shape
carat
color
clarity

Anxious to get the engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/15/2004 8
6.gif
5:28 PM
Author: Tybee
oh my...

cross me off...he surprisied me that little devil. story to come!

OMG!!! Congratulations Tybee!!! I wanna hear the story and see your temp setting!!!!!!!!!!!

jenwill - good luck with the silly boyfriend and his new car desires... boys just don''t understand how their words and actions make us wonder and worry so much!! A guy friend gave me some advice recently on allowing my b/f to buy me the ring like he wants to. Guys brains are shaped like a waffle, with little divits in it for each section of their life - a work divit, a girl divit, a school divit, etc. that don''t communicate with each other (like girls'' brains do - everything affects everything else to a girl). But, when it comes to engagement and buying their sweetie a ring, that''s the culmination of all divits working together for the only time in their lives, so basically, when a guy proposes, he''s saying to the world, "My life is in order, I am a complete MAN". Weird, but I think it makes sense. So basically, us ladies are wondering "how in the world can he think of buying a car while he says he can''t afford a ring???", guys are thinking "Hmmm, a new car would be cool!" and in a completely separate train of thought, "Hmmm, getting engaged would be cool!" with no transfer of logic or information between the two.

twinkletoes - Guess who caught the bouquet at my aunt''s wedding in 1989? Me (I was 7). Guess who caught it at my mom''s second wedding in 2002? Me (20 yrs). Guess who''s new stepsister (2 years younger) got engaged a week after said mother''s wedding? Mine. Guess who''s father has been mailing them jewelry store catalogs since 1999? Mine. Guess who''s still not engaged?????!!!!???!!??!?!?!?! Whew!! OK, I feel better..... and I know EXACTLY how you feel!

Welcome blueroses!! Concerning ultimatums - I too had a mental deadline for him before I would issue the ultimatum, but that was in Feb, and the ultimatum wasn''t ever made (cause he didn''t have a job! Can''t do that to him...). He actually set this deadline himself - he wants to propose by January (but is leaning towards Thanksgiving). Concerning the bread tie ring, see my response above to jenwill about waffle brains. I TOTALLY get your frustration with the "perfect moment" crap, but if he''s got his little waffle brain set on it, you can''t do much to change that except proposing first! I think that rather than issue a deadline or ultimatum, I would talk to him frankly about how his delay in proposing to you makes you wonder if he really wants to marry you after all. Delay on his part makes you feel rejected and unloved, especially with all the familial pressures! My b/f and I have been together for 7 years, and my father has been shoving jewelry catalogs at us since 1999, my grandmother asked us 2 years ago when the wedding was, my great-aunt and her daughters (my second cousins???) gave us marriage advice 2 years ago, his crazy uncle asked me point-blank the first time I met him if I would still marry my b/f if he were convicted of a felony, and all of our friends have been staring at my left hand for, like, 3 years!! Every time I hear from one of my college friends, they ask "so, you married yet?" Frustrating!!! But I say, talk to him really honestly about how his actions make you feel, esp concerning his committment to you and his intentions, rather than issuing an ultimatum. Welcome and enjoy your stay on "The List"!!

Come on Tybee!!!!!!!!! GIVE US BLURRY PICTURES!!!!!!!!! They''ll fend off the ravenous diamond beasts!!!
2.gif

Poker face

Rough_Rock
Congratulations Tybee! I can''t wait to see your ring and hear your story.

I agree with many of the others Blue. Set a deadline for yourself, but I''d advise against an ultimatum. I''m in a similar situation and I know how frustrating it can be. My BF has made a few major purchases in the last 6 months when we''ve been talking marriage and engagement for a long time. Now he''s talking about needing to pay those things off... GRRRR! I think all you can do is some soul searching and be honest with yourself. How much longer are you willing to wait? I hope it works out for both of us!!!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
You guys are fabulous!! Thanks so much for the insight and reassurance.

Goldengirl, I would be honored to be added to the list of ladies in waiting
28.gif
(And your doggie is ADORABLE!)

