shape
carat
color
clarity

AJ''s ering "downgrade"...to a GOG OMC !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 10:47:20 PM
Author: ecf8503
Hi AJ!!!!!!!!!!!

I keep coming back to look at this, as I am obsessed with it. :)

I have a question for you though - back on the page where you did the RB vs cushion hand shots, do I see the 12 and 6 o''clock facets on the cushion? Are they ''dark'' at all in real life (i.e. any windowing as you''d see in some colored stones)? Just really curious! Thank you -

Hi ecf,
what you''re seeing there is the Maltese Cross effect, which is evident in most old
OMC''s and Jon has maintained in these designs. (I won''t attempt to explain it, but if you search here you''ll find plenty of info on it).
1.gif

I''ve gone up and grabbed my ring so I can look at it while I answer your question -
firstly, there is definately no type of windowing effect at all.
and the cross is really more evident in photos, because it''s a static image..whilst in real life, when wearing the diamond, those facets are the ones that "switch on and off" in chunky contrast.

I''m not sure if I''m explaining this well, sorry! But basically the answer is yes - when viewing IRL, sometimes one of the facets in the cross will become dark for a split second (off), but then it catches the light and flashes back at you (on). Does that make sense?
When it''s dark, it''s not black though - it''ll be like a deep blue, purple or grey. Just a deeper shade of the other pastels in the lighter facets, kwim?
I guess you could call it the equivalent of when you see "dark" arrows in an ideal cut..? It basically creates/adds to the blocky contrast.

If it''s any help, when I used to look at photos of OMC''s online, I always thought I didn''t like the Maltese Cross and wouldn''t want one.
However, now that I''ve seen how they actually act in real life wear, I understand why folks love them.

My apologies for the clumsy response, I hope it answered your question!

5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 12:00:05 AM
Author: shimmer
Sorry to threadjack, I just haven't made a thread on it yet! It's the L VS1 1.09, an upgrade of my ering.

It will be in the 18K wg legato setting (I swear I'm not copying... I already had it sitting around empty, lol!) but with a standard 4 prong head as the legato head didn't work
7.gif
I'm sad about 'breaking up' the setting, but GOG assures me it will be beautiful, and they'll try to do split prongs if they can!

Here's the linky http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6026

You're not jacking at all Shimmer, I want to know!

That's so cool, that diamond is literally my one's sister - (that was actually my "back up" diamond incase something didn't work out with my one.)
I'm so glad it's going to a great home, congratulations!
36.gif

Don't be silly, I wouldn't care at all even if someone "copies" - I know you have awesome taste and admire your pieces alot, so I'm stoked we will be like ring sisters
5.gif

That is a shame about the Legato head..is that because the previous diamond had just too different dimensions to the OMC?
It sounds like you'll have a gorgeous upgrade, and I'm glad to have been of some assistance!
35.gif

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you for being so gracious! You are a lovely lady, AJ.

My previous ering stone was smaller than this one (a 6mm round) and the setter said the notches were too low in the prongs for it to be set safely.

I hope to post pics soon, although I''m not sure how long it takes to get the new head in.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
I went to see the GOG site on this stone and most of them are gone. Hope those ppl who buy them will post pics here too.
36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 12:59:39 AM
Author: joelly
I went to see the GOG site on this stone and most of them are gone. Hope those ppl who buy them will post pics here too.
36.gif

Wow! You''re right Joelly - it looks like at least another 3 or 4 OMC diamonds have sold
in the last couple weeks...

I hope if they are PS''ers (or lurkers) buying they do come out of the woodwork and post
too!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 12:36:32 AM
Author: shimmer
Thank you for being so gracious! You are a lovely lady, AJ.

My previous ering stone was smaller than this one (a 6mm round) and the setter said the notches were too low in the prongs for it to be set safely.

I hope to post pics soon, although I''m not sure how long it takes to get the new head in.

Not at all Shimmer, I''m excited for you.
I see about the setting - I was pleasantly surprised when mine fit easily with no
dramas, but I guess perhaps it is easier to go from larger to smaller like in my case..

I hope your ring is finished soon, I''ll look forward to the pics
1.gif

sillysweetie

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/18/2009 11:50:24 PM
Author: arjunajane

Yup, coloured stones are a whole different monster than diamonds - and can be just as addictive!

I''m pretty sure purple sapphs are quite expensive (although I guess most folks have

a different definition of expensive).

My favourite way to buy any CS is straight from the faceter, such as Gene at Precision Gem or Barry at ACS stones.

You can get lots of variety in pink gems - both in species and different shades. Have you seen my purple/pink Umbalite garnet ring?

