color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
C71BE0ED-4F0E-4701-94C4-7E1E2BEB556B.jpeg
IMG_20190223_232947.jpg
This is the claw prongs that I requested on my ring
Thank you! I will forward it to her..Look at my kindergarten scribble on the cad from my finger on the edit feature on my iPad. I look like I had a few glasses of wine. This picture will be very helpful..Thanks!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
A little off topic but I wonder when Tianyu will start offering .5-2 carat lab diamonds alongside their moissanites? It seems like it’s only a matter of time as the price of moissanite continues to drop and competitors start bettering their cuts. Personally I’d love to see if any of these alibaba vendors offer nice lab diamonds because I wouldn’t mind getting those. ;)2

Last edited:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
A little off topic but I wonder when Tianyu will start offering .5-2 carat diamonds alongside their moissanites? It seems like it’s only a matter of time as the price of moissanite continues to drop and competitors start bettering their cuts. Personally I’d love to see if any of these alibaba vendors offer nice ones because I wouldn’t mind getting those. ;)2
I am trying to work with one of the lab diamond vendors to get a fixed price for a one carat. We are a little over $400 for ‘F’ excellent cut Si2 stones. These are uncertified and I think certified will be another $150. I need to get all the cut dimensions and also figure out the cheapest way to get it into the US since technically it is still considered synthetic until they change the way it is classified. From what I have read, this might happen in the future where it may be considered a diamond. I think the 1.5 carats are still over $2000 though so it is not going to get super cheap just yet. I have one bad picture with the 1.5 carat round in the center. I hope to have some updates soon....may still take a few weeks if I can work it out.

6020BE5E-2ED0-4C5C-BB42-A8D276A65923.jpeg

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I am trying to work with one of the lab diamond vendors to get a fixed price for a one carat. We are a little over $400 for ‘F’ excellent cut Si2 stones. These are uncertified and I think certified will be another $150. I need to get all the cut dimensions and also figure out the cheapest way to get it into the US since technically it is still considered synthetic until they change the way it is classified. From what I have read, this might happen in the future where it may be considered a diamond. I think the 1.5 carats are still over $2000 though so it is not going to get super cheap just yet. I have one bad picture with the 1.5 carat round in the center. I hope to have some updates soon....may still take a few weeks if I can work it out.

6020BE5E-2ED0-4C5C-BB42-A8D276A65923.jpeg
Oh, this is exciting!!! Thanks so much for posting this! I can't wait to see your updates. Thank you so much for looking into it; I lost interest in Lightbox because they are lagging in production, so I was hoping there would be a Chinese vendor as a decent alternative. I've seen a couple on alibaba, but they are not well known and I don't want to buy something that isn't thoroughly vetted.

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
How has everyone’s tianyu rings held up over time? I’m gonna be ordering my e-ring Wednesday and want to make a good choice. Also how are the radiant cuts?

jdazer

Rough_Rock
Can someone comment on tianyu's H&A vs non H&A round brilliant stones? Do the non H&As perform better?

jdazer

Rough_Rock
They do cut a pretty good H&A round. I can give you a video of mine if you are interested. Returning a stone back to China is not easy. If you pay the extra for some tracking, it is around $40 and the purchase price of the stone is somewhere between $100-$200, depending on size. It would be much better to sell it on Diamond Bistro or Loupe Troupe. That being said, I think it is a wise choice to purchase a loose stone and have it set by a jeweler locally. I don’t think moissanites are a great investment since they are getting cut better year after year and lab diamonds are also getting cheaper at the same time. I would spend the money on a great setting and you can always replace the stone if you need to. The moissanites look pretty good compared to most of the US brands although there are a few in the US that are cutting them even better.

Sure, please link me to a video (or pm me the details) if you can!

Can you also please share details on which US brands you think are cutting better than tianyu?

1amaN00b

Rough_Rock
I'm also interested in the H&A stone from Tianyu. Does anyone have a whatsapp # for them?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Sure, please link me to a video (or pm me the details) if you can!

Can you also please share details on which US brands you think are cutting better than tianyu?
There is no way to PM on pricescope so I am linking my video with a 10mm round H&A in G/H color. It was cut pretty well by Tianyu w/ nice strong arrows.. Looks very natural in daylight but there is some double refraction in dim light. If you want the best cut moissanite by a US brand, then August Vintage would be it and there is a thread dedicated to those projects on the main Fashion Jewelry page. They also cut some of the Amora’s so they are much the same. The only difference I have heard is when they are sitting next to each other that the Amora colorless is whiter.

