shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
:love: beautiful!!!
What size stones did you end up using for the melee stones?
I had 1.5-1.8mm ones in mine and I'm finding they don't sparkle when compared to the same or smaller size diamond in the stores.
I think they’re 1.4mm stones as shown in the picture but I’d like mine to be bigger, when I get a CAD I’ll request it.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Based on the last several response I am gathering that you all would not buy a pear from Tianyu?

I’m ordering an antique pear from Mona. She used to be with SG but she ventered off on her own. We shall see how it turns out.

jdazer

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I was originally interested in purchasing a hearts and arrows Charles and Colvard stone, but I'm intrigued by this thread. I don't really want to cut corners and would be fine paying a name brand premium, but I get the impression from this thread that Tianyu's quality exceeds that of C&C!

I'm planning to purchase a loose stone and have a setting done locally somewhere.

With that said, can someone please share or comment on Tianyu's return policy?

Also, what would be the "safest", consumer friendly approach to purchasing from them? I've heard some purchase via Alibaba and others have gone directly via Paypal invoice.

Thanks in advance!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh oh..I originally purchased an emerald cut and sent a photo of what I wanted and paid. Since I saw some of the emerald cuts on Instagram I asked her to change it to an OEC and sent her a photo of the ring I would like to have it set in instead of the one I wanted for the emerald cut. She very nicely said she could change it..so that’s when I sent her the photo of the style I wanted with the OEC. I asked her if she got it and she said yes. This all happened a while ago before her vacation. Just before her vacation ended I emailed her and reminded her we switched to the OEC..She thanked me for reminding her..I just received the cad for the OEC and she used a version of the emerald cut style..but it really isn’t even that..It’s a different style and the emerald style combined. I just replied to her saying it’s a different style and resent the photo of the style I wanted with the OEC.
The one I want is the bowl shaped one without pave. I’m nervous now and hope it won’t be a problem. I don’t like those pinched in and high shoulders..
I paid $729.25 for the ring which includes the DHL and PayPal fees...so I hope there won’t be a problem..:confused2: That was the original price for the emerald cut and setting but we’re swapping..Does that price sound high or low? I just want the ring to be like the bottom ones so hope I get something close..Thanks..biting my nails...
F3850C28-E09A-417E-AFD9-3C3AF9E34C86.jpeg
9F2AA952-CB57-4F21-8C78-94FD704F132B.png 65F5F0B8-624A-4B21-9F81-9680D58B82DF.png

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
CAD feedback, please! Inspo photos included. I know the bottom thickness should be bumped up. What about the other measures? Does 1.3mm for the melee sound right? It seems a bit small to me—I was expecting maybe 1.5-1.7.
Also wondering how you feel about the prongs. I’m considering asking for single claw instead just because I want to make sure they aren’t too bulky. Thoughts?
038fba28226afb6d693414e0b76f495.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 6.38.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 6.38.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 6.38.58 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 4.55.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 4.55.33 PM.png
    153 KB · Views: 25

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Oh oh..I originally purchased an emerald cut and sent a photo of what I wanted and paid. Since I saw some of the emerald cuts on Instagram I asked her to change it to an OEC and sent her a photo of the ring I would like to have it set in instead of the one I wanted for the emerald cut. She very nicely said she could change it..so that’s when I sent her the photo of the style I wanted with the OEC. I asked her if she got it and she said yes. This all happened a while ago before her vacation. Just before her vacation ended I emailed her and reminded her we switched to the OEC..She thanked me for reminding her..I just received the cad for the OEC and she used a version of the emerald cut style..but it really isn’t even that..It’s a different style and the emerald style combined. I just replied to her saying it’s a different style and resent the photo of the style I wanted with the OEC.
The one I want is the bowl shaped one without pave. I’m nervous now and hope it won’t be a problem. I don’t like those pinched in and high shoulders..
I paid $729.25 for the ring which includes the DHL and PayPal fees...so I hope there won’t be a problem..:confused2: That was the original price for the emerald cut and setting but we’re swapping..Does that price sound high or low? I just want the ring to be like the bottom ones so hope I get something close..Thanks..biting my nails...
F3850C28-E09A-417E-AFD9-3C3AF9E34C86.jpeg
9F2AA952-CB57-4F21-8C78-94FD704F132B.png 65F5F0B8-624A-4B21-9F81-9680D58B82DF.png
Hmmmmm Mamabean - please don’t let that go as is. Your picture has a peg head and that is not want the CAD shows. Having 1.1 on the bottom is incredibly thin for the price you are paying. Your’s is also a comfort fit band and probably the same size all the way around the shank. You need to go back to them and say the CAD does not look like your inspiration picture before this goes to production. Maybe if they are not understanding,they can speak to Ella or Emily so it is corrected. The price seems really high for 14K gold. I paid $600 for 18K with my 10mm OEC so the prices are really going up.