(just incase, here''s the link to the thread with, of course, lots of pics - lol

garnet JM ring)

Of course I''ve seen your beautiful garnet JM ring! I ADORE it!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

(Sorry that I haven''t posted in your original thread....)

If I were to get a CS, I would definitely go with that JM setting.
9.gif

So, end of threadjack. Please keep posting your OMC.
18.gif

sillysweetie

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 5:09:32 AM
Date: 7/19/2009 12:59:39 AM

36.gif

Wow! You''re right Joelly - it looks like at least another 3 or 4 OMC diamonds have sold

in the last couple weeks...

I hope if they are PS''ers (or lurkers) buying they do come out of the woodwork and post

too!

There were just 2 left a couple of days ago and a new one 0.63ct G VS1 came up yesterday.

I hope people who got those beauties would post on PS.
5.gif

BTW, when will the 2nd(?) batch be back? Anyone knows?
3.gif

mariel

Shiny_Rock
YUMMY is all I can say. Thank you for sharing the photos :)

torontogal

Rough_Rock

This is definitely no downgrade! When I saw your first picture, I was going, "What the ......? This can''t be a diamond?!". This stone is beyond gorgeous. I''m so glad your story has such a great heartwarming ending. A beautiful gem with substance and meaning behind it, what a wonderful combo!

All the best to you and your hubby!

2.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 9:56:43 AM
Author: sillysweetie
Date: 7/18/2009 11:50:24 PM

Yup, coloured stones are a whole different monster than diamonds - and can be just as addictive!

I''m pretty sure purple sapphs are quite expensive (although I guess most folks have

a different definition of expensive).

My favourite way to buy any CS is straight from the faceter, such as Gene at Precision Gem or Barry at ACS stones.

You can get lots of variety in pink gems - both in species and different shades. Have you seen my purple/pink Umbalite garnet ring?

(just incase, here''s the link to the thread with, of course, lots of pics - lol

garnet JM ring)

Of course I''ve seen your beautiful garnet JM ring! I ADORE it!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

(Sorry that I haven''t posted in your original thread....)

If I were to get a CS, I would definitely go with that JM setting.
9.gif

So, end of threadjack. Please keep posting your OMC.
18.gif

Thanks SS!

I''m glad you like it. It''s a great stone as it''s always showing a different shade
of red/pink/purple.

I believe Jon is away atm, but I''ve read about 2 to 6 weeks for the new OMC''s?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2009 12:51:39 AM
Author: mariel
YUMMY is all I can say. Thank you for sharing the photos :)

Thankyou Mariel, my pleasure.
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2009 1:27:06 AM
Author: torontogal

This is definitely no downgrade! When I saw your first picture, I was going, ''What the ......? This can''t be a diamond?!''. This stone is beyond gorgeous. I''m so glad your story has such a great heartwarming ending. A beautiful gem with substance and meaning behind it, what a wonderful combo!

All the best to you and your hubby!

2.gif

Hi torontogal,
what lovely compliments, thankyou kindly!
35.gif

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
AJ...you are making serious PS history with your GORGEOUS "downgrade"!!! You are easily rivaling boston_jeff as one of most beautiful cushions I''ve ever seen.

Congrats!!!! Soooooooooo BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2009 2:44:40 AM
Author: Rock_of_Love
AJ...you are making serious PS history with your GORGEOUS ''downgrade''!!! You are easily rivaling boston_jeff as one of most beautiful cushions I''ve ever seen.

Congrats!!!! Soooooooooo BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

oh wow, rock that''s a big call!
Thankyou for the kind words.

I agree it may be PS history as the first actual "downgrade", lol...and perhaps one
of the threads inciting so many "I must have one of those!"
5.gif

I''m very grateful for how things turned out, and how well it''s gone over on here, and
I look forward to seeing many more of these beauties around PS in the future
30.gif

Cushionluvr

Rough_Rock
WOW!! Your ring is just beautiful! That diamond is amazing. I''ve been "hanging" around here, but finally decided to post when I saw your story and the ring. I''m so happy for you that this worked out the way it did! I''ve been looking at all types of cushions for an upgrade early next year, and hope to be able to buy one of these beauties because now I keep coming back to drool over your diamond.
30.gif

All the best to you and your hubby...and thank you for sharing!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2009 11:55:58 PM
Author: Cushionluvr
WOW!! Your ring is just beautiful! That diamond is amazing. I''ve been ''hanging'' around here, but finally decided to post when I saw your story and the ring. I''m so happy for you that this worked out the way it did! I''ve been looking at all types of cushions for an upgrade early next year, and hope to be able to buy one of these beauties because now I keep coming back to drool over your diamond.
30.gif

All the best to you and your hubby...and thank you for sharing!