I have seen some cool antique cuts that are slightly wonky on purpose so they look like an old diamond from LAD (Love Affair Diamonds). Best overall cuts are probably Harro and they are being sold by Lauren B (NYC) and Debebian’s (LA). There are other nice ones like True Gem, etc but it would be a lot to name. My personal opinion is that a moissanite is not a great investment as the prices of lab diamonds are going down and the moissanite cuts keep changing and getting better in short periods of time. I like to invest in a quality setting from NA/EURO companies knowing that I can always switch out the stone at a later date. Everybody’s situation is different though. You could buy a loose stone and have a setting for it made in the US by one of the PS vendors like David Klass or CVB.

My Tianyu H&A:

jdazer

Rough_Rock
There is no way to PM on pricescope so I am linking my video with a 10mm round H&A in G/H color. It was cut pretty well by Tianyu w/ nice strong arrows.. Looks very natural in daylight but there is some double refraction in dim light. If you want the best cut moissanite by a US brand, then August Vintage would be it and there is a thread dedicated to those projects on the main Fashion Jewelry page. They also cut some of the Amora’s so they are much the same. The only difference I have heard is when they are sitting next to each other that the Amora colorless is whiter.

I have seen some cool antique cuts that are slightly wonky on purpose so they look like an old diamond from LAD (Love Affair Diamonds). Best overall cuts are probably Harro and they are being sold by Lauren B (NYC) and Debebian’s (LA). There are other nice ones like True Gem, etc but it would be a lot to name. My personal opinion is that a moissanite is not a great investment as the prices of lab diamonds are going down and the moissanite cuts keep changing and getting better in short periods of time. I like to invest in a quality setting from NA/EURO companies knowing that I can always switch out the stone at a later date. Everybody’s situation is different though. You could buy a loose stone and have a setting for it made in the US by one of the PS vendors like David Klass or CVB.

My Tianyu H&A:

Thank you for all the info. Yes, I think I'll definitely evaluate those vendors. I'm stunned by the video! Gorgeous!

Last edited:

BoiledEgg

Rough_Rock
My Tianyu H&A:

Oh my gosh, that looks exactly like what I want! Would you mind sharing your order details? Perhaps by PM or email? How much did it cost? Thanks!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my gosh, that looks exactly like what I want! Would you mind sharing your order details? Perhaps by PM or email? How much did it cost? Thanks!
There is no PM function on pricescope so the best thing to do is to send the video to Ella at [email protected]. She worked on this order for me. It is a 10mm solitaire knife edge in G/H color H&A. I had the setting made ‘squat’ so it didn’t sit as high as some of the typical solitaire settings. It has tab prongs instead of claw prongs. I think the total price in PT950 was something like $600 total with shipping. More than 1/2 the costs came just for the moissanite because of the size so it would be cheaper with a smaller stone or in white gold.

BoiledEgg

Rough_Rock
There is no PM function on pricescope so the best thing to do is to send the video to Ella at [email protected]. She worked on this order for me. It is a 10mm solitaire knife edge in G/H color H&A. I had the setting made ‘squat’ so it didn’t sit as high as some of the typical solitaire settings. It has tab prongs instead of claw prongs. I think the total price in PT950 was something like $600 total with shipping. More than 1/2 the costs came just for the moissanite because of the size so it would be cheaper with a smaller stone or in white gold.

Do you have an order number or something that I can ask Ella to reference? Thanks!

zeebo56

Rough_Rock
Just curious if $315 shipped for a 9x7mm DE color radiant cut moissanite loose only is about the going rate for these right now?

Do I need to request any other characteristics or anything special when ordering this. Like do I ask for ideal vs crushed ice, etc. I'm new to these type of details.

I was going to have DK do a custom setting for me.

Thanks

Last edited:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Just curious if $315 shipped for a 9x7mm DE color radiant cut moissanite loose only is about the going rate for these right now?

Do I need to request any other characteristics or anything special when ordering this. Like do I ask for ideal vs crushed ice, etc. I'm new to these type of details.

I was going to have DK do a custom setting for me.

Thanks
That sounds about right for colorless as long as it includes shipping/fee’s. I would just get a good look at the radiant cut before shipping. Only 1 or 2 people have tried it with mixed feedback. I know it can definitely show more body color so probably best to go colorless. I think they offer it in brilliant cut or crushed ice. I would probably pick the brilliant one over the crushed ice but it is still going to have a very splintery look to it if you are ok with that.

zeebo56

Rough_Rock
That sounds about right for colorless as long as it includes shipping/fee’s. I would just get a good look at the radiant cut before shipping. Only 1 or 2 people have tried it with mixed feedback. I know it can definitely show more body color so probably best to go colorless. I think they offer it in brilliant cut or crushed ice. I would probably pick the brilliant one over the crushed ice but it is still going to have a very splintery look to it if you are ok with that.

Ok great thanks. I wanted to stay away from the crushed ice look.

So the girlfriend doesn't like round or princess cut. She prefers rectangle shape. She also liked radiant over emerald but do you think cushion or another option for rectangle shaped moissanite might be better from tianyu compared to their radiant?

