shape
carat
color
clarity

Anxious to get the engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/13/2004 12:56
6.gif
7 PM
Author: Tybee

I, for one, never gave two poops for such frilly things before, but now that I know it''s coming, I''m pretty excited about it.

So there you are.

Heeheeheehee! Perfectly said, Tybee.
9.gif
9.gif

I would definitely not describe myself as a girly girl, but I got unbelievably excited about my ring. My then-BF said "Whatever happened to the girl who was in no hurry to get engaged???"

P.S. It''s here!!!!!
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
I''m working on a thread
1.gif
1.gif

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock

What What What??

Come on! Don''t leave us hanging...and HURRAY Sciencegeek! I am so excited to see your ring! "Oh brillig day Kaloo Kalay!" (is that the correct quote from the Jabberwok?

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
ChapmanLovesHarvard, Tybee explained it perfectly! We''re the pre-e support group of the board.
1.gif

Ooooooh, sciencegeek, I''m already at the other thread!

.....anybody else got news to share???
31.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
No news, but I know now what I''m making my bridesmaids do for my bridal shower!! A spa/gourmet foods party!! Oh my, after sampling fudge, apple preserves, beer bread, Parmesan Romano cheese balls, raspberry swirl cake, we got to sit on fluffy couches with our feet soaking in a mineral salt bath with cooling eye pads and a warm herbal neck wrap on! Then!!! We got to try skin exfoliants, scrubs, and lotions on our hands and feet! PLUS a lip scrub and lip balm that gets rid of chapped skin! I was in heaven for 60 minutes! I ended up buying an instant manicure hand exfoliant that smells awesome and makes my hands super soft, just in case I need my hands to look beautiful anytime soon....
9.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
You know, it''s weird. It''s getting closer and closer to his proposal deadline, and I''ve been calming down a lot, rather than getting even more anxious like I thought I would. I''ve been more excited and almost enjoying the waiting game than anxious and antsy like I was before. It''s like this awesome peace has come over me now that I know the proposal should be imminent. But I hope he makes his deadline, cause I don''t want to know what I''ll be like if that happens!!

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
JCJD, that sounds awesome! Where did you go for this party? Or was it like a product party, like Mary Kay or Pampered Chef or whatever? I''d love to do something like that!
3.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Like a Mary Kay party. I have a friend who knows two girls, one sells Tastefully Simple gourmet foods, the other sells BeautiControl personal spa products, so they did a combined party! I''m so proud of myself - I only spent $40. I really wanted this facial exfoliant too, but it was $35!

It was awesome! I want to do it all again now. Feeding 130 birds will take it out of you. My feet are killing me! Maybe I can talk the boy into a foot massage...
9.gif

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2004 12:56
6.gif
7 PM
Author: Tybee

I, for one, never gave two poops for such frilly things before, but now that I know it''s coming, I''m pretty excited about it.

Me either Tybee.. When my b/f and first started dating he was all frustrated because I didn''t want him to buy me jewelery.. It just wasn''t my thing.. I''d rather have a new computer. (Or some cute clothes).. and then one day he brought me into a jewelery store and I saw the diamond e-ring case.. and I was like.. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH.. I really AM a girl!!!!!!!!! All the sparkles just overcame me.

Congrats Sciencegeek on getting your ring.

So.. this poor girl that I work with.. she finally got engaged to her boyfriend after 8 years (they''ve both been married before and have children). He proposed on tuesday and she has a gorgeous princess solitare. But today, she had to "give it back" because he wants to do his proposal again with his children there because their feelings were hurt. Which is a nice thought and all, and good that he wants his kids to be a part of it... but the poor girl having to give up her ring.. even for a day after she just got it. I guess her parents came into work to see the ring today too, and she didn''t get to wear it!!.

ChapmanLovesHarvard

Rough_Rock

Thanks so much for the info ladies!

What a great support group!

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/13/2004 2:31
6.gif
7 PM
Author: JCJD
You know, it''s weird. It''s getting closer and closer to his proposal deadline, and I''ve been calming down a lot, rather than getting even more anxious like I thought I would. I''ve been more excited and almost enjoying the waiting game than anxious and antsy like I was before. It''s like this awesome peace has come over me now that I know the proposal should be imminent. But I hope he makes his deadline, cause I don''t want to know what I''ll be like if that happens!!
I have felt the same exact way for the past couple weeks! It is kinda funny the way that happens. I was so anxious and worried for soooooo long (I remembered over the weekend that i thought it was going to happen last Christmas. I even got the tiny jewel box... turn out to be diamond earrings. Talk about being pissed that that was what it was, when thats what i asked for!). Now i just hope i get it when he gets it! I know what its like to be told or think a certain date and that date go by... its not fun or pretty! I turned into quite a b***h a couple times... although he saved himself the last time. He admitted he was buying the ring for my b-day, but didnt realize they had to make it. And here i still sit... but hopefully not too much longer!
12.gif
11.gif
9.gif

So glad you have the ring Science!!!! Im going to go find the pics now!

