shape
carat
color
clarity

E-bay nightmare...any advice???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
YAY! Marty Haske!!!
love.gif

You're great! Is it just me or are the Marty's (Marty haske & Uncle Marty) on this website seriously excellent?
9.gif
appl.gif

Dublingirl, I really hope this all helps you get your money back...I wish you strength!!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would be willing to place a bet that Martin Haske of Adamas has done a more than complete job in his report. I also cannot understand why the seller refuses to simply make good on the 7 day satisfaction for any reason guarantee. That alone, ought to be sufficient for a consumer to return an item that they find does not please them in every way.

This does not need conflict resolution, this needs a simple, "Send it back and here is your money." solution. Nothing more or less is ever going to prove anything of importance in this case.

It is a valuable lesson to others about buying big ticket items from people you do not know or have reason to trust on Internet auction sites. Words are cheap, but doing the right thing here is what has any meaning.

I think the seller should willing give the refund and be done with it. It is part of their 0.5% dissatisfaction rate. Shouldn't be a big deal, should it?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Exactly OldMiner!

This woman is unhappy, the seller has a return policy. That to me is the end of the story.

David should have no problem re-selling the ring on eBay (which is frightening upon itself), and if he has to take less for it, cost of doing business stupidly, right? Lesson learned! For both.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
eBay has an excellent resource link posted that I think is very applicable in this case.

http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

The Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC) is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C).

IFCC's mission is to address fraud committed over the Internet. For victims of Internet fraud, IFCC provides a convenient and easy-to-use reporting mechanism that alerts authorities of a suspected criminal or civil violation. For law enforcement and regulatory agencies at all levels, IFCC offers a central repository for complaints related to Internet fraud, works to quantify fraud patterns, and provides timely statistical data of current fraud trends.

People can file claims via a link posted on the website.
1.gif

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 3/3/2004 1:00:33 PM oldminer wrote:

Nothing more or less is ever going to prove anything of importance in this case.

/blockquote>

Except maybe a little matter of weight discrepency
read.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
PQ and Dublingirl, I recently had to endure that whole Square Trade, FTC thing with a purchase from E-Bay. My Bf bought me a cellphone on the net WELL under the retail price for a bargain $250. Sadly, he won, he paid, but nothing ever came. The guy who sold it wasn't even listed on E-bay anymore (he was kicked off maybe a day later) and neither the FTC nor E-Bay could refund the money so far (inconclusive report without his testimony or response) and no item, no money and a whole lot of aggravation. FYI: FTC just records, but does not prosecute or recover.

It's NOT worth it! Always buy from reputable sellers with lots of sales and good feedback. Also, if it's pricey, DO NOT THINK YOU ARE GETTING A DEAL IF IT"S SIGNIFICANTLY CHEAPER! It may just be cheaper...

Dublingirl: SO sorry to hear you issue, and I hope that David from Diamonds4All will not join the ranks of E-Bay scum that ripps people off via the internet because they can't physically inspect the items before buying (or even AFTER!)

To David: I know you are a reputable business man, or want to believe so, so please do the right thing and when you do, please post.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 3/3/2004 3:28:14 PM adamasgem wrote:

Except maybe a little matter of weight discrepency
read.gif

and...

----------------
On 2/29/2004 7:36:58 AM dublingirl wrote:

Turns out that the two side-stones (1.24ct and 1.25ct F colour and SI1 clarity on GAL) were in fact .96ct and 1.05ct, HIJ colour and I1.

----------------

Just to remind everyone that this isn't a mere misunderstanding. With carat weights that far off, we're talking potential fraud, not a quibble over an appraiser's opinions.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 3/2/2004 11:58:44 PM diamond4all wrote:

Now,
I am pleading for your help - please suggest a solution for us to determined that the ring shipped back to us was not tempered with / changed by any one of the party/s involved?

----------------

Since not only NO grading lab guarantees that their grades are 100% consistent over repeated grading, I would suppose that only the original grading lab is fully entitled to determine whether the diamonds in the ring are the same the ones in their original report. Another lab's conclusion can only come with a statistical approximation of this, but the original grading lab must be able to at least stand by their grading. Would they do that ?

