shape
carat
color
clarity

Comparing two August Vintage Rounds (AVRS) 1.9 to 2.2 cts.!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Comparing two August Vintage Rounds (AVRS) 1.9 to 2.2 ct

Well it sounds like its all going to work out the way the universe has determined it should!! All is well in DS's world :bigsmile:

You did what felt right and that's the perfect thing for you - congratulations on that and I hope when you see the pics from GOG, it will help you decide which of the other 2 you prefer. Dust for a good photo shoot!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

Enerchi|1350432910|3286694 said:
Well it sounds like its all going to work out the way the universe has determined it should!! All is well in DS's world :bigsmile:

You did what felt right and that's the perfect thing for you - congratulations on that and I hope when you see the pics from GOG, it will help you decide which of the other 2 you prefer. Dust for a good photo shoot!
This! While I am a size hoe ( :naughty: ), I can understand your reservations with size and clarity. You did what was right for you, and that is great. Can't wait to see the photo shoot!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

armywife13|1350434688|3286723 said:

This! While I am a size hoe ( :naughty: ), I can understand your reservations with size and clarity. You did what was right for you, and that is great. Can't wait to see the photo shoot!

I appreciate that very much! When I said to Marie today that if I lived in a larger city I was sure it would be easier to manage a larger stone, she said...why don't you move?! :lol: Hmmm, maybe that is the answer! :lol:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1350435499|3286734 said:

I appreciate that very much! When I said to Marie today that if I lived in a larger city I was sure it would be easier to manage a larger stone, she said...why don't you move?! :lol: Hmmm, maybe that is the answer! :lol:
Hahaha. :lol: I like the way she thinks, live in a location that accommodates the large size you want. If my family moved to a larger city, I wonder if I could convince DH to allow me to go larger.... :Up_to_something:

D

Deactivated member 42515

armywife13 said:
diamondseeker2006|1350435499|3286734 said:

Hahaha. :lol: I like the way she thinks, live in a location that accommodates the large size you want. If my family moved to a larger city, I wonder if I could convince DH to allow me to go larger.... :Up_to_something:
I say we all move!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it's a smart decision, because you would have felt self-conscious about the size, and the clarity was not mind clean for you.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I still think when you get into the size range you are considering, half a millimeter makes NO difference to how OTHERS perceive your diamond, but makes a huge difference to how YOU perceive the faceting. Not saying to buy that 2.19, but I do think bigger is better for faceting and of little consequence socially. Huge is huge.

My gut is tell me that you need to wait more on this one. I feel like if you adored that 1.8 you would never have sent it back? I dunno. It also pains me vicariously to think about you paying so much for a VVS stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1350437110|3286753 said:
I still think when you get into the size range you are considering, half a millimeter makes NO difference to how OTHERS perceive your diamond, but makes a huge difference to how YOU perceive the faceting. Not saying to buy that 2.19, but I do think bigger is better for faceting and of little consequence socially. Huge is huge.

My gut is tell me that you need to wait more on this one. I feel like if you adored that 1.8 you would never have sent it back? I dunno. It also pains me vicariously to think about you paying so much for a VVS stone.

Dreamer, to be honest, the VVS pains me, too. :sick: I loved it but sent it back because of the color. I would have rather had an H VS1 or VS2 over I VVS1 (or an I VS1 for less money). Lots of compromises no matter which way I turn.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have to agree with the two of you here - I think if the color had been acceptable on the 1.8, you probably would have kept it from the beginning. I guess you'll get one more shot at looking at the color so that you can finally decide whether it's a go or not.

Even if I had to wait quite a while, I wouldn't settle on a big issue like color if it just didn't sit well with me. It can't be your forever stone if it doesn't hit the high points on your priority list and you'd just come full circle over time.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MissGotRocks|1350441210|3286814 said:
I have to agree with the two of you here - I think if the color had been acceptable on the 1.8, you probably would have kept it from the beginning. I guess you'll get one more shot at looking at the color so that you can finally decide whether it's a go or not.

Even if I had to wait quite a while, I wouldn't settle on a big issue like color if it just didn't sit well with me. It can't be your forever stone if it doesn't hit the high points on your priority list and you'd just come full circle over time.

