shape
carat
color
clarity

Affordable ring for my girl...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
Hi again ...

You are so sweet in your quest for the perfect ring within budget for your girl ... she''s very lucky to have you!

Without intending to "muddy the waters", I thought I''d bring the following seemingly great values to your attention ... the settings are not ''tulip-head'', but they''re all beautiful and dainty ... and one of them might appeal to you or your girl as "the ring of your dreams"

Even though the first two are EBay listings, they''re both from Firenze Jewels, which is a wonderful store in the NYC Diamond District (www.firenzejewels.com) . I''ve dealt with Firenze on 2 separate occassions so from experience I know they sell quality jewelry ... Their salespeople tell me that they list certain items on EBay just to keep their inventory moving, ''cause they get new styles and pieces in all the time. Their EBay listings represent really great values.

The first is a completed e-ring (including the center stone)that looks like a flower (not a tulip, but anyway), with an emerald cut center stone (total carat weight: .89ct). It appears to be both distinctive and elegant, in addition to a seemingly great value:

http://cgi.ebay.com/89CT-DIAMOND-18K-WHITE-GOLD-ENGAGMENT-RING-buySAFE_W0QQitemZ8911446033QQcategoryZ92914QQcmdZViewItem

The next is a dainty and elegant setting that has NOTHING to do with flowers, but still appears to be beautiful and a great value to complement the .42 ct. WhiteFlash stone you are considering:

http://cgi.ebay.com/36CT-ANTIQUE-STYLE-DIAMOND-18KW-GOLD-ENGAGEMENT-RING_W0QQitemZ5021334906QQcategoryZ67726QQcmdZViewItem

You may have already seen the last one ... it''s listed on the Pearlmans Jewelers cite, and it looks like a gorgeous setting for the money ... it''s definitely within your price range and it might be the perfect complement to the stone you are considering, even though it has nothing to do with tulips or flowers (just diamonds, diamonds, diamonds)!

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/previously-owned-jewelry/rings/036PO1/0/a-14kt-white-gold-diamond-e-ring-by-gottlieb-and-son.-the-mounting-is-set-with-approx-.50ct-of-full-/

I believe any or all of these can easily be resized to fit your GF. I really hope these help get you thinking "outside of the box" ... and I look forward to someday reading the happy ending to your story!

BrownEyes
4.gif

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I would be REALLY careful about getting "good deals" on ebay, especially with a diamond
20.gif
To quote someone here on PS - A deal is only a deal if it is exactly what you want.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Argh ~

I just wanted to let you know that I too was interested in the ring setting at pearlmans for $400.00. I emailed them and asked them to send me additional views of that particular setting.

I personally passed it up because from the side views the diamonds looked as if they were set crooked on some, and others were set to low. I know it is inexpensive, but I think in this instance ... you are getting what you pay for. I think you could use your hard earned money better on something else.

Take care, and please post a picture of WF''s rendering of the water lilly when you get it, I would like to see what it will look like.
35.gif

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Argh...No matter what you decide PLEASE don''t buy from EBAY!!! I would just do a search on here for all the ebay disasters and you''ll see why everyone recommends staying away from EBAY.

As for the cathedral...I just got a cathedral. If your girl wants something that isn''t set high then the cathedral is not for her. I didn''t realize it would be set this high...I do like it now however it did take me a few days to get used to. I think it really makes my diamond stand out and look alot bigger. It''s definitely a beautiful setting but if she''s wanting something lower she''ll not be happy when she gets the cathedral...my 2c ofcourse!

Good luck Argh! Free shipping and no taxes really does help out in the long run
2.gif
I think you won''t be disappointed with the WF diamond...it really looks awesome
1.gif

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Hi Argh. So the new setting that I have been loving and hoping my BF will get for me (
2.gif
) has a head that is called the Stuller Solstice (I think). I''ve seen it on a few rings here on PS, and they''re all from WF. So it seems that WF does have Stuller heads! And I think this Solstice looks very "tulipy" as well. So maybe it would be another option for you. Go to THIS page and you''ll see a collage of Mara''s, Matadora''s, and Gonzodogg''s rings with this head.

I''ve asked WF for a price quote of this head with a knife-edge band, but haven''t gotten it back yet. I think I''ll get it tomorrow (fingers crossed!).

Also look at this thread for more pics.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/stuller-solstice-differences.34103/

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
This photo is from that last link I posted. It looks like a nice low setting.

1562062201.jpg

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
With all due respect to those above who posted warnings about buying from EBay, and to hopefully put Argh at ease, I just want to clarify that Firenze Jewelers (the Seller of both pieces I suggested) is NOT just an EBay Seller.

Firenze is a reputable jeweler that sells only high-quality and designer jewelry, and they have a long-standing physical presence in the NYC diamond district AND a viable website: (www.FirenzeJewels.com).

Speaking for myself, I''ve now purchased my Natalie K platinum setting and matching band from Firenze (via their website), and I have 2 other projects "in the works" with them. My Natalie K band should arrive this week. Firenze has been nothing other than helpful, honest and timely in all of their communications. I would not have recommended them on this Forum otherwise.