Hi cushionluvr,
my apologies I didn''t see this sooner!
Thankyou very much for your lovely comments, I''m glad you decided to start posting, and pls keep us updated on your cushion search
5.gif
35.gif

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Hi AJ,

GOG has posts some more stones on their website. I love the 1.52ct one. But they are all just lovely!!!

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
Its just gorgeous! Its just too bad that these weren''t around when we bought my cushion from Jon!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2009 11:30:30 PM
Hi AJ,

GOG has posts some more stones on their website. I love the 1.52ct one. But they are all just lovely!!!

Wow, thanks for the heads-up Joelly - they certainly are all lovely, it looks as if he has really perfected the design. I notice all in this batch are square and no rectangular, I guess that''s what the demand is for..

I agree the photo of the 1.52 looks great. If I were still in the market I''d love
the 1.27 L.

As much as I love mine, I imagine I will upgrade again when things are going well, def. to a more square one (and bigger one!lol).

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2009 12:03:55 AM
Author: Amandine
Its just gorgeous! Its just too bad that these weren''t around when we bought my cushion from Jon!

Thanks Amandine!
That''s great news though that you bought from Jon,
there''s always the upgrade policy right..?
31.gif
5.gif

Do you have a thread for your cushion?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
It''s such a beautiful ring, Arjunajane -- I''m so glad this worked out for you!

The colors in your stone are so pretty -- gotta love those M''s!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I was at the beach for the first several pages of this thread, and I''ve been in and out of town since then! So I am REALLY late saying how much I adore this diamond!
30.gif
Jon really is wonderful...I am so glad things worked out so well for you!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2009 1:15:40 PM
Author: sarap333
It''s such a beautiful ring, Arjunajane -- I''m so glad this worked out for you!

The colors in your stone are so pretty -- gotta love those M''s!!!

Thankyou Sara!
Yes, I love your new M -I can see in your photos the same kinda
thing I see in mine, always reflecting all these wonderful colours.

Cheers hon.
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2009 10:55:36 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Well, I was at the beach for the first several pages of this thread, and I''ve been in and out of town since then! So I am REALLY late saying how much I adore this diamond!
30.gif
Jon really is wonderful...I am so glad things worked out so well for you!

Hi DS..ha ha yes you are rather late, lol..
Just kidding, I''m glad the thread was re-hashed and you
posted, thankyou for your compliment.

Yes, Jon was a huge help and I will never forget his kindness.
Turns out this diamond may have also bought good luck with it as I now have
an exciting new career less than a month after the downgrade
5.gif

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Hey AJ, your thread must be the longest downgrade thread ever! Congrats again on a new pretty ring...

trishy

Shiny_Rock
agh! i am head over heels!! i am beyond words. i only got to the second page of pictures and was at good old gold''s website. i have to have one. this is such a dreamy stone. im absolutely awe struck!! i am now on a mission!! thank you for showing me the light!!... or rather, blinding me with your chunky fire shots!! they have scalded through my retina, and have forever burned in my memory the ABSOLUTE GORGEOUSNESS of this bling.

i know... im going on and on. i cant help it. i just LOVE THIS... its all about the old mine cushion for me now.

thank you!! [for sharing] i am in love now. this is my new fantasy diamond. YES!! its all so clear now. i was so wishy washy before.. no more..
thats how beautiful this is. you lucky lucky girl
36.gif

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
hey there sweetie
35.gif

I have been in an out of your thread - wow!!! It''s a long one hehe :) But after reviewing your pictures and kind words to everyone that have been posting on your lovelies, I starting to gaze and I have ring envy! :)

you know, your ring/diamond is the reason why that bigger isn''t always better. That sometimes, a little thing catches your eyes and that you never want to be away from it. That even if its "only a diamond", it has its own personnality and you are happy to be sharing your life with it... It becomes your silent companion...

your ring is truly gorgeous and I adore your w-ring with it. Your set is lovely in every possible way, romantic and very feminine...

Congrats on your beautiful diamond. May you enjoy it for many decades to come! :)

MatchMadeInCarbon

Rough_Rock
What can I say that hasn''t already been said about the ring (& this huge thread)?

It makes me so happy that Jon & GOG came through for you in the way they did. It''s stories like these that really help other consumers have faith in dealing with large, long distance transactions.

I''m hoping to add my own story in a few months too!

(btw, Jon''s added some new videos of his newly named cushions)

Cheers
21.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thankyou everyone for your new posts - my apologies I haven''t been
around much to reply, but I''m really happy folks are still finding the thread
and enjoying the pics and story.

ha ha, thanks Cindy - I didn''t even know there were other downgrade threads, lol
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results