MelissaSue, I can relate to the long series of un-met and delayed deadlines...that's kind of what we've been dealing with. I really didn't want to be "ultimatum girl" b/c I know how pressured guys can feel, which is why we had HIM set a deadline during the Spring. When the deadline came and went is when I think I blew a couple of mental fuses...it's amazing how we are edcuated, intelligent women, and this can just really make us a little haywire. Maybe b/c it's sort of the last bastion of letting go of control--even if just in terms of timing.

It's just hard--the more he has a hard time articulating what it is that's causing the hold-up (while insisting that of course it's going to happen "very soon" and this is what he wants) the more those doubts seep in. I think he understands how I feel and it kills him that this delay is hurting me, but so far it's unresolved....I should probably add that we are--for the time being--long distance, which definitely limits possibilities for ANY moments, perfect or not!! (We see each other ~ twice a month, and long story boring, I live in HIS hometown and he lives in MINE. So there's a lot of family cross-over and interaction.) And don't you guys love it when people accost YOU about what's up? My sister (who's married 5 years--they met 2 months after we did!--with two kids) had no problem lecturing me about it recently. I know it's all out of concern for my feelings and not wasting time moving forward with life, but it's kind of kicking someone while they're down, since the actual proposal is out of my hands!

Thanks for the opportunity to vent. I feel like I've become a little unhinged to the point where discussing our relationship has become the substance of our relatioship--and under those circumstances, I wouldn't want to propose to me either! Anyway, just being able to reflect on it with other people in the same boat is really helpful--I have to remind myself that he has been this same way about ALL major decisions--furniture buying, job changing--and that when he says it isn't about his feelings for me that that's probably the case. It's just hard to know where to draw the line so that it doesn't go on indefinitely.

Tybee, can't wait to see the story and the ring!

yanekie25

Shiny_Rock
bluroses, I agree with the discussing your relationship is the relationship. One day, BF said, can we talk about something else. I didn''t even realize how all our conversations resolved around the "ring". It does get take over. So, I have curbed the conversations. He feels much better about it. Now, I still think about it all the time, I just keep it to myself.
11.gif

rfath

Shiny_Rock
Hooray!

It''s so great to see the joy that such a simple thing brings...

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/16/2004 1:34:47 PM
Author: yanekie25
Now, I still think about it all the time, I just keep it to myself.
11.gif
I barely have a tongue left from holding/bitting it so much since July! I dont talk about it unless he brings it up.
14.gif

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/16/2004 10:12:39 AM
Author: njc
36.gif
36.gif
YEA TYBEE!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

if he bought a big screen TV before i had a ring i would more than likely have some issues. Its funny now because whenever we are near a Best Buy he has to go visit the TV. I then walk around the store with him complaining that we never go visit my ring!
29.gif

Hahahahaha. I''ve always wanted to get my fiance an e-present since I knew I would be getting a fabulous e-ring. Trying to think of something expensive that he would love, I offered up the Engagement Television. The day after we got engaged, we spent over an hour in Best Buy
1.gif
1.gif
And I didn''t get grumpy or impatient at all
12.gif
He''s still doing research, so maybe for Christmas...
1.gif

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/16/2004 2:41:57 PM
Author: sciencegeek

Hahahahaha. I''ve always wanted to get my fiance an e-present since I knew I would be getting a fabulous e-ring. Trying to think of something expensive that he would love, I offered up the Engagement Television. The day after we got engaged, we spent over an hour in Best Buy
1.gif
1.gif
And I didn''t get grumpy or impatient at all
12.gif
He''s still doing research, so maybe for Christmas...
1.gif
I was going to get the TV for him too. Then recently he decided he felt bad and said he wouldnt let me buy it all myself (okay, no argument there) and now it looks like that $4k is more than likely going towards a down payment on a house regardless of who it comes from. Im usually not too bad about walking around with him at Best Buy but i do find it funny that i have to walk around all the electronics but he cant walk around the jewelry or whatever i really like. Not fair. Although once i have the ring on my finger he could spend 5 hours in there and i wouldnt care either!

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/16/2004 3:59
6.gif
0 PM

I was going to get the TV for him too. Then recently he decided he felt bad and said he wouldnt let me buy it all myself (okay, no argument there) and now it looks like that $4k is more than likely going towards a down payment on a house regardless of who it comes from. Im usually not too bad about walking around with him at Best Buy but i do find it funny that i have to walk around all the electronics but he cant walk around the jewelry or whatever i really like. Not fair. Although once i have the ring on my finger he could spend 5 hours in there and i wouldnt care either!

