color
clarity

Another OEC Question -- Pics Included!

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
LGK|1316413316|3020529 said:
kennedy|1316412946|3020528 said:
LGK|1316412612|3020527 said:
OMG! I love your original. LOVE! Get it baaaaack!!! It's really unique and so gorgeous.

I'm so glad to hear you love it!!!!! I'm a little worried that the OEC isn't "top notch" based on my current standards, but I think back then I was really just buying with my eyes and I knew there was something special about that diamond, so I should really trust that.

Oh dear, I think it might be time for me to start looking through my jewelry box to find stuff to sell!

By the way, LGK, I'd love to hear the story of how you bought your 3.3 ct OEC. Is the story posted here somewhere?
Yeah, it's around here somewhere... ah, this is it: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/say-hello-to-my-not-so-little-friend.84530/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/say-hello-to-my-not-so-little-friend.84530/[/URL] Basically I saw it on ebay, fell in love a little, and went for it. I'd planned on reselling it but ended up finding it impossible to pry off my hot little hand - once I saw it in person I fell in love a *lot*! :lol:

I absolutely LOVE that setting on your original OEC. I love the style with those side swirls- that's the style the setting I got from Nikki is in, just a different top view. That two tone look is utterly unique for that time period- can't recall the last time I saw a two-tone truly Art Deco setting. It wasn't til the '40s that two-tone came into vogue.

Thanks for the link. Off to read it, but wanted to say that I was told once that the white plate is likely not original to the ring. I don't know what would have been there instead, but it sounds like it may have been added later.

Can you tell anything about the stone from these pics?

ETA Just read your thread. What a story and what a deal! That is one gorgeous stone, lady! I didn't realize you were in the Pacific NW too :)

LGK

Ideal_Rock
kennedy|1316413798|3020531 said:
OMG! I love your original. LOVE! Get it baaaaack!!! It's really unique and so gorgeous.

I'm so glad to hear you love it!!!!! I'm a little worried that the OEC isn't "top notch" based on my current standards, but I think back then I was really just buying with my eyes and I knew there was something special about that diamond, so I should really trust that.

Oh dear, I think it might be time for me to start looking through my jewelry box to find stuff to sell!

By the way, LGK, I'd love to hear the story of how you bought your 3.3 ct OEC. Is the story posted here somewhere?
Yeah, it's around here somewhere... ah, this is it: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/say-hello-to-my-not-so-little-friend.84530/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/say-hello-to-my-not-so-little-friend.84530/[/URL] Basically I saw it on ebay, fell in love a little, and went for it. I'd planned on reselling it but ended up finding it impossible to pry off my hot little hand - once I saw it in person I fell in love a *lot*! :lol:

I absolutely LOVE that setting on your original OEC. I love the style with those side swirls- that's the style the setting I got from Nikki is in, just a different top view. That two tone look is utterly unique for that time period- can't recall the last time I saw a two-tone truly Art Deco setting. It wasn't til the '40s that two-tone came into vogue.

Thanks for the link. Off to read it, but wanted to say that I was told once that the white plate is likely not original to the ring. I don't know what would have been there instead, but it sounds like it may have been added later.

ETA Just read your thread. What a story and what a deal! That is one gorgeous stone, lady! I didn't realize you were in the Pacific NW too :)

Well, it's got a fabulously white color, a nice tall crown and small table, and the center looks bright in all the pics. All are very good signs! Interesting about the center, white metal bit being a later addition- the two tone look would've indeed been incredibly unusual for the era. Whoever did the work integrated it nicely, that's for sure.

So you're across the border from me but still nearby huh? Cool! We used to vacation up in Vancouver a lot but DH keeps putting off getting his passport so it's been a few years. I love the PNW, and luckily I love rain :lol:- I spent so long in Colorado in my teens I ended up hating too much sun- I love the cloudy climate and all the green here. :bigsmile:

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
LGK|1316416273|3020542 said:
kennedy|1316413798|3020531 said:

Well, it's got a fabulously white color, a nice tall crown and small table, and the center looks bright in all the pics. All are very good signs! Interesting about the center, white metal bit being a later addition- the two tone look would've indeed been incredibly unusual for the era. Whoever did the work integrated it nicely, that's for sure.