I suppose that, at this point, knowing that the setting is in good shape (or "as new" as sometimes the wording is used in appraisals of pre-owned items) and the stones are the same ones it should be good enough. So... how about a call to GAL about this ? I guess the amount to be potentially refunded could be handled via escrow... but I might be going to far here, I guess.

It surely is far more frequent that buyers act assuming some misbehavior from the part of the seller (given that the seller has the advantage of better information about the product and the product's market), so this story of the seller not trusting the buyer is uncommon. But this is just theory (of transaction dynamics given asymmetric information) with very little 'reality' factored in, so what do I know? There must be some middle ground here, I hope.

Regards,

Ana

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/2/2004 11:58:44 PM diamond4all wrote:

People.
Now,
I am pleading for your help - please suggest a solution for us to determined that the ring shipped back to us was not tempered with / changed by any one of the party/s involved?

----------------

You should be able to determine for yourself if you have received the correct ring. I would imagine that someone who offers a no questions asked (snicker) return policy would keep some sort of documentation on the item after it is sold just in case.

This is why some independent appraisers will actually film themselves opening the package . . . because jewelers can say, "How do I know you didn't switch it??!!" Well, how do we know you sent what the GAL report says? You are listing the same ring with the same exact specifications right now on eBay. The much likelier scenario is that you use a generic description and fabricated/duplicated reports. However, there is no magic ball that will show us the answer. But this is where the fun will begin . . . it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out when attorneys are involved.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any updates?

diamond4all

Rough_Rock
Yes.
We made a decision that will forever change the way jewelry is sold on eBay:
Starting very soon ALL our eBay buyers, upon winning the bid will be informed (Before sending any payment to us which will remain in the form of WIRE TRANSFER ONLY) That we will issue NO certificate. The customer will have the right to choose HIS OWN independent local gemological lab / appraiser which is not a jeweler (as long as they are members of the trade organization and have no criminal or civil issues with local agency including the BBB) and we will send the product DIRECTLY to the appraiser of his / her choice. The appraiser will appraised the item and if it will match our advertising and the customer is satisfied - he / she will wire the funds. After receiving the funds we will OK the release of the item and the certificate from the appraiser of choice to the customer hands.
The customer will know in advanced that once he / she agree to accept the item - there will be no refund.
Repair warrantee will remained the same - free repairs for life.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
What happened with the original customer's problem!?

Uncle Marty

Rough_Rock
David,
I think you are on the right track but not in the right direction.

I believe you should explain to all of us what is your definition of a jeweler.

Why do you isolate an appraiser from a jeweler.

Many appraisers are jewelers and many jewelers are appraisers.

What is your objection to a jeweler viewing and touching your jewelry ?

Uncle Marty of course

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/8/2004 8:28:13 PM diamond4all wrote:

Yes.
We made a decision that will forever change the way jewelry is sold on eBay:
Starting very soon ALL our eBay buyers, upon winning the bid will be informed (Before sending any payment to us which will remain in the form of WIRE TRANSFER ONLY) That we will issue NO certificate. The customer will have the right to choose HIS OWN independent local gemological lab / appraiser which is not a jeweler (as long as they are members of the trade organization and have no criminal or civil issues with local agency including the BBB) and we will send the product DIRECTLY to the appraiser of his / her choice. The appraiser will appraised the item and if it will match our advertising and the customer is satisfied - he / she will wire the funds. After receiving the funds we will OK the release of the item and the certificate from the appraiser of choice to the customer hands.
The customer will know in advanced that once he / she agree to accept the item - there will be no refund.
Repair warrantee will remained the same - free repairs for life.----------------

WoooHooo!! Great 4 U!!
22.gif
But what about the original poster's problem??
confused.gif

diamond4all

Rough_Rock
Selling jewelry and grading jewelry create a conflict of interest which comes into play even if you're not buying or selling but just coming in for an appraisal. The reason is simple: Many jewelers display signs that read: "We buy Gold and Diamonds" or "We pay top Dollar for Estate Jewelry." Whether they do or not, they have one thing in
mind when they see you walk into their trap: "Here comes a cash cow." He knows he has just one chance to "milk" you now or plant a seed for tomorrow.

Now, today's economy being what it is, most people walking into their "trusted, friendly" neighborhood jeweler to inquire about the value of their jewelry are looking to sell it in the near future. The jeweler knows this and gives his opinion accordingly....

