shape
carat
color
clarity

Comparing two August Vintage Rounds (AVRS) 1.9 to 2.2 cts.!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Comparing two August Vintage Rounds (AVRS) 1.9 to 2.2 ct

Mico|1350346139|3286024 said:
diamondseeker2006|1350270158|3285321 said:
Mico|1350269418|3285317 said:
i'm drooling

p.s. i'm a bit partial to 2ct I stones ;-)

Your ring looks beautiful but I am not seeing a Show Me the Bling thread! :naughty:

!!! It's coming! I uploaded the pictures on my Fi's comp, which used to be here... and then i didn't realize he took it back. I could've spent this past weekend doing a dual photo shoot!!

This weekend... promise ;-)

we'll all just make do with your amazing photo skills, i'm still learning :loopy:

Ha! I am still learning, too! Can't wait to see your ring!

wintotty

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1350347175|3286039 said:
Here is a picture with the right head on the shank. And you have the option of pointed prongs, too. The setting fee varies depending on the prongs. It is style 484 large.

Actually it's the other way around....I want the setting of the 1st pic I posted (thin band) with the head like the flower detail of the 2nd pic.

The one you are coveting is gorgeous piece, but I'm afraid I can't really see the gorgeous side detail with the size of the stone I'm getting. So I'm just trying to stay simple on the band itself and add some uniqueness on the head/shank. Does Van C send some sample rings for me to see if I give my CC info? I remember you got a few rings sent by them...

I love the 2.2 I you posted, that stone is SO white! I'm pretty surprised to see I being that white. I'm really hoping that you find the stone you love, and see the complete ring soon!!

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock

WOW! I haven't seen the VanC settings... those are both amazing!!

DS, I love how the one you are considering really has such a true "antique" feel to it. It looks like a piece of art!
And I hope you are starting to "feel" which stone will be best for you. I still can't help but hope that you "go bigger" !! :naughty:

And Wintotty... Oh I hope you do get that thinner-shank ring with the beautiful milgrain and the little flowers on the band. WOW! I can't wait to see photos of THAT with a big ol' honker on top!! :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

wintotty|1350348171|3286051 said:
diamondseeker2006|1350347175|3286039 said:
Here is a picture with the right head on the shank. And you have the option of pointed prongs, too. The setting fee varies depending on the prongs. It is style 484 large.

Actually it's the other way around....I want the setting of the 1st pic I posted (thin band) with the head like the flower detail of the 2nd pic.

The one you are coveting is gorgeous piece, but I'm afraid I can't really see the gorgeous side detail with the size of the stone I'm getting. So I'm just trying to stay simple on the band itself and add some uniqueness on the head/shank. Does Van C send some sample rings for me to see if I give my CC info? I remember you got a few rings sent by them...

I love the 2.2 I you posted, that stone is SO white! I'm pretty surprised to see I being that white. I'm really hoping that you find the stone you love, and see the complete ring soon!!

Lol!!! Well I wasn't sure about the terms you were using! You wanted the setting like the first picture with the fleur-de-lis head! Gotcha! I am not sure that will work with the first setting because the base of that head will be large for your diamond and that shank is so thin. I think that is a lovely setting as well!

Yes, they did send me a couple of samples, but I don't think they will have the combination you are asking about. They might have the setting with a plain 4 prong head, though. They are in the midst of moving locations at the moment, so you may have to wait a couple of weeks. I would probably contact Paul Emerson, the owner of Van Craeynest, and tell him you are from PriceScope:
[email protected]

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dougsgirl|1350349171|3286072 said:
WOW! I haven't seen the VanC settings... those are both amazing!!

