shape
carat
color
clarity

Disappointed in lack of response but...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You need someone to go the extra mile for you in a time crunch. If you work with WF ask for Lesley, she''s awesome. If you call GOG, which you should, Jonathon will go that extra mile. He''s great to work with. Either way, you will be one satisfied customer. I like them both, no favorites here. It''s going to come down to who finds you the stone that you want. Tick tock.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
VR many people in the diamond trade are Jewish and will be off the air during Shabat (sp?).

That is probably one reason you had little response.
I also do not think that particular request option is used that much. Most people do their own searches and narrrow it down, then contact the vendor listing or brokering the diamond(s)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2008 1:22:10 AM
Author: VR
arjunajane,

Thank you for your input. Gold Old Gold sounds really good. Are they?

As mentioned earlier, my friends wifes are holding my hand and had mixed reviews on Good Old Gold. I''m really going to bed now but would like to here more about Good Old Gold and others.

Many thanks,

VR
You''re welcome VR. I and the majority of PS''ers think they''re awesome. But you don''t need to take my word - when you have a minute just do a quick search of the forum and you''ll find many threads from satisfied customers.
here are a couple of examples I just found in a quick search:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gog-online-in-person-and-their-awesome-videos.74867/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/great-exeperience-with-goodoldgold-tim-jonathan.63195/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jonathan-at-gog-and-juan-manuel-of-van-graff-the-best-of-both-worlds.5116/

These are just random links that popped up, but you can get the drift. I am in no way saying they''re perfect, but the overwhelming experience is usually top notch.

I''m with Kaleigh though, and also think WF sound like great people. I think you''re decision should definately come down to who can find you the most suitable stone - it will be fun and interesting to have these two favourite PS vendors using their resources to help you with your challenge! Then when its done, hopefully you can create a new thread about your experience in comparing the two, and help future shoppers in your shoes..

But I''m getting ahead of myself!
I hope you can find what you want in your timeframe, and I''m confident that either WF or GOG will go the extra mile where needed (well said kaleigh)
1.gif
Do come back and keep us up to date!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2008 1:22:10 AM
Author: VR
arjunajane,

Thank you for your input. Gold Old Gold sounds really good. Are they?

As mentioned earlier, my friends wifes are holding my hand and had mixed reviews on Good Old Gold. I''m really going to bed now but would like to here more about Good Old Gold and others.

Many thanks,

VR

GOG are fantastic :) I have been working with Sarah (she is a complete sweetie :D) and she came through for me when another vendor didn''t :). I recommend them 110% :D Give them a call :D

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2008 12:36:43 AM
Author: FrekeChild
But can he get it by April 4th? Friday?
32.gif

Man if I were her, and from what I've got from his posts, I would want custom Leon Mege with a 5ct, IF, D, Ideal. And we all know that would take at least a month-after who knows how long designing it.

At least that's the way he makes it sound...

My guess is for $80k some of the vendors would bump him to the top of the line... ;-)

Did I miss where he described the setting that she wanted?

Seriously though, if you are in NYC, you can walk into Tiffany's and be out with an $80k ring in a size 6 the same day... haha

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2008 7:44:57 AM
Author: sna77

My guess is for $80k some of the vendors would bump him to the top of the line... ;-)

Did I miss where he described the setting that she wanted?

Seriously though, if you are in NYC, you can walk into Tiffany''s and be out with an $80k ring in a size 6 the same day... haha

ditto!! If she wants a simple solitaire just go there and get one and call it a day. If she wanted something a little more elabrate I''d want something from Harry Winston
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VR, you''ve been given GREAT advice here...I can''t imagine that your budget would be better spent in a B&M rather than on a fabulous online diamond based on the responses you''ve gotten. You have an awesome budget and I think we''ve all taken a likin to you. I guesss I''m probably only speaking for myself...I hope you''ll do your homework, choose a stone, and come back to post pics and/or stats to let us know that you were actually paying attention. Best of luck to you. I really hope that you can meet your lady''s demands!
35.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I scanned this thread, and didn''t see this point mentioned. Forgive me if I''m repeating. Stones of this size and caliber don''t grow on trees. In fact, you''d be hard pressed to find a handful of really nice stones to choose from, and in a few day?? I would really doubt it. These type of stones can take a while to find...

Is there a way to postpone the proposal? This is not something to rush, though I understand time is of the essence.

Also, BluNile has no upgrade policy, make sure she won''t want to do that in the future if you''re considering purchasing from them. I''d stick with GOG and WF. I have purchased from both companies, they are equally outstanding.

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
VR: are you an investment banker or hedge fund manager
20.gif

I know it has to be one or the other.

