shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a bezel moissanite band with 2 mm moissanites and a rose gold eternity band with 2 mm diamonds and when I look at them in dim light next to each other, I don’t see a lot of sparkle coming off the moissanite band. I tried to capture it in a pic but it is hard to get the camera to focus. I also had an OEC with 4 graduated moissanites and the first one was a 3 mm OEC that I could still see some fire in but the rest of the pave did not have a lot of sparkle in the smaller sizes. I think the very small melee can just look a bit flat and doesn’t catch the light in the same way as diamonds do.

I know that the Chinese companies have been offering lab diamond melee as an option now too. I haven’t been as happy with the small melee or some of the side stones like the tapered baguettes, which had zero sparkle. I have sold some of those rings on and have tried to put a bit more thought into what I wanted so I am redoing several of the rings with diamond pave or loose diamond side stones that I found from Ivy & Rose. The projects are taking forever but I hope to have them soon.

Maybe some other people who bought pave moissanite rings can chime in...

53305D07-EE88-43ED-BAA8-0A603D160E02.jpeg

I haven't bought from Tianyu but i did have some 2mm stones replaced in a ring with neo moissanite and they look white and sparkly to me. Will try to get pics tmrw.

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
I am a Tianyu fan and I’m sad to read about the difficulties people have been having. The prices are also much higher! I was thinking of having them make a .75 to 1 ct or platinum solitaire as the last part of my solitaire “collection” (I’m so crazy but I like options) but now I’m wondering if I should look elsewhere. My issue is that I’ve always liked OECs much better than more modern cuts and they have a nice one.
Wow I’ve read and it seems people are getting quoted really high! Starsgem quoted me $20 more than tianyu for the same ring. I got quoted $570 from tianyu for a US size 12 ring, 14k white gold with an 8mm hearts and arrows stone. Did you mention autumngirlsoup for the discount?

Kp513

Rough_Rock
CBB3B5B1-4380-45DF-A16C-2CC8C9126BE6.png 45A6F7A9-4B31-469C-844C-EA2D0408627A.png 4ECD242A-ACC3-4BA4-99F6-611EC37E3274.png F500EC48-1424-47AC-A445-7FA69F7FA2EE.png It’s finally done!! I was examining the photos and do the prongs look ok? They look a bit stubby to me in a couple of the photos maybe? Thanks for your input everyone!!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@swaye2010 Ella answered me and said she made a mistake because they are backed up with orders from their vacation. She will send the photo to them for the correct ring. I was so relieved to hear that. I think ordering before the vacation probably wasn’t a good move on my part because too much time had passed for her to remember..but it looks good that it will be okay. I’ll be anxious to see the new cad.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
CBB3B5B1-4380-45DF-A16C-2CC8C9126BE6.png 45A6F7A9-4B31-469C-844C-EA2D0408627A.png 4ECD242A-ACC3-4BA4-99F6-611EC37E3274.png F500EC48-1424-47AC-A445-7FA69F7FA2EE.png It’s finally done!! I was examining the photos and do the prongs look ok? They look a bit stubby to me in a couple of the photos maybe? Thanks for your input everyone!!
I think the prongs look great! Gorgeous ring!

1amaN00b

Rough_Rock
@lovedogs I'm going through this thread and saw that you ordered the bezel stud earrings last year. How are they? I'm thinking of getting a pair of 1ct h&a ones with the same style. Trying to shop around.

Tedward

Rough_Rock
*Moved to new thread*

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all, not sure if this thread is best for posting this, or if I should make a separate thread.

I'm shopping for an engagement ring for my girlfriend, and we decided to go with moissanite. She has shown me what she likes, and I'm going from there. I saw a ring on the reddit moissanite forum that I think would be perfect for her. The owner of that ring got it from moissanite and co and I think I managed to find the same one. It's within range of what I'm willing to spend, but I've heard mixed reviews about them. In addition, anything I don't spend on the ring, can be put toward the wedding which we both agree is more important to us. So I'm having the ring quoted through some Chinese companies to see if I can do better on price. What I'm ultimately looking for, is advice on what things I need to make sure I ask or mention when working with Tianyu, SG, etc. And if there is anything specific to this type of ring I want to make sure to mention as well.