How chivalrous of your guy to not let you buy it all yourself. My fiance just said "Wow, what''s my budget?
3.gif
" He has been very good about going to jewelry stores and making sure the ring is perfect, so he has earned it
9.gif

The engagement ring/TV money is definitely separate from the down payment account. The first thing my fiance''s mother asked when she heard we were engaged was "I hope you''ll still be able to afford a down payment!" We''re looking to buy in San Francisco and what my ring cost is seriously a drop in the bucket compared to what we''ll have to put down on a flat
23.gif

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Same situation here in the DC area. It is crazy the prices people are asking for! The townhouse buying has cropped up since the e-ring purchase (which luckily didnt break the bank). We werent planning on buying anything for another year, but the complex our apartment is in has gotten bought and they are selling them as condos. So in the next day or two we really need to decide if we are draining our savings and putting it towards a down payment or finding another place to live and wait a year. Oh the joys of becoming and adult!
14.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
Hey all, I''m new around pricescope too, and reading this thread makes me wish I had found this forum BEFORE i got engaged!

yanekie and njc- I swear I felt EXACTLY like you gals before my fiance proposed... and I totally hope for the best for you and everyone else on the list!!! We started ring shopping early this year and I totally was going nuts waiting for him to pop the question!! I thought he was going ot do it before he started school (nope) then I thought he was going ot do it on my birthday (nope) and after that I just gave up and of course then he surprised me! boys.

jenwill and poker face - i was totally in your boat too on the ring vs. car/big purchases/etc... my fiance just started school at an expensive private university... and he saved up 3 yrs to pay for it w/o loans... but he just kept complaining about how expensive rings were... etc. etc... and finally i was like s*** you''re shelling out 30k+ on a masters and you cant spend just a *little bit* of that on me?!! sigh. i felt selfish for saying that but that''s how i felt!

blueroses- hallo! and abt ultimatums, i guess i didn''t have to use my ultimatum(i told him early on in our relationship that if i didn''t have a ering on my hand by our 5th anniversary he was out the door - we just got engaged two wks ago at our 3 yr mark) but i agree w/everyone else here- make it clear what you want, and no wishy washy-ness... i find that hints dont work so well... you gotta say it straight out. or maybe you could ask him when you''re gonna see your bling bling - i did! haha but it sounds like maybe he''s just waiting for the right moment...

any everyone else - esp those of you buying tvs for your FIs - what are your budgets like?!! I really want to get my FI a pocketwatch, and I found a gorgeous one at around 1k... but I''m totally strapped for money right now (grad student salary doesn''t amount to much) and he says that I shoudl save the money for our honeymoon and just get him something (anything!) because his watch is broken and he needs to tell the time!! any opinions out there?!! help!!

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/16/2004 4:42:47 PM
Author: flopkins
any everyone else - esp those of you buying tvs for your FIs - what are your budgets like?!! I really want to get my FI a pocketwatch, and I found a gorgeous one at around 1k... but I''m totally strapped for money right now (grad student salary doesn''t amount to much) and he says that I shoudl save the money for our honeymoon and just get him something (anything!) because his watch is broken and he needs to tell the time!! any opinions out there?!! help!!

OK, sorry about this girls, but I had to chime in here and get this out of my system...
LISTEN TO FLOPKINS'' FIANCE!!! FORGOE THE ENGAGEMENT TV AND SAVE THE $$$ FOR YOUR HONEYMOON!!!!!!!!! Whew!!! Sorry again!!