I know. I just saw a branded 1.8 I VS2 H&A for $15k and even adding on some for the specialty cut, it means I am paying a good bit for the VVS1. I am not going to do it unless I am convinced that it is exactly what I want (other than the high clarity).

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock

Hey DS...
So what is the next step here?? Are you having the 1.8 sent to you again? Or are you having GOG make a video? I can't remember. I am eager to know! :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dougsgirl|1350522323|3287463 said:
Hey DS...
So what is the next step here?? Are you having the 1.8 sent to you again? Or are you having GOG make a video? I can't remember. I am eager to know! :bigsmile:

Hi, DG! :wavey: The next step is to see a picture of the 1.8 next to a high I color and the 1.9 J on a white background to see the color difference. My diamonds were sent back overnight but the 1.8 was sent back through the USPS so I am hoping it will arrive at GOG tomorrow! I do love the faceting of that stone and think it is a good size for me, so the color is the issue I need to resolve. It may be as close as I'll ever come to what I want, so I want to be careful not to pass it up if I feel like it will face up white enough. I am paying a little extra for VVS clarity, but I think I'd rather the clarity to be higher than I need than lower! But if it is going to be my primary e-ring, I just want to make sure the color is pleasing. As I told you before, I like lower colors in the AVC's because of the very large facets.

So we'll see what happens!

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock

What color is the 1.8 again??

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dougsgirl|1350524493|3287491 said:

It is I color, but I could see the tint in it whereas I couldn't in the 2.19 I color stone.

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1350525791|3287503 said:

It is I color, but I could see the tint in it whereas I couldn't in the 2.19 I color stone.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, that is important. And it's the reason you didn't buy this stone in the first place, correct??

Color is an interesting thing... Sometimes I notice mine, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I like the color when I see it, sometimes I don't care for it. It does contrast with my halo/melee in some lights, and depending on the light source, sometimes I like the contrast, and sometimes I don't.
I think if my stone didn't have a halo, I probably would never notice. But, it is what it is, and MY choice was size first, color second. So I got the biggest nearly-white stone that I could afford.

You are more color sensitive than me. Good thing you are checking it out again. I'm eager to hear the results!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dougsgirl|1350527864|3287527 said:
diamondseeker2006|1350525791|3287503 said:

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, that is important. And it's the reason you didn't buy this stone in the first place, correct??

Color is an interesting thing... Sometimes I notice mine, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I like the color when I see it, sometimes I don't care for it. It does contrast with my halo/melee in some lights, and depending on the light source, sometimes I like the contrast, and sometimes I don't.
I think if my stone didn't have a halo, I probably would never notice. But, it is what it is, and MY choice was size first, color second. So I got the biggest nearly-white stone that I could afford.

You are more color sensitive than me. Good thing you are checking it out again. I'm eager to hear the results!

Well, I liked an L and M in AVC's and I would like the contrast between a J and the halo, definitely! But the color seems to be more concentrated in rounds due to smaller facets or something, and I just don't like it as much as I do in the cushions. I just don't want to pay for an I if it looks like a J. I'd rather pay the price of a J!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pictures...face up...gorgeous facet pattern. In sunlight, I can definitely see a tint compared to my G rb. I could not see a tint in the 2.19 I stone. (Ugh, such sausage fingers that day!)

avr1_img_4.jpg

img_0024.jpg

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock

Yes, I can particularly see it in the bottom picture. But is that your G that has the the strong fluorescence? Would that add to the contrast between the stones even more?
And the question is... If you cover up the G stone, and are not comparing the 2, does the AVR look white enough on it's own? To me, in the top picture it looks super white, and in the bottom picture it looks slightly "champagney"... which I LOVE!

And I have to say... your MRB is a beautiful stone, but the faceting just does nothing for me in comparison with the AVR or an OEC/OMC. I don't know what it is about the old-style cuts... but they just have my heart!!! :love: :love:

I would sure love to see this AVR in that VanC setting that you are admiring!!
And is the (expensive) 2.2 AVR completely out of the running??

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock

I say.. BOTH!

That larger one looks suuuuppppeerrrrrr good on your finger, though!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dougsgirl|1350530333|3287547 said:
Yes, I can particularly see it in the bottom picture. But is that your G that has the the strong fluorescence? Would that add to the contrast between the stones even more?
And the question is... If you cover up the G stone, and are not comparing the 2, does the AVR look white enough on it's own? To me, in the top picture it looks super white, and in the bottom picture it looks slightly "champagney"... which I LOVE!

