shape
carat
color
clarity

Comparing two August Vintage Rounds (AVRS) 1.9 to 2.2 cts.!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Comparing two August Vintage Rounds (AVRS) 1.9 to 2.2 ct

I'm still voting for the 2.12! Sell your current stone to get the one that will be 'it' if need be but just don't settle for something you won't be happy with in the long run. Lower color and higher clarity just don't seem to fit the bill here IMO - it's just what is available now. There will be other stones even if you have to wait a few months. My grandmother always used to say that haste makes waste!

I went from a 2.02 to a 2.22 stone in my last upgrade. No one except me could see the size difference but I didn't upgrade for size. It was as if you had taken the 2.02 and drawn a circle around the outside edge - that's what the size difference amounted to. I knew where the outside of the former stone fell in relation to my setting and my then wedding band - that's really the only way I could tell the difference. My eyes adjusted to that very quickly but no one else really noticed!

e-ring127

Rough_Rock

Dreamer_D|1350618301|3288386 said:
I would rather see you get a stone where you could not see the tint at all but it was .2mm "too big" than a stone you can see the tint in and pay for VVS to boot!

The bigger whiter stone would be all about YOU, but the smaller stone seems all about worrying what others will think (i.e. "pulling it off"). I bet you one million dollars, once set and worn on its own, no one ELSE would ever be able to tell the 7.8mm from the 8.2mm. Never ever ever in a billion years. But you would totally see the difference in tint and facet size.

In fact, I bet you a million more dollars ;)) no one but you and people you explicitly tell about the upgrade would ever even know you had changed from your current stone! I know this because no one has ever commented or noticed by upgrades and you know I have gone way bigger in size in my jumps -- 6.8 to 8mm. But that is the last I will say about that ;))

I support you and enjoy whatever you get, but I am concerned you are being swayed by things only in your head -- specifically, the idea that other people will notice or care about a .4mm increase in size -- when in reality no one will notice or care. And that misperception is stopping you from getting somthing that a) you love and b) is objectively better (i.e., whiter and bigger facets for same price).

I'm a still a lurker for the most part, but I had to +1 this :appl:

I'm also beginning to wonder if you are truly comfortable with an "I" color grading or you are basing your opinion off the unusually colorless 2.20. Plus I can't help but remember that you were reluctant about the larger table of the 1.8 and that you preferred the cut(table) of the 2.20 and the 1.9. I'm starting to question what preferences are truly your own... My gut tells me you keep allowing yourself to be swayed by your concerns for others perception. Like I said, I'm a newbie so I apologize if I'm out of line voicing my opinion, but I don't seem to be the only one who feels this way.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MissGotRocks|1350655073|3288534 said:
I'm still voting for the 2.12! Sell your current stone to get the one that will be 'it' if need be but just don't settle for something you won't be happy with in the long run. Lower color and higher clarity just don't seem to fit the bill here IMO - it's just what is available now. There will be other stones even if you have to wait a few months. My grandmother always used to say that haste makes waste!

I went from a 2.02 to a 2.22 stone in my last upgrade. No one except me could see the size difference but I didn't upgrade for size. It was as if you had taken the 2.02 and drawn a circle around the outside edge - that's what the size difference amounted to. I knew where the outside of the former stone fell in relation to my setting and my then wedding band - that's really the only way I could tell the difference. My eyes adjusted to that very quickly but no one else really noticed!

I definitely understand easily adjusting to that size increase, but I am going from a 7.5mm stone so there is a bigger visual difference. But I will talk to Jon today and see what we can do. I want to see the picture of the 2.12 next to the 1.8 because I am afraid I might like the cut on the 1.8 better than the new cut on the 2.12. But I am not sure about that and it is hard not seeing them all in person! I agree, though, that other people really don't care and often don't notice!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

DS, are you very far from NYC? Would it be worth an investment in a flight to go and check them out in person? Not sure if you are on the other side of the earth or not ( :D ) but perhaps the cost to see them in person may be worth the agonizing over the decision??

May not be do-able, but thought I'd make the suggestion! How about picking Oct 30 as a day to go to NYC? Meet me in the Diamond District!!

