shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I just received my revised cad for my 8.5mm colorless OEC! It’s perfect so it’s going into production. They’re holding my princess earrings so I’m assuming they’ll be packaged together. I did pay for separate DHL charges for each..so I’m a little upset about that but want to get them soon! :appl:
That's weird; do you think you can ask them if they can ship the princess earrings now? Honestly, I'd be pretty annoyed myself...that shipping is not cheap. In any case, I'm excited for you with both!!! :love:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's weird; do you think you can ask them if they can ship the princess earrings now? Honestly, I'd be pretty annoyed myself...that shipping is not cheap. In any case, I'm excited for you with both!!! :love:
I really should say something but I probably won’t..:wall:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Tedward

Rough_Rock
I've gotten my first CAD back from Tianyu for my girlfriend's engagement ring and would love some input about anything you notice that needs to change. I've attached inspiration pictures for reference. Right off the bat, I noticed that the CAD was done for a 6mm stone and the entire time I've been working with Ella, we discussed a 6.5mm stone. I emailed her back and asked her to update the CAD to reflect the correct size. The center stone is going to be a DEF H&A. Ella hasnt't mentioned the color or cut of the side stones, and I would certainly welcome feedback about for what I should be asking in that regard.
Thank you in advance for your help!
e0f69411bc3a54e2251b42c30954c0a.png View media item 122703View media item 122702

Tedward

Rough_Rock
I've gotten my first CAD back from Tianyu for my girlfriend's engagement ring and would love some input about anything you notice that needs to change. I've attached inspiration pictures for reference. Right off the bat, I noticed that the CAD was done for a 6mm stone and the entire time I've been working with Ella, we discussed a 6.5mm stone. I emailed her back and asked her to update the CAD to reflect the correct size. The center stone is going to be a DEF H&A. Ella hasnt't mentioned the color or cut of the side stones, and I would certainly welcome feedback about for what I should be asking in that regard.
e0f69411bc3a54e2251b42c30954c0a.png View media item 122703View media item 122702
004710e4-cd84-4131-9931-f7fdb0db9d71.jpg
Here is the updated CAD with the correct size stone

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
004710e4-cd84-4131-9931-f7fdb0db9d71.jpg
Here is the updated CAD with the correct size stone
I don’t see any major problems with this CAD. I would probably make the thickness of the ring 1.6 mm instead of 1.5 just so it stays durable over time. The only other thing I would consider is the width. The taper goes from 2.8 to 1.6 which seems like a lot. I think down to 1.8 might be a bit better. I only say this so it looks a bit more balanced. I don’t know if you plan on wearing an band with this but it will probably require a spacer. It’s a little hard to tell from the CAD but the width might help it clear the prongs. Just something to consider....

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Regarding the side stones, they told me they would match the melee to my main stone (GH in my case), so you may want to confirm that they will do the same for you. You do want them to match.

Tedward

Rough_Rock
I don’t see any major problems with this CAD. I would probably make the thickness of the ring 1.6 mm instead of 1.5 just so it stays durable over time. The only other thing I would consider is the width. The taper goes from 2.8 to 1.6 which seems like a lot. I think down to 1.8 might be a bit better. I only say this so it looks a bit more balanced. I don’t know if you plan on wearing an band with this but it will probably require a spacer. It’s a little hard to tell from the CAD but the width might help it clear the prongs. Just something to consider....
She will be wearing a band with this, but I'm waiting to get the band so that she can choose it. However, I hadn't really thought about ensuring that the design of this ring would work with a band. I appreciate the feedback on the width; I had wondered if the transition from the top to the bottom of the band was a touch too pronounced.

Tedward

Rough_Rock
Regarding the side stones, they told me they would match the melee to my main stone (GH in my case), so you may want to confirm that they will do the same for you. You do want them to match.
That's good to know. I will make sure to confirm with Ella before they cast the ring that the side stones will match. Thank you for your input!

Tedward

Rough_Rock
Maybe it's just because it's a CAD and not a real image, but does the gallery seem too large for the stone? I would think that it should fit pretty snugly there, but the image seems to show some extra space.

A J

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I have a couple questions regarding Tianyu:
1) Does anyone know if Tianyu does a "crushed ice" cut for round moissanites? If so, does anyone have a picture of one? I heard they are a bit hazy under normal lighting... but I think they look beautiful

2) I reached out to a rep at Tianyu and requested a ring with a single moissanite stone, with pave-style sidestones. I asked if she could make the width of the band as thin as possible, as she says that 2mm (where the pave is) is the thinnest they can do without it being easily bendable. Does anyone else have a thinner band, including the part where the sidestones are? If so, do you feel like it is super flimsy? Sorry if this question is confusing. My girlfriend is looking for a thin band, and I've seen some sites with bands as thin as 1.4mm

Thank you in advance for any information!

