shape
carat
color
clarity

Comparing two August Vintage Rounds (AVRS) 1.9 to 2.2 cts.!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Comparing two August Vintage Rounds (AVRS) 1.9 to 2.2 ct

On my way to wedding and will check back in later tonight! I am thinking on your question, MGR!!!!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

Oooo - what a tasty dilemma! They are all (including your MRB) beautiful diamonds!

ETA: I'm surprised what a color difference there is between the I and J. Previously I thought I couldn't really tell between two grades.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I actually like the smaller one... :shock: But it sounds like color will be an issue. So I pulling or a return on the 1.81. :Up_to_something:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Have fun at the wedding - all of this will keep until later!

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock

One quick thought for you...

This ring is ultimately for YOU and about YOU ... not your daughters. Believe me that I understand your thoughts. I, too, am wanting "heirloom" jewelry to pass down. But I strongly want to encourage you to NOT make your decisions based on what THEY may or may not want, or what they currently have now!!
It is not fair to compare your wedding ring (after being married for a hundred years ;-) ) to the ring of a newlywed, or 20-something. This is about YOUR marriage and YOUR life. You can surely pass it down... but there is no telling what they would choose to do with it later. Maybe 20 years from now they would want to sell it to buy a huge marquis stone because they are the new, hot "thing" again.

If you are truly uncomfortable with the size for YOU and would feel embarrassed wearing it... then by all means, don't get it! But please... choose this diamond for YOU!! (And I have an 18 year old daughter too... so I understand. I was just thinking yesterday about how is anyone else even going to be able to WEAR my heirloom ring, since it's a size 4.25 and most people (my DD included) are at least a size 6! But guess what... that's not MY problem!! LOL)

Get what makes your heart sing. Get what you love. If your "dream" ring costs a little (or a lot) more... but it's what you REALLY want... get it!! You could settle, because you "might want to buy another one someday" but we have no guarantees on tomorrow anyway. And maybe your finances will be such that in 5 or 10 years you can buy a second one that it just as amazing! I don't know... I just know that we spend our lives sacrificing things so our children can have more. That is part of parenting. But this... well this is about your marriage. This is the reward for all the sacrifices!! Get what you WANT!!!

Love you, Friend!! :love: :love:

BTW... who's wedding are you at today?? It it one of your kiddos??

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ok this is a first for me to be replying while waiting for a wedding to start!!! But it is my older daughters best friend a d our daughter is matron of honor! So exciting! Ttyl! And hugs dougsgirl!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1350149442|3284566 said:
I just showed my husband and he said he thought the 2.2 diamond looked too big to be real. :(sad However, he always says to get whatever makes me happy. I do think it is too big for my world. It really is gorgeous, though.

Everyoen thinks my diamond is fake, I am sure, and my mom says ALL the time that it looks so big its fake :lol: I tell them its the look I was going for.

I gotta say that 2.2 is phenom, and I think if its really eye clean who cares what you can see with a loupe? Looks like a high I too, maybe close to an H, that side view is really white!

Go bigger. Why not? Isn't that what you want? other people be darned :devil: I think secretly you love a biggun and that's why you want this change :naughty:

ETA: Ditto Dougsgirl, forget about comparisons with your daughters. They won't care! And I also think you should stop thinking about heirloom stuff. You will likely change your diamond again at some point, don't you think? I mean, really? Just get what you love and let them do with it what they will when you are gone! Maybe they will hock it and take a trip to Aruba in your honour! :lol: Yes, gallows humour, but really, we can't predict the future, so enjoy such frivolous things like diamonds now.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

OH, that 2.2c I...what a difference .5mm makes. Thanks for the AVR fix today. Can a 2c diamond really be too big? It is lovely and I hope you get that one. Thanks for all the lovely pics.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock

I have enjoyed looking at these two AVRs! DS what would you think if you let go control and just went with your heart. What would you simply enjoy and love to look down on? Exact size to the mm, exact clarity, what will my girls inherit, will I fit in with my neighbourhood might be things that confuse you rather than help you clarify and distil what would actually make your heart sing.

My daughters (aged 17 and 22) tell me to go bold! I can have a difficulty with that. My best friend laughs a little at the cheekiness of what I've spent on rings (but she so enjoys them!) and I'm a bit the same over the amount she has spent on horses and their upkeep. Some people (I'd argue the nice ones!) are going to enjoy what you choose to spend on.

