shape
carat
color
clarity

Disappointed in lack of response but...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Dude, with the specs your GF gave you, there''s no way you need to spend $80k! Seriously. You can get her a ring within those specs, one that is amazing, without spending half that amount.

VR

Rough_Rock
cinnamon013,

After checking with her sister, the size is 6.

surfgirl,

What is available with the spec''s I provided?

VR

Rough_Rock
All,

Thank you again for your interest and help. My friends told me that this was a good forum to get help in securing a quality diamond and they are enjoying my fumbling through this process as I have managed to delay going through it a lot longer than many. I am excited, happy, and grateful to you all because you are bailing me out of the predicament I''ve managed to put myself in.

VR

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
With the deadline you want-I think the internet is going to be a stretch. I would go to Tiffany, Harry Winston, Cartier, or a reputable local jeweler. I think that will be key.

You still haven't said anything about a setting. Are you going to propose with just the rock?

What state are you in?

And just how long has she waited?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2008 12:07:23 AM
Author: VR
First, thanks to all that have provided insights. It is greatly appreciated!

The ridiculousness of my persistence resides in the fact that I need to have something by Friday, Apr 4th. Yes, I have managed to put myself in a bind. Especially since its her birthday.

Frekechild,

Thanks for your input; however, Caroline has a specific request and she has waited longer than anyone should have to wait. With that said, I want to give her exactly what she wants or something even better.

You must like working under a deadline!
23.gif
Not to worry, I bet you''ll be able to get a gorgeous diamond in time. However, you''ll probably have to propose with a simple 4 or 6 prong stock solitaire setting. That''s no big deal, though-many people propose with a "temporary" setting because you can always change it after you propose and she figures out what type of setting she likes.

Whiteflash is awesome-they sourced my diamond and custom made my setting and I absolutely love my ring. I had a great/pretty much perfect experience with them. Now, on to the diamond. Larger diamonds are hard to come by, but with your budget I think you can easily make it happen. And since you made her wait so long...how about just going for 3 carats?
11.gif

Hmm, I did a quick search using the Pricescope search engine and I only came up with 1 diamond-a 2.62 E VS1. However, if you contact WF or Good Old Gold, I bet they could find you more that are on lists consumers don''t have access to. (That''s how my diamond was sourced.) Because it''s the weekend, most diamond vendors aren''t open. However, I would definitely call Good Old Gold tomorrow and see what they have as well.

Whiteflash and Good Old Gold are probably the two vendors used most often and both have rave reviews from many, many members. There are several other great PS vendors, too. Engagement Rings Direct, James Allen and Winfield''s are 3 others that come to mind that are also used very often.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
This sounds like true love.
32.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2008 12:25:25 AM
Author: FrekeChild
With the deadline you want-I think the internet is going to be a stretch. I would go to Tiffany, Harry Winston, Cartier, or a reputable local jeweler. I think that will be key.

You still haven''t said anything about a setting. Are you going to propose with just the rock?

What state are you in?

And just how long has she waited?

Actually, I completely disagree-I think the internet is your best bet! A while back there was a thread by someone (CarolynW, I think?) whose sister in-law was looking for a diamond in the same size, and she was offered very few options by Cartier and Harry Winston. I actually think Cartier had only 1 ring to show her, maybe 2.

Tiffany might be a possibility, but their selection of diamonds in the size and color he needs is bound to be more limited than an internet vendor. Plus I don''t know that the size he is looking for would be in his budget at Tiffany. And as has been noted over and over again here, the diamonds at Tiffany, etc. are often not nearly as well cut as the diamonds offered by people like Whiteflash and Good Old Gold. This was made clear in CarolynW''s (? on the name again) thread as well.

So definitely stick with the internet for now!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2008 12:30:09 AM
Author: Isabelle
32.gif

Eh, just sounds to me like he has a "Lady In Waiting" on his hands who is done waiting! That''s what these boys get for putting off proposing for so long!
2.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
But can he get it by April 4th? Friday?
32.gif

Man if I were her, and from what I''ve got from his posts, I would want custom Leon Mege with a 5ct, IF, D, Ideal. And we all know that would take at least a month-after who knows how long designing it.

