carat
color
clarity

Another OEC Question -- Pics Included!

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Yssie|1316369229|3020196 said:
kennedy|1316367231|3020184 said:
Someone needs to talk me out of doing something really stupid. I had a thought that I could not return the art deco ring and replace the current stone with the OWD stone. I could then sell the 1.43 ct myself? That's totally crazy, right? Would it be crazy to think I could get 5k for a 1.43 ct K, VS2? I sent an email to the seller asking whether she would sell me the mounting separately, but she hasn't responded yet. And the ring needs to go back tomorrow in order for me to stay within the return period. I just love that setting!

I just bought an "H" VS2 (I'd say I) 1.34ct OEC for 3.2k.. so I'd say yeah, expecting 5k if you're not an established seller w/ some awesome photos is - optimistic.

Where are people getting these great deals?? I hear this and feel like a fool for buying a 1.36 ct L, VS for 6k!

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
LGK|1316371412|3020224 said:
Someone needs to talk me out of doing something really stupid. I had a thought that I could not return the art deco ring and replace the current stone with the OWD stone. I could then sell the 1.43 ct myself? That's totally crazy, right? Would it be crazy to think I could get 5k for a 1.43 ct K, VS2? I sent an email to the seller asking whether she would sell me the mounting separately, but she hasn't responded yet. And the ring needs to go back tomorrow in order for me to stay within the return period. I just love that setting!
That's exactly what I did with the ring I bought from Nikki- bought hers for the setting, put my OWD stone in it, and sold the leftover rock. However, I have an antique mall at my disposal and was able to put the ring in one of our showcases for sale. I've sold a few things that way and, if they're well priced, they move. But. If you don't have a way to access the general public and sell at retail, it might be more difficult. YMMV! I took the risk because I didn't mind getting stuck with the "extra" 1.08 ct OEC, and could afford that if it happened...

That's the thing -- I can't get stuck with the extra diamond. I guess it was silly for thinking I could make that work. I still haven't heard back from her re: the setting, so I'm going to assume she doesn't want to break it apart.

What do you guys think I could expect to get for a 1.43 K, VS2 either from someone like Adam or if I tried to sell it myself?

Also, what do you think the mounting is worth?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would say the setting is worth $2000 - $2500 based on my limited knowledge of looking at JBeg and also the new replicas?

I too would like to know where yssie got that "deal". I have seen some good ones on ebay, though. I am too nervous about buying that way but if I did I would do what you did, Kennedy and send it to Niel.

When in doubt DON'T! I say don't on either of these and keep on looking.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D|1316382761|3020294 said:
I would say the setting is worth $2000 - $2500 based on my limited knowledge of looking at JBeg and also the new replicas?

I too would like to know where yssie got that "deal". I have seen some good ones on ebay, though. I am too nervous about buying that way but if I did I would do what you did, Kennedy and send it to Niel.

When in doubt DON'T! I say don't on either of these and keep on looking.

Yeah, that's what I figure, too. That would mean I'd have to sell the diamond for about $4200. Hmmm, probably not an easy task on my own. My guess is someone like Adam would offer to buy it from me for about half that (if even).

I never see such good deals, even on Ebay, but maybe I don't recognize them when I see them. I saw the diamond below -- it's a 1 ct I, VS2 for $2900. Looks like a pretty stone and I guess that's a good deal? I'm like you, though, I'm not a risk taker and prefer to buy from an established company, but I guess that means overpaying.

~~60_3.JPG

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kennedy|1316379794|3020276 said:
Yssie|1316369229|3020196 said:

I just bought an "H" VS2 (I'd say I) 1.34ct OEC for 3.2k.. so I'd say yeah, expecting 5k if you're not an established seller w/ some awesome photos is - optimistic.

Where are people getting these great deals?? I hear this and feel like a fool for buying a 1.36 ct L, VS for 6k!

The only real "deals" on places like ebay are from people who don't know what they're selling - and so don't label with those popular key words OEC/OMC, old european/mine/miner, deco... of course, they aren't professionals, they usually have utterly awful pictures and are incapable of taking better ones, and you're always taking a risk.. sometimes the risk of potential loss is worth it for that project, sometimes it isn't. Regarding my own stone - I bought and returned three before I came across this one, and I don't think it's all that much of a "deal" - but then, with the way prices are right now, maybe it is and I just don't recognize it!

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
So true Yessie! And.. I would like to see your antique diamond.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Yssie -- I really do think you got a deal, at least compared to OWD prices. Unfortunately for me, I'm not brave enough or savvy enough to try to find hidden deals. One of the links MrsW posted looks promising, but it's really hard to tell from the pictures and it's going to start getting very pricey to keep sending things out for appraisal. But it pains me to pay twice what you did for an inferior stone (in terms of color).