I am including a video of my OEC which was cut really well. Maybe include this in your response and tell them that Ella did this one for me and you want to make sure it looks like an OEC and not an emerald.
https://imgur.com/a/gWLglxA

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
CAD feedback, please! Inspo photos included. I know the bottom thickness should be bumped up. What about the other measures? Does 1.3mm for the melee sound right? It seems a bit small to me—I was expecting maybe 1.5-1.7.
Also wondering how you feel about the prongs. I’m considering asking for single claw instead just because I want to make sure they aren’t too bulky. Thoughts?
038fba28226afb6d693414e0b76f495.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 6.38.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 6.38.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 6.38.58 PM.png
Hi there - looking at your CAD, the shoulders look slightly different then your inspiration picture as well. Tianyu seems to have limitations on how they can attach the shoulders to the stones. On the inspiration pic, the stone sits much lower and the cut out’s are smaller. I would bump the bottom measurement up to 1.6 for thickness so that it is a sturdy ring and won’t dent on the bottom. On the melee sizes, you typically need 2 mm of band width on each side of a stone so if you want the melee a little bigger, I would suggest that you make the band 2 mm with the melee size of 1.6 mm. This is the size of what your inspiration picture looks like to me. I think a 2 mm is always the wisest choice because the moissanite melee won’t sparkle much if it is too small and the band is weakened by cutting into the metal to put in the pave when it is under 2 mm. The rings just don’t hold up over time. I don’t think they will be able to do an antiquing effect on the ring but a jeweler could always do that for you after the fact.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmmmm Mamabean - please don’t let that go as is. Your picture has a peg head and that is not want the CAD shows. Having 1.1 on the bottom is incredibly thin for the price you are paying. Your’s is also a comfort fit band and probably the same size all the way around the shank. You need to go back to them and say the CAD does not look like your inspiration picture before this goes to production. Maybe if they are not understanding,they can speak to Ella or Emily so it is corrected. The price seems really high for 14K gold. I paid $600 for 18K with my 10mm OEC so the prices are really going up.

I am including a video of my OEC which was cut really well. Maybe include this in your response and tell them that Ella did this one for me and you want to make sure it looks like an OEC and not an emerald.
https://imgur.com/a/gWLglxA
I am doing this through Ella. I just let her switch from the emerald cut but there really shouldn’t be that much difference in price considering the emerald cut I originally ordered was 8x10...so I was glad I was just able to switch to the OEC. What size thickness would be good for the bottom of the shank? I want to be able to send her another email and tell her the thickness before she does another cad.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all. I was originally interested in purchasing a hearts and arrows Charles and Colvard stone, but I'm intrigued by this thread. I don't really want to cut corners and would be fine paying a name brand premium, but I get the impression from this thread that Tianyu's quality exceeds that of C&C!

I'm planning to purchase a loose stone and have a setting done locally somewhere.

With that said, can someone please share or comment on Tianyu's return policy?

Also, what would be the "safest", consumer friendly approach to purchasing from them? I've heard some purchase via Alibaba and others have gone directly via Paypal invoice.

Thanks in advance!
They do cut a pretty good H&A round. I can give you a video of mine if you are interested. Returning a stone back to China is not easy. If you pay the extra for some tracking, it is around $40 and the purchase price of the stone is somewhere between $100-$200, depending on size. It would be much better to sell it on Diamond Bistro or Loupe Troupe. That being said, I think it is a wise choice to purchase a loose stone and have it set by a jeweler locally. I don’t think moissanites are a great investment since they are getting cut better year after year and lab diamonds are also getting cheaper at the same time. I would spend the money on a great setting and you can always replace the stone if you need to. The moissanites look pretty good compared to most of the US brands although there are a few in the US that are cutting them even better.

Last edited:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I am doing this through Ella. I just let her switch from the emerald cut but there really shouldn’t be that much difference in price considering the emerald cut I originally ordered was 8x10...so I was glad I was just able to switch to the OEC. What size thickness would be good for the bottom of the shank? I want to be able to send her another email and tell her the thickness before she does another cad.

Your inspiration pic looks like a typical comfort fit band w/peg head which would have the same mm size all the way around the shank. It looks to be between 1.8 to 2 mm, depending on how thick you like it. For your finger size, it can go either way since you are kind of in the middle. I prefer 2mm as I think they hold up the best over time and with a comfort fit band, you don’t reallly notice since they are rounded. I am not sure which website your inspiration pic’s came from but if you have a side profile pic so she can match it up to your CAD. For that price, it is important to get what you are asking for....