Thanks

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Ok great thanks. I wanted to stay away from the crushed ice look.

So the girlfriend doesn't like round or princess cut. She prefers rectangle shape. She also liked radiant over emerald but do you think cushion or another option for rectangle shaped moissanite might be better from tianyu compared to their radiant?
I think it depends on if she minds that it is an obvious moissanite or not? The radiant cut is a very flat cut with a splintery look to it. It really doesn’t look anything like a diamond so if she is ok with that, I don’t see a problem. If you prefer something that looks a little more like a diamond and less like a moissanite, then my personal favorite is the antique cushion or elongated antique cushion cuts.

If you think of the Meghan Markle ring, that is a brilliant diamond cushion. The brilliant cut cushion moissanite still has a bit of the splintery look but it looks better than a radiant I think. I do prefer the antique cuts from Starsgem a bit more than Tianyu but I am sure that Tianyu has pretty good brilliant cuts still. So if she was considering a cushion, you could go with square or elongated and also choose between brilliant or antique. Do you know what she prefers?
Thanks

zeebo56

Rough_Rock
@swaye2010

So she said she prefers brilliant cushion non elongated. Would you go with tianyu or starsgem or Provence or someone else?

A lot of the round moissanites here look great so I'd like to have that look in a radiant or cushion shape. But you are saying the radiants from tianyu may not be as good as the forever one radiants because those look amazing from videos I have seen. But now it also seems that the non elongated style is preferred and probably better for the setting I am getting made.

And what size equivalent would you recommend since I was originally looking at the 9x7mm radiant cut?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
@swaye2010

So she said she prefers brilliant cushion non elongated. Would you go with tianyu or starsgem or Provence or someone else?

A lot of the round moissanites here look great so I'd like to have that look in a radiant or cushion shape. But you are saying the radiants from tianyu may not be as good as the forever one radiants because those look amazing from videos I have seen. But now it also seems that the non elongated style is preferred and probably better for the setting I am getting made.

And what size equivalent would you recommend since I was originally looking at the 9x7mm radiant cut?
If you can try to find a local retailer to see the F1 radiant cut in person, that is the best I can suggest. I would think all major retailers will carry them. It is really hard to trust video’s as they use fancy lighting and you don’t get what it looks like in everyday lighting situations. I would probably choose the F1 radiant over the one from Tianyu to be honest. The fancy cuts have not been as good as the round or antique’s except maybe in the oval & pear. I think your best bet would be a square brilliant cushion then if you want to save and go with Tianyu. Cushion’s face up smaller so you will have to go a little bigger in diamond equivalent weight to get the same look you are after.

mousemouse

Rough_Rock
For those who have ordered in the past, how has the timeline been since payment? I paid the full amount on the 19th, and emailed for update on the 24th, where Emily said they were verifying the payment. I haven't heard anything since.... feeling a bit antsy!

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm, I am working with Ella, but my payment was verified the same day, I believe. This was before the holiday, though. Maybe they are just extremely backed up processing orders? I paid via PayPal—I’m assuming you probably did, too.
For those who have ordered in the past, how has the timeline been since payment? I paid the full amount on the 19th, and emailed for update on the 24th, where Emily said they were verifying the payment. I haven't heard anything since.... feeling a bit antsy!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you pay by PayPal? Ella always responded right away after payment..and a PayPal also emailed me with noticification that it was sent. I don’t mind paying the fee because I’m protected. I don’t think you have anything to worry about because it’s a reputable company. I would keep emailing her until she answers you.

Tedward

Rough_Rock
I'm still in the process with Tianyu, but my payment through Ali Baba processed the same day. Ella told me that she would send the CAD 2-3 days after that. That was two days ago, so I expect I will get an email tonight (I was hoping it would be closer to the two days, because I'm excited, but alas).

docscully

Rough_Rock
I paid for my ring on February 15, the payment was verified shortly thereafter. (I paid via credit card, if that makes a difference.) I got my CAD late Monday night (2/25)-- they started the CAD on the 18th, so about a week. Modifications/clarifications were forwarded to the designer yesterday. At this point I'm not sure if I see a second CAD or they start production. That's my timeline so far.

Staceyjan

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think it means that you are being quoted & charged for 3.8 grams of gold but there could be some metal loss after polishing that might equal something slightly less than 3.8 grams of gold. They seem to want to point this out lately in case it does not match.
That makes sense. Thank you for the explanation. I just ordered them and so excited.

mousemouse

Rough_Rock
Thanks the replies. I paid via Alibaba. I'm going to email her again and ask. Hoping it's just a backlog of orders!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just received my revised cad for my 8.5mm colorless OEC! It’s perfect so it’s going into production. They’re holding my princess earrings so I’m assuming they’ll be packaged together. I did pay for separate DHL charges for each..so I’m a little upset about that but want to get them soon! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results