shape
carat
color
clarity

Say Hello to my Not-So-Little Friend

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
... a 3.40 carat Old European Cut in a super extra extremely blingy custom setting. I know, I know- I need another pet rock like a hole in the head (or wallet). But sometimes you find a once in a lifetime deal, and this certainly was that. Yeah, I just got a beautiful 1.22 N colored OEC, and finally set it in my perfect, dream antique setting. The 1.22 ct was a gift from my husband to replace my lost wedding set and was given with much love. This was purchased simply because we have been looking for more antiques to invest some cash in, with it devaluing so fast- we’ve already got an insane amount of antiques of all sorts, so this is not so much a “forever gift” but more of a “wow, this is a screamingly good deal, it is likely to be able to resell for bare-minimum what we paid” so it might just be visiting my finger for a while. Kinda depends, you know? I’ll enjoy every second I spend with it, but frankly, I never conceived of owning such a large stone. (Um, quickly changing my mind on that though
9.gif
) Who knows, maybe I''ll convince him we should keep it rather than resell but that was the angle I worked to get it!

It was completely insane of me to get this. I got it off of, for god sakes, eBay. I did do research, pestered the seller, jewelswebuy, incessantly. They were super helpful, had lots of info on the stone, and had a great return policy- in fact, I have until next Wed to "decide" to keep it. Also they are actually a company that manufactures settings, and they have a real world storefront with phone # and stuff, which helped set me at ease. Still... I was sweating bullets until the package came! I was picturing an empty package, no ring in sight. I was SO GLAD it came safely! I was worked up into a fine frenzy
32.gif
by the time it arrived late afternoon, quite certain I’d done something Really Really Expensively Stupid. I just about kissed the FedEx girl in sheer relief, but restrained myself.

The seller listed the center stone was an uncerted M/Si1. Like most diamonds on eBay, its color and clarity wasn’t as described in the auction- however, it’s actually *better* than they described
23.gif
, which is impossibly unlikely! It is quite noticeably higher in color than my N 1.22 OEC; it could be an M, but considering the size difference and how larger stones show more color, I''m leaning towards thinking it''s L. Also, the clarity is not just eye clean but *loupe clean*. It has some minor polish issues- one small girdle chip and two light, parallel scratches on a pavilion main that mirror around in the stone... nothing unusual in an antique stone though, and I’m sure it would not result in much weight loss to fix. So I would say it’s definitely a VS something at least- no matter how I stare, there is not a single flaw besides the polish issues. I’m more used to lower clarities though, I admit, and with the lint I tend to get on rings, it’s tough to tell if it has any pin prick inclusions. I’m kinda tempted to get it repolished, to get rid of the scratches and nick, to show off the amazing clarity better- however, you can only see them through a loupe or a macro lens, so it''s no big deal.

The symmetry looks pretty darn good- it forms that flower/snowflake pattern that is the, y''know, “pre-arrow” thing.

So, it’s at bare minimum an M VS2, but I’d guess it’s most likely an L VS1. I definitely need to get it appraised!

The setting is totally crazy
6.gif
- it’s not just over the top, but down the other side and up the next hill! Someone decided a 3.40 carat diamond needed not just a halo, but two .31 ct (each) side stones also with halos. The thing doesn’t just cover my entire finger, it protrudes off to the sides by a good few millimeters. Then there’s yet another .68 ct in melee. Subtle, it is not. Trust me, I will not be offended if anyone says the "g-word" (gaudy). Surprisingly the center stone is so flashy it actually holds its own, despite the busy setting, somehow. I’m not a fan of round halos, or three-stone halos, I must admit. The workmanship on this one is so amazing, though, I’m almost converted.... The millegrain is microscopic like antique (yay!) and the two side stones match the center stone in color. Also it has a cool undergallery. And all the accent stone are very firey, even the halo ones and I do like me some sparkle... nevertheless I feel a bit like Mariah Carey with this sucker weighting down my finger, and I''m not thinking that''s a good thing!

Eventually, if I keep it long enough, I think I want it ultimately in a rosebud setting like the Daniel K, but with three sided micropave (cuz why have less when you can have more?) Much, MUCH later, though... for now, I think it will go into a pretty but cheap repro filigree setting that I happen to have that should fit it. I could wear it as is, but honestly I think I would enjoy it more set solitaire style; the halos have been growing on me but not THAT much! Also I *know* it is looking like it is fake, it is so big and showy (not helped my my age, young looking 31, or personal style, goth-y).

Oh, and it scored a 1.1 in the Firey Ideal Cut range on the HCA, which is cool- I think HCA works on OECs? The cut on this one is frigging amazing though, HCA 1.1 or no HCA 1.1. With a big stone like this the HUGE chunky fire flashes are beautiful and blinding, really it could damage retinas in the sun. (The sun came out for exactly five minutes today at 7PM- I raced outside with my camera like a crazy person, LOL.) Plus the cut makes it look miles deep. You just have to tip it the tiniest bit to get the Kozibe effect, since the table is pretty small- I love it! So many of the bigger size OECs seem to have wonky cuts (incredibly deep or shallow, or just plain really asymmetrical). I feel like I really lucked out with this baby.

The pure clarity is just beautiful, and for my taste the L(?) color is my sweet spot, my favorite; it is right on that edge where it hovers between warm/hint-o-yellow and steely when face up, with no brown at all.