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your inspiration pic looks like a typical comfort fit band w/peg head which would have the same mm size all the way around the shank. It looks to be between 1.8 to 2 mm, depending on how thick you like it. For your finger size, it can go either way since you are kind of in the middle. I prefer 2mm as I think they hold up the best over time and with a comfort fit band, you don’t reallly notice since they are rounded. I am not sure which website your inspiration pic’s came from but if you have a side profile pic so she can match it up to your CAD. For that price, it is important to get what you are asking for....
Thank you @swaye2010 I don’t remember where I got the pic..sigh..If I have to nicely argue a point with the price for adding thickness...what do think it should have cost? Do you think the emerald cut just cost more and when I traded stones I’m overpaying?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @swaye2010 I don’t remember where I got the pic..sigh..If I have to nicely argue a point with the price for adding thickness...what do think it should have cost? Do you think the emerald cut just cost more and when I traded stones I’m overpaying?

Can you do a reverse google search on the image to find out where it came from? Based on the scrolling pic’s on the bottom, I thought it was LAD but I can’t find the exact ring. Here is something similar from Lauren B, although your inspiration pic has a softer ‘U’ shape to the basket. It is closer then the integrated peg head that your CAD shows though. I think you are going to have to ask her to break out the price of everything on an invoice so you can see what you are paying. There is extra metal at the shoulders so maybe once that was corrected, the overall gold weight would be about the same. Either way, it is unreasonable for them to quote you a ring with a 1.1 mm thickness to it when every person who has bought a ring from the boards has rarely gone under 1.6 mm unless they have a really small finger size. You are almost at the prices you could easily buy a setting from JA and it would still be about the same.

https://www.laurenbjewelry.com/lepozzi-2-19-ct-round-diamond-platinum-engagement-ring.html

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you do a reverse google search on the image to find out where it came from? Based on the scrolling pic’s on the bottom, I thought it was LAD but I can’t find the exact ring. Here is something similar from Lauren B, although your inspiration pic has a softer ‘U’ shape to the basket. It is closer then the integrated peg head that your CAD shows though. I think you are going to have to ask her to break out the price of everything on an invoice so you can see what you are paying. There is extra metal at the shoulders so maybe once that was corrected, the overall gold weight would be about the same. Either way, it is unreasonable for them to quote you a ring with a 1.1 mm thickness to it when every person who has bought a ring from the boards has rarely gone under 1.6 mm unless they have a really small finger size. You are almost at the prices you could easily buy a setting from JA and it would still be about the same.

https://www.laurenbjewelry.com/lepozzi-2-19-ct-round-diamond-platinum-engagement-ring.html
I didn’t get it from any vendors that I’ve ever seen as I’m careful about that. I may have seen it in a moissanite site..The Lauren B one doesn’t have a rounded bowl. How do I do a reverse search with a photo? I wonder if it is a moissanite site that copied that from them. If you tell me how to search I can find out.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I didn’t get it from any vendors that I’ve ever seen as I’m careful about that. I may have seen it in a moissanite site..The Lauren B one doesn’t have a rounded bowl. How do I do a reverse search with a photo? I wonder if it is a moissanite site that copied that from them. If you tell me how to search I can find out.
Here is a link. I didn’t have the URL to do it for you. It is hard to know w/o doing the reverse such if it did come from a vendor that you know because it might just end up in google images or Pinterest and you don’t always know which site it came from. I know we all try not to do exact copies but it is hard to explain what you want w/o using inspiration pictures. I only say to find the origin so you can guesstimate what the shank might be or get a profile view so they better understand what you are looking for.

https://www.pcmag.com/article/338339/how-to-do-a-reverse-image-search-from-your-phone

If it is not available on you mobile device, google how to do it from a desktop, which is a little easier.

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
I can’t comment too much on Tianyu’s prices, since I’m just making my first purchase, but for the CAD I posted just above with the 7mm OEC and melee, I was quoted less than $450, before DHL+PayPal fee.

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
I am in the process of getting a ring very similar to this made through Provence Gems. It isn’t open in the center, but it’s a bezel half-eternity. You might consider getting a quote from them as well! I have some info about their pricing over in the Provence thread.
Looking to get a ring made from Tianyu exactly like this with H&A stones: https://www.jamesallen.com/wedding-...-bezel-set-graduated-diamond-ring-item-64431?

I think it looks unique with a tapered solitaire ring. What do you guys think? I'm hoping it'll be a lot cheaper than the other websites listed (granted it'll not be diamonds).