At least that''s the way he makes it sound...

VR

Rough_Rock
Frekechild,

Thanks for the update. On Tiffany''s, I went to them today and the price was $110K plus. I understand that I am battling time contraints but that seemed a little over-the-top.

My friends'' wifes are here and providing some insights as to how I can get this done. One idea was a temporary setting. I was given some assurances that the setting would not be plastic or something similar rather something like white gold and it sounded OK. What do you think?

VR

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok this is nowhere near his budget (only $19,000) but I know I''d be thrilled with this...pink diamonds? Gah!

Leon Mege 2.54ctw

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I were you I would also include F color diamonds in the search-there seem to be a lot more of those to choose from. Here''s an AGS0 3.17 F VS2 for $76k at Blue Nile.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&track=btntext_viewselect&elem=img&pid=LD01255431&filter_id=0

Keep in mind that a vendor like Whiteflash or GOG can most likely source these exact diamonds that Blue Nile has listed as well. So if I were you, I would still work with WF or GOG on this instead of Blue Nile.

Both WF and GOG have great upgrade policies so you can always go bigger in the future or change shapes/colors/etc..

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2008 12:36:43 AM
Author: FrekeChild
But can he get it by April 4th? Friday?
32.gif

Man if I were her, and from what I''ve got from his posts, I would want custom Leon Mege with a 5ct, IF, D, Ideal. And we all know that would take at least a month-after who knows how long designing it.

At least that''s the way he makes it sound...

Most of the diamond vendors use overnight FedEx shipping, so it''s definitely possible!

VR

Rough_Rock
Frekechild,

I can tell you''re a lot of fun:) But where are the diamonds from which to choose and how do I know they''re good?

From all I''ve heard, this is the place to find them.

VR

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I say go for it. Get the diamond in a plain white gold setting and then let her pick out whatever setting she wants-or design it custom.

You only have really 5 days for selection, setting, and transport. I would want it by Thursday just to be on the safe side-unless it just can''t be done. I would find as many diamonds from as many companies as possible-and see what they can do for you.

People are on pricescope 24/7 and can give you some kind of feedback pretty much right away.

And get her that Leon Mege ring I just posted just because...
3.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s an E/VS2 at Blue Nile for $88k.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&track=btntext_viewselect&elem=img&pid=LD01295104&filter_id=0

There''s also a D/VS2 for $85k.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&track=btntext_viewselect&elem=img&pid=LD00491074&filter_id=0

I think someone already posted these, but I''m too lazy to read back and see!
5.gif

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2008 12:34:59 AM
Author: thing2of2
Date: 3/29/2008 12:30:09 AM

Author: Isabelle

32.gif

Eh, just sounds to me like he has a ''Lady In Waiting'' on his hands who is done waiting!

LOL!

VR

Rough_Rock
thing2of2,

Spot on!

Isabelle,

You''re 2 for 2!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is entirely possible for him to get what he wants from WF and in time too. From GOG too for that matter. Traci is great, Allison who has already posted on here is fabulous... and so is Whiteflash in general.

They will give you your diamond options, ask them which one THEY would pick in your shoes, and trust their opinion as they have the stones in front of them.

As for settings. High quality settings are custom made to fit the actual stone in question. So I suggest a temporary setting, or no setting and a loose stone to propose with so that she can pick her own setting. Even if she wants a "simple" solitaire there are 100's of options.

WF and GOG can both overnight your ring/diamond to you if need be. I would spend about 70K on the stone (or rather UP TO 65-70K on the stone) and then give her a 10-15K setting budget. She can get just about any setting she wants for that price.

ETA: I suggest PHONING both vendors first thing (around 10am their local time... WF is in Houston and GOG is in NY) in the morning and taking it from there.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hee hee Thing2-I think I did.

I would call Good Old Gold and Whiteflash first thing tomorrow and tell them about your predicament. You''re looking for an Ideal cut, VS2 or better, colorless diamond, with at least 2.60ct in a plain white gold setting. If you tell them that, they can probably hook you up pretty well. And if you ask them what they think of the stone, they will most certainly give you an honest opinion. The cool thing about internet sellers is that they want you to be happy, they aren''t going to push a diamond on you just to make a sale, like other places (...cough mall jewelers cough...)