But seriously, think about this! You can buy a big-screen practically anytime in your lives, but your honeymoon is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! Not to say that you won''t be able to go on wonderful romantic vacations ever again, but your honeymoon is your very first time that you can really enjoy being married to the love of your life in a low-stress, romantic, and totally indulgent setting! So many people I know who have recently married spent so much $$ on "the perfect wedding and elaborate reception" that they had to settle for a less-than-spectacular honeymoon. What is more important? A 5-course sit-down reception with a live band and open bar, or spending an amazing honeymoon with your beloved where you can revel in the "just-married" bliss? Same goes for an engagement TV! Save the $$ for the honeymoon (souvenirs, romantic candlelit dinners, SCUBA lessons, brand-new back-packing gear....) or a down-payment on a house. OK, rant is officially over! I will shut up now!
12.gif

Flopkins - Check out Target''s watch selection. I just bought myself a nice silver watch for $10, and they have some great men''s watches for under $40. Some pocketwatches too. You could get him a cheap-o watch and then the nice pocketwatch as a wedding gift! Or save the $1K for the honeymoon...
2.gif

So, my sister and I decided to bond over French manicures last night. My hands look AWESOME!!! Come on JD!!!!!! Get a move-on with my ering!!!!!!! LOL, my b/f is so cute! After the manicures, I went over to his place to watch TV and show off my nails. He''s like, "So JC, why did you decide to get your nails done with your sister....?" Hee-hee-hee! I''m like, "Oh, I dunno. We just decided to do that. And after my bird weekend, a manicure is therapeutic but cheaper than a massage!" *Wink!* I want it to be soon!!! Reena and Tybee have gotten me engagement-anxious again - the peace is gone!!!
9.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hehe. The engagement "gift exchange".

My poor Fi2b has a 1983 Honda Ascot VTwin as his "play toy". He bought the motorcycle when we were having our month-long haitus from one another almost 2 years ago, right before we became uber-serious. We call it Slappy because of the awful slapping noise the pistons make while it''s running. Now, he can''t even get Slappy to start, and has not yet been able to move it to our new house. We made a deal one day while sharing some ice cream that I would buy him a new motorcycle when I get my ring.

So, now he''s shopping for Ducatis.
6.gif

I''m hoping that means good things for my forthcoming Asscher.
11.gif

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/16/2004 5:31:38 PM
Author: JCJD

LISTEN TO FLOPKINS'' FIANCE!!! FORGOE THE ENGAGEMENT TV AND SAVE THE $$$ FOR YOUR HONEYMOON!!!!!!!!! Whew!!! Sorry again!!

But seriously, think about this! You can buy a big-screen practically anytime in your lives, but your honeymoon is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! Not to say that you won''t be able to go on wonderful romantic vacations ever again, but your honeymoon is your very first time that you can really enjoy being married to the love of your life in a low-stress, romantic, and totally indulgent setting! So many people I know who have recently married spent so much $$ on ''the perfect wedding and elaborate reception'' that they had to settle for a less-than-spectacular honeymoon. What is more important? A 5-course sit-down reception with a live band and open bar, or spending an amazing honeymoon with your beloved where you can revel in the ''just-married'' bliss? Same goes for an engagement TV! Save the $$ for the honeymoon (souvenirs, romantic candlelit dinners, SCUBA lessons, brand-new back-packing gear....) or a down-payment on a house. OK, rant is officially over! I will shut up now!
12.gif

I love you guys, but I can handle my own finances. Engagement presents are a fun way to celebrate an exciting time in our life together, and are totally separate from house purchasing/wedding and honeymoon costs. I''ve been saving and so has he and it''s all going to work out. That''s all I want to say on the subject of finances-- it''s obvious that some people (5ct owners, step up
35.gif
) have waaayy more $$ than others on this site and I think it''s best to keep money out of the conversation and not judge each other on personal decisions. I hope this doesn''t come out harsh, I just didn''t like the direction previous posts were going. I really appreciate the camaraderie of this thread so let''s keep the love and ring pics coming
1.gif
1.gif
Tybee?? Hello??
2.gif
1.gif

Flopkins, I think Skagen makes some of the prettiest, most elegant watches. They''re usually in the $80-150 range at Macy''s. I bought one for my dad and another friend bought one for her BF and they both adore them
1.gif

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I have just found this site and this thread and I think it''s great. I have just gotten engaged (after an 8 month wait from the time he brought the ring til when he propsed) I think engagement presents are really up to the individual. My FH has an egagement ring which I brought him and we will be doing gifts for each other at the wedding also.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/16/2004 6:24:39 PM
Date: 11/16/2004 5:31:38 PM