DS, I love how the one you are considering really has such a true "antique" feel to it. It looks like a piece of art!
And I hope you are starting to "feel" which stone will be best for you. I still can't help but hope that you "go bigger" !! :naughty:

And Wintotty... Oh I hope you do get that thinner-shank ring with the beautiful milgrain and the little flowers on the band. WOW! I can't wait to see photos of THAT with a big ol' honker on top!! :love:

Thank you, dougsgirl! I do think it would be a beautiful setting! Van Craynest makes rings just like they did 100 years ago, so they are basically original to their time period.

wintotty

Shiny_Rock

Thanks DS, sorry for the thread jack.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of....the head maybe a little too big for the band....I don't like the simple 4 prong head for the round. So if Van C said they can't do it, that's out the door....but I just love the detail of the band so much, I may just buy the band for stacking! :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wintotty, you can ask Paul if the fleur-de-lis head will work with the setting you like. But I found a picture he sent me to show how a larger stone works with the setting I want. This one is a 2.6 OMC (which is not my favorite stone in this setting).

484omc.jpg

wintotty

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1350351031|3286099 said:
Wintotty, you can ask Paul if the fleur-de-lis head will work with the setting you like. But I found a picture he sent me to show how a larger stone works with the setting I want. This one is a 2.6 OMC (which is not my favorite stone in this setting).

Will do! He just told me he can send some samples to me! I really would love to own his piece even though the setting for AVR will not work out.

I also am not a fan of that particular setting and the stone there, I'm also not sure if the bigger round stone works well for Van C settings. I see so many gorgeous rings with 1-2carats stones but haven't seen bigger stones with thinner setting from them.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

"The 2.2 is the most beautiful diamond I have ever seen" --DiamondSeeker2006

:naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1350355712|3286155 said:

:lol: I appreciate art in art museums that I can't take home, too!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

wintotty|1350354321|3286133 said:
diamondseeker2006|1350351031|3286099 said:

Will do! He just told me he can send some samples to me! I really would love to own his piece even though the setting for AVR will not work out.

I also am not a fan of that particular setting and the stone there, I'm also not sure if the bigger round stone works well for Van C settings. I see so many gorgeous rings with 1-2carats stones but haven't seen bigger stones with thinner setting from them.

Great! Paul has been most helpful to me, too! I know what you mean. The sample ring that I saw of the one I like had a 7mm stone which is smaller than my current diamond. It looked great in the setting but it is scary to buy a setting when you can't see a larger round in it. It seems like Paul told me they had set up to 4 carat stones in my setting if I am remembering correctly.

The VanC bands are gorgeous and it would be nice just to have some of the wedding bands!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1350357455|3286173 said:

Huh. I want the most beautiful diamond I have ever seen.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1350357799|3286175 said:
diamondseeker2006|1350357455|3286173 said:

Huh. I want the most beautiful diamond I have ever seen.

:lol: I haven't ruled it out yet, but I just wish it was a liiiittttlllle smaller.

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock

I'm late to the party, but wanted to say that you can't go wrong with either of those lovely diamonds! I can't wait to see which one you choose and how you set it.

Please keep in mind, what looks large now won't look all that large in a few months--seriously! I started out with a 2 carat on my hand, thought it was waaaay too large, bought a 1.5, then after a month or thought it was too small--go figure! Then I thought I'd size up to that 2 carat but when I tried it on it looked waaaay to small--again, go figure!

There is something to be said about those larger facets found on those larger diamonds, isn't there????? :naughty: :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MyDiamondSparkles|1350387426|3286274 said:
I'm late to the party, but wanted to say that you can't go wrong with either of those lovely diamonds! I can't wait to see which one you choose and how you set it.

Please keep in mind, what looks large now won't look all that large in a few months--seriously! I started out with a 2 carat on my hand, thought it was waaaay too large, bought a 1.5, then after a month or thought it was too small--go figure! Then I thought I'd size up to that 2 carat but when I tried it on it looked waaaay to small--again, go figure!

There is something to be said about those larger facets found on those larger diamonds, isn't there????? :naughty: :love:

I had a similar experience going from a 1 ct. to a 1.6. I sold the 1.6 for a profit and bought another just a tiny bit smaller. And you know what? I could absolutely tell it was smaller and missed the size of my other diamond! I just went back to see the size of your newest OMC....do you know the dimensions? I honestly think I can go a lot larger in cushions or emerald cuts than I can in a round for some reason. I just wish one of these stones was 8mm, because I think at the moment, that would be the optimal size I'd be looking for in a round.