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock

Don't forget, Single Stone will be in NY the 26th-you mentioned the setting could make all the difference.... :saint: :praise: wish I could go ;-)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I do get what DS is saying though--believe it or not, there are some of us who do find a diamond to be too big for us to wear comfortably! :o Crazy but true. 7.5 mm to 8.2 mm is (to me) a big difference. I had a 7.83 mm stone in a halo, and it was just way too big for me; I always felt uncomfortable owning it. Even when a bunch of people assured me, I still felt self-conscious. Do we get our Pricescope memberships revoked? :lol:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No, of course you may keep your memberships!! Ha - good one though!!

A halo is different than a single stone though. I totally get wearing what you are comfortable with - that's not really the issue. There are so many variables here and just so many stones to choose from. Because of this, I think it's best that DS not back herself into a corner over a bit more size. I think color, clarity and price are the more important issues here. I think we're all just saying not to forego a stone you might really love just because it is a bit larger in size. DSS can set in quickly too!

I think DS is a pretty strong willed lady and while she is being gracious in receiving all of our comments and advice, she will go with what she thinks is best. In the end, we really do need to please ourselves. The rest is just the rest and we all know what they say about opinions. . . .

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock

Enerchi|1350663181|3288608 said:
DS, are you very far from NYC? Would it be worth an investment in a flight to go and check them out in person? Not sure if you are on the other side of the earth or not ( :D ) but perhaps the cost to see them in person may be worth the agonizing over the decision??

May not be do-able, but thought I'd make the suggestion! How about picking Oct 30 as a day to go to NYC? Meet me in the Diamond District!!
+1 to this!! I will be there too!! :appl:

backwardsandinheels said:
Don't forget, Single Stone will be in NY the 26th-you mentioned the setting could make all the difference.... :saint: :praise: wish I could go ;-)
I heard about this... A trunk show in Greenwich, right? What does that mean exactly? I will be in NYC that day, what makes a "trunk show"?? Is it worth a look-see?? Thanks!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Is this on the table? Are you considering keeing your RB when you get the AVC? Because if there is the option of selling the RB and getting the 2.12 I VS1, even thought its a lot of money, I still think its better to have one perfect piece than two compromises (or one compromise and another ring you don't "need"). I had to sell one of my rings I loved loved loved to get my solitaire, because the price was more than I had planned to spend, and that was tough but in the end I am super glad I went that route because I just adore beyond words this ring. I want you to adore your ring beyond words :)) If it costs more -- but still costs less or the same as two diamonds would cost -- well as long as the nejoyment is proportionately greater its a WIN!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

MissGotRocks|1350664804|3288628 said:

A halo is different than a single stone though. I totally get wearing what you are comfortable with - that's not really the issue. There are so many variables here and just so many stones to choose from. Because of this, I think it's best that DS not back herself into a corner over a bit more size. I think color, clarity and price are the more important issues here. I think we're all just saying not to forego a stone you might really love just because it is a bit larger in size. DSS can set in quickly too!

I think DS is a pretty strong willed lady and while she is being gracious in receiving all of our comments and advice, she will go with what she thinks is best. In the end, we really do need to please ourselves. The rest is just the rest and we all know what they say about opinions. . . .

As usual, so well said! Especially agree with the bolded. MGR you are a smart and classy gal.

ETA: OOH I also would like to see a single stone trunk show. If I was getting a modern repro of an antique style, there is really no other vendor I would choose personally.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

e-ring127|1350657545|3288556 said:
Dreamer_D|1350618301|3288386 said:
I would rather see you get a stone where you could not see the tint at all but it was .2mm "too big" than a stone you can see the tint in and pay for VVS to boot!

The bigger whiter stone would be all about YOU, but the smaller stone seems all about worrying what others will think (i.e. "pulling it off"). I bet you one million dollars, once set and worn on its own, no one ELSE would ever be able to tell the 7.8mm from the 8.2mm. Never ever ever in a billion years. But you would totally see the difference in tint and facet size.

In fact, I bet you a million more dollars ;)) no one but you and people you explicitly tell about the upgrade would ever even know you had changed from your current stone! I know this because no one has ever commented or noticed by upgrades and you know I have gone way bigger in size in my jumps -- 6.8 to 8mm. But that is the last I will say about that ;))

I support you and enjoy whatever you get, but I am concerned you are being swayed by things only in your head -- specifically, the idea that other people will notice or care about a .4mm increase in size -- when in reality no one will notice or care. And that misperception is stopping you from getting somthing that a) you love and b) is objectively better (i.e., whiter and bigger facets for same price).