Would the setting you'd like be a consideration in determing size of diamond or would you prefer the diamond to determine the setting?

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock

The J to me is too much color. I think the I suits you in terms of size. And the patterning of the AVR stands out more in the bigger stone!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh wow, that 2.2 is just gorgeous! :love:

Just wanted to say that I wear an 8 mm OEC (size 4.25 finger) and honestly I don't find it too big - I am truly comfortable wearing it and I could even go a bit bigger (like 2.2 lol). And this is coming from someone who 3 years ago was self-conscious wearing a one carat stone! And this is also coming from someone who for most of her life has cared a great deal about what others think of her. But lately I've come to realize that if someone is going to judge me negatively because I wear a diamond that's a bit bigger than theirs, then that person must not know the real me, so I'm not going to be concerned about their opinion! I wear this ring because I think it's pretty, end of story! I have decided I'm not going to let other people's opinions keep me from doing what I would like to do. And there's something very freeing about that.

And, let's keep things in perspective here - it's not like you're jumping up to a four carat or something! :D Yes, it's a decent increase in size, but it's not really that big of a change!

As to the clarity - well, I guess you just have to figure if it will bother you, and if so, how much. For me, if I can't see it with my 50+ eyes, I don't worry about it! :cheeky:

As for having pieces to pass down to your daughters - you already have several beautiful, high- quality pieces to hand down (lucky girls!!) so I think maybe this one time you should just go with what you would like to have, just for you!

You're good with the color of the 2.2, right?

Ok, well, by now I'm sure I've convinced you to get this stone! :lol: Seriously, I know this is a big decision, and you should feel 100% happy and comfortable with your choice, and if you don't feel this is "the" one, then obviously you have to go with that. Thanks for allowing me to ramble, and for letting me throw in my 2 cents - will be watching to see what you decide!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love the 2.2 ct I SI-1, hands down!

BTW, thanks for the color comparisons since I'm trying to decide between an I & a J color for MRB studs in the future! I'm starting to lean towards the I color now!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think you should go for the 2.2 carats. I think there isn't a huge difference in size from your 1.6 to 2.2. what do you think about the J color? the smaller stone is beautiful too. How long can you hang on to these stones? I would give it some thought for a few days. Have you asked your daughters what they like? I am so excited for you DS! sending good decision dust your way!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1350162946|3284699 said:
diamondseeker2006|1350149442|3284566 said:
I just showed my husband and he said he thought the 2.2 diamond looked too big to be real. :(sad However, he always says to get whatever makes me happy. I do think it is too big for my world. It really is gorgeous, though.

Everyoen thinks my diamond is fake, I am sure, and my mom says ALL the time that it looks so big its fake :lol: I tell them its the look I was going for.

I gotta say that 2.2 is phenom, and I think if its really eye clean who cares what you can see with a loupe? Looks like a high I too, maybe close to an H, that side view is really white!

Go bigger. Why not? Isn't that what you want? other people be darned :devil: I think secretly you love a biggun and that's why you want this change :naughty:

ETA: Ditto Dougsgirl, forget about comparisons with your daughters. They won't care! And I also think you should stop thinking about heirloom stuff. You will likely change your diamond again at some point, don't you think? I mean, really? Just get what you love and let them do with it what they will when you are gone! Maybe they will hock it and take a trip to Aruba in your honour! :lol: Yes, gallows humour, but really, we can't predict the future, so enjoy such frivolous things like diamonds now.

Lol! Love the trip to Aruba idea! That is sooo true! If I could get the right diamond this time, I think I could foresee never changing it again. And if I spend money on a custom setting, then I definitely would want to keep it. I do love looking at the bigguns! :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just appreciate everyone's input so much! I am going to go back through now and answer any questions!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is interesting that most would go for the larger one, but there are still a few of you that think the smaller size looks better. I can kind of understand that since once you get over 8mm, the diamond is not going to be in the norm for most places. And that is part of my dilemma.

Regarding the color, I want to tell those of you with antique stones (YayTacori, Dreamer, etc,) that I can definitely understand buying an antique stone with lower color since most of them are. For some reason that doesn't bother me as much as buying a more tinted newly cut stone. I mean, I have a choice so why not go for one grade higher? With antique stones, finding one with a beautiful cut is the most important thing and color secondary, I think. So I have eliminated the 1.9 J VS1 because it is a little smaller than I want and the color is more visibly tinted than the other stone. I now know I am fine with these stones in a higher I color. This 2.2 ct. stone seriously does look more like H to me.

