couple of months ago and compared my Victor pave halo to Tiffany's halos and his work left theirs for dead. So if you can save money by going to a well known and recommended vendor then why not. Whiteflash, James Allen and Engagement Rings Direct and Good Old Gold could all probably source you a decent cut heart as well if you contact them and explain what you are looking for.

I think if you are buying the shape that your gf wants then you can go wrong...she will love it until the end of time...and I am sure that it will be very unique and that she will receive endless compliments...any shape stone is beautiful if done correctly...you have been given many good recommendations and I am sure any of the vendors can help you especially at your price point...I always say go with your "gut reaction" and you seem to be right on...to me getting a cookie version of an engagement ring is not so special...not to say that the most popular cuts are not special but it is only special if your girl loves it...good luck to the two of you...please keep the group updated....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1391928065|3611273 said:
To be perfectly honest though, in your situation, I would really advise going with one of the big jewellery houses as other posters have recommended.

There is cachet to branding, especially for an important piece like this, and there is also security in having a piece that won't devalue nearly as much because it's backed by an important brand name. As Dreamer said unusual pieces tend to be of more interest to the right market of buyers, and hearts are certainly more unusual than RBs!
And honestly, given how unpredictable the market - and secondary markets - for signed pieces are, it may even increase in value over (a long period of) time (though I wouldn't suggest counting on that...)

I also said this earlier, and I will just agree with Yssie, too. With that kind of budget and especially with a heart shaped stone, I think it would be better to get a branded ring. I'd do it if I had that kind of budget. I'd be really happy to open a Tiffany, Graff, Harry Winston, or VCA ring box!

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock

How exciting to have an excellent idea of exactly what she wants- a heart shaped diamond ! I cannot wait to see some of the possibilities and hope you come back to post them! Best wishes, your future fiancée sounds very lucky!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results