And I have to say... your MRB is a beautiful stone, but the faceting just does nothing for me in comparison with the AVR or an OEC/OMC. I don't know what it is about the old-style cuts... but they just have my heart!!! :love: :love:

I know! My thread for the 1.8 back in August was named something like "I am in LOVE with an AVR!!!"! :lol: I have also been won over by the old style cuts! :love:

In some ways it would be good to get this stone because if I ever am fortunate enough to get an AVC or antique cushion, it will likely be J color or lower. That way the colors won't be too far apart. I feel like the size is probably good...I didn't have one of those ring holder things with the 1.8 stone so I couldn't wear it on my finger like the other two. It is 7.8mm and I am sure I don't want to go over 8mm, so it may be about as close as I can get to a 2 ct stone while staying under that mark for price purposes.

Yes, I let the other lady have the 2.2 ct. stone because she was really wanting over 2 cts. and it simply was a little too big for me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TitanCi|1350531581|3287559 said:
I say.. BOTH!

That larger one looks suuuuppppeerrrrrr good on your finger, though!!!

Thanks, Titan! I wish I could pull it off! The top contender at the moment is the stone I just posted a couple of posts up. It is in between the size of the two stones at the beginning of this thread (8.2mm, 7.8mm, 7.7mm)

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1350532505|3287570 said:

I know! My thread for the 1.8 back in August was named something like "I am in LOVE with an AVR!!!"! :lol: I have also been won over by the old style cuts! :love:

In some ways it would be good to get this stone because if I ever am fortunate enough to get an AVC or antique cushion, it will likely be J color or lower. That way the colors won't be too far apart. I feel like the size is probably good...I didn't have one of those ring holder things with the 1.8 stone so I couldn't wear it on my finger like the other two. It is 7.8mm and I am sure I don't want to go over 8mm, so it may be about as close as I can get to a 2 ct stone while staying under that mark for price purposes.

Yes, I let the other lady have the 2.2 ct. stone because she was really wanting over 2 cts. and it simply was a little too big for me.

Was that the 2ct stone that was the newer, more expensive one?? The one that you said would have been perfect if it was in the price range??

And it's funny about the size difference between cushions and rounds. My stone is 1.87 ct and it measures 7.11 x 7.5. So your 1.8 will look considerably bigger than mine. That's a great size! My halo probably adds 2mm length and width (so, 9.1 x 9.5) It has great finger coverage, but if it were ALL diamond and no halo, that would be a mighty big rock!! But I don't think 8.2 would be too big... at least not for me!! :naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dougsgirl|1350534161|3287589 said:
diamondseeker2006|1350532505|3287570 said:

Was that the 2ct stone that was the newer, more expensive one?? The one that you said would have been perfect if it was in the price range??

And it's funny about the size difference between cushions and rounds. My stone is 1.87 ct and it measures 7.11 x 7.5. So your 1.8 will look considerably bigger than mine. That's a great size! My halo probably adds 2mm length and width (so, 9.1 x 9.5) It has great finger coverage, but if it were ALL diamond and no halo, that would be a mighty big rock!! But I don't think 8.2 would be too big... at least not for me!! :naughty:

Yes, the cushions do face up smaller for the weight. The AVC's I looked at were in the same size range as yours. But those do great in halo settings, and that is one reason I want the AVR in a non-halo in case I someday get an AVC! The 2.2 is the one that was an I SI1 and it was in budget but just too big. They also have a 2.12 I VS1 that is several thousand dollars more (as in over $30k) and I cannot justify spending that much. I would have gotten the 2.2 if I had felt I could pull off a stone that size. It was very fun to pretend, though!

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock

OUCH!! That IS expensive!! I'm sure it's in SOME people's budgets.. but not mine. My AVC was half that and it is still probably the most expensive diamond of anyone I know IRL.