Mom2boys, I would go for the I color studs considering the color of your other diamonds. And I am putting I color AVR studs on my future wish list!

I hear you dougsgirl, Dreamer, Polished, etc. about not worrying too much about what happens to the ring after I am gone! That was pretty funny thinking about marquise being popular in 30 years and someone selling my ring to buy one!!! :lol:

Polished asked a great question, "Would the setting you'd like be a consideration in determining size of diamond or would you prefer the diamond to determine the setting?" I am letting the diamond determine the setting. I do want a beautiful setting, but the size and color of the stone will have an influence on the setting I choose.

junebug...many good points about not worrying about what other people think! Plus the fact that our older eyes work to our favor on clarity! :lol:

Skippy, I told GOG I would send the stones back on Monday since they reopen from the weekend on Tuesday. Our older daughter hasn't seen them yet (because I wasn't about to take them to a wedding!) so I hope she can see them tomorrow before I have to package them up again! The younger one really loved the facet design but said she wouldn't want a stone as large as the 2.2 ct. one! But she is only 17.

Ultimately I think my choice will be for the 1.8 I VVS stone (old style cut), 2.12 I VS1 (new style cut and more expensive), or the 2.19 I SI1 (old style cut but small table).

e-ring127

Rough_Rock

Hi DS, I've been particularly interested in following your quest to find the perfect antique cut stone. We both have MRB solitaries of similar size and we both secretly long to own a 2 carat, even better, an antique cut :love:. From the very beginning, even while picking out my current 1.6 H&A, I have always known that my particular sweet spot in size is 2 carats and that I my ultimate goal someday would be to own one. Knowing that I always have and always will dream of a diamond that size, I know that if I try to stay conservative and worry about what others think, then I will never be fulfilling my own desires. I also find that I have one of the largest stones in my circles of friends, family and co-workers. I know that the quality of my diamond and setting are well above average and that if anyone knew that I was secretly masterminding a plan to trade in my diamond and setting, they would never understand or relate and call me crazy! But face it, all of us here on PS know too much already to ever try to "fit in" when it comes to diamonds.....we spend hours scrolling, studying, investigating and drooling over them! So I would scroll through your comments some more and feel the support from your PS friends who do understand and share your love for BIG HONKING DIAMONDS!!! That being said, I think you should block out all of the thoughts about others feelings and go for what you know you've always wanted-if you don't do it now and give into your paranoia then you will continue to long for that dream stone/size. The 2.2 looks perfect on you, I would hate to see you lose another stone from under your feet while you let yourself get caught up in doubt....and if your daughters have any input, it should be that they want to enjoy knowing their mother is happy and fulfilled with the stone of HER ultimate dreams :D

chicam

Shiny_Rock

I think DS heart will tell her what to do eventually. Seems like it already has. I'm excited for you that the 1.81 may possibly come available again. Reason is as soon as you saw it, it spoke to you period. Larger table or not. And now that you have decided I color in this cut doesn't bother you that much, I'm hoping its the one you eventually get. I just went back to that 1.81 post, your excitement was palpable. It was infectious. You have been unsure of this 2.2 given the size, clarity etc. Don't go against your gut. You will regret it. I would know, I have experience along those lines. I totally understand you not wanting the oh so gorgeous 1.91. I get that totally.

So I like the way you have lined up your priority. 1.81 first, 2.12 second, albeit so much more expensive, 2.2 third. If the 1.81 never opens up again, consider the 2.12 if it makes your heart sing, if you can get it. The clarity on 2.2 sounds like it will always bother you( the size shouldn't IMO). But that 2.2 is gorgeous too but frankly I like the 1.91 look better. How does the 2.2 facet patterning compare to the 1.81 facet patterning, given that they are both 'old cuts'?

Your heart will lead you right. Follow it. Always.

Wonderful two threads you've given this community lately.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hi DS! I'm one of those odd ducks who "downsized" my ering b/c I was too self conscious about it being so large (this was the 3.5+ cushion)....for me, it was the right decision. That said, I don't think that a 2mm difference is going to be THAT noticable to most people. My advice is to go with the stone that speaks to you, whichever one that is. I know that you loved the 1.81 stone, but it would have killed me to pay for that clarity....my personal sweet spot is VS2....