Thanks, MrsW! Glad I could distract you from studying :)

I actually really like this one -- I wish the pics were better. What do you guys think -- does it have potential?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Platinum-di...Fine_Rings&hash=item415ccdd930#ht_1950wt_1175

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it. But it looks A) dirty with oils on it B) slightly hazy or C) really poorly polished.

I would ask the seller to clarify if it's the photography causing the effect or if there is an issue with the stone. Also, I would ask them if they could clean the ring and retake some pictures of the stone.

I like the setting.

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
Glad I could help you look... I found another more lol. This one is a bit more and I'm not sure if shipping would be outrageous or not:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LONDON-1890-ANTIQUE-OLD-CUT-DIAMOND-RING-VS-1-70CT-/120774780522?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_VintageFineJewellery_CA&hash=item1c1ebce66a

This one is smaller but it comes with a very nice plat setting:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Platinum-and-Diamond-Ring-Vintage-/180689128282?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item2a11e94b5a

Not sure about this one.. but its worth looking into. I honestly don't even know if this picture is the actual diamond or not:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-43ct-OLD-EUROPEAN-DIAMOND-J-VS2-STRICT-GRADING-BEAUTIFUL-STONE-/150662949696?pt=Loose_Diamonds&hash=item2314362b40

Last one, looks like a great price. I don't like the setting tho... you may like it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-55ct-Old-Miners-Cushion-Cut-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-/120776104483?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1ed11a23

As far as if the other ring was good or not.. idk, the pictures do look weird and werent taken in a good lighting environment so its hard to judge. It does look like it has a nice pattern and is bright.. and I like the setting too. You do have 7 days to return it if you don't like it and that should be enough time to look at it and get it appraised.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I see a chip on the girdle in one picture I think.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mrs W|1316398716|3020419 said:
Glad I could help you look... I found another more lol. This one is a bit more and I'm not sure if shipping would be outrageous or not:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LONDON-1890-ANTIQUE-OLD-CUT-DIAMOND-RING-VS-1-70CT-/120774780522?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_VintageFineJewellery_CA&hash=item1c1ebce66a
LOVE this one. Ask for head on picks and ask them if they can remove the stone without harming it then offer for the stone only and they can scrap the gold.

This one is smaller but it comes with a very nice plat setting:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Platinum-and-Diamond-Ring-Vintage-/180689128282?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item2a11e94b5a

If I had the funds, I'd consider this one seriously. The stone looks beautiful and the setting is gorgeous. It's just ready to wear!

Not sure about this one.. but its worth looking into. I honestly don't even know if this picture is the actual diamond or not:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-43ct-OLD-EUROPEAN-DIAMOND-J-VS2-STRICT-GRADING-BEAUTIFUL-STONE-/150662949696?pt=Loose_Diamonds&hash=item2314362b40

Needs SO MUCH MORE information. Pass unless you adore it.
Last one, looks like a great price. I don't like the setting tho... you may like it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-55ct-Old-Miners-Cushion-Cut-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-/120776104483?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1ed11a23

I hadn't seen this one. NICE FIND. Culet might be off center and I have no clue what the girdle is like. And it's pricey. So if you'll keep the setting it's good. Otherwise stick with the OWD stone.

As far as if the other ring was good or not.. idk, the pictures do look weird and werent taken in a good lighting environment so its hard to judge. It does look like it has a nice pattern and is bright.. and I like the setting too. You do have 7 days to return it if you don't like it and that should be enough time to look at it and get it appraised.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
kennedy|1316396348|3020391 said:
Yssie -- I really do think you got a deal, at least compared to OWD prices. Unfortunately for me, I'm not brave enough or savvy enough to try to find hidden deals. One of the links MrsW posted looks promising, but it's really hard to tell from the pictures and it's going to start getting very pricey to keep sending things out for appraisal. But it pains me to pay twice what you did for an inferior stone (in terms of color).

Thanks, MrsW! Glad I could distract you from studying :)

I actually really like this one -- I wish the pics were better. What do you guys think -- does it have potential?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Platinum-di...Fine_Rings&hash=item415ccdd930#ht_1950wt_1175
I thought it had potential- it's clearly filthy, if you blow up the pics you can see the actual CRUMBS of dirt on the pavilion- but, look at this pic: http://goldrushus.net/lotABC6_048.JPG... It's got a *massive* chip under one prong :blackeye: Poor thing!

Honestly, looking at the options out there- I vote keep the OWD diamond. Maybe it's a bit pricey, maybe not looking at the competition. But if it's lovely in person? I think you done good, at that point. Antique diamonds are tougher to say exactly what price is exactly "right"- if it's exactly what you want (killer cut, nice size etc.) then you may be within reason paying a bit more for those criteria. Especially if there's nothing much out there to buy instead.