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1350390672|3286296 said:

I had a similar experience going from a 1 ct. to a 1.6. I sold the 1.6 for a profit and bought another just a tiny bit smaller. And you know what? I could absolutely tell it was smaller and missed the size of my other diamond! I just went back to see the size of your newest OMC....do you know the dimensions? I honestly think I can go a lot larger in cushions or emerald cuts than I can in a round for some reason. I just wish one of these stones was 8mm, because I think at the moment, that would be the optimal size I'd be looking for in a round.

I get you on the going larger in shapes other than rounds. ;-)

DS, my newest is a 4.46 OMC--I believe it is 9.91 x 9.70--corner to corner is 10.5-- I wear a size 7. I traded in a bit of the mm dimensions (from say a transitional or MRB) to get that suuuuper high crown, which I do really love. The side view is here: http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Client-Folders/446-AC-409-OEC-289-Tran-Comp/23176879_SG2wTt#!i=1868239359&k=XCB7RQW

On the 8mm-- is the 1.81 (or whatever that weight was) 8mm? Is it definitely sold????

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MyDiamondSparkles|1350401436|3286379 said:

DS, my newest is a 4.46 OMC--I believe it is 9.91 x 9.70--corner to corner is 10.5-- I wear a size 7. I traded in a bit of the mm dimensions (from say a transitional or MRB) to get that suuuuper high crown, which I do really love. The side view is here: http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Client-Folders/446-AC-409-OEC-289-Tran-Comp/23176879_SG2wTt#!i=1868239359&k=XCB7RQW

On the 8mm-- is the 1.81 (or whatever that weight was) 8mm? Is it definitely sold????

Your stone is SO gorgeous! :love: And it is plenty big even as a cushion!!!

The 1.81 is 7.8mm, and no, it is not sold because the person who bought it wanted a 2 ct+ and she would MUCH rather have the 2.19. So now I have to decide if I think the 1.81 has enough of what I want to buy or not. It is a gorgeous stone but the color was a lower I than the 2.19 I just saw.

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock

Awww, thanks DS.

Just speaking from personal experience: I have diamonds in the following colors: several G's in size (from .40 up to 2 carats), H (.50 carat), I (1.50 carat), L (4.46, but I will say it is a super high L) and M (3.78 carat). I like lower colors A LOT--my favs are always I thru L. But, but, BUT....if you are at all sensitive to color--and I mean that you would choose a higher color if you could afford it: color will bother you more as time goes on. As you get lower color diamonds in more lighting environments you will begin to notice more and more of a yellow-ish tint. Not only peeking up at you from face up thru all of the white twinkles and flashes, but also peeking at you from the side view. Make sure you keep this in mind and try to get those diamonds out into all kinds of lighting environments.

Personally I like the 2.19. I like the color the best, plus because of it's color you won't have to worry about side view stuff and melee colors if you decide to halo (HA!) or even do side stones. I like the size the best--believe me you will quickly get used to it and you will LOVE it! I think you mentioned it was the older style of cut--I do see a bit of a difference in cut (maybe??), but not enough for me not to take advantage of the old cut's pricing as the cut is just a s beautiful. I'm going to go back and look at the photos...BRB.

Okay, I'm back. Yes, the 2.19 is my fav. The faceting is gorgeous--oh those larger diamonds just show off that beautiful faceting oh so well! Read this: it looks really big because it is set on top of a "golf tee--like" holder. Once it is set into a regular height setting it won't be so high up and it will look *exactly* 2mm smaller making it the perfect size for you (Yay!)! :naughty: Take a photo of your hand with the 2.19 from a normal viewing distance, like with your hand resting on your purse strap or holding a glass of wine and see what you think.