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1350534909|3287593 said:
Yes, the cushions do face up smaller for the weight. The AVC's I looked at were in the same size range as yours. But those do great in halo settings, and that is one reason I want the AVR in a non-halo in case I someday get an AVC! The 2.2 is the one that was an I SI1 and it was in budget but just too big. They also have a 2.12 I VS1 that is several thousand dollars more (as in over $30k) and I cannot justify spending that much. I would have gotten the 2.2 if I had felt I could pull off a stone that size. It was very fun to pretend, though!

I can't imaging ever hearing those words come out of my mouth!! :lol:

Polished

Brilliant_Rock

I love the look of the warmer colour in the AVR in those two photos above. Admitedly it's from the top view, rather than the side, but the slight warmth seems to enhance the softer, old cut. It feels like you have to shift your expectations of diamond beauty and appreciate in a new and fresh way. Ice might only numb the hot buttered rum.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Polished|1350596223|3288136 said:
I love the look of the warmer colour in the AVR in those two photos above. Admitedly it's from the top view, rather than the side, but the slight warmth seems to enhance the softer, old cut. It feels like you have to shift your expectations of diamond beauty and appreciate in a new and fresh way. Ice might only numb the hot buttered rum.

I really think you are right! My mistake was comparing it to my rb. But it had such a pretty cut. I think the right setting will make all the difference, too.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I would rather see you get a stone where you could not see the tint at all but it was .2mm "too big" than a stone you can see the tint in and pay for VVS to boot!

The bigger whiter stone would be all about YOU, but the smaller stone seems all about worrying what others will think (i.e. "pulling it off"). I bet you one million dollars, once set and worn on its own, no one ELSE would ever be able to tell the 7.8mm from the 8.2mm. Never ever ever in a billion years. But you would totally see the difference in tint and facet size.

In fact, I bet you a million more dollars ;)) no one but you and people you explicitly tell about the upgrade would ever even know you had changed from your current stone! I know this because no one has ever commented or noticed by upgrades and you know I have gone way bigger in size in my jumps -- 6.8 to 8mm. But that is the last I will say about that ;))

I support you and enjoy whatever you get, but I am concerned you are being swayed by things only in your head -- specifically, the idea that other people will notice or care about a .4mm increase in size -- when in reality no one will notice or care. And that misperception is stopping you from getting somthing that a) you love and b) is objectively better (i.e., whiter and bigger facets for same price).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1350618301|3288386 said:
I would rather see you get a stone where you could not see the tint at all but it was .2mm "too big" than a stone you can see the tint in and pay for VVS to boot!

The bigger whiter stone would be all about YOU, but the smaller stone seems all about worrying what others will think (i.e. "pulling it off"). I bet you one million dollars, once set and worn on its own, no one ELSE would ever be able to tell the 7.8mm from the 8.2mm. Never ever ever in a billion years. But you would totally see the difference in tint and facet size.

In fact, I bet you a million more dollars ;)) no one but you and people you explicitly tell about the upgrade would ever even know you had changed from your current stone! I know this because no one has ever commented or noticed by upgrades and you know I have gone way bigger in size in my jumps -- 6.8 to 8mm. But that is the last I will say about that ;))

I support you and enjoy whatever you get, but I am concerned you are being swayed by things only in your head -- specifically, the idea that other people will notice or care about a .4mm increase in size -- when in reality no one will notice or care. And that misperception is stopping you from getting somthing that a) you love and b) is objectively better (i.e., whiter and bigger facets for same price).

I agree with Dreamer.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer, Phonenix, Dougsgirl, I know, I am a bad PSer! :nono:

I think we just all have to set limits of specs and I think my limit for a round stone is I VS2 and 2cts/8mm. There is a big visual difference in 7.8mm and 8.2mm! I am hoping Jon will take a color picture for me today, and I will also ask him to take a size picture for me of the 2.12 ct. 8.15mm I VS1 along side the 1.8 just to see that difference. I wish I had time to go up there, but I just don't.

I am not going to settle for something I don't like, I promise. I need to talk to him about how much it might cost to have an 8mm stone cut. He will know how big of a stone would be needed for the recut. But I also may really like the 1.8 if I am not comparing it to my G stone. I guess I'd rather pay a little extra for the clarity than settle for a lower clarity than I really want. But VS1 is my preference and I'd never choose VVS unless that was the only choice, and that is the case with the current inventory...unless I decide to go for the 2.12 :naughty: (but I think I like the old facet pattern better).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results