Center Stone Measurements = 9.68 X 9.53 x 5.96mm

Depth Percent = 62.0%

Table Diameter Percentage = 53%

Pavilion Percentage - 42

Crown Percentage – 17

I’m usually not a price-sharer but I must add that I paid $10500 for it including the elaborate custom setting. I suspect the setting would have to be around $1500-$2000. Which is why I couldn’t pass it up. I suspect I could resell it for more than that. It came with a price tag from their B&M store of $51K on it, actually, undoubtedly one of those nutty overinflated prices though. For now, though, I’m going to stare at it some more. Wow, this thing is like a flashlight on my finger. And guess what? A 3.4 ct halo ring does a great job of making one’s fingers look smaller! (I’m a size 5.5, but the ring is a 6 with a fat shank).

I’ve got a few questions: One, should I reset it temporarily in a solitaire style or leave it as-is? Two, would a rosebud setting be as nifty with it as I’m thinking, or a bit distracting? And three, did I really get as good a deal as I am thinking I did? (My research shows yes, but I want reassurance I guess!)

Now: pic overload, anyone?

First pic shows the flower/snowflake pattern well.

3.4oec3ed.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
The lighting in this one makes the setting look like a Leon pic (not that the setting is in his league at all, though!)

3.4oec12ed.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Hand shot, note glowingly white skin thanks to the Pacific Northwest winters, and also please ignore heinous tattoo, I blame my prozac-crazed 17 year old self entirely. (Note: do not take Prozac if every gene you have predisposes you to bipolar disorder, or you too will end up with ugly finger tats.)

3.4oec18ed.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
The sun came out for five minutes today.

3.4oecsun1.jpg

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
j***stapdancingch***t! Need a pet rock sitter? OMG, how exquisite!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
It wasn''t hard to get pics of fire flashes, at all.

3.4oecsun2.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Another sunny picture.

Haha, thanks Ninama!

3.4oecsun13.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Another fire flash...

3.4oecsun3.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Redundant yet???

3.4oecsun14.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
The undergallery- the little wavy pierced detail is kinda neat, beneath it there are the usual cleaning holes.

3.4oec2ed.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! That''s a pet rock all right. It''s gorgeous.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Oh! I mean *for reals*, LGK. Like.... if you really need it like a hole in the head... well - I wouldn''t want you to have to endure that. I swear - I''ll take super-good care of it. Honest!

It''s soooooo beautiful!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
My 1.22 OEC is not jealous. It knows it is still loved, so it snuggles with it''s big sister.

Thanks SDL
5.gif

twooecs1ed.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Ninama, that is a beautiful selfless offer
9.gif
If I get carpal tunnel from lifting it, I will send it to you ASAP!

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
(323) OEC-LOVE. Call me..... anytime.
2.gif

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
HOLY CRAP THATS ONE GIANT GORGOUS RING!!!!!!!! IM SERIOUSLY DROOLING HERE!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
18.gif
30.gif
30.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it looks like to me you got a terrific deal! But you are going to get an appraisal before the return period is over, I hope? I imagine the SI1 is due to the girdle chip and other things you mentioned. I''d be very tempted to get the stone polished and repaired if you should decide to reset it. I really think I need one of those!!!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
*snicker* Ninama, just for that, I am inflicting another picture upon you. Then I am going to tear myself away from the laptop and go dye my hair, my roots are OUT OF CONTROL.

(This pic shows the two scratches well- the real ones are just to the right of the culet, but they mirror everywhere... )

Yep, I shall get it appraised Monday. The pricescope appraiser search tool is very usefu! I do think it is worth repolishing, it is no big deal if it loses a few tenths of a ct, at the weight it is. Though the wear isn't eye visible, at least.

Thanks ladies!

3.4oec5ed.jpg

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Greatgoshalmighty.... I can see myself in it.
23.gif
My roots need a touch-up, too!

Shaninj4

Rough_Rock
Hehe Little greykitten, I was oogling that on ebay for a couple of days...

Congrats! :

In any case a good buy!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Hi! Congrats! It's amazing! I'd leave it as it is.

Can you tell us what the metal is? Thanks!

Edit: Never mind- I saw the stamp.
17.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Hahah, love the ring AND the thread title! Just gorgeous!
36.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW!! It''s a beauty. It''s so big!

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
OMG. I think I''m in love...

Amazing. :)

x x x

MMMD

Shiny_Rock
Love that fire!! Gorgeous ring.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Great balls of chunky chunky fire! That is incredible!

Dani511

Shiny_Rock
That is gorgeous!!
30.gif
30.gif

I love the center diamond AND the setting. I don''t think the setting is over-the-top or gaudy at all. It really looks beautiful the way it is! But then again, I may be biased, since I love halos and lots of sparkle
2.gif
I think that if it is not quite your style, however, then you should reset.
1.gif
A diamond like that would certainly be beautiful in ANY setting it lives in.
9.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
HOLY GIANT DIAMOND! WOW! That thing is ginormous and beautiful! And what a steal! (In my non expert opinion at least!)

Is the setting antique? If it is, I might keep it in the existing setting, especially if you really might sell it in the future. If not, I don''t see why you shouldn''t change it to something a little more wearable. I actually don''t think it looks insane on you, but maybe my judgment is skewed by all the big diamonds around here!
3.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
So so so beautiful.... gorgeous.. I''m speechless..

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
beautiful, very nice! I love OEC & OMC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results