The bottom line is do what will make YOU happy. If that's the smaller stone, great...if you think you can "rock" the larger stone, go for it...this is all about YOU!

dani13

Ideal_Rock

Ditto, Yenny!!! Go with the stone that you love and are most comfortable wearing!! They are both gorgeous stones, DS, so you can't go wrong!!! So excited for you! :appl: :appl:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

based on what I know about you I don't think you would be comfortable with the larger diamond. Get something you love and feel good about wearing! Size isn't everything. ;))

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock

Hmmmmm. Really great advice from everyone. The only thing I can add is my new 2.31 stone is 8.51-8.67 mm. I have a size 3.5 finger. I've had a few "It's too big" pangs, but I don't know if you remember-possibly Dreamer? About how the bigger stones show the chunky facets more? Even your daughter noticed. And I have to say I took my stone out for a field trip to a jeweler last week and dropped it into a vintage setting for fun and man, it suddenly looked perfect and not over the top, even on my puny finger. A little side pave action calmed it down, like the plain solitaire in that larger size size says LOOK AT ME. Good luck. Go slow. Don't rush. You are on the right track. Diamond camel...

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, of course you should to go with whatever you will feel most comfortable wearing! That's the most important thing...It's great you had a chance to see the stones in person so you could get a feel for color, size etc differences.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

I have thought a great deal about the size issue that you are experiencing. I have not hung around long on this forum, so I do not know the nuances of your lifestyle, profession/husband's profession, friends, etc. I know that can influence perception of "size", but I cannot be sure if that applies in your case. BTW, I am not trying to hint for clues to those questions.

I really cannot add anything that the other PSers haven't already stated, but I can add one of my personal experiences. A couple of years ago, my husband purchased an incredible diamond and precious gem necklace for me. I spotted it and told DH about it. It is something that could be in the Crown Jewels collection . . . IMO. DH bought as a gift for me, and clearly it brought him as much joy to give it as I was to receive it.

I don't believe in having things unworn in the safe, so one morning I carefully chose my outfit to wear it. I put on a button down shirt, jacket, and left my hair down so it would frame my neck (and hide the necklace if I felt uncomfortable with it showing). Then I went to Bible Study. There is a sweet older lady (70's) who glows with love for the Lord; she also enjoys jewelry even though most of hers is costume. I wanted to talk to about where and when I should wear my necklace, so after everything was picked up I showed the "bauble" around my neck. She was ecstatic and told me that I should enjoy DH gave me and not be ashamed to wear it. This lady knows me, and knows where my heart is. I don't idolize jewelry; it is a material thing that has no eternal value. Rather, I am amazed at the God given talent that some have to create beautiful jewelry, art, or what ever it may be. Still, I don't wear the necklace if I think I will be around someone where it could be a stumbling block.

All that to say, I don't see a much difference between the 1.9 and your current diamond other than the cut. I agree with you about the color; I definitely prefer the I for you whether it be the 2.2 or the other I that may become available again. This is just me. . . . but if I was going to upgrade, I would want to do it once and be done. A wonderful vintage setting by Victor would make the diamond look like it has always been yours, unlike the ring holder which as I said before makes the diamond look larger and out of place to you. Please know that I wrote this reply not to impose my values or comfort level on you. I have debated about deleting it, but . . .

BTW, if someone thinks it is fake, I say all the better! That doesn't bother me a bit.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

DS,

I do not mean any disrespect to your husband regarding the "fake" comment. I had strangers in mind when I typed that! :oops:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chicam|1350211380|3284930 said:
I think DS heart will tell her what to do eventually. Seems like it already has. I'm excited for you that the 1.81 may possibly come available again. Reason is as soon as you saw it, it spoke to you period. Larger table or not. And now that you have decided I color in this cut doesn't bother you that much, I'm hoping its the one you eventually get. I just went back to that 1.81 post, your excitement was palpable. It was infectious. You have been unsure of this 2.2 given the size, clarity etc. Don't go against your gut. You will regret it. I would know, I have experience along those lines. I totally understand you not wanting the oh so gorgeous 1.91. I get that totally.