But seriously, think about this! You can buy a big-screen practically anytime in your lives, but your honeymoon is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! Not to say that you won''t be able to go on wonderful romantic vacations ever again, but your honeymoon is your very first time that you can really enjoy being married to the love of your life in a low-stress, romantic, and totally indulgent setting! So many people I know who have recently married spent so much $$ on ''the perfect wedding and elaborate reception'' that they had to settle for a less-than-spectacular honeymoon. What is more important? A 5-course sit-down reception with a live band and open bar, or spending an amazing honeymoon with your beloved where you can revel in the ''just-married'' bliss? Same goes for an engagement TV! Save the $$ for the honeymoon (souvenirs, romantic candlelit dinners, SCUBA lessons, brand-new back-packing gear....) or a down-payment on a house. OK, rant is officially over! I will shut up now!
12.gif

I love you guys, but I can handle my own finances. Engagement presents are a fun way to celebrate an exciting time in our life together, and are totally separate from house purchasing/wedding and honeymoon costs. I''ve been saving and so has he and it''s all going to work out. That''s all I want to say on the subject of finances-- it''s obvious that some people (5ct owners, step up
35.gif
) have waaayy more $$ than others on this site and I think it''s best to keep money out of the conversation and not judge each other on personal decisions. I hope this doesn''t come out harsh, I just didn''t like the direction previous posts were going. I really appreciate the camaraderie of this thread so let''s keep the love and ring pics coming
1.gif
1.gif
Tybee?? Hello??
2.gif
1.gif

Flopkins, I think Skagen makes some of the prettiest, most elegant watches. They''re usually in the $80-150 range at Macy''s. I bought one for my dad and another friend bought one for her BF and they both adore them
1.gif

I agree sciencegeek, which is why I shut up! And I want you all to know that I lovingly support all of your engagement-gift decisions regardless of my personal opinion concerning it, cause you''re all grown women who can manage your lives and finances just fine without me interfering - That''s what parents and in-laws are for!! Seriously, no hard feelings I hope!
1.gif

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/16/2004 7
6.gif
6.gif
2 PM

I agree sciencegeek, which is why I shut up! And I want you all to know that I lovingly support all of your engagement-gift decisions regardless of my personal opinion concerning it, cause you''re all grown women who can manage your lives and finances just fine without me interfering - That''s what parents and in-laws are for!! Seriously, no hard feelings I hope!
1.gif

Of course no hard feelings
1.gif
Long lost sister, remember?
21.gif

Just for a different perspective, I''ll tell you about some friends of my fiance: they went *all out* on the wedding and had a nice honeymoon that wasn''t crazy extravagant because they wanted to have a great party for all the friends and family who had supported them through tough times when they were single, and the honeymoon was less of a priority because they had already moved in together and vacationed together in the past. After the wedding they went out to a bar rather than heading straight for the hotel because they wanted to visit with all their out of town friends and family that they got to see way less frequently than they saw each other. I thought that was a sweet and mature thing to do.

reena

Ideal_Rock
hi guys, i haven''t popped in on this thread in a while but i thought i''d chime in on the engagement present issue. so funny--i too almost went with the engagement plasma for my honey! i was so excited to be able to pick out whatever i wanted (within limits) for my e-ring, and he spent so much money on it, that i just really wanted to get him something that he''d be excited about but wouldn''t buy for himself. i ultimately decided against the plasma for a number of (uninteresting) reasons, but, at another pricescoper''s suggestion, i decided instead on a "gift certificate" (made by me) for a new set of golf clubs of his choice.

man oh man, did he like that!
36.gif
engagement presents for the guy are fun, if it''s something you want to do.

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/16/2004 7:19:47 PM
Author: reena
hi guys, i haven''t popped in on this thread in a while but i thought i''d chime in on the engagement present issue. so funny--i too almost went with the engagement plasma for my honey! i was so excited to be able to pick out whatever i wanted (within limits) for my e-ring, and he spent so much money on it, that i just really wanted to get him something that he''d be excited about but wouldn''t buy for himself. i ultimately decided against the plasma for a number of (uninteresting) reasons, but, at another pricescoper''s suggestion, i decided instead on a ''gift certificate'' (made by me) for a new set of golf clubs of his choice.

man oh man, did he like that!
36.gif
engagement presents for the guy are fun, if it''s something you want to do.