On various trips to NYC, I''ve stopped at the Firenze showroom on 47th Street ... I''ve now met the owner and both of the salespeople I''ve been dealing with by phone, and I''ve seen their inventory for myself ... believe me, I wouldn''t continue to buy from them if I wasn''t impressed with the quality of the jewelry and level of service which they offer ...

It was the owner of Firenze who told me first-hand that Firenze lists some of their regular inventory on EBay for 2 reasons: (1) to increase their exposure and (2) to keep their inventory "moving" since they have limited space in their showroom, and they get new styles and designs in all the time.

To my knowledge, EBay customers are offered the same level of service and return policy on in-stock items as Firenze would offer to someone buying from their showroom or website.

The e-ring and setting which I suggested to Argh from Firenze''s EBay listings are also available on the Firenze website (www.FirenzeJewels.com) at higher prices. I only suggested them because even though they deviate from the design Argh is describing, they are both beautiful and both seem to represent a great value, which is important given Argh''s limited budget and wonderful intentions ...

Of course, I can''t speak for Firenze Jewelers since I''m only a customer, but if Argh was interested but hesitant to proceed via EBay, I''m sure he could call them directly and attempt to negotiate the EBay price - - as I said, in my experience the people at Firenze are very nice, fair and honest, and they seem to take great pride in the products they sell.

To warn someone against not buying from this particular EBay seller would be like issuing a warning not to buy from SignedPieces because they also sell on EBay ... I doubt anyone on this Forum would make that statement since SignedPieces is also a respected e-vendor who comes highly recommended on this Forum.

Just my .02 cents, but I thought it was important to clarify, at least based on my own very recent personal experience.

BrownEyes
4.gif

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with Brown Eyes......Choochoo just purchased from Firenze....not thru their lisitng on Ebay, but the same company....I''ve been reading thru tons of threads here as well from others who bought from them....I would trust them......if you dont feel comfortable bidding on the ebay site, you cango right to their website and order thru them, or call. Ebay will save you a couple bucks though....the ring I was looking at was $50 cheaper if I got it thru Ebay.

The setting on Pearlmans is sold.....it was Pebbles'', and then another PSer just bought it a few days ago.....sorry, I cant remember your name right now....

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2006 9:03:55 AM
Author: BrownEyes
With all due respect to those above who posted warnings about buying from EBay, and to hopefully put Argh at ease, I just want to clarify that Firenze Jewelers (the Seller of both pieces I suggested) is NOT just an EBay Seller.

Firenze is a reputable jeweler that sells only high-quality and designer jewelry, and they have a long-standing physical presence in the NYC diamond district AND a viable website: (www.FirenzeJewels.com).

BrownEyes
4.gif

Thnaks Brown Eyes for sharing your personal experience with Firenze! There are a number of reputable vendors who have E-Bay stores - not just Firenze, but also Pearlman''s, Excel / Superbcert, Facets / Signed Pieces, just to name a few.

I am glad to hear you had a positive experience with Firenze and that you seem to be happy with the quality of their work and are satisfied with their costomer service for in-house shoppers. However, you also had the luxury of visiting their showroom in person to see and try on their pieces. I inquired about one of their settings once - a setting I still like very much. I asked if there was anyway to see the item before placing a special order in my size - for example, take advantage of their return policy buy buying a stock setting, then returning it to place an order for the same piece in the correct size if I liked it. They were... less than accommodating... with my desire to see something in person before committing to a non-returnable special order.

Would you still have purchased a non-returnable special order item from them if you never had the opportunity to see it in person?

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I am sorry I seem to have upset you BrownEyes, but I don''t think there is anything wrong with cautioning someone about making a very large purchase on ebay without much information. I still would suggest not purchasing the ring that has the emerald cut set in it, as it has VERY little information about the diamond and no certification. Those to me are huge red flags. Having someone in their store look at it and say it is an F VS2 is not the same as having AGS or GIA say that it is, especially because it is in their best interest to have a stone with higher color and clarity grades. So I do think people should be very careful with good deals on ebay as I said before, especially when his gf really wants a round in a tulip setting.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2006 9:58:46 AM
Author: indecisive
I am sorry I seem to have upset you BrownEyes, but I don''t think there is anything wrong with cautioning someone about making a very large purchase on ebay without much information. I still would suggest not purchasing the ring that has the emerald cut set in it, as it has VERY little information about the diamond and no certification. Those to me are huge red flags. Having someone in their store look at it and say it is an F VS2 is not the same as having AGS or GIA say that it is, especially because it is in their best interest to have a stone with higher color and clarity grades. So I do think people should be very careful with good deals on ebay as I said before, especially when his gf really wants a round in a tulip setting.
Very well said. He wants the very best he can get for his girl and getting caught up in EBAY with little to no info and limited to no return policies will only hurt him in the long run.
I''ve had a very bad EBAY experience with buying a toy so that being said I''d caution ANYONE against buying anything from there ESPECIALLY on a purchase of this calibur. If you lose a few hundred by making a poor choice that''s one thing but this is his girl''s engagement ring that he wants her to have forever...I''d hate to see him make a mistake thinking he was getting a good deal only to find out it wasn''t such a great diamond or what he was looking for after all. While I''m sure there are wonderful EBAY experiences out there, the majority of the threads here where people have purchased from EBAY have been disasters!