I'm a still a lurker for the most part, but I had to +1 this :appl:

I'm also beginning to wonder if you are truly comfortable with an "I" color grading or you are basing your opinion off the unusually colorless 2.20. Plus I can't help but remember that you were reluctant about the larger table of the 1.8 and that you preferred the cut(table) of the 2.20 and the 1.9. I'm starting to question what preferences are truly your own... My gut tells me you keep allowing yourself to be swayed by your concerns for others perception. Like I said, I'm a newbie so I apologize if I'm out of line voicing my opinion, but I don't seem to be the only one who feels this way.

Welcome! You have gorgeous rings in your avatar picture!

I am okay with high to mid I color in antique style stones. I'd probably go even lower in a true antique ring. I am just not wild about the lower end of any grade because it seems like you are paying for grade and getting a little lower than it could be. The best value is getting a color on the high end of a grade!

You certainly should give your opinion! I wore a 1 ct. stone for many years, so that is probably why I feel uneasy with a 2+ carat diamond. It took me a long while to even adjust to 1.6 cts! So to go to 1.8 is making progress! :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Enerchi|1350663181|3288608 said:

Oh I wish I had the time, Enerchi! I could probably fly free so the travel expense is not an issue. But it is just hard to get away for numerous reasons during the school year! It would be great fun, though!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

backwardsandinheels|1350663921|3288616 said:

I saw that!!!! It would be wonderful to go!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Laila619|1350664293|3288621 said:
I do get what DS is saying though--believe it or not, there are some of us who do find a diamond to be too big for us to wear comfortably! :o Crazy but true. 7.5 mm to 8.2 mm is (to me) a big difference. I had a 7.83 mm stone in a halo, and it was just way too big for me; I always felt uncomfortable owning it. Even when a bunch of people assured me, I still felt self-conscious. Do we get our Pricescope memberships revoked? :lol:

:lol: Yay! As I said, most people have a comfort limit...for some it might be 1 ct. some 5 carats, and the rest of us in between somewhere!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MissGotRocks|1350664804|3288628 said:

All very good points as always, MGR! I am following all the advice from you girls not to settle. I am only going to get the 1.8 IF I think I truly love it and want it for my permanent stone. I am going to explore all the options!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1350673366|3288723 said:

Is this on the table? Are you considering keeing your RB when you get the AVC? Because if there is the option of selling the RB and getting the 2.12 I VS1, even thought its a lot of money, I still think its better to have one perfect piece than two compromises (or one compromise and another ring you don't "need"). I had to sell one of my rings I loved loved loved to get my solitaire, because the price was more than I had planned to spend, and that was tough but in the end I am super glad I went that route because I just adore beyond words this ring. I want you to adore your ring beyond words :)) If it costs more -- but still costs less or the same as two diamonds would cost -- well as long as the nejoyment is proportionately greater its a WIN!

I don't want to spend that much, but I have to at least consider it. I would likely sell the 1.58 anyway once I get an AVR since I'd probably rather have a different shape for a second stone (if I ever had one).

I love the part you wrote that I put in bold...I appreciate that and do think that is the way I should feel about my stone as well! :appl: Otherwise I need to WAIT!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1350673532|3288725 said:
As usual, so well said! Especially agree with the bolded. MGR you are a smart and classy gal.

ETA: OOH I also would like to see a single stone trunk show. If I was getting a modern repro of an antique style, there is really no other vendor I would choose personally.

I agree that MGR is a smart and classy gal as are all of my friends here!

Singlestone has a setting that I have wanted for a long time for a cushion, but I have a couple of other ideas for a round and my inclination is to let Victor do it. But the diamond must come first!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1350677807|3288789 said:
Dreamer_D|1350673532|3288725 said:

I agree that MGR is a smart and classy gal as are all of my friends here!

Singlestone has a setting that I have wanted for a long time for a cushion, but I have a couple of other ideas for a round and my inclination is to let Victor do it. But the diamond must come first!