I'm looking at a 6.5mm h&a cut moissanite, I'm thinking colorless, set in white gold. I don't know whether to use moissanite or diamonds for the stones along the twisted infinity portion of the ring and would love some recommendations! My girlfriend likes smaller, daintier bands with a more modest center stone. I think she will like the fact that this has more detail than a plain white gold band, but still manages to look petite.
I would start s new thread since this one is so long. I think you'll get more responses if you start a new one.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
@swaye2010 Ella answered me and said she made a mistake because they are backed up with orders from their vacation. She will send the photo to them for the correct ring. I was so relieved to hear that. I think ordering before the vacation probably wasn’t a good move on my part because too much time had passed for her to remember..but it looks good that it will be okay. I’ll be anxious to see the new cad.
It just didn’t sound right but I wanted to give you time to talk to her without making it more stressful for you. I have several projects going too so I know how that goes and the holiday did create a big back up for them. I am sure you will post your new CAD so we can see. Ella has always been really good to work with so I am sure this will get worked out.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Wow I’ve read and it seems people are getting quoted really high! Starsgem quoted me $20 more than tianyu for the same ring. I got quoted $570 from tianyu for a US size 12 ring, 14k white gold with an 8mm hearts and arrows stone. Did you mention autumngirlsoup for the discount?
I feel better when I see the prices are similar for the same ring.. The small price difference for your quote probably comes from the reddit discount or the fact that Tianyu uses Alibaba for payment and SG uses Paypal, which has a higher fee.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It just didn’t sound right but I wanted to give you time to talk to her without making it more stressful for you. I have several projects going too so I know how that goes and the holiday did create a big back up for them. I am sure you will post your new CAD so we can see. Ella has always been really good to work with so I am sure this will get worked out.
Thanks..I previously ordered my princess pendant from her. It’s perfect and I love it..So I ordered princess studs..They’re in the works now..and then the OEC. I have two other projects going so four things going at the same time. I don’t know what I was thinking! Thanks for your help @swaye2010..I appreciate it..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
87E0BB18-DF2C-49D2-A61C-EB50D7F94B0C.png
My princess cut earrings are done! I have a video but it won’t let me upload it here... but here’s a photo..They’re gorgeous! I hope I didn’t order them too large. I ordered 2ctw but they could be 6-6.5mm..each..I can’t wait to get them!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean I’m so excited for you! I know how long you’ve waited for these. Looking forward to your pics!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean I’m so excited for you! I know how long you’ve waited for these. Looking forward to your pics!
Thanks @JPie! I also ordered 1 ctw vvs2 e/f princess cut diamond studs so I could have a diamond pair to alternate. I was so disappointed in the sparkle that I sent them back! I think some cuts/shapes actually look and sparkle better in moissanite! I heard this about rose cuts too! I’m excited!

Last edited:

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
87E0BB18-DF2C-49D2-A61C-EB50D7F94B0C.png
My princess cut earrings are done! I have a video but it won’t let me upload it here... but here’s a photo..They’re gorgeous! I hope I didn’t order them too large. I ordered 2ctw but they could be 6-6.5mm..each..I can’t wait to get them!

These are so beautiful! When you get them, would you mind posting a comparison between these and the diamondrensu ones? I know you did this with the pendant and I know Tianyu’s are far better, but I’d love to see the comparison again. :love:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
These are so beautiful! When you get them, would you mind posting a comparison between these and the diamondrensu ones? I know you did this with the pendant and I know Tianyu’s are far better, but I’d love to see the comparison again. :love:
Thank you @sd_flp.. I definitely will! I can say there’s going to be no comparison. I should have returned both of the earrings...

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @sd_flp.. I definitely will! I can say there’s going to be no comparison. I should have returned both of the earrings...
I think the earrings from diamondrensu are still nice, but you're right, there really is no comparison. I can't wait to see how Tianyu's look! :appl:

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I know the Hearts & Arrows cut has been shown here multiple times, but I thought I would share these outdoor pics. Please excuse my dry hands. This is the DE (small side stones are GH diamonds):

20190222_080852 (1).jpg
20190222_080839.jpg

I had my 6.5mm stone mounted on an Ivy & Rose setting and shared it on a different thread yesterday. I figure I can show it here, too for others' reference in case they are debating on buying Tianyu's stones. I know I said I wouldn't buy Tianyu's rings/jewelry as they've raised their prices signficantly, but I can't deny that their moissys are good for the price they are.

As for my feelings on DE, I have to be honest, it's pretty, but I have dark olive skin. I really loved looking at it when it was unmounted but now that it's in its setting, I kinda feel like it's *too* white. I may try out more GH/warmer stones later on and see if I like that better. I'm in the process of ordering DEF and GH moissys from Mona who used to work at Starsgems. I'll share those when I get them; since they've just got back from the holidays I may not get these until next week as I had them custom cut. :)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the earrings from diamondrensu are still nice, but you're right, there really is no comparison. I can't wait to see how Tianyu's look! :appl:
It’s really personal but I love the colorless look and his are definitely not colorless. I might put them up on Loupe Troop and see if someone would enjoy the warm colors. I have both the princess and asscher studs. :think:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean oh I love your earrings. Such a staple in a jewelry wardrobe. How about some ear pictures?

@sd_flp I looove your ring! Gorgeous! :love: How was working with Ivy and Rose? Is the setting lighter or substantial feeling? It’s really beautiful.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I get an opinion from you all?

I am talking to Tianyu about an elongated cushion. I'm waiting on pricing for something between 1 and 1.25 ct diamond equivalent. Sophia asked if I meant the modern or OMC. Looking at the two, I am drawn to the OMC. I was thinking I would put it in my original yellow gold solitaire. It's the typical yg solitaire common in 1987. If this isn't it, it's very close.
Stuller

My question is: do you think this setting is too contemporary for an OMC?