So I like the way you have lined up your priority. 1.81 first, 2.12 second, albeit so much more expensive, 2.2 third. If the 1.81 never opens up again, consider the 2.12 if it makes your heart sing, if you can get it. The clarity on 2.2 sounds like it will always bother you( the size shouldn't IMO). But that 2.2 is gorgeous too but frankly I like the 1.91 look better. How does the 2.2 facet patterning compare to the 1.81 facet patterning, given that they are both 'old cuts'?

Your heart will lead you right. Follow it. Always.

Wonderful two threads you've given this community lately.

Thank you so much!

The 1.81 I VVS and the 2.2 I SI1 have the same facet pattern, and the 1.91 J and the 2.12 I VS1 have the same facet pattern. If money were no object, the easy choice for me would be the 2.12 I VS1, but that is not the case!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ClassyRocks|1350232972|3285039 said:
I have thought a great deal about the size issue that you are experiencing. I have not hung around long on this forum, so I do not know the nuances of your lifestyle, profession/husband's profession, friends, etc. I know that can influence perception of "size", but I cannot be sure if that applies in your case. BTW, I am not trying to hint for clues to those questions.

I really cannot add anything that the other PSers haven't already stated, but I can add one of my personal experiences. A couple of years ago, my husband purchased an incredible diamond and precious gem necklace for me. I spotted it and told DH about it. It is something that could be in the Crown Jewels collection . . . IMO. DH bought as a gift for me, and clearly it brought him as much joy to give it as I was to receive it.

I don't believe in having things unworn in the safe, so one morning I carefully chose my outfit to wear it. I put on a button down shirt, jacket, and left my hair down so it would frame my neck (and hide the necklace if I felt uncomfortable with it showing). Then I went to Bible Study. There is a sweet older lady (70's) who glows with love for the Lord; she also enjoys jewelry even though most of hers is costume. I wanted to talk to about where and when I should wear my necklace, so after everything was picked up I showed the "bauble" around my neck. She was ecstatic and told me that I should enjoy DH gave me and not be ashamed to wear it. This lady knows me, and knows where my heart is. I don't idolize jewelry; it is a material thing that has no eternal value. Rather, I am amazed at the God given talent that some have to create beautiful jewelry, art, or what ever it may be. Still, I don't wear the necklace if I think I will be around someone where it could be a stumbling block.

All that to say, I don't see a much difference between the 1.9 and your current diamond other than the cut. I agree with you about the color; I definitely prefer the I for you whether it be the 2.2 or the other I that may become available again. This is just me. . . . but if I was going to upgrade, I would want to do it once and be done. A wonderful vintage setting by Victor would make the diamond look like it has always been yours, unlike the ring holder which as I said before makes the diamond look larger and out of place to you. Please know that I wrote this reply not to impose my values or comfort level on you. I have debated about deleting it, but . . .

BTW, if someone thinks it is fake, I say all the better! That doesn't bother me a bit.

So very well said, Classy! I do consider fine jewelry pieces as a kind of art, and certainly gems and rare metals were created for our enjoyment while we are here!

We live in a relatively affluent area and I would say we are upper middle class. Most of my close friends are from my church, but they just aren't into jewelry. Some have beautiful lake homes and spend their money on other things. Then there are some who have less than we do, and that is what makes me more uncomfortable. But I am really not letting that be my primary worry. I think after wearing my original 1 ct. diamond for years, it took time for me to adjust to 1.6 cts. Now that I want to go up a bit in size, I have to adjust to a new size. I really don't want to trade again since I want to have a really nice setting made, so I just need to make the right decision.

Thank you sincerely for sharing your thoughts because you know we have that common thread. {{{{hugs}}}}

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ClassyRocks|1350234119|3285047 said:
DS,

I do not mean any disrespect to your husband regarding the "fake" comment. I had strangers in mind when I typed that! :oops:

Oh, I totally understood! I think he just meant the diamond looked too perfect and large to be real since few people have that kind of quality diamond! But it wouldn't bother me a second if someone else thought it was fake!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have read and will reread all your replies and I appreciate each and every one! I'd like to reply to each one individually, but this has been a hectic weekend with a close friend's wedding and I am short on time! Thank you all! I value your input!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hey DS -

Just to echo what everyone else has said... go with your heart! I hope the other I becomes available again, as it seems you really liked it.

Um... got any more pics???? :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results