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can’t comment too much on Tianyu’s prices, since I’m just making my first purchase, but for the CAD I posted just above with the 7mm OEC and melee, I was quoted less than $450, before DHL+PayPal fee.
Thank you..That will give me an idea..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a link. I didn’t have the URL to do it for you. It is hard to know w/o doing the reverse such if it did come from a vendor that you know because it might just end up in google images or Pinterest and you don’t always know which site it came from. I know we all try not to do exact copies but it is hard to explain what you want w/o using inspiration pictures. I only say to find the origin so you can guesstimate what the shank might be or get a profile view so they better understand what you are looking for.

https://www.pcmag.com/article/338339/how-to-do-a-reverse-image-search-from-your-phone

If it is not available on you mobile device, google how to do it from a desktop, which is a little easier.
Best that I could find from similar is 2mm which is what you said to someone else..I think that would work for me too. Thanks!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Best that I could find from similar is 2mm which is what you said to someone else..I think that would work for me too. Thanks!
I would have another go around with Ella by showing her the pictures that you do have compared to the CAD that she created. Also ask for the breakdown in price because it does seem unusually high.

I know people like thin bands, and its personal choice, but I see people come back and say that they have become misshapen, dented or that they are losing pave in bands under 2 mm. The setting on a well made solid gold ring will last many years, even if you change the moissanite out for a gemstone at a later date or something. My comments about the mm sizes isn’t necessarily directed at your project, it is just my opinion although it goes against the current trends at the moment.

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! The slightly larger melee and wider band is more what I had in mind as well. I will ask on the height of the shoulder/basket, but I agree it seems like they perhaps have limitations with really low settings. I wasn't necessarily expecting that they would be able to make it look exact, so even if it ends up at 5mm, that will be okay, too. Do you think they will try to make a price adjustment if I change the size of the melee/increase the band width?
Hi there - looking at your CAD, the shoulders look slightly different then your inspiration picture as well. Tianyu seems to have limitations on how they can attach the shoulders to the stones. On the inspiration pic, the stone sits much lower and the cut out’s are smaller. I would bump the bottom measurement up to 1.6 for thickness so that it is a sturdy ring and won’t dent on the bottom. On the melee sizes, you typically need 2 mm of band width on each side of a stone so if you want the melee a little bigger, I would suggest that you make the band 2 mm with the melee size of 1.6 mm. This is the size of what your inspiration picture looks like to me. I think a 2 mm is always the wisest choice because the moissanite melee won’t sparkle much if it is too small and the band is weakened by cutting into the metal to put in the pave when it is under 2 mm. The rings just don’t hold up over time. I don’t think they will be able to do an antiquing effect on the ring but a jeweler could always do that for you after the fact.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would have another go around with Ella by showing her the pictures that you do have compared to the CAD that she created. Also ask for the breakdown in price because it does seem unusually high.

I know people like thin bands, and its personal choice, but I see people come back and say that they have become misshapen, dented or that they are losing pave in bands under 2 mm. The setting on a well made solid gold ring will last many years, even if you change the moissanite out for a gemstone at a later date or something. My comments about the mm sizes isn’t necessarily directed at your project, it is just my opinion although it goes against the current trends at the moment.
At this point I’m afraid to rock the boat. I think I will just hope she can change this and make the shank 2mm. If she says she wants more money I will then argue my point that it’s already expensive..more expensive than many rings I see here, etc. I’m going to just buy stones from now on and let David Klass make my settings. This is too stressful. I have another two rings in the works elsewhere and I’m getting a little crazy doing three at a time

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! The slightly larger melee and wider band is more what I had in mind as well. I will ask on the height of the shoulder/basket, but I agree it seems like they perhaps have limitations with really low settings. I wasn't necessarily expecting that they would be able to make it look exact, so even if it ends up at 5mm, that will be okay, too. Do you think they will try to make a price adjustment if I change the size of the melee/increase the band width?
I used to be able to answer that question but they don’t seem to be doing the same thing for each person anymore. The difference in the cost of the moissanite melee is probably pennies but increasing the gold width might be a factor. It is not a huge change so maybe that can be accommodated. I am sure if there is a % in gold weight change that they are being told that they have to charge for it. Let’s hope they don’t charge for a CAD change as well. It helps to specify the size of the shank and possibly the melee before making contact but I know it is not reasonable to think that most people would know these measurements off hand to do that.