-AJ

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,

I have a couple questions regarding Tianyu:
1) Does anyone know if Tianyu does a "crushed ice" cut for round moissanites? If so, does anyone have a picture of one? I heard they are a bit hazy under normal lighting... but I think they look beautiful

2) I reached out to a rep at Tianyu and requested a ring with a single moissanite stone, with pave-style sidestones. I asked if she could make the width of the band as thin as possible, as she says that 2mm (where the pave is) is the thinnest they can do without it being easily bendable. Does anyone else have a thinner band, including the part where the sidestones are? If so, do you feel like it is super flimsy? Sorry if this question is confusing. My girlfriend is looking for a thin band, and I've seen some sites with bands as thin as 1.4mm

Thank you in advance for any information!

-AJ

I’ve done a LOT of research on rounds, and as far as I recall I’ve never seen a crushed ice cut in Moissanite or diamonds either one? Ovals and cushions, sure. But never a round. Just round brilliant, H&A and OEC/transitional cuts.

I can’t speak to the longevity of a thinner band, but I’ve read a lot of horror stories about going the trendy, thin band route. I’d stick to 2mm, especially with pave. Lots of metal gets lost with setting the melee, and I wouldn’t want to risk the integrity of a ring, especially if it’s something like an engagement ring that will likely be worn every day for decades. 2mm seems like a thick band, but in reality it’s not at all. Especially if you’re choosing a larger center stone to offset the band.

Do you have inspiration pics to share? Good luck! Please post pics of your progress!

A J

Rough_Rock
I’ve done a LOT of research on rounds, and as far as I recall I’ve never seen a crushed ice cut in Moissanite or diamonds either one? Ovals and cushions, sure. But never a round. Just round brilliant, H&A and OEC/transitional cuts.

I can’t speak to the longevity of a thinner band, but I’ve read a lot of horror stories about going the trendy, thin band route. I’d stick to 2mm, especially with pave. Lots of metal gets lost with setting the melee, and I wouldn’t want to risk the integrity of a ring, especially if it’s something like an engagement ring that will likely be worn every day for decades. 2mm seems like a thick band, but in reality it’s not at all. Especially if you’re choosing a larger center stone to offset the band.

Do you have inspiration pics to share? Good luck! Please post pics of your progress!
Thank you so much for your reply. My girlfriend is all for moissanite, but the main thing that turns her off is the rainbow/disco-ball effect that they seem to have. From what I've noticed in the oval/cushion-cuts that are in the "Crushed ice" style... they don't seem as rainbow-...ey... as other cuts. Like the H&A style for example.

And a 2mm band seems thin to me, but for some reason my girlfriend wants even thinner... so I'm stressing out a bit haha. Thanks again for your input, I really appreciate it :)

Oh, and I'm looking to get her a ring like this one (in Rose Gold): https://www.moissaniteco.com/round-forever-one-engagement-ring-with-claw-prongs-p-23470.html

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for your reply. My girlfriend is all for moissanite, but the main thing that turns her off is the rainbow/disco-ball effect that they seem to have. From what I've noticed in the oval/cushion-cuts that are in the "Crushed ice" style... they don't seem as rainbow-...ey... as other cuts. Like the H&A style for example.

And a 2mm band seems thin to me, but for some reason my girlfriend wants even thinner... so I'm stressing out a bit haha. Thanks again for your input, I really appreciate it :)

Oh, and I'm looking to get her a ring like this one (in Rose Gold): https://www.moissaniteco.com/round-forever-one-engagement-ring-with-claw-prongs-p-23470.html
You can get a crushed ice in an oval, cushion or pear but I haven’t seen them in a round before. I find the oval acceptable but if you want a really good crushed ice, I would suggest going for the Harro brand because those are the only ones I have seen that look pretty good. There is less disco ball with some of the newer cuts but it is still there. If you want to avoid it in a very bad way, I would stick with vintage cuts as you will get chunky flashes of light. There is less disco ball in general if you are under a 2 carat equivalent stone as well.