Plus the 1.81 has a larger table than you want at 53% and it's smaller than what you want. The 1.9 has a 46% table which is great but the side view shows a lot of color--maybe too much color. The 2.19 is the perfect color, is at old pricing, and a 100% eye clean (even with reading glasses--back away slowly from the loupe) Si--what more could you ask for? This is the diamond. This IS the diamond. THIS IS THE DIAMOND ! :appl: :love:

Plus, a 2.00 carat VS1 or VS2 is going to be prices waaaay higher than that 2.19 si. So waiting for the perfect diamond may produce nothing but heartache. How about negotiating a longer return policy on the 2.19 and see what you think if it?

D

Deactivated member 42515

I just wanna ask if I can come over when you get your next batch of AVRs. I promise to behave. Well, no, I can't promise that. But I am soooo jealous! I get fits of jealous rage when I visit this thread, but I do it anyway to torture myself. Please invite me over for tea and crumpets and diamond ogling.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1350402471|3286386 said:
MyDiamondSparkles|1350401436|3286379 said:

Your stone is SO gorgeous! :love: And it is plenty big even as a cushion!!!

The 1.81 is 7.8mm, and no, it is not sold because the person who bought it wanted a 2 ct+ and she would MUCH rather have the 2.19. So now I have to decide if I think the 1.81 has enough of what I want to buy or not. It is a gorgeous stone but the color was a lower I than the 2.19 I just saw.

Well DS, interesting how things work out. You now have the diamond that the other girl wants. Are you sure you want the 1.81? I vote for the 2.2 and agree with MyDiamondSparkles. I say get that one too. I don't know the diff. in price matters. A 2.2 at the old pricing sounds like your best investment.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oh... just the fact that "your" 1.81 was scooped up and away from you before, and now she would like the 2.19 ct, (being the childish and immature person that I admit to being ;)) ) I'd for sure want to keep the 2+ even MORE!!

Probably not the ideal way to determine which diamond is the better performer or how much money you want to spend... but I must admit, knowing she wants this one now, would totally sway me into keeping it! :lol: Yup, I have the mind of a 6 year old! True dat!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

Enerchi|1350419926|3286524 said:
Oh... just the fact that "your" 1.81 was scooped up and away from you before, and now she would like the 2.19 ct, (being the childish and immature person that I admit to being ;)) ) I'd for sure want to keep the 2+ even MORE!!

Probably not the ideal way to determine which diamond is the better performer or how much money you want to spend... but I must admit, knowing she wants this one now, would totally sway me into keeping it! :lol: Yup, I have the mind of a 6 year old! True dat!
Haha, Enerchi, I would do the same! I loooove the 2.19 to begin with, but it would be an added bonus. ;))

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

armywife13|1350427806|3286615 said:

Haha, Enerchi, I would do the same! I loooove the 2.19 to begin with, but it would be an added bonus. ;))

:lol: Welcome to my world, Armywife!!

I know its very silly and immature, but when I'm faced with a similar scenario with someone wanting what I'm debating about, it seems to force my decision and then I worry - am I deciding for the right reasons? Am I being hasty? Am I going to regret not getting A or B or C? But hey - she scooped your original diamond DS, so be really sure if you are going to return this one, because I sense it will be sold in a heart beat, if it goes back!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DS is missing and the 1.91 seems to have been returned to the inventory but not the 1.8 nor the 2.2.

Hmmmmm. . . . the wheels go round and round ladies. . . .

DS needs to come home and clue us all in!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

Enerchi|1350428212|3286626 said:
armywife13|1350427806|3286615 said:

:lol: Welcome to my world, Armywife!!

I know its very silly and immature, but when I'm faced with a similar scenario with someone wanting what I'm debating about, it seems to force my decision and then I worry - am I deciding for the right reasons? Am I being hasty? Am I going to regret not getting A or B or C? But hey - she scooped your original diamond DS, so be really sure if you are going to return this one, because I sense it will be sold in a heart beat, if it goes back!
Girlllllllll, I am with ya. In fact, I am pretty sure a few purchases in my past have been made out of hast. :sick: At least I have loved all of those purchases in the end, so I suppose it worked out in the end.