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Oy, yeah, I hope not. :/ I thought about the sizing beforehand but figured I’d wait and see what they suggested. Live and learn. I really appreciate the feedback, though!
I used to be able to answer that question but they don’t seem to be doing the same thing for each person anymore. The difference in the cost of the moissanite melee is probably pennies but increasing the gold width might be a factor. It is not a huge change so maybe that can be accommodated. I am sure if there is a % in gold weight change that they are being told that they have to charge for it. Let’s hope they don’t charge for a CAD change as well. It helps to specify the size of the shank and possibly the melee before making contact but I know it is not reasonable to think that most people would know these measurements off hand to do that.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am a Tianyu fan and I’m sad to read about the difficulties people have been having. The prices are also much higher! I was thinking of having them make a .75 to 1 ct or platinum solitaire as the last part of my solitaire “collection” (I’m so crazy but I like options) but now I’m wondering if I should look elsewhere. My issue is that I’ve always liked OECs much better than more modern cuts and they have a nice one.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I am a Tianyu fan and I’m sad to read about the difficulties people have been having. The prices are also much higher! I was thinking of having them make a .75 to 1 ct or platinum solitaire as the last part of my solitaire “collection” (I’m so crazy but I like options) but now I’m wondering if I should look elsewhere. My issue is that I’ve always liked OECs much better than more modern cuts and they have a nice one.
I would continue buying the loose stones from Tianyu, that's what I'm planning to do, unless Mona (formerly from Starsgems) makes me a nice one. I asked her to make one for me and it won't be shipped until next week. If I do have jewelry made in China, I'm switching to Starsgem or Mona.

At least the Tianyu stones--for now--are semi-reasonable. If the 6.5mm stones get past the $120 mark, I'm not going to buy. For that I'd rather shell out the extra money for a North American company.

I was so put off by the quote I got for a ring that is listed in Tianyu's store, I just don't want to bother buying their jewelry. I guess I joined the bandwagon too late. :(2

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would continue buying the loose stones from Tianyu, that's what I'm planning to do, unless Mona (formerly from Starsgems) makes me a nice one. I asked her to make one for me and it won't be shipped until next week. If I do have jewelry made in China, I'm switching to Starsgem or Mona.

At least the Tianyu stones--for now--are semi-reasonable. If the 6.5mm stones get past the $120 mark, I'm not going to buy. For that I'd rather shell out the extra money for a North American company.

I was so put off by the quote I got for a ring that is listed in Tianyu's store, I just don't want to bother buying their jewelry. I guess I joined the bandwagon too late. :(2

Good point about getting just the stone. I’ve gotten so lazy since it’s so easy to get everything done in one place. But I do really like the Tianyu Stones...

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Good point about getting just the stone. I’ve gotten so lazy since it’s so easy to get everything done in one place. But I do really like the Tianyu Stones...
Yeah, it’s a real shame. Their stones are great for what they are, but unless their jewelry design is top of the line, I don’t feel like spending what they’re asking. I have an amazing local jeweler whom I’d rather go to and spend a little more with. He’d be much happier with me, too! (Lol)

Starsgem is still very reasonable in pricing with their jewelry. I don’t think their stones are that bad (just from what I’ve seen on that thread), but you’d have to let them know how you want them to be cut. It’s an extra step but I think with Tianyu’s rising prices, it might be worth it.

badmintongirl

Rough_Rock
Hi Swaye2010, just looking for some input. In your opinion, how small can melee moissanite stones be cut before it loses the sparkle? I have some in my 1.8mm band (not exactly sure what size) and they don't sparkle compared to diamonds of the same or smaller size.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Swaye2010, just looking for some input. In your opinion, how small can melee moissanite stones be cut before it loses the sparkle? I have some in my 1.8mm band (not exactly sure what size) and they don't sparkle compared to diamonds of the same or smaller size.
I have a bezel moissanite band with 2 mm moissanites and a rose gold eternity band with 2 mm diamonds and when I look at them in dim light next to each other, I don’t see a lot of sparkle coming off the moissanite band. I tried to capture it in a pic but it is hard to get the camera to focus. I also had an OEC with 4 graduated moissanites and the first one was a 3 mm OEC that I could still see some fire in but the rest of the pave did not have a lot of sparkle in the smaller sizes. I think the very small melee can just look a bit flat and doesn’t catch the light in the same way as diamonds do.

I know that the Chinese companies have been offering lab diamond melee as an option now too. I haven’t been as happy with the small melee or some of the side stones like the tapered baguettes, which had zero sparkle. I have sold some of those rings on and have tried to put a bit more thought into what I wanted so I am redoing several of the rings with diamond pave or loose diamond side stones that I found from Ivy & Rose. The projects are taking forever but I hope to have them soon.

Maybe some other people who bought pave moissanite rings can chime in...

53305D07-EE88-43ED-BAA8-0A603D160E02.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results