I agree with everything that @michellelynn9175 said about the thin pave band. This seems to be the #1 thing people ask for these days and it is just too thin for pave. If you can imagine a how small 1 mm is and then you are going to gouge out half of the metal to place a stone in there to further weaken it. Every person who has done these really thin bands has to carefully take the band on and off every day to keep it from bending out of shape. Then we read about them resetting it with a 2mm band. If it was a ‘fun’ ring or travel ring, it would be fine but it doesn’t hold up to everyday life and is so impractical. She may be disappointed that it is not super thin but take her to a jewelry store to try some rings on so she can get a feel. I would say 1.8 mm is the minimum and the problem with moissanites is the smaller you go, the less sparkle they have so you don’t get the same scintillation that you do with diamonds in tiny pave..IMO.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the others on the thin band. I also think it depends on her lifestyle as to if a thin band might possibly be gotten away with. My grandmother wore her ring set through her very short marriage to her second husband. She did not wear it after her divorce and yet the band is unwearable unless I get it reshanked because it's so thin and warped. I imagine because she wore it to her house cleaning jobs and lifted heavy things and shouldn't have. I can't think of a any other reason it would be in such bad shape.
Of course there's also dumb luck or bad luck. There was a girl on another site and she might have posted about it here too. I don't remember. She posted her story talking about how she had a thin band ring and babied it and yet one accidental hard bump snapped the head off or something. You really cannot account for other people bumping into you either. Both of those things make me uninterested in a ring below 2mm wide. It really is not that wide as the others have said.

Patricia84

Rough_Rock
Hi @Morenita21
the eternity band that appears in this video:
is it by Tianyu as well? Do you happen to have the CAD?

Patricia84

Rough_Rock
Sorry for posting twice in a row, but this is a completely different topic so I thought they should go in separate posts.

I don't know if you guys know a blogger/instagrammer called Emily Schuman. She wears a wonderful vintage sapphire ring on her pinky and I would love to get something similar from Tianyu. My questions are:
1. What do you think the measurements should be if I wanted it in an oval shape to get a similar look size wise? I mean oval and center stone.
2. Do you think they can execute the halo correctly? Will the stones look dull?
3. Also, does anyone have any experience with lab made sapphires from Tianyu?

I am inserting a screenshot from instastories:

Screenshot_20190227-195120.png

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for posting twice in a row, but this is a completely different topic so I thought they should go in separate posts.

I don't know if you guys know a blogger/instagrammer called Emily Schuman. She wears a wonderful vintage sapphire ring on her pinky and I would love to get something similar from Tianyu. My questions are:
1. What do you think the measurements should be if I wanted it in an oval shape to get a similar look size wise? I mean oval and center stone.
2. Do you think they can execute the halo correctly? Will the stones look dull?
3. Also, does anyone have any experience with lab made sapphires from Tianyu?

I am inserting a screenshot from instastories:

Screenshot_20190227-195120.png
This looks like a heirloom piece with single cut diamonds and it is a very specific looking ring. I would not have Tianyu try to recreate this. The lab sapphires and color of gold will not look like that and they don’t really do hand engraving. You are much better looking on ebay for something like this.The size looks like a 1/2 carat sapphire and it is dark which is usually cheaper than the lighter sapphires. You would end up paying $600+ for something like this from Tianyu when you could find a natural stone and gold setting on ebay/etsy. Try looking on ebay.co.uk as well since they have a lot of antique sapphire rings probably in 9 carat gold which might be cheaper.

This is really pretty....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Estate-Sap...b0ce885:g:i48AAOSwHu9cbtUc&LH_ItemCondition=4

Even cheaper: So many options....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10K-Yellow...c:USPSPriority!23112!US!-1&LH_ItemCondition=4

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sapphire-D...USPSFirstClass!23112!US!-1&LH_ItemCondition=4

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-47ctw-Sa...b62abe6:g:t1gAAOSw7R9cL5CN&LH_ItemCondition=4

Staceyjan

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would love to buy some H&A 7.5mm Martini Studs from Tianyu. Ella quoted me 480 Dollars for a pair of Studs in 18k Whitegold. Is that reasonable? I have zero feeling for what would be reasonable?
I think that is comparable to what is average of her prices. My martini's were 6.8 mm H&A and I decided to go w 14K and it was $390 total. I was almost $600 if I went with plat.

Staceyjan

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Tianyu has a bunch of silver and HIJ moissanite jewelry on sale through 3/8:

https://activity.alibaba.com/promotion/discount.html?spm=a2700.icbuShop.25813.1.58735690s94CgQ&encryptSellerId=6pze2xWc0YfpQHE2ohOobw==

Did anyone see these? I saw on reddit that someone bought one of their silver items in December and loved it. I'm not interested in buying these but I thought I'd put it on here in case someone would be interested. :D

I just looked at it, too. Thank you for sharing.

I am interested in an eternity band but trying to see if any others bought one from her?

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I just looked at it, too. Thank you for sharing.

I am interested in an eternity band but trying to see if any others bought one from her?
I go back and forth with getting a moissanite eternity ring, but I've seen a couple PSers buy them and haven't had any issues. I'm not sure how the sterling silver ones would hold up, though. To me these seem like casual jewelry or trial items. I wouldn't use them as long term/forever pieces.

Honestly I'd love to buy the studs but I'm scared of putting silver or alloyed metal in my earlobes. :cry: I've worn 24K gold studs most of my life so I'm scared of trying anything different.