I wonder if the other interested party is a lurker. It seems like too much of a coincidence for them to be wanting two diamonds that DS has posted about.

DS, I really do love the 2.19. I wouldn't worry too much about the size, it will soon look normal to you. I think the real issue, as others have stated, is seeing if you can accept the SI clarity. Since it is eyeclean, I wouldn't have an issue with it, but I understand that it is more of a mental thing. I can't wait to see what you decide on(crossing fingers and toes for the 2.19).

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Best of luck with your decision, DS! They're gorgeous diamonds. Closure and peace of mind is a lovely thing!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

YayTacori|1350418824|3286515 said:
I just wanna ask if I can come over when you get your next batch of AVRs. I promise to behave. Well, no, I can't promise that. But I am soooo jealous! I get fits of jealous rage when I visit this thread, but I do it anyway to torture myself. Please invite me over for tea and crumpets and diamond ogling.

That's a deal!!! Then I get to see your extremely gorgeous Tacori wedding set!!! :love:

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock

OMG no pressure or anything....dust to you! Get a good night's sleep :snore:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MissGotRocks|1350429403|3286645 said:
DS is missing and the 1.91 seems to have been returned to the inventory but not the 1.8 nor the 2.2.

Hmmmmm. . . . the wheels go round and round ladies. . . .

DS needs to come home and clue us all in!

:lol: Sorry, real life things like a cross country meet and a little shopping has made me late getting back!

Oh, boy, I can't reply to every post but this is for all of you! I do not believe that the other customer is a PS member, so there is no game playing going on or anything like that. She just decided to trade in a stone at the same time I was about to buy! The thing was, she wanted over 2 cts.(because her old stone was 2+cts.) but the stone that closest met her specs was the 1.8 I VVS. When she received the stone she adored it, but told them she really wanted a 2+ ct. and would trade as soon as they got one in. But I had already reserved the 2.19 the day they got it, so I had first option at it, and she had the stone I originally thought I wanted.

Anyway, I sent the stones back yesterday evening and they arrived at GOG this morning. Because the other person was sending back the 1.8 to be SET, I had no choice but to say whether I wanted the 2.19 because they knew she wanted it if I didn't, and naturally they didn't want to set the 1.8 until they knew if the other stone would be available.

So much to the dismay of most of you, I told them to let her have the 2.19. ;( I know it was a great opportunity, but I had doubts that made me hold back. My friend MrsSalvo's tagline is "A deal is not a deal unless you get exactly what you want", and I wanted a smaller stone and at least VS2 clarity. Another factor was my husband. Back when I was comparing that 1.37 and the 1.63 six years ago, he absolutely favored the larger stone and wanted me to have it. But this time he felt the 2.2 was just too big. (But I want to clarify that he NEVER asked the price of any of the stones! So it had nothing to do with money!) See, if all of you lived here he'd think it was small!!!!!! But alas, that is sadly not the case!

The 1.8 is second largest and one color grade higher and that is why I told them to put the 1.9 J back in inventory. When Jon gets it he will take some pictures for me comparing the color to the J stone and hopefully a higher I stone. It is a beautiful stone and I love the cut as much as the 2.19, but I just need to see how the color compares. There is definitely a visible difference within the I color range. But since the stone is antique style, I am willing to go a little lower in color than I would in a round brilliant. Then I will have to decide whether it can be my permanent stone and have custom setting made, or wait and make another plan. The great thing about all of this is that I got to see two additional stones which allowed me to define my taste in these stones a bit more and know whether the characteristics of the 1.8 were what I really wanted. Some of my doubt is often that I haven't seen enough stones to know if there is something I like better!

So my hope is that by the end of this week, I will have a diamond or have a new plan!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

backwardsandinheels|1350431663|3286674 said:
OMG no pressure or anything....dust to you! Get a good night's sleep :snore:

:lol: Sorry! I had a looong post to write!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results