PS: It's not the budget that makes me think that. It's the "got to have it now" thing. LOL

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
Keep us Updated VR!!!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not purchased from either one, but I have heard more than enough positive feedback about both Whiteflash and GOG to give me peace of mind and shop with them in the future...I really think that you can''t go wrong with either!

But mrssalvo has a good point...you can find a gorgeous solitaire at Tiffany & Co that will be well within your budget. True, it will cost you more due to the name, but you are running out of time as you said, and this may just be your saving grace. Good luck!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2008 1:35:59 AM
Author: Kaleigh
You need someone to go the extra mile for you in a time crunch. If you work with WF ask for Lesley, she''s awesome. If you call GOG, which you should, Jonathon will go that extra mile. He''s great to work with. Either way, you will be one satisfied customer. I like them both, no favorites here. It''s going to come down to who finds you the stone that you want. Tick tock.
I agree.

VR - you need to contact the vendors directly instead of waiting around for quotes to come to you. It''s wasting precious time on such a tight deadline.

I''ve worked with Whiteflash and they are terrific. I told them the specs of what I wanted and they matched up the stones for me. Call the vendors you are interested instead of waiting for emails. Tell them what you want and see what they come up with.

~*kalypso*~

Rough_Rock
That''s a lot of cash to spend quickly in a short amount of time!
6.gif
Has she told you if she''s into names at all? Does that matter to her? You might want to ask...

If you''re in NYC or a city where there is a Harry Winston Salon, I''d call up Monday morning or walk-in, tell them your specs, budget, look at a few in person and pick it up that day or ship it to your home if you are out of NY state. No extra hassles of trying to find a nice setting to match the rock!!! The rings they have are all size 6 in store too so no waiting 6 weeks to receive it. If she hates it, or thinks you wasted your money for the premium name, just return it and let her pick one she likes herself after your deadline...
I really doubt she''d hate it!!! If you do go this route don''t forget to negotiate! They will most likely, especially on large purchases like yours. I think it would be kind of nice also for you to pick one in person as well since its such short notice, makes it a little more personal/special.

Or just find a place with really really good return policy so she can pick something she likes if what you picked wasn''t exactly perfect for her!!
35.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s really sad to rush into buying such a special piece of jewellery in such a tight time frame.

Here''s my advice:

Propose with no ring - just the words.

Then produce a really beautiful eternity band and tell her that''s to hold the place while you both shop for the ring of her dreams. (Also useful for travelling etc when she doesn''t want to take the e-ring for safety reasons).

Lots of us on PS were proposed to without a ring - trust me, shopping together is hugely romantic. Proposals are about promises of love and commitment, not diamonds. They are just something special to celebrate with afterwards.

I''d hate to see you spend a budget like that in haste rather than have something amazing that you know she loves because she helped pick it!

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2008 7:25:13 PM
Author: Pandora II
I think it''s really sad to rush into buying such a special piece of jewellery in such a tight time frame.

Here''s my advice:

Propose with no ring - just the words.

Then produce a really beautiful eternity band and tell her that''s to hold the place while you both shop for the ring of her dreams. (Also useful for travelling etc when she doesn''t want to take the e-ring for safety reasons).

Lots of us on PS were proposed to without a ring - trust me, shopping together is hugely romantic. Proposals are about promises of love and commitment, not diamonds. They are just something special to celebrate with afterwards.

I''d hate to see you spend a budget like that in haste rather than have something amazing that you know she loves because she helped pick it!

you realize you''re try to talk sense with a hedge fund manager. You''re not going to be appealing to his "soft" side. haha. My advice would be to get to Cartier, Harry Winston or Tiffany, walk in say "i want the nicest ring i can get for $80k" then walk out with something...

golden

Shiny_Rock
Your girlfriend has obviously made it clear as to what she wants, so I would definitely propose WITH "THE" ring.

I am big into name brands and so are the women I know; I live very close to Manhattan and most of the women I know have center stones that are at least 3 carats....and no one has a ring from a name brand store--no one says "where is it from", they look at the size before anything...and I would rather have a bigger stone and better/same quality stone from a reputable jeweler then from cartier, harry winston, or tiffany, etc...BUT....do you think your girlfriend would be excited to see an even bigger stone then what she specified? (I dont know anyone that wouldnt be) If she wants a name brand ring and really doesnt care for a stone bigger then what she specified, and you have the budget, I would then go the name brand way. It would always be fun to say "he propsed with a little red box" (cartier)....or blue for harry winstone.

BTW- does your 80k budget also include the wedding band??

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2008 9:49:54 PM
Author: golden
Your girlfriend has obviously made it clear as to what she wants, so I would definitely propose WITH ''THE'' ring.

