shape
carat
color
clarity

Affordable ring for my girl...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A faceted girdle means the cutter polished facets into the girdle. If it''s not faceted it may have a slightly granular appearance but does not influence the grade of the diamond.

Some cutters believe polishing the girdle may cause color to be reflected back inside. In near-colorless diamonds it''s not the concern that it is with slightly colored and below. You''ll often see unfaceted girdles in J or K and down and small goods, .25 and lower.

Interesting girdle thread, here.
John
www.whiteflash.com
mobile.whiteflash.com

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/difference-between-a-girdle-thats-faceted-or-not.32247/=

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Oh okay, so it''s sort of like it''s not finished on the girdle, then? Well, I definitely prefer the polished, or faceted or whatever takes away the chalky look on the sides.

That one thin band of white made it look fake, and it took away so much from the glitter of the diamond. Why would someone opt not to polish it? And, if one were to find a great diamond lacking that polish, could it be polished? Or faceted? Or is it one of those things that has to be done at a particular time?

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2006 6:28:47 PM
Author: JulieN
either the girdle was very thick or it was not faceted (which has no effect on performance)

How thick is too thick? If a diamonds cert says Medium- Slightly Thick, is this considered too thick?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
too thick: very thick, extremely thick. med-slightly thick is fine.

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been trying to search google, askjeeves, etc. to find information on whether or not a tulip setting can be lowered for the stone to sit closer to the band. Haven''t found anything, though.
7.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ask wf

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Haha... good idea, Julie.

My girl will LOVE having a new question to ask them about. :)

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Item Code: GIA-13836885
Price: $730.00
Report: GIA
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 0.41
Color: H
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 61.6
Table: 55
Crown Angle: 35
Crown %: 15.6
Pavilion Angle: 41.1
Pavilion %: 43.5
Girdle: Thin to Medium-Faceted
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 4.79-4.82X2.96

OR:

The .42 I like so much... posted several times throughout this thread)...

Which is better? While I would like to stay as close to 1/2 carat as I can, I also want the best I can get, you know?

And, also, has anyone here used WF to have them make something inspired by a designer? I''m wondering how close they''re allowed to come in creating something similar to the original design...

Thank you all for your help!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
for the .41

Holloway Cut Adviser

Selected: 61.6% depth, 55% table, 35° crown angle, 41.1° pavilion angle
The result is for a symmetrical diamond with a medium girdle and very good polish
HCA scores were adjusted Dec. 15, 2001 and Feb. 6, 2003.

Factor Grade
Light Return Very Good
Fire Very Good
Scintillation Good
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 2.8 - Very Good - Worth buying if the price is right

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
And for this .42 posted earlier
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-6639401

Holloway Cut Adviser

Selected: 61.7% depth, 55.6% table, 34.7° crown angle, 40.8° pavilion angle
The result is for a symmetrical diamond with a medium girdle and very good polish
HCA scores were adjusted Dec. 15, 2001 and Feb. 6, 2003.

Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.4 - Excellent
within TIC range

This one looks like the winner to me.

InLuvWithMrH

Shiny_Rock
And, also, has anyone here used WF to have them make something inspired by a designer?
I''ll let you know very soon how my e-ring turned out. I sent them pictures of what I liked...so far the wax looks like the ring will be even better than what I sent!!
30.gif

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, let me know iminlovewithmrh....

I''m still not sold on the WF version of the Water Lily... it seems steep to me, but I do think that stone (.42) is amazing.

We shall see.

One thing I''m thinking of doing is looking at the Stuller book at the shop in town, and seeing if I can find a cathedral setting that''s a bit similar to the Water Lily. (A guy can hope, no?)

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Have you thought about buying the stone and a simple Tiffany 4 prong setting for now, so you can propose and have the diamond that you want, and then you have time to find the setting?

The .42 from WF looks great
21.gif

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2006 4:35:24 PM
Author: february2003bride
Have you thought about buying the stone and a simple Tiffany 4 prong setting for now, so you can propose and have the diamond that you want, and then you have time to find the setting?

The .42 from WF looks great
21.gif

I second this. Or just go with the WF... it is not that much higher than the original budget (300 or so). If you buy the setting locally, you will have to add in tax. I don''t think you could get a custom setting for less than $500-600 but I could be wrong.

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
She and I were talking about precisely that this weekend. It about kills her to part each weekend, and although we both know we''ll be married soon, it makes sense to "get it done," too. I want what I get her to show that she means SO much to me, but then, I know she won''t ever doubt that, either.

I just wish the WF replica of the Water Lily wasn''t more than the stone we both like! Argh!
7.gif

We did see a cathedral at WF that is pretty nice, though. I''ll have to see if I can track it down again and post it...