Grading a diamond is not an exact science and so it is common to have a difference of a full grade between one independent gemologist - i.e. he only appraises and does not sell jewelry - and another. When it comes to jewelers,
it is common to have 1-3 grades and price/value differences, depending on whether they're selling to you - in which case they push the envelope to the highest grade - or if they think you want to sell to them. (And you can say, "I am not in the market to sell," until you're blue in the face - they are sure you're looking to cash in on it.)

Evaluating diamond grade and value must be done ONLY by a reputable independent Gemological Lab or Appraiser who do not sell jewelry and follow the industry guidelines as to how to put a price tag on a piece of jewelry.
Never ask a jeweler to grade a ring, even if he's a "friend of the family!" But if you MUST go to a jeweler to find out the real value of a ring, go to a someone who has nothing to do with your family... and - now follow this very carefully - tell him it's your sister-in-law's ring and that you want to make a ring EXACTLY like it for yourself or your wife. Ask him, "Can you do it?" and "How much would it be?"

An old jeweler man ones told me a very smart line: Owning a jewelry store doesn't make me a jeweler more than owning a piano makes me a pianist...

Teckie

Rough_Rock
diamonds4all... Why do you keep avoiding the question as to how the situation was remedied in dublingirls problem?

Uncle Marty

Rough_Rock
David,
You are the most insulting person I have had the misfortune to read.
I owned a jewelry store for over 32 years.

I leased out space to a very qualified appraiser (a Senior Master Graduate Appraiser and member of NAJA) who independently appraised the jewelry I sold and the jewelry others sold.

I accepted his findings and values and we never had a harsh word between us. We made appointments for him with our customers to have their jewelry appraised. He worked in our store for years.

To my knowledge it was never assumed by him that my
goal was to ultimately buy the jewelry being appraised. Most of the people that came into the store came in for an insurance appraisal.
Not to sell the item.

Yes, I did a great deal of buying from the public.
I bought entire estates and individual Diamond rings and all types of jewelry. I never asked anyone what they wanted for the items they wanted to sell.
I just told them what I was prepared to pay.
I think it would be wise for you to learn about the different forms of appraisals.

Wherever did you find the appraisal company GAL.
Did you pay for their appraisals before you sold your
jewelry and diamond rings. Apparently no one told you it is unethical to have an appraiser establish a value for merchandise being sold by anyone beyond what it is being sold. The only appraisal you should have had done is identifying the gemstones, weights clarities etc and not the value.
Values can be different in different geographical and trading areas. I would like to know on what basis did GAL arrive at their values for the Diamond rings you sold. That would make interesting reading.

Your letter sounds to me that you have no respect for any retail jeweler except yourself. You do realize that you are a retail jeweler. FYI a retail jeweler is one who sells to the ultimate consumer.
And that is what you do. Do you think anyone believes you are a wholesale seller. A wholesale seller is one that sells product to a company or person that will sell to the consumer.

I think it is time for you to have the appraisers on this website to explain just what they do and why they are so valuable to all buyers of jewelry.
They mainly keep sellers like you honest. The wording in your e-bay auctions was insulting to your buyers as well as to the appraisers and other retail jewelers.
Apparently your customers bought from you because you led them to think you were giving them a great bargain. A ring valued for $50,000 for less than $10,000. The potential buyers believed you and the lies you handed out. You said only 5% of your customers complained about your items. 5% is 5% too much. I wonder how accurate the 5% really is. Will we ever know of course not,we will have to believe you. Why should anyone believe you ?
Did you return the money as promised with an additional 25% as your website agreed in advance.

I am also wondering who should pay for the appraisal for your merchandise sent to the appraiser. Will you still give the buyer the 25% premium if it is found you made an error? Will you pay for the shipping and insurance both ways.

I will never buy from you. I am a professional jeweler. I have met people like you in our business particularly over these past 10 years. You have no respect for anyone except yourself.

Am I angry about your post, you bethcha.

In my opinion anyone that is considering buying from you should look in the mirror and read your last post out loud 3 times. And then forget the idea.