Well Victor ain't too shabby either :lol: A little more modern but with an antique flair. I think that suits you well! ETA: I never would have pegged myself for the antiquey type or the bezel type. But I think I did not have a type. all I knew was I did not really like any of the solitaires I have owned, and when it came to trying to decide on setting diamonds into a three stone I was utterly stumped for the style, because I felt like I could not get it all somehow. Anyways, it turns out I really do love milgrain and engraving and filigree, so much that my pendant is a similar style and I really love it too. Subtle antigue works for me. Anyways, for you I hope you can try on some settings before you decide onTHE ONE. Even if you buy fakes with similar "feels"? There is something about having it on your hand that makes all the difference. And as I have found, the "whole package", stone and setting, really matters.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer, I have to agree that settings are hard to figure out when we don't have access to try them on. The settings are much harder than the stones for me. And the only reason this diamond is hard is because I have chosen a specialty cut that is very limited in production!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1350689381|3288915 said:
Dreamer, I have to agree that settings are hard to figure out when we don't have access to try them on. The settings are much harder than the stones for me. And the only reason this diamond is hard is because I have chosen a specialty cut that is very limited in production!
Oh I feel the same way as you!!! Or if you go see them in person they are soooo different then in pics, just more delicate, etc.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

I keep checking this thread, hoping for some news! :halo:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks, Skippy! I know you can relate to the setting dilemma! I think maybe we both ought to consider a cheap temp setting just to be able to wear the diamonds while waiting to find the right setting!

Dougsgirl, I just saw your question about the trunk show. It is when a vendor packs up a selection of their products and takes them to another location to show them. In this case, Singlestone is going to Greenwich Jewelers in NYC. The great thing about Greenwich is they carry other beautiful brands as well, so it is a wonderful place to visit and especially if someone is looking for a setting. Unfortunately our daughter is in a regional cross country event that day, so there is just no way I could come since we have reservations to go there. Are you going to GOG while you are there? You could look at diamonds for me! :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay, I got a picture of the face up shots of the 1.81 I, 1.9 J, and 2.12 I. I really prefer the old facet pattern of the 1.8 I the best. So at least I know one thing. I don't have a side view of the colors yet.

_1415.jpg

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1350757588|3289166 said:
Okay, I got a picture of the face up shots of the 1.81 I, 1.9 J, and 2.12 I. I really prefer the old facet pattern of the 1.8 I the best. So at least I know one thing. I don't have a side view of the colors yet.
I agree with you. As much as I would like to say that you should go for the 2.12 because of the size, my eyes are drawn to the 1.81. I much prefer the face pattern of the 1.81.

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock

Diamondseeker, all those three diamonds are gorgeous!!! It's very hard to tell the color difference from this picture.

Dougsgirl, I talked to Patti from singlestone and she said Ari would be bringing a lot of beautiful pieces of jewelry! I'm going and very excited! Greenwich Jewelers is a very small store located in battery park city/financial district. It's only a 20 min subway ride away from the 47th street diamond district. If you have time, I'd suggest that you stop by :)

chicam

Shiny_Rock

I like the 1.91 and 2.12 better. They appear more crisp.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

armywife13|1350758379|3289178 said:
I agree with you. As much as I would like to say that you should go for the 2.12 because of the size, my eyes are drawn to the 1.81. I much prefer the face pattern of the 1.81.

I agree, and knowing what you like in older cuts DS, I think the 1.81 is more your style. Less blocky contrast under the table, more even distribution of facet size accross the face of the stone.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

I love the 1.81! Did Jonathon permanently change the facet structure of the AVR'S? If so did he say why? I prefer the old cutting style.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Sakuracherry|1350758695|3289179 said:
Diamondseeker, all those three diamonds are gorgeous!!! It's very hard to tell the color difference from this picture.

Dougsgirl, I talked to Patti from singlestone and she said Ari would be bringing a lot of beautiful pieces of jewelry! I'm going and very excited! Greenwich Jewelers is a very small store located in battery park city/financial district. It's only a 20 min subway ride away from the 47th street diamond district. If you have time, I'd suggest that you stop by :)

Minor threadjack-If anyone attends this trunk show please take pictures if they allow it! It's killing me that I can't go ;(
Thank you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

woofmama|1350768300|3289262 said:

I love the 1.81! Did Jonathon permanently change the facet structure of the AVR'S? If so did he say why? I prefer the old cutting style.

I think he just wanted to try some with the even higher crown and smaller tables of the Old European Cuts, but I have decided that I like the ones he did before better. Don't get me wrong, the 1.9 J was beautiful, but I am very drawn to the style of the 1.8 and Dreamer and Demelza's antique stones.

I am sure it was not a permanent change, and I am telling him my preference and mention that others here also prefer the original style of AVR just to be sure he gets that feedback and will continue cutting that style.

It will likely be Tuesday before I have the color comparison photos.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results