Great job Tybee... i think we should deligate all the PR topics to you!
9.gif

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
OK, my boyfriend is driving me crazy. He has some essential stuff he has to do, like redo the rook over the garage, and get a new garage door and garage door opener. But now he is looking at getting a new car in early 2005. All the while moaning about how difficult it is to save money for an e-ring.

I know in all likelyhood he is just doing that to try to throw me off the scent, but COME ON ALREADY! Don''t talk to me about a new car and then moan about buying a ring...sheesh

Sorry- just had to vent that out, and boy do I feel better
36.gif

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
oh my...
cross me off...he surprisied me that little devil. story to come!

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
Congrats! Something else to celebrate this evening along with the arrival of Reena''s ring...

Break out the champagne!!!!!
36.gif

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Congrats, Tybee!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Can''t wait for the story and pics
3.gif

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah for Tybee!

Can''t wait to hear the details.....
emotion-19.gif

twinkletoes

Shiny_Rock
my best friend''s wedding was this past Saturday.

so guess who caught the bouquet? i swear this little tradition gets more and more embarrassing as the years go by. in my high school years i thought it was fun. at 27 it''s rather mortifying to have to go up there when the DJ calls for all single ladies.

so comes time for the garter toss. from the wedding party table i see my BF saunter up to the dance floor with a GLASS OF WINE IN HIS HAND. i thought to myself...great, he''s not even going to try to catch the garter. as the DJ is counting down for the toss, the guys waiting see my BF''s glass of wine and push him to the nearest table to put down his glass. before the glass touches the table, the garter goes flying....and out of the corner of his eye my BF sees it and OUT goes his left arm and he snatches it up! there was a pause of shocked silence since his back was mostly turned away from the groom..and then a big WHOOP as everyone realizes what happened.

so yeah... even MORE pressure on him to get a move on!

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
TYBEE!!! DEMAND STORY AND PICS!!!!! Don''t be a Reena, now!!
2.gif

New list, ladies!!

Jean
lsmathis1
Mari
mostlywatching
Audrey Hepburn
ChooChoo
MelissaSue
msbennie
Bethanying
JennaJ
sparkler29
gingerBcookie
goldengirl
chialea
cute330xigrl (has disappeared?)
reena
stellamarina
1215n
JCJD
JKohio
tlmd
kaya
njc
ivanadiamond
rfath
Tybee
LaurenThePartier
firerock
tulipcloud
jenwill
palmbaybabe
denverkat
yanekie25
sciencegeek
psuheather
twinkletoes
ootthibo
pokerface

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Tybee!!!!!!!!! YAY YAY YAY!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Hello! I''ve only recently discovered pricescope and have lurked for a few days. Many Congrats to all the new fiancees!!

It has been such a comfort for me to discover this thread and see that so many others feel/have felt the way I do. I hope it''s ok to vent away in my first post....BF and I have been together EIGHT years. We''ve been talking engagement for around a year now, and there was a lot of noise (from him) about things happening by my 30th b-day....which was in JUNE. So it''s been tough for the last months, to say the least. Especially b/c I''ve been a professional bridesmaid this fall and everyone''s aiming their bouquets at me...he and I have been together so long that there''s really no discretion from either family or friends, so no one has any qualms about asking him point blank what the hold up is, when is it happening, etc. GGGAAHH!! We''ve been looking at rings for a while and he knows very specifically what I like (actually a lot like Reena''s STUNNING ring--that pave bezel look similar to the Ritani Endless Love and the Tiffany Legacy), but we''ve agreed that I''m not involved in the actual purchasing process.....which could be nice for the surprise factor, but doesn''t help in terms of the anxiety. I''ve also told him that as far as I''m concerned, a ring doesn''t have to be a pre-requisite for the proposal--he could give me a bread tie. Guys seem to get so hung up on this "perfect moment" business and don''t have a grasp on how much rejection we feel tied in with the delay.

What is the general consensus here about ultimatums/deadlines? The idea makes me feel icky, but I''m so beyond my wit''s end. One of my recent bride friends gave her now-husband an ultimatum and he''s since said that he''s so grateful she did. I''ve more than hinted at one in my frustration--esp. since my birthday--but the idea of sticking to it makes me sick. The upside is that we have never stopped communicating and being really open about how we feel and what our goals are--but that only makes it more frustrating b/c it''s hard to understand WHY it hasn''t happened when we are so upfront about the kind of wedding we want, children, etc.etc.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and thank you for the support I already feel just by reading about all of your experiences. I will keep everyone posted, and I look forward to continuing to hear everyone''s happy news!!
1.gif

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
Tybee - oh yay yay yay! congratulations!!!!! i''m soooo excited for you! and thanks so much for for your crossed fingers...i swear the love on this forum always makes my day!