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Please remember, all, that I''m the one who''s nervous about purchasing AT ALL from any sort of online venue. I''ve never even put ANY personal information on the Internet. (Yeah, I''m like an old fogie, I guess.)

My girl spoke with WF today (and was so happy that Jamie "was super nice!" as she put it); they will get a price for the Niwaka-ish ring without the surprise stones (since neither of us have been able to find them as of yet on the pictures), and a price quote for the cathedral I posted last night in white gold instead of platinum.

She also went to the local store to "visit" the setting she likes from the stuller book. (It''s the thin cathedral that has the slight curve in the metal that swoops up in the cathedral.) She asked about the tulip head; they say it can be put in the setting, without any problems. They said the stuller tulip head comes with only one version, however. It''s the taller, more "stalky" type of tulip; she prefers the more "cuppy" low tulip on the Niwaka. So, she also asked Jamie to find out if they could make a head similar to the cuppy tulip of the Niwaka setting.

As for the cathedral sitting high.... she likes the height of the one she''s tried on through stuller. It''s very delicate and thin, and the fact that the metal comes up to touch the diamond makes her feel like it''s a bit safer (even though several on here have warned that it''s not a gaurentee, especially considering the fact that the cathedral element on this ring in particular is extremely thin). It does ''showcase'' the diamond very well.

So, for now, I''m waiting to see what the price would be on the Niwaka-ish setting without the surprise diamonds, and maybe I''ll see if they can make the band portion a bit thinner (first I need to know how wide it''d be originally, though). The stuller band that my girl likes now is not a whole 2mm, but when it interlocks with the wedding band, it''s 3mm total, or there abouts (according to the jeweler lady). I also want to know about whether or not WF would be able to place a "squatty" tulip head similar to the Niwaka head on the stuller band.

The more information I get, the more questions I have.

What I''m thinking is, if I can keep to my original price range, I will be able to ask her in April (that is, if I''m able to make a decision and get the ball rolling on making the thing). I guess I need to ask about how long the process is, too.

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
I''m all the time checking to see if the stone I like is still available from WF (it is), but today I saw another one that made me go, "hmm."

Take a look at this (I know, I know.. it''ll make my budget even tighter, but still, look anyway), please. Someone did a comparison between the .41 and the .42 that I like a lot; can you do it again, with it and this one?

0.468 Carat AGS Certified A Cut Above H&A Cut Diamond: F Color, SI2 Clarity

thanks!

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Is 192 dollars worth a difference in, what, five carat points?

And, if I were to get the .42, could she still call it a 1/2 carat? (This is HER question, not mine!)

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
If you post a link or the info from the page I can do a comparison. Need more information to compare cut. You should also call WF and ask them if it is eye clean.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Holloway Cut Adviser

Selected: 60.3% depth, 56.4% table, 34.9° crown angle, 40.8° pavilion angle
The result is for a symmetrical diamond with a medium girdle and very good polish
HCA scores were adjusted Dec. 15, 2001 and Feb. 6, 2003.

Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Excellent
Total Visual Performance 1.4 - Excellent
within TIC range

Looks like it will be beautiful if it is eye clean!! Rounds aren't my favorite but these WF diamonds are too gorgeous!!

ETA: you could also ask to get an idealscope picture taken. They are pretty quick about getting them
1.gif

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
How do you do a Halloway Cut Advisor?

I thank you much for helping me, but I''m wondering what it is, and what it does now...

And how does it compare to the .42 that I''ve been looking at for so long?

And, is 192 dollars more for .05 more carats worth it?

And, how close should one be to .50 before they can call their diamond 1/2 carat?

Oh, the .42''s link... I''ll post in one second!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I just like the pic of the .42 better. Maybe not the best deciding factor on choosing a diamond, but there it is. I''d go for that one!
5.gif

Good luck on the setting!
35.gif

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Indecisive,

Would they post the ideal scope image on the diamond''s page?

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Wren,

I''m glad you''re here!

I saw on another thread that you did a "face up" comparison. How do you figure that out?

Yeah, the picture of the .42 is awesome. My girl has it saved to her favorites!!

Wren, if you had a .42 diamond ring, would you call it 1/2 carat?

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I would say .42 is close cenough to say "1/2" carat. And it definitely will look atleast that since your GF''s fingers are tiny and she wants a thin band!

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, I just did a side by side comparison, and the picture of the .42 seems to show SO much more sparkle. Hmm...

And, it saves me 200 dollars. And I already know she LOVES it.

And, well, I would guess that maybe a .42 would look like a 1/2 carat on a size 3.75ish finger... Maybe. I hope.

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Sweet!

I wonder if WF will "hold" a stone while I try to make up my mind about a setting? This is the one I keep coming back to, and I''m sort of surprised that it''s still around. (I hope having said that, that it doesn''t disappear now!)

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Comparison.

.468wf.jpg

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I''d snatch that .42 up! That''s a beautiful diamond! If you are serious, call WF and see how much you have to put down to hold it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results