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
@Mamabean oh I love your earrings. Such a staple in a jewelry wardrobe. How about some ear pictures?

@sd_flp I looove your ring! Gorgeous! :love: How was working with Ivy and Rose? Is the setting lighter or substantial feeling? It’s really beautiful.
Thank you so much! As far as working with them, I just purchased one of their premade settings through Etsy and they shipped it within a couple days as I needed it to be resized (which I ended up being wrong about my size but I digress). :) I did have a couple questions prior to buying and they were super nice and helpful.

As far as how it feels, it's pretty light, but it's not a huge issue for me since I don't like being weighed down by a lot of jewelry. I work with computers so I need to type fast! :lol-2: I was motivated to buy it as a right hand/cocktail ring; a lot of the settings I've seen are very engagement-esque and I'm not married yet. It is pretty big but it's not heavy at all which I do love! The tiny diamonds are a bonus; I was worried they wouldn't match with the moissanite, but they're so tiny you can't even tell.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock

I am talking to Tianyu about an elongated cushion. I'm waiting on pricing for something between 1 and 1.25 ct diamond equivalent. Sophia asked if I meant the modern or OMC. Looking at the two, I am drawn to the OMC. I was thinking I would put it in my original yellow gold solitaire. It's the typical yg solitaire common in 1987. If this isn't it, it's very close.
Stuller

Personally I don't think so. I think it will look great with it, especially since it's a single solitaire. =)2

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thank you @Sandeek..I don’t have them yet but will definitely post pics! They are also making me an OEC ring too..in colorless..which I know most people wouldn’t like but I will! I already have one in a creamy color and wanted one to be blindingly white! I’m wondering if they are going to ship them together..I paid for DHL for each so we’ll see!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Stuller

IMHO..I don’t think the setting is too contemporary..It’s a classic..simple setting..I think it would be great for the OMC..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I received my cad this morning for my OEC ring. I’m happy she did the 2mm round shank which I asked for. It looks like the bar that goes around the head of the setting is also rounded but I can’t tell. I would want it flatter..What is that area called? How in the world am I going to convey that? Also, although I’m not a fan of double claws or really huge claws as prongs I feel the prongs should be slightly pointed like the inspiration photo..If they are too claw like I won’t like it. Should I just leave it as is? Any ideas? One is the inspiration photo..Mine will not have pave. I may ask David to do engraving on the bar later or just leave as is. Thank you for any help! 1868A3FF-6197-4971-A388-54007BC3E338.jpeg

Attachments

• 73E82A18-6BE4-48D6-9680-2099E41205AD.jpeg
    73E82A18-6BE4-48D6-9680-2099E41205AD.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 70E89DCA-509C-4D8D-8788-D112FB921F96.jpeg
    70E89DCA-509C-4D8D-8788-D112FB921F96.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I figured out how to do it..I just scribbled on her cad and wrote what I wanted..and sent the inspiration photo which had claws which I asked her it make smaller. I also asked her to send a video of the OEC..I think the fact that she sent me this cad now means that she will send both projects together..I’m very excited!

badmintongirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info!

I have a bezel moissanite band with 2 mm moissanites and a rose gold eternity band with 2 mm diamonds and when I look at them in dim light next to each other, I don’t see a lot of sparkle coming off the moissanite band. I tried to capture it in a pic but it is hard to get the camera to focus. I also had an OEC with 4 graduated moissanites and the first one was a 3 mm OEC that I could still see some fire in but the rest of the pave did not have a lot of sparkle in the smaller sizes. I think the very small melee can just look a bit flat and doesn’t catch the light in the same way as diamonds do.

I know that the Chinese companies have been offering lab diamond melee as an option now too. I haven’t been as happy with the small melee or some of the side stones like the tapered baguettes, which had zero sparkle. I have sold some of those rings on and have tried to put a bit more thought into what I wanted so I am redoing several of the rings with diamond pave or loose diamond side stones that I found from Ivy & Rose. The projects are taking forever but I hope to have them soon.

Maybe some other people who bought pave moissanite rings can chime in...

53305D07-EE88-43ED-BAA8-0A603D160E02.jpeg

badmintongirl

Rough_Rock
IMG_20190223_232947.jpg
This is the claw prongs that I requested on my ring

I received my cad this morning for my OEC ring. I’m happy she did the 2mm round shank which I asked for. It looks like the bar that goes around the head of the setting is also rounded but I can’t tell. I would want it flatter..What is that area called? How in the world am I going to convey that? Also, although I’m not a fan of double claws or really huge claws as prongs I feel the prongs should be slightly pointed like the inspiration photo..If they are too claw like I won’t like it. Should I just leave it as is? Any ideas? One is the inspiration photo..Mine will not have pave. I may ask David to do engraving on the bar later or just leave as is. Thank you for any help! 1868A3FF-6197-4971-A388-54007BC3E338.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results