blueroses - welcome! i hope your stay is brief but enjoyable
2.gif
. as far as the ultimatums go...i didn''t give one to my bf per se, but i did inform him of my rather tight timeline... i HAVE to get mearried before I start my residency (july 2006) and I would like ~1 year to plan the wedding so....work with it.
2.gif
i actually took this year off to do research partly to give us more time to get married. my bf was very understanding...but i have a veeeeery strong feeling tha he is gonna push that timeline as far as he can without pushing me over the edge...sigh...that''s my honey...what can i do?
5.gif

ok...i''m off to look for tybee and sciencegeek''s ring threads...they better be there!!!!!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ginger
35.gif

Hear hear--I hope it''s a brief stay too, though I already know it will be a good one, regardless of length. Everyone here seems wonderful!!

I hope your BF doesn''t push it too much...boys like to do that I think. My friend who gave an ultimatum was made to wait until the literal last minute....her husband proposed the LAST night before his "time was up!" But with all the stress of both a wedding and residency, I''m sure yours will give you a break
2.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
blueroses, welcome! Would you like to be added to our roster of (rapidly disappearing) ladies-in-waiting?

Re: the ultimatum... I wouldn''t. Deadline, okay, but keep it to yourself. I would, however, sit him down and let him know how you feel about the whole deal, and ask him what''s going on. He may be planning a surprise, possible, especially since you''re not involved in the ring process. Or he may not realize your clock''s a-tickin''. *shrug* Boys, ya know?

I understand eight years is a long time! I think you''re within your rights to (finally) initiate the so-where-is-this-relationship-headed conversation....
2.gif

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
1.gif

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t hate me...my pictures are blurry. I will figure this out and post them and the story tonight. I am so excited. He tried to be very sneaky, had an elaborate plan, and it didn''t work out at all...which made it all the more romantic.
I''m floating on a cloud here. It''s hard to concentrate on being a school teacher.
Must go, pictures and story later.
Thanks you guys...you are really the best.
Ginger and Golden...still crossing my fingers!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Tybeeeeeeeeeee

don''t hold out on us.

yanekie25

Shiny_Rock
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!TYBEE
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Can I get some of this engagement dust???? It''s like a wildfire over here. Goldengirl, is so right, this list is rapidly disappearing.

Bluroses, welcome. I had a mental ultimatium date which I never communicated to him, but was my deadline date. I never told him, since I doubt I would be able to hold up to my end, if it really came down to it. I think some men are turned off by it, because they don''t want to feel pressured, especially if like you said, your family is already laying it on thick. My experience is they think that since we know its coming we should be fine, but in reality we are like why hasn''t it come, does he not want to marry me, is he having second thoughts. My BF was blown away, when he realized that I really considered that he didn''t want to marry me, which was the farthest thing from his mind. The wait lets doubt seep in. I would try to talk about what the real hold up is. Maybe he has some plan or he is waiting for some money to come in. Who knows.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Blueroses - I give my boyfriend a deadline.. (several actually, since he never made any of them) but it was not an "ultimatum." Initially I wanted to be engaged before a certain co-worker of mine (shallow, I know.. but she just wouldn''t shut up about how she was waiting for her ring.. so I wanted to show her up..
emteeth.gif
). She got engaged earlier than we expected her to, so that didn''t work out, but her getting engaged was what made him really "get moving".. because he was afraid I''d kll him.. hehe..

SO then I wanted to be engaged before the end of August, ideally before a friends wedding. THAT didn''t happen..

So then HE put the deadline on himself of the end of September.. As you all know.. THAT didn''t happen either..

Then he pushed it back to Halloween, but by that point I wasn''t counting on it.. Then about 5 days before he finally proposed he told me that it might not be before his Birthday, which was just this past Friday, November 12. However, he ended up proposing.. YIKES.. I don''t know the date.. Must have been October 20th..

Tybeeee. WE WANT PICTURES! Is it the round with Baguettes that you wanted?? TELL TELL TELL!

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
no, it''s a temporary setting...which means the fun isn''t over yet...I get to still try on settings. I do want the baquettes.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
YEA TYBEE!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Cant wait to see pics and hear the story!

Yanekie - I am SOOOO with you. They are holding out on us with that e-dust!!!
7.gif
I guess we will just have to go out and find some of our own to share!

Welcome Blue! I never gave a real ultimatum or a specific date (althought i came up with many in my head). I gave hints and suggestions that since we always talk about being married and kids, etc what the hell are we waiting for? I did give one strong warning this past spring... if he bought a big screen TV before i had a ring i would more than likely have some issues. Its funny now because whenever we are near a Best Buy he has to go visit the TV. I then walk around the store with him complaining that we never go visit my ring!
29.gif

Okay... gotta go check ebay for that e-dust or e-fairy or something!

palmbaybabe

Shiny_Rock
WHOO HOOO TYBEE!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Congratulations, can''t wait to see pics and hear the story

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results