Uncle Marty (not your uncle)of course.

diamond4all

Rough_Rock
Attitude like this is what caused us to say - WE WILL NOT get in to this dirty, shady area of appraisals - creating values and deceiving the public. That is precisely why we had a 3 party independent appraiser - and even that is not enough - we now let the customer choose and pay for his / her own 3 party independent appraiser BEFORE taking our words for it.
Now:

I was born in Israel to a family of dimondiers. My (real..) uncle holds 2 (!!) De - Beers sites and my other uncle was the largest distributor of rough diamonds out of the De Deers cartel - from Russia. I knew how to grade rough diamonds and prepare them for cutting before I know how to write my name.
I grow up in that industry of illusions and knew the real value of a diamond from the time it comes out of the mine to the time it gets to the hands of little people like you - "Uncle Marty". When was the last time you were holding a parcel of 16 Kilos (not carat) of rough diamonds in your hands? I used to do this 10 times a year when the De Beers shipments came in to the office, the Rabbi blessed them and than 250 diamond cutters in Tel - Aviv and Ramat - Gan (In Israel) supported their family and put bread on the table day in and day out from cutting them while making my relatives wealthy beyond comprehension. You and your family will never make in 10 generation what they give just for charity...And think about it - they are not the only ones..and not even one of the major players in the industry.
And you want to teach me about this diamond industry that was created to deceive the public by a cartel ??!! I would eat you for breakfast if I could take the taste..

Now dear uncle:

forgot to mention that anyone who disputes my last posting should order the last (February) issue of consumer report... there was some nice writing about the shady appraisal business done by jewelers..in opposed to the one run by gemologists.

Do you want to take them on too?
You are better than GAL.
You are better than eBay
You are better than major TV syndicate who proved that 4 out of 10 major, trusted reputable jewelers in NY, NJ & FL changed the stone on a ring when a 75 years old lady they sent asking (under cover) to fix a prong left the ring with them...
Are you now better than Consumer Report?

Who do you think you are?

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
Discussion about your business practices and which appraisers to be used can be discussed later. First and foremost, what are you doing about your dissatisfied customer? No one cares about how many diamonds you have held or who blessed them. We don't care how much your family has given to charity if there is ONE person who is out there who feels that she has been duped and wants her money back. We don’t even really care about which appraisal service you will use in the future. What we do care about is dublingirl’s problem. What have you done to honor your return policy?

Stop being such a schmuck and stop acting like little pischer and honor your business policies.

Stop ducking the question!!!!

Sheree

Rough_Rock
David,
How do we know that you aren't one of those 4 out of 10 jewelers that rip people off? So far that is exactly how you are looking. I wouldn't buy from you for any reason and I will tell anyone I know not to buy from you or your business!
Did you give the lady her money back or not? Who knows, maybe you will be on the next show about diamond scammers!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
From what my brother has said, we can expect that a business like this that receives several complaints may be investigated for fraud. The victims will not see anything, but the government does sometimes prosecute in such cases. Once a file has been started, it can be added to, ya know . . .

The incredibly ironic thing is the auction of the same ring involved in the dispute! If I were trying to prove that I had not committed fraud, I would be smart enough to take it down for the time being. It's just screaming, "I fabricate the descriptions on all my jewelry!!!"

No, there is no way, no how that I would ever give this seller or jeweler a dime.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/9/2004 4:58:20 AM chris-uk04 wrote:

Discussion about your business practices and which appraisers to be used can be discussed later. First and foremost, what are you doing about your dissatisfied customer? No one cares about how many diamonds you have held or who blessed them. We don't care how much your family has given to charity if there is ONE person who is out there who feels that she has been duped and wants her money back. We don’t even really care about which appraisal service you will use in the future. What we do care about is dublingirl’s problem. What have you done to honor your return policy?

Stop being such a schmuck and stop acting like little pischer and honor your business policies.

Stop ducking the question!!!!----------------

Yeah, what he said. This is getting absolutely ridiculous. Sounds to me like you (diamonds4all) bullied Dublingirl into some sort of gag order.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Diamonds for all, I understand pride in heritage, but why you keep thinking that we will either be impressed by talking about your religion or dissaded to tell you "RETURN HER MONEY", is beyond me. I don't care if you are Presybetrian, I don't care if you sold 1 diamond all year and you never even saw rough. To me, you being a "wholesaler" means you are not only screwing the retailers who are supposed to buy from you, but you go directly to the customer, hoping to make the highest profit where there is the greatest markup (as we know the price from rough to final product IS NOT the same...)