So you're across the border from me but still nearby huh? Cool! We used to vacation up in Vancouver a lot but DH keeps putting off getting his passport so it's been a few years. I love the PNW, and luckily I love rain :lol:- I spent so long in Colorado in my teens I ended up hating too much sun- I love the cloudy climate and all the green here. :bigsmile:

I figure I wouldn't have remembered the stone being so darn firey if the cut was bad. I'm just not sure if it has that cool checkerboard facet pattern we all covet, but maybe I need to let some of this nitpicking go. Do you think the price is outrageous?

I love the rain too having spent the majority of my life in California. I've had enough sun to last a lifetime. I'm pretty happy about the super mild summer and so happy that autumn is almost here.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I think the price is mid to a bit high retail- but, the J color is a bit harder to find, and the setting would be pricey new. Used, call it $1500-$3K, depending on where you found it. OWD's inventory- which you probably know inside and out at this point!- looks like they'd price the center around $9-$10Kish alone. So, yeah- I'd say the price is not bad at all. :tongue:

(Total night owl here!)

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
1.42 L SI1 62.1% 56% GIA X X N 7.18x7.22x4.47 N $5389

1.42 L SI1 62.1% 56% GIA Very Good X X N 7.18x7.22x4.47 N $5436

1.42 L SI1 62.1% 56% GIA X X N 7.18x7.22x4.47 N $5447

Above is the result of a search on Pricescope for L-SI1 modern cut diamonds. You can see the prices are from $5389 to $5447. You can't buy a vintage mounting or a new one such as the one in the photo for less than a thousand bucks, so likely you'll be just fine. It will be far more unqiue than most engagement rings and that counts, too.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Well, I just asked Neil to send back both the ring and the stone. I might change my mind about the stone, but I don't want the pressure of the return period weighing on me as I look around. If it sells, I'm sure Adam can pick out another one for me. And I really would much rather buy an intact antique ring. My old ring is very tempting, but the price is a deterrent for sure. I might still do it, but the guilt of spending that extra 2k is weighing heavily on me. And I'm afraid the stone isn't as good as I remember it.

Off to look through Gypsy's and Mrs W's awesome links to see if anything grabs my fancy as much as my old ring!

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
kennedy|1316453133|3020728 said:
Well, I just asked Neil to send back both the ring and the stone. I might change my mind about the stone, but I don't want the pressure of the return period weighing on me as I look around. If it sells, I'm sure Adam can pick out another one for me. And I really would much rather buy an intact antique ring. My old ring is very tempting, but the price is a deterrent for sure. I might still do it, but the guilt of spending that extra 2k is weighing heavily on me. And I'm afraid the stone isn't as good as I remember it.

Off to look through Gypsy's and Mrs W's awesome links to see if anything grabs my fancy as much as my old ring!

Funny that you came back just when I came and checked on this thread. I may not be making things easier for you but.. I did find more for you to look at... I know, I am being super BAD!!! lol have fun

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-PLATINUM-2-10-CT-DIAMOND-Engagement-RING-L-M-VS-/390214015618?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ada915a82 <maybe they will accept your offer?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-PLATINUM-1-5-CT-DIAMOND-SOLITAIRE-BAND-RING-/390095648640?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad3833780

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-42CT-DIAMOND-VINTAGE-ENGAGEMENT-RING-PLATINUM-ANTIQUE-/400242625363?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_with_Accents&hash=item5d3051cb53

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Estate-Platinum-1-22CT-Center-Diamond-Ring-/370543908497?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5646235691

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-GIA-1-8ct-Diamond-Platinum-Deco-Engagement-Ring-/360393667930?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e922f55a <Is this one a transitional cut???

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Wow, Mrs W! You are awesome at finding great listings! Thank you!!

I really love the first one! What do you guys think of this picture? And what's a reasonable offer I wonder?? Price is $9875 for a 2.10 ct L,M,N VS. She's already declined 7 offers over the course of a year. Looks like she first listed it in June 2010.

!Bwqwn4wBGk~$(KGrHqYOKiIEwR!2fMdSBMKDewzMvg~~_3.JPG

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like it could be promising - I like the large culet. I wish the photos were in natural light and with no flash though. It looks a bit dead. Too hard to rule it out or in from that photos for me!