(Funny you just posted Feb... I was just reading your thread myself...)

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
HEY.... I just saw this!! IF YOU BUY FROM WF THERE IS NO TAX TO ADD IN????

IS THIS TRUE?

HOT DIGGIDY DOG!

PLEASE, SAY IT''S SO!!

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
As far as I know, no,

from their website:

"Does Whiteflash collect sales tax?

If you pick up the ring at Whiteflash or if it is shipped to a location in Texas your purchase is subject to 8.25% sales tax."

So, as long as you are not in Texas, no! :) This was a big reason why we bought our ring in NY instead of locally... no sales tax!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Nope, as long as you aren''t in TX. My ring was $520 for the diamond and $125 for the setting, total came too $645.00 w/ free shipping.

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Oh YES!!

I can''t tell you guys how excited that makes me! I want to get the girl the setting she wants, and I was thinking it''d take forever, since the setting is so much more than I''d planned on. But, if you don''t add in shipping or taxes, that makes it SO much better!

And, thank goodness, I am NOT in Tx.

Whoo hoo!

The setting we''d looked at locally was inexpensive, 200, I believe. The stone was 830.... and then they''d add in tax... That''d make it close to 1400, about 25 dollars less.

Of course, that included the wedding band, but she now wants a band that doesn''t interlock, she thinks. (Have I mentioned she''s changed her mind 4000 times?)

hmm... This is something to think about, indeed. Especially if shipping is included, too.... Hmm, indeed!

9.gif

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
This is the setting we found this weekend at WF''s site. Does it look similar to the Water Lily to any of you (other than it doesn''t have a tulip head, and I don''t know if they can put one on it or not)? It''s 549, and is Platinum, which is a good bit less expensive than the WF version of the Water Lily for 795 (I still want to see pictures of that, by the way!).

Any suggestions, awesomely knowledgeable friends of mine?
41.gif

sleeklinesPLATINUM.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I say no to the WF four-prong. It is verrrrry thin, which I think looks beautiful on larger stones, but with a delicate stone such as yours, I think the whole package will look a little bit flimsy unless she has a very tiny finger. Niwaka rings are often curvy, so they can still be very delicate settings but command a bit more presence on the finger. I think your best bet is the curvy cathedral ring (on page 3 or something) with a tulipset head. It really shouldn''t be >$300 in white gold.

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Julie,

She wears a 3.75, a 3.5, or a 4, depending on who sizes her.

Let me try to find the "curvy" setting you''re talking about. 300 sounds FABULOUS to me!

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Julie,

I spoke with someone from WF and they said that setting (water lily) would be 795 in white gold. They said it has "surprise diamonds," which I do not see in the setting by Niwaka, so I''m not convinced they are talking about the same setting I am. I do think 795 is WAY too much for the setting, but I also prefer the softer look of it.

However, the difference between it and the cathedral posted above is not big enough to make me want to pay 200 plus more for the Niwaka-ish style. And, the one posted above is Plat, which she doesn''t want, so it seems like wasted money to get a setting in that, too...

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe you should try emailing WF a picture of the Niwaka so you know you are both talking about the same setting.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh, tiny fingers. well, the (sleek? fine?) would be ok. Love this one, though
sideviewofit.jpg

Ask if a tuliphead can be put into this.

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Haha...

That''s the one she fell in love with first.
9.gif

She doesn''t like the tuliphead that Stuller makes though... it''s much too high, and it''s less "cuppy" and more "tall" than the Niwaka head she likes.

I wonder if WF could find a head that''s more "cuppy?"

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Indecisive,

I sent an email to WF, with a picture, and they insist that it has surprise diamonds. I still didn''t see them, so I contacted Niwaka, and asked that they send a brochure... still, I don''t see any surprise diamonds.

I don''t know. I think my girl''s gonna call this week; she likes the setting very much, but not enough so much that she''d want me to pay that much for it.

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Well, upon looking at the stuller.com site a little more, it appears (but again, pictures are often deceiving online) like there are a couple of options in the tuliphead from Stuller, and maybe one is shorter, and more "cuppy."

What I wonder now is if WF sells Stullers, too. If they do, then it could all be done at one place, which seems like less work, and less room for goof ups.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Well, if you are doing the Niwaka setting custom anyway couldn''t you just ask them to take the surprise diamond out of the design to make it cheaper? Whatever you go with though I am sure it will be gorgeous. Especially the .42
30.gif

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
If we were to be able to get a lowerish type of tulip head, would it be required to have the matching band? I like the way the two fit together, as did my girl. That is, until she found the wedding band that has the scattered diamonds going around it, randomly almost. Now she likes that.

whoohooset.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results