From all I have learned of the diamond business (and still seem to be learning) wholesalers are discouraged from seller to the public, as it takes out the retailer, and is unfair business practice due to competitive pricing that is unmatchable, since you can afford to sell cheaper. But you don't. You sell what is cheaper for more money! Let me guess, you sell the better stones to retailers for more money, and the rest you can't sell, you sell on E-Bay to consumers who think they are getting a deal...yeah, because you LIE about the certificates!

Uncle Marty is right. You can't have an appraisal of value, but you can apprasie for grades of the diamond. Instead of listening to someone who has a point, you attack him. Again, I don't know or care about where you were born or what you do with your spare time, but the most important issue here is that you have scammed someone, and when it comes down to it:

You have LIED about your policies

You do not stand by your (shoddy) products

You have written countless posts about YOU and not how to solve the problem

You have tried to use religion/status/etc to impress or intimidate people

You are all talk and no action, you SAY you can refund, but YOU DON'T!!!

How about, none of us CARE how much rough you have purchased, or how much your family has purchased. Instead, if you sold something, we DO CARE how you treat your customers, and how you remedy a situation you said happens ONLY 5% of the time! Handling THAT many stones, you would assume that this is just a tiny piece in the lot, that unfortunately you could not sell at a ridiculous overcharge. But now, this ONE customer has been dissatisfied, and instead of being ethical and pleasing the customer, you try to keep scamming them, and in the end your greed for this "profit" will cause you to lose business more and more. Wholesale or retail, if you aren't careful, you could lose clients either way. Why should ANYONE buy from you?! This is ridiculous!

Dublin Girl, if you are out there, post and let us know what is going on. I would GLADLY help you in every way to get the TV stations tuned into this guy's business practices, seriously!
nono.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/9/2004 9:29:34 AM fire&ice wrote:

----------------
On 3/9/2004 4:58:20 AM chris-uk04 wrote:

Stop ducking the question!!!!----------------

Yeah, what he said. This is getting absolutely ridiculous. Sounds to me like you (diamonds4all) bullied Dublingirl into some sort of gag order. ----------------

I had the same thoughts myself, F&I. Whatever the agreement or settlement, DublinGirl cannot discuss the matter now.

Diamond4All,
Your comments about appraisers shows deep distrust. In my personal experience, people who lie, cheat, and steal themselves are the most vocal about seeing those traits in others.

"I cheat customers with misrepresentation so others participate in similar business practices as well."

That's what your statements have said to me.
angryfire.gif

diamond4all

Rough_Rock
Either you are all jewelers here or just hate people who are successful.
Did you stop and think: Why is he doing it? Just attorneys fees will cost him more than this ring. Not to mention all the other head aches and time spending to answer you guys uneducated remarks.
The answer is simple:
Like any other business - We had our share disputes before. And when it is our mistake - we shut up and pay!
Now, in this case - WE KNOW WE DID NOTHING WRONG and this can not be OUR RING!
We welcome any investigation from any government agency or TV Radio and will spend 3-4 times the cost of the ring to make a sample of this fraudulent transaction by this "Girl" or her "Friend" or this "Uncle".
Bring it on: You have our address, phone numbers our attorneys and all you need!
We have a little surprise to prove this is not our ring...
Bring it on - We have the funds and will spend whatever needed to prove that you are all wrong!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Careful there! Wouldn't wanna get your pretty suit dirty slinging all that MUD!!
naughty.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 3/9/2004 10:13:14 AM pqcollectibles wrote:

----------------
On 3/9/2004 9:29:34 AM fire&ice wrote:

Yeah, what he said. This is getting absolutely ridiculous. Sounds to me like you (diamonds4all) bullied Dublingirl into some sort of gag order. ----------------
I had the same thoughts myself, F&I. Whatever the agreement or settlement, DublinGirl cannot discuss the matter now.

----------------

My guess is that there has been no settlement. Most likely, DG has retained an attorney and on his/her advice is saying nothing further in public about this.

My feeling is that it's time to lock this thread, which is going nowhere in a hurry.

rolleyes.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
----------------

My feeling is that it's time to lock this thread, which is going nowhere in a hurry.

rolleyes.gif

----------------

There sure have been a string of those lately! Let's all get back to buying and evaluating diamonds. It's much more fun!!!

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
That 16 kilos was the crack you've been smokin'.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry Leonid - couldn't resist!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results