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
You know what -- I'm just not cut out for Ebay. I emailed the seller of that ring to ask if she would ship to an independent appraiser and she said yes as long as I pay with bank wire transfer. I'm just not willing to send that kind of cash to someone on Ebay and I'm certainly not willing to buy it without an appraisal. So....I think I should stick to established businesses with good return policies. Yes, I will pay more, but it will preserve what's left of my sanity.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
kennedy|1316458366|3020809 said:
You know what -- I'm just not cut out for Ebay. I emailed the seller of that ring to ask if she would ship to an independent appraiser and she said yes as long as I pay with bank wire transfer. I'm just not willing to send that kind of cash to someone on Ebay and I'm certainly not willing to buy it without an appraisal. So....I think I should stick to established businesses with good return policies. Yes, I will pay more, but it will preserve what's left of my sanity.

I think this is a giid move, especially being in Canada where the returns are an issue.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone here suggested ruby lane. Does anything there appeal to you?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Canadian shop: http://www.rubylane.com/shop/divinefind

How much of a rush are you in to find something?

Honestly, it took me about 18 months to find my perfect OEC earrings and match. And I was looking for much smaller stones at .33 each. It may just be a waiting game until the perfect thing grabs you!

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
Dang Mrs W, you are good! :wacko:

LGK

Ideal_Rock
kennedy|1316456760|3020785 said:

I really love the first one! What do you guys think of this picture? And what's a reasonable offer I wonder?? Price is $9875 for a 2.10 ct L,M,N VS. She's already declined 7 offers over the course of a year. Looks like she first listed it in June 2010.
It's real hard to tell much about the cut from the flash pic, other than it has chunk faceting, small table, and largish culet.

I think it's probably a good call to stick to established vendors; I know old cuts have been more popular lately and it makes me wonder if that isn't bringing out more undesirable stuff and undesirable sellers, if you know what I mean- greed tends to bring out the ugly aspect of human nature unfortunately. If you aren't in a huge hurry, you might email JbEG and let them know what you're looking for- and ask them to keep an eye out. It can't hurt!

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
LGK|1316489517|3021142 said:
kennedy|1316456760|3020785 said:

It's real hard to tell much about the cut from the flash pic, other than it has chunk faceting, small table, and largish culet.

I think it's probably a good call to stick to established vendors; I know old cuts have been more popular lately and it makes me wonder if that isn't bringing out more undesirable stuff and undesirable sellers, if you know what I mean- greed tends to bring out the ugly aspect of human nature unfortunately. If you aren't in a huge hurry, you might email JbEG and let them know what you're looking for- and ask them to keep an eye out. It can't hurt!

Great minds think alike -- I just emailed Grace to see if she has anything hiding that might work for me. I also asked the seller of my old ring for a head on shot of the diamond just so I can make sure it's as well cut as I remember. I am definitely done with Ebay. There were a couple of rings I liked from one particular vendor on Ruby Lane, but they have a 10% restocking fee!! So, I'm either going to buy back my old ring or wait until something else comes along. And until I get my money back from the Ebay seller, I'm going to be holding my breath just a little bit.

Thanks to everyone who provided awesome links! You guys are way better searchers than I am!

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm, saw this tonight from a reputable dealer. Thoughts?

Description:

Center old european cut diamond measures 1.01 carats,J color and VS2 clarity. Set low in a unique platinum ring with ten round diamonds and unique swirl shapes which start at the base and continue to form prongs. This beautiful and one of a kind ring is an original vintage antique engagement ring from the 1920's. Retains original maker's hallmark WALTON. $7350.

R305-01d.jpg

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
A few more...

R305-01h.jpg

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Last one...

R305-01i.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the setting! Know nothing about those diamonds so no help from me, but it sure is nice!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
The patterning looks *amazing*- hard to tell performance but the center isn't dark in the one pic they show, and that snowflakey pattern is soooo pretty- basically it's got my favorite type of OEC patterning. But- is it big enough? Are you suuuuuure? :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: The one you let go is another half carat again bigger and I like it's setting better- and it's more expensive but a LOT larger. Still- lovely, lovely faceting on this one! I don't love that setting though, the shape is great but it isn't quite ornate enough for my personal taste, I guess.

Is it certed? I guess I tend to be skeptical of claims of J color in particular- that's where many people's minds cut off "acceptable", so I sometimes suspect vendors are inclined to call things J (which aren't) more often than, like, calling an N color an M, for example. That's just my skeptical brain at work though! It does look quite white, but it is shown in flattering lighting for color I think.