Or you could wait... it's true that things turn up all the time, and you might do better waiting. It just sucks seeing prices go up, and up, and up.

And, the deal like Yssie found? Yeah, it takes a LOT of patience to unearth those. And time. And luck. It happens- I've lucked into a few things like that- but mostly after *months* of perusing ebay, and then it really *is* a risk regardless. You could be out thousands. I took a HUGE risk buying my 3.39 ct OEC on ebay- a huge one! It turned out really well, but I could've been utterly screwed, too. I about died of heart failure waiting for it to come in the mail, you have no idea... :rodent:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh. So. Pretty. I don't know if you will like the color but the faceting is beautiful! http://www.rubylane.com/item/571649-100-00419/Art-Deco-Diamond-Ring

http://www.rubylane.com/item/571649-100-00120/Art-Deco-Diamond-Ring Um.... DROOL. That diamond is gorgeous. I'd send it to Victor Canera to see if he can carve and engrave the setting for you.

http://www.rubylane.com/item/571649-100-00389/Platinum-Art-Deco-RIng If you like the total package it might be a nice ring for you. The diamond's color and clarity are amazing and I like the faceting.

http://www.rubylane.com/item/161033-13260/Brilliance-1-25-carat-Diamond

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the others, if these so called "deals" don't work out then keep the OWD, or better yet, I would contact http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/ to look for a warmer OEC/OMC. Their prices are pretty fair and if they could find a L/M/or N color I bet it would be a good price.

Is this an engagement ring?

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
You guys are AWESOME!

Mrs W and Gypsy --- the links you're coming up with are amazing! I need to sort through them, but there are some real contenders there!

I'm going to throw something else out there to make things even more complicated. I may have mentioned that I once traded in a gorgeous OEC ring and have regretted it ever since. This was back in 2003. Well, I checked with the store this weekend and IT'S STILL THERE!! I spoke with the owner's sister today and asked the best they could do. I was told 9k. Here are the details and pictures:

1.55 J, SI2 (eyeclean) set in an 18kt gold mounting from the late 1880s/early 1900s. 4 side OECs total 80 points for a total weight of 2.35cts. The ring is a fireball. I didn't know nearly as much about diamonds then, but I LOVED the diamond!

WEB002.jpg

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
and more....

WEB014.jpg

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
last one...

WEB016.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mrs W|1316404866|3020483 said:
I agree with the others, if these so called "deals" don't work out then keep the OWD, or better yet, I would contact http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/ to look for a warmer OEC/OMC. Their prices are pretty fair and if they could find a L/M/or N color I bet it would be a good price.

Is this an engagement ring?

Mrs W just reminded me.

I am HOPING that I will soon be in the market for an old cut (crossing fingers!).

I'm planning to call Perry and ask him to source me an OEC. He's got great videos, good prices and a sharp eye. Might be something for you to consider.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
kennedy|1316406504|3020496 said:

YES. YES. YES. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

BUY IT BACK! BUY IT BACK!

It's EXACTLY what you want so the price is worth it. FABULOUS!

See if she'll go down to 8K. Just because it doesn't hurt to try to negotiate. I ALWAYS do and am frequently rewarded for it.

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous ring! It looks so regal. If you loved it then, then you will love it now. Yes, as Gypsy said, negotiate. I forgot about Perry/Leon, they do get nice stones too, I just get a little nervous because they don't ASET.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1316406931|3020504 said:
kennedy|1316406504|3020496 said:

YES. YES. YES. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

BUY IT BACK! BUY IT BACK!

It's EXACTLY what you want so the price is worth it. FABULOUS!

See if she'll go down to 8K. Just because it doesn't hurt to try to negotiate. I ALWAYS do and am frequently rewarded for it.

Do you really love it?? I never wear yellow gold, but I think it's a beautiful ring. I hope the center stone would be as beautiful to my eyes now knowing as much as I do. I don't know if you get much of a sense of the stone in these pictures.

The other problem is price. I actually offered 7k and was told that 9k is the absolute lowest. Does that seem very high?

My budget for this was 7k tops and now I'm at 9k. Yikes!

ETA to MrsW: No, it's not for an engagement ring. I'm married and just had our second baby. Honestly, though, that's just an excuse for the fact that I really want an OEC!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's my thinking.

GO through the links we posted. Flag the ones that catch your eye.

Then go to the store and look at your ring in person. Try it on and see how you feel. Come home.

Sleep on it if you are unsure. Consider how you will feel if someone comes in and buys it and then you lose it (only think about this AFTER you try it on again).

IS it the right ring for your money? Or do you like one of the rings we posted?