Good idea with the golf clubs! Sadly my fiance doesn''t play, and I can''t quite swing the BMW convertible he''s been lusting after...
10.gif
I''m aiming for the same goal, something really nice that he would be totally excited about but wouldn''t buy for himself. If anyone has any other ideas, I''d love to hear them.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Hee-hee-hee! JCJD is hypocritical! A long long time ago (3 years) in a faraway place (college), JC told JD that she would buy him a stereo when he proposes! Of course, that was before JC decided she wanted to go to grad school and be a starving student for 7 more years, and before JD couldn''t find a job in CS thanks to technical outsourcing. Now, I just want to freakin elope and marry the guy - screw engagement gifts of any kind, including the ering, and screw the $5K wedding!!! LOL. I''m silly.
12.gif

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone here or does anyone know people who have eloped? I really want to as I don''t want a big fancy wedding but I am afraid of what my mum''s reaction will be cause she has been dreaming of and planning my wedding since I was a child.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/16/2004 7:42:43 PM

Good idea with the golf clubs! Sadly my fiance doesn''t play, and I can''t quite swing the BMW convertible he''s been lusting after...
10.gif
I''m aiming for the same goal, something really nice that he would be totally excited about but wouldn''t buy for himself. If anyone has any other ideas, I''d love to hear them.
How about something like REALLY nice speakers or stereo(Bang & Olufsen comes to mind...)? This is something that my honey drools over, but would NEVER spend the money on for himself. He will settle for lesser, because the B&O''s are pretty ridiculously expensive - but VERY good quality.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I've thought about this e-present idea for my boy as well and haven't come up with anything yet...I'm not in a position $$-wise right now to get him anything substantial so I've been brain-storming about something of sentimental value that has meaning for both of us...so far not sure! I gave him a sterlling signet band w/ his initials on one of our first Christmases together and he still wears that on his right ring finger. But I do like the idea of having somthing small that I can present back to him whenever the time comes that he proposes.

Let me know of any brilliant ideas!
emotion-5.gif

eta...I don't know ANYONE who eloped, actually. Although plenty of my friends have said they wished they had. B&O speakers would make my bf drool as well!!

psuheather

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone--I also have not dropped in on this thread in a little while. Possibly because I have nothing to report and didn''t want to remind myself of that fact???
emcry.gif
emsmilep.gif

Ummmmmmm...engagement gift???? Why have I not heard about this? I thought my bf was just making it up when he was griping (playfully
emwink.gif
) that I should have to buy him something since he has to buy me an ering. YIKES! Only thing I can come up with is the $4000 Rolex that he has been drooling over for months now. Well, I''m not even going to start worrying about it until my engagement present is sitting securely around my finger...

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
my apologies to everyone- i didn''t realize the engagement present deal would create such a stir...

sciencegeek (esp) - i''m sorry i dragged the whole budget thing into the mix,
14.gif
i guess i''m just confused and i needed some feedback on what i should do about an engagement present period, regardless of the $ issue... i know my FI is expecting a watch from me (he''s starting to hint rather shamelessly, in fact
1.gif
) because I told him I would get him one, but I''ve been really torn on whether to be practical and get something simple or to splurge and get him something he would never buy himself - esp since I know he spent a lot of time and thought in my ering, and I want to get him something he will love!

part of the problem is i''ve had such a hard time finding pocketwatches in the first place- let alone ones i like... so if anyone else has any companies they know that make pocketwatches besides colibri, jean marcel, charles-hubert, belair, and J Jurgensen... please let me know!! i will be forever grateful!!
1.gif
1.gif

jcjd- i like your suggestion of getting him something simple now, and getting a nicer one for the wedding - i was thinking of something along those lines too! i might have to go for that....

and sciencegeek i will look into the skagens... i like their look too but i dont know if they have pocketwatches?!

emeraldgirl- congrats!! my cousin eloped (sort of, bc the family knew) and did a destination wedding by themselves... but apparently the grooms'' siblings have ALL eloped!! and i have to agree i''ve considered the same thing, but i also want to celebrate with everyone i know! it''s a real problem there, because i want a small wedding but i also want everyone there - does that make sense at all?! sigh. my FI says that the wedding isn''t just for us, its also for our parents too... their moment to show us off! which i guess is true... i dunnos what do the rest of you think?!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I got my fiance a couple engagement presents that were little parts for his car. They weren''t expensive.. probably under $100 for both of them. But.. I hate buying him things for his car (because he spends so much time and money on it that I think could be going toward better causes) so... it was like a special occasion that I bought that for him. For his birthday and christmas I never would buy car parts.