Spending, what, $1700 more for a 1.55 ct in a prettier (IMO) setting, I'd kind of lean towards that I think.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D|1316499603|3021193 said:
Love the setting! Know nothing about those diamonds so no help from me, but it sure is nice!

I wasn't sure about the setting at first, but it's growing on me.

By the way, I saw in your other thread that you also have a 3 month old (well, mine isn't 3 months quite yet...11 weeks tomorrow). Getting any sleep? Mine is sleeping next to me right now which is what I should be doing!

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
LGK|1316499959|3021196 said:
The patterning looks *amazing*- hard to tell performance but the center isn't dark in the one pic they show, and that snowflakey pattern is soooo pretty- basically it's got my favorite type of OEC patterning. But- is it big enough? Are you suuuuuure? :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: The one you let go is another half carat again bigger and I like it's setting better- and it's more expensive but a LOT larger. Still- lovely, lovely faceting on this one! I don't love that setting though, the shape is great but it isn't quite ornate enough for my personal taste, I guess.

Is it certed? I guess I tend to be skeptical of claims of J color in particular- that's where many people's minds cut off "acceptable", so I sometimes suspect vendors are inclined to call things J (which aren't) more often than, like, calling an N color an M, for example. That's just my skeptical brain at work though! It does look quite white, but it is shown in flattering lighting for color I think.

Spending, what, $1700 more for a 1.55 ct in a prettier (IMO) setting, I'd kind of lean towards that I think.

Are you inside my brain? My thoughts exactly -- I love the snowflake pattern in the stone! I would really love the setting if there were some pierced (is that the right term) sections next to the swirls, but I do still think it's pretty.

As far as whether it's big enough, I really don't know. Probably not....sadly. I do think that the mounting surrounding it will make it look larger (right?), but whether the stone will be large enough, I'm not sure. I do see what you're saying about getting a much larger and prettier setting for $1700 more.....but 7k was supposed to be my MAX. And I already feel guilty about spending that (and Dreamer's thread about being responsible didn't help much :)). I'm hoping to get a head on shot of the stone in "my" ring. And I think I might skip the appraiser step this time around now that I'm buying from reputable sellers.

Here's one more I like, but I'm not sure about the stone -- center might be dark? The setting is interesting, though. I'm a sucker for baguettes.

Art deco engagement ring. Set with an Old European cut diamond weighing 1.44 cts and assessed by the UGL appraisal service as N color and VS2 clarity,This striking ring has marquise and round diamonds in the shoulders (total weight .24 cts). A vintage stunner from the 1930s. Platinum. $8650.

R302-17d.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the setting of this one. But the patterning of the last.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1316503114|3021213 said:
I like the setting of this one. But the patterning of the last.
Big ditto! I love the way this one's setting looks at a distance especially, on the hand shot pic.

Yep, the setting on the prior one will make the stone look larger. It's the same general shape as my Nikki-acquired setting, and it does add to the visual size of my stone IMO.

Haha, yeah- I think you and I think somewhat alike! (And apparently are night owls :tongue: )

I would say of the two, the one prior is more likely to have a killer cut. Unless the angles are wonky, the patterning looks luscious. This one looks like it might have a darkish center effect going on.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
kennedy|1316500362|3021197 said:
Dreamer_D|1316499603|3021193 said:

I wasn't sure about the setting at first, but it's growing on me.

By the way, I saw in your other thread that you also have a 3 month old (well, mine isn't 3 months quite yet...11 weeks tomorrow). Getting any sleep? Mine is sleeping next to me right now which is what I should be doing!

But if you sleep when baby sleeps then you have no life! I think our older ones are the same age too, about 2.5?

My 3 mo is sleeping well for naps finally. He would not sleep at first unless on my chest or snugged up next to me in bed, then he slept on his stomach, and now he sleeps swaddled on his back. I think he read the safe sleep guidlines and decided to toe the line 8) I slowly started putting him down while still awake but drowsy and he finally started putting himself to sleep. He is napping right now! But it is touch and go, some days he opts to throw a curve ball. At night he still sleeps in bed with me for some of the night. On the whole though much easier than the first go around.

The toddler is the one causing more pain ;)) He is jealous and fiesty. Thank goodness for daycare!

As to rings ::) I really like the setting of the second to last you posted, much more my style, and the diamond looks smashing as LGK said. The last one you posted the setting is not floating my boat, and can't tell much from the picsof the diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results