9K is a lot of money and unless it's perfect to you I wouldn't do it. How much did they give you for it? If you know the asking price and their original cost... see if they'll let you get it appraised and if ask them if they will negotiate if it appraises for less. If they will find a mutually agreeable appraiser and go from there.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1316411453|3020522 said:
Here's my thinking.

GO through the links we posted. Flag the ones that catch your eye.

Then go to the store and look at your ring in person. Try it on and see how you feel. Come home.

Sleep on it if you are unsure. Consider how you will feel if someone comes in and buys it and then you lose it (only think about this AFTER you try it on again).

IS it the right ring for your money? Or do you like one of the rings we posted?

9K is a lot of money and unless it's perfect to you I wouldn't do it. How much did they give you for it? If you know the asking price and their original cost... see if they'll let you get it appraised and if ask them if they will negotiate if it appraises for less. If they will find a mutually agreeable appraiser and go from there.

Seriously, Gypsy, I owe you for all your amazing help. Thank you. I only hope I can repay the favor when you're looking for your old cut (which should be any day now) :)

Unfortunately, I can't go see it as I no longer live in California.

I would feel very upset if someone bought it. That, I know. I've thought about that ring for years. I bought it not because I loved the mounting (I do now), but because the stone was so firey. I didn't understand anything about cut then, but I remember asking the store owner what it was about that stone that was so incredible. And then there's four 20 pt OECs surrounding it -- it's quite a ring!

When I traded it in, they gave me full value. I paid $8600 in 2002 -- clearly I overpaid. Looking at OWD's prices for a similar OEC, I'm doing okay. But 9k is a ton of money and I feel guilty spending it.

ETA: http://www.rubylane.com/item/571649-100-00120/Art-Deco-Diamond-Ring So, this ring you linked is intriguing. I don't care for the mounting at all, but the stone is nice. Is it a transitional cut with the small culet and larger table? It's $7500 for a 1.5 ct J, VVS (if they're right about the grading, of course), so a better deal than my old ring. BUT, honestly, for an extra $1500, I could have the ring I really want. And even though the difference in price is nothing to sneeze at, in the end, will I remember the extra 1-2k?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
OMG! I love your original. LOVE! Get it baaaaack!!! It's really unique and so gorgeous.

ETA: Yeah, I'd call that ruby lane piece either a later OEC or transitional. It's got a higher crown than most TCs, so it may be more fiery. Many transitionals are heavy on the white light, low on the fire, due to the shallowness, low crowns and big tables. This one at least has a higher crown than most, so it's at least *possible* it might have more fire. Definitely bear in mind- TCs and OECs can be very, very different in real world performance. I love OECs but not many TCs. Still, this one does appear to have pretty patterning. And honestly, my 1.22 OEC is verging on being a tranny and it's one of the most fiery stones I've ever seen- it's cut like most OECs with the same patterning and bigger culet... but it's got a 60% table and 60% depth. So, it's totally possible to get a fiery stone with a bigger table- just not that common! Mine also has a high crown, which helps IMO.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
LGK|1316412612|3020527 said:
OMG! I love your original. LOVE! Get it baaaaack!!! It's really unique and so gorgeous.

I'm so glad to hear you love it!!!!! I'm a little worried that the OEC isn't "top notch" based on my current standards, but I think back then I was really just buying with my eyes and I knew there was something special about that diamond, so I should really trust that.

Oh dear, I think it might be time for me to start looking through my jewelry box to find stuff to sell!

By the way, LGK, I'd love to hear the story of how you bought your 3.3 ct OEC. Is the story posted here somewhere?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
kennedy|1316412946|3020528 said:
LGK|1316412612|3020527 said:

I'm so glad to hear you love it!!!!! I'm a little worried that the OEC isn't "top notch" based on my current standards, but I think back then I was really just buying with my eyes and I knew there was something special about that diamond, so I should really trust that.

Oh dear, I think it might be time for me to start looking through my jewelry box to find stuff to sell!

By the way, LGK, I'd love to hear the story of how you bought your 3.3 ct OEC. Is the story posted here somewhere?
Yeah, it's around here somewhere... ah, this is it: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/say-hello-to-my-not-so-little-friend.84530/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/say-hello-to-my-not-so-little-friend.84530/[/URL] Basically I saw it on ebay, fell in love a little, and went for it. I'd planned on reselling it but ended up finding it impossible to pry off my hot little hand - once I saw it in person I fell in love a *lot*! :lol:

I absolutely LOVE that setting on your original OEC. I love the style with those side swirls- that's the style the setting I got from Nikki is in, just a different top view. That two tone look is utterly unique for that time period- can't recall the last time I saw a two-tone truly Art Deco setting. It wasn't til the '40s that two-tone came into vogue.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results