I would totally buy him a plasma TV if I could afford it.. but there is NO way for me to afford that..He''d rather have a turbo for his car.. but I refuse to buy that on moral grounds.

As for walking around Best Buy.. I don''t mind that.. looking at electronics and stuff.. What I DON"T like is almost everytime I go in there he has to play the video games that they set up for at least a half an hour.. Even though he has like 20 video game systems at HOME.. So I am left to wander the store by myself.. And.. I attract nerds.. so I often get harrased by squeaky voiced sales boys amazed that there is actually a girl in their department..BUT GUESS WHAT I DID YESTERDAY IN BEST BUY while he played video games? (THIS IS AWFUL!!) ------------------------------------------------------------- I WENT OVER TO THE DIGITAL CAMERA SECTION AND EXPERIMENTED TO SEE WHICH ONES TOOK THE BEST CLOSE UP SHOTS OF MY RING!!!!!!!!!! I am SUCH a loser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay. I''m a dork.. I''ll stop now.

Melissa

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
..BUT GUESS WHAT I DID YESTERDAY IN BEST BUY while he played video games? (THIS IS AWFUL!!) ------------------------------------------------------------- I WENT OVER TO THE DIGITAL CAMERA SECTION AND EXPERIMENTED TO SEE WHICH ONES TOOK THE BEST CLOSE UP SHOTS OF MY RING!!!!!!!!!! I am SUCH a loser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay. I'm a dork.. I'll stop now.

Melissa

lol! that is too funny! i would probably be doing the same...if ring had my d@mn it!!!! hehe....i am totally feeling jcjd on the whole resurgence of engagement anxiety...i was chilling for awhile but....aaaargh! and it couldn't come at a worse time either....no moola post car purchase....sigh, and now we're considering getting the ring by leon mege can we say "KA-CHING!!!" anyways...to help assuage my e-ring needs...i practiced my taking-ring-pics skills by taking pictures of my promise ring. yes dork i know
9.gif

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
here they are...sorry if the pic is big...i dunno how to resize!

promisering.JPG

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/16/2004 11:36:51 PM
Author: MelissaSue
BUT GUESS WHAT I DID YESTERDAY IN BEST BUY while he played video games? (THIS IS AWFUL!!) ------------------------------------------------------------- I WENT OVER TO THE DIGITAL CAMERA SECTION AND EXPERIMENTED TO SEE WHICH ONES TOOK THE BEST CLOSE UP SHOTS OF MY RING!!!!!!!!!! I am SUCH a loser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that is a good use of time in Best Buy! Brilliant!
9.gif
9.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ginger! I had a dream last night that you got engaged! Course, I was also married to Prince Charming (of Disney fame) who died, and he had a blood curse and because I tried to save him I starting getting harrassed by this giant purple monster...we had this big house in Maine and every time I looked out the window this big monster was waiting behind a tree... and my bathroom was stacked full of diet vanilla pepsi. I have really random dreams sometimes... lol!
5.gif

Okay, list for blueroses!

Jean
lsmathis1
Mari
mostlywatching

Audrey Hepburn
ChooChoo
MelissaSue
msbennie
Bethanying
JennaJ
sparkler29
gingerBcookie
goldengirl
chialea
cute330xigrl (has disappeared?)
reena
stellamarina
1215n
JCJD
JKohio
tlmd
kaya
njc
ivanadiamond
rfath
Tybee
LaurenThePartier
firerock
tulipcloud
jenwill
palmbaybabe
denverkat
yanekie25
sciencegeek
psuheather
twinkletoes
ootthibo
pokerface
blueroses

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results