I really think it can be done-but I would start working on it immediately.

I think GOG and WF give PS discounts too.

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Well good luck. I am not a diamond vendor but there are plenty of experts on here. I think that you should involve her in the process and let her help choose the diamond. That way when her birthday comes next Friday you can still propose but she knows what is coming, and knows why her beautiful ring isn''t yet ready. I personally would not rush such an important, meaningful purchase as an engagement ring that she will be wearing for the rest of her life. Unless you know she wants a simple solitaire setting, I doubt she would want you to just cobble something together either. But good luck. You are in good hands at PS.

VR

Rough_Rock
thing2of2

Thanks for the links. The question I was given was "How do I know I''m getting ''ideal'' ranges"? While I''m not sure what this means, I was told that you probably will know. Can you inform me?

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2008 12:55:26 AM
Author: Gypsy
It is entirely possible for him to get what he wants from WF and in time too. From GOG too for that matter. Traci is great, Allison who has already posted on here is fabulous... and so is Whiteflash in general.

They will give you your diamond options, ask them which one THEY would pick in your shoes, and trust their opinion as they have the stones in front of them.

As for settings. High quality settings are custom made to fit the actual stone in question. So I suggest a temporary setting, or no setting and a loose stone to propose with so that she can pick her own setting. Even if she wants a ''simple'' solitaire there are 100''s of options.

WF and GOG can both overnight your ring/diamond to you if need be. I would spend about 70K on the stone (or rather UP TO 65-70K on the stone) and then give her a 10-15K setting budget. She can get just about any setting she wants for that price.

I like Gypsy''s advice!
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes WF and GOG give discounts to PS members so don''t forget to mention that when you talk to them. BN does not if I remember correctly. I''d put it in a temparary setting, or propose with the stone and let her choose the setting. I highly recommend www.theartofplatinum.com Leon is a master craftsman, his pieces are amazing. 4-6 weeks usually. But well worth the wait.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
VR, I have to say, I don''t think your listening!

Here''s what you should do, read carefully:
1. Get off the computer, and place a call to Good Old Gold - ask for Jonathan. Or, seeing as you said you liked WF, call them. (For the purpose of my example I will use GOG as thats where my experience lies
1.gif
).
2. Tell Jon what you want, and let him use his years of experience, vast knowledge and great "eyes" to find you a fabulous diamond for your fabulous budget.
3. GOG will bring in a couple for you to choose from likely by Monday or Tuesday at latest if you call today or Saturday.
4. Either take the one that Jon says is best, or post the info he gives you here and let the experts here decide for you. Or just roll a dice as Jon will only suggest great stones!
5. Have your new fabbo stone set in a temporary White gold stock setting for about $300, as you don''t have time for anything else. After the propsal, really take the time to find out what your beloved wants for her "dream setting", and have it made by an awesome PS recommended designer. Take all the time you like for this!
6. If you start now, you should have it shipped to you by thursday, all said and done.
7.Sit back and enjoy your new engagement ring and be happy in the knowledge that you will have purchased a top notch Ideal cut stone and that your lady will Love it, no matter how demanding she is!
oh, and 7. propose!
2.gif

There you go, done...Now GO!!
9.gif

VR

Rough_Rock
Wow! Traci from Whiteflash just emailed and said she was looking forward to hearing back from me this weekend. While she has not found ''the'' diamond, she seems really customer focused.

She seems pretty good even though I have not received anything back from any other company so I don''t have a lot to which to compare. I guess I''ll hang it up for tonight.

Thanks again to all on this forum for your help. I''ll be back fresh in the morning.

VR

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Arjuna. You said it much better than I did.

ETA: Probably see you in the morning then!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
In the morning call GOG. I am glad Traci is on this, not surprised, WF has excellent customer service. Nighty night!!!
24.gif

VR

Rough_Rock
arjunajane,

Thank you for your input. Gold Old Gold sounds really good. Are they?

As mentioned earlier, my friends wifes are holding my hand and had mixed reviews on Good Old Gold. I''m really going to bed now but would like to here more about Good Old Gold and others.

Many thanks,

VR

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results