I am big into name brands and so are the women I know; I live very close to Manhattan and most of the women I know have center stones that are at least 3 carats....and no one has a ring from a name brand store--no one says ''where is it from'', they look at the size before anything...and I would rather have a bigger stone and better/same quality stone from a reputable jeweler then from cartier, harry winston, or tiffany, etc...BUT....do you think your girlfriend would be excited to see an even bigger stone then what she specified? (I dont know anyone that wouldnt be) If she wants a name brand ring and really doesnt care for a stone bigger then what she specified, and you have the budget, I would then go the name brand way. It would always be fun to say ''he propsed with a little red box'' (cartier)....or blue for harry winstone.

BTW- does your 80k budget also include the wedding band??

I love the alternate universe that is Manhattan... haha.. I really miss living there, but soemtimes from afar, I see how absurd it was...

golden

Shiny_Rock
**winston

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
VR said that the size he wants at Tiffany was $110k, so I think that''s off the table.

And VR, I''m not actually that much of a diamond expert-Ellen or Lorelei are better suited there. However, most search engines allow you to enter table % and depth %, and I know that the best numbers there are 53-58% for the table and 58-62.3% for depth.

However, you also have to check pavillion angles and crown angles and a few other things, so your best bet is to start a new thread asking for help on a particular RB and get the experts like Ellen and Lorelei to give you their opinions.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2008 9:01:15 PM
Author: sna77

you realize you''re try to talk sense with a hedge fund manager. You''re not going to be appealing to his ''soft'' side. haha. My advice would be to get to Cartier, Harry Winston or Tiffany, walk in say ''i want the nicest ring i can get for $80k'' then walk out with something...
Yup - I work with one of the most successful hedgefunder''s in London. He owns the company.

I have never met anyone who flip flops and takes so long to decide about anything....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m kinda dissapointed VR hasn''t come back to tell us what he''s doing.
9.gif

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2008 12:36:23 PM
Author: Ellen
I'm kinda dissapointed VR hasn't come back to tell us what he's doing.
9.gif

Me too! I didn't contribute to the search in any way, but I was entertained by the whole process
3.gif
I wonder where VR disappeared to...

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
9.gif
Me too. VR - where are you? Any updates or is it at a standstill since it''s the weekend..?

winston26

Shiny_Rock
My FI is very skeptical and untrusting of all jewelers......and after M U C H obsession and deliberation, he finally purchased from Good Old Gold. Wonderful experience. AND we also worked with Whiteflash--although we didn't buy from them in the end, also a good experience. Point being, we spent a lot of time researching and PS really really saved us in so many ways. (Although when I asked about a PS discount, both said that didn't exist; the discount is really for paying by wire/cashier check instead of credit card.)

VR, I'm dying to know how long she had to wait!! Please....? I need to know if it is anywhere near as long as I had to wait (doubtful)!!! lol
At least you're trying to make it up to her
2.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
9.gif
I am very curious as well!

VR- I''ve you''ve not moved forward just yet, I would also recommend Mark and engagementringsdirect.com. He is located in the diamond district in NY, which means he has easy and fast access to a lot of stones. And this is very important considering your time constraints. And please come back and let us know what your plans are!
1.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if VR is up to his eyeballs in diamond dealings and that''s why he hasn''t been back, or he didn''t get the veracity of response he was looking for and moved on.

VR- please update us on your quest!!!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey VR disappointed in lack of response... to this thread! Come back!
35.gif

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
VR, so you don''t make a rash decision, have you considered proposing without a ring or like cinnamon suggested, with an eternity band and explain to her that you don''t want to rush into such a large purchase? Then, if you want her to help pick out the ring, you can do it together!

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2008 12:25:25 AM
With the deadline you want-I think the internet is going to be a stretch. I would go to Tiffany, Harry Winston, Cartier, or a reputable local jeweler. I think that will be key.

You still haven''t said anything about a setting. Are you going to propose with just the rock?

What state are you in?

And just how long has she waited?
Yes, how long? Since I waited for 15 years I was just wondering if anyone out there can beat my score.
2.gif

OK, VR...we''re waiting to see the rock!!
3.gif
Don''t forget about us!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2008 8:01:30 PM
Author: dianne

Date: 3/29/2008 12:25:25 AM
With the deadline you want-I think the internet is going to be a stretch. I would go to Tiffany, Harry Winston, Cartier, or a reputable local jeweler. I think that will be key.

You still haven''t said anything about a setting. Are you going to propose with just the rock?

What state are you in?

And just how long has she waited?
Yes, how long? Since I waited for 15 years I was just wondering if anyone out there can beat my score.
2.gif

OK, VR...we''re waiting to see the rock!!
3.gif
Don''t forget about us!
I think he did, a long time ago.
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results