Staceyjan

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I go back and forth with getting a moissanite eternity ring, but I've seen a couple PSers buy them and haven't had any issues. I'm not sure how the sterling silver ones would hold up, though. To me these seem like casual jewelry or trial items. I wouldn't use them as long term/forever pieces.

Honestly I'd love to buy the studs but I'm scared of putting silver or alloyed metal in my earlobes. :cry: I've worn 24K gold studs most of my life so I'm scared of trying anything different.

Sorry, I meant that I was looking on her page regarding the eternity bands and then saw the promotions. I agree and would not want this type of ring in silver. I can't help with 24K but did recently order studs through her. I ordered 14K, 3 pointy prong, low setting martini's. I will post pics when she sends them to me.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, I meant that I was looking on her page regarding the eternity bands and then saw the promotions. I agree and would not want this type of ring in silver. I can't help with 24K but did recently order studs through her. I ordered 14K, 3 pointy prong, low setting martini's. I will post pics when she sends them to me.
Oh I think the earrings will turn out great! I'd love to see them.

My main concern with wearing alloys/silver is because I don't know how sensitive I am. I'm not picky with fine metals; alloyed gold is more durable than 24K anyway. I'm almost positive I'm not allergic to alloys (I wear 14/18K necklaces and rings) but as I've gotten older I've become more allergic to certain substances. I don't change out my earrings on a regular basis, either, which is also where my hesitation lies.

Last edited:

Clemsonfan15

Rough_Rock
Does anybody have recommendations on brilliant cut vs crushed ice pear?

Tampa_Wildcat

Rough_Rock
Hello, I am new here, and I won't say that I read every single post, but I did skim through all 59 pages. I am ordering an engagement ring and band, but have not gotten the CAD back yet. I am hoping that once I do I can have some feedback from you fine folks.

I will attach pictures of the inspiration for this set. The center stone is set to be a 7.5mm Round H&A cut Moissanite, DEF/VVS with a Platinum band. The Engagement wring was going to be left as is, but the band 2 of the stones were going to be changed to sapphires, as shown from the Photoshop I quickly put together. I can also send the link to the original as well if that helps.

Does anyone see any possible issues with them creating this setting? Again, I will post the CAD when I get it.

Thank you in advance for your help.

upload_2019-3-4_23-33-36.png
upload_2019-3-4_23-35-8.png
upload_2019-3-4_23-36-19.png
upload_2019-3-4_23-34-8.png
upload_2019-3-4_23-34-23.png

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, I am new here, and I won't say that I read every single post, but I did skim through all 59 pages. I am ordering an engagement ring and band, but have not gotten the CAD back yet. I am hoping that once I do I can have some feedback from you fine folks.

I will attach pictures of the inspiration for this set. The center stone is set to be a 7.5mm Round H&A cut Moissanite, DEF/VVS with a Platinum band. The Engagement wring was going to be left as is, but the band 2 of the stones were going to be changed to sapphires, as shown from the Photoshop I quickly put together. I can also send the link to the original as well if that helps.

Does anyone see any possible issues with them creating this setting? Again, I will post the CAD when I get it.

Thank you in advance for your help.

upload_2019-3-4_23-33-36.png
upload_2019-3-4_23-35-8.png
upload_2019-3-4_23-36-19.png
upload_2019-3-4_23-34-8.png
upload_2019-3-4_23-34-23.png
If I were to do something like this, I think I would order the center stone loose and then have it made by a North American company....or whichever company your inspiration picture comes from. I am sure they can do something similar to this but I don’t think it will be as nice. There are a lot of curves and changes in dimensions and I think they are limited in what they can do with their CAD programs. You will also get lab sapphires that don’t look as nice as having natural sapphires or natural marquise shaped diamonds. The moissanite versions of these stones tend to look more yellow and don’t have a lot of sparkle.

Tampa_Wildcat

Rough_Rock
If I were to do something like this, I think I would order the center stone loose and then have it made by a North American company....or whichever company your inspiration picture comes from. I am sure they can do something similar to this but I don’t think it will be as nice. There are a lot of curves and changes in dimensions and I think they are limited in what they can do with their CAD programs. You will also get lab sapphires that don’t look as nice as having natural sapphires or natural marquise shaped diamonds. The moissanite versions of these stones tend to look more yellow and don’t have a lot of sparkle.

Thank you very much for your feedback. Part of the reason I felt comfortable with them doing the band was they sent me a video (Attached screenshot) that was similar to the style I was was looking for. It seemed to look nice in the video. I would like to at least see how the CAD comes out before committing of course. Also my fiancee is is very cost conscious, she'd probably kill me if I spent more on the setting. But again, we'll see what the CAD looks like.

upload_2019-3-5_0-9-36.png upload_2019-3-5_0-10-17.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results