shape
carat
color
clarity

Affordable ring for my girl...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tulips&daisies4me

Rough_Rock
Hi all.

I''m looking for a ring for my girl (she loves tulips and daisies, and the only thing I could think of to log in as was something that made me think of her), but I''m not in a position where I can spend a lot of money for her ring. Luckily, she''s not a girl who''s materialistic or into wearing flashy things. I do want to get her something nice, though.

I''m a little nervous to even post this, as I''ve been meandering over posts for a while here, and I fear some will call me cheap, or question my love for my girl. I adore her, and would do anything for her. I have debt from college expenses, then for graduate school that I recently completed. I don''t want to save forever for a ring, because I want to build a marriage with her NOW, or at least soon. She''s the one for me, I have no doubt.

I''ve been around to stores, with and without her, and she always seems most drawn to simple, but not typical (ie, not the standard tiffany solitaire). She likes smaller stones (thank my lucky stars), and prefers white gold. She seems to like round better than princess shape, but teeters from time to time.

I would like to find a way to get her a stone and setting that has some sort of special element to it, but for somewhere less than $1200.

Any help for a guy like me?

Thank you in advance.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Trust me, we understand your predicament. It''s hard to put a price on such a symbol of your love when you have debts and such. It''s those that have money to burn and have a budget like yours that I dislike. Is there a particular style that you''re thinking of? A size range? Can you post an example picture of what she''s been drawn to? If you give us a starting point, we''ll be able to help you better.

jldunn

Rough_Rock
You can always buy an eternity band or some other form of wedding band for an engagement ring. They''re usually quite a bit cheaper than the traditional engagement ring. Then you can use an engagement style ring for the wedding ring. This gives you more time to save and she can help pick it out. I think it''s easier to pick a simpler style wedding band that someone else will like than an engagement style ring.

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Aph!

I want to ask her NOW... but I know I need a little glistening thing to go with it, so I will try to wait...

As much as I can recall, she''s been drawn to 1/2 carat the most. She likes 1/3, too, but her face sort of crinkles up when she looks down at a stone that size on her finger. (I think that means 1/2 suits her better.) She says any size is fine with her, but I like the way her face lights up when she wiggles her fingers when there''s a slightly bigger stone on the ring she''s wearing.

There was one she showed me in a magazine (but I have NO idea what the magazine was now) a few weeks ago. It looked pretty basic, only the band wiggled a little. What I mean by that is that the band sort of swooped down and cupped into the engagement ring.

Does that make sense? All I know is that she loves white gold, she loves solitaire, but she wants something "different," too. Any clue?

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
(I decided on a more "manly" name. I love my girl, but I can''t be called "Tulips" for short.)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, don't be afraid of us! We always want to help a guy with a loving attitude who wants the best he can afford for his future wife!

But in reality, if your total budget is $1200., I would personally get a nice half carat diamond (H-I color, SI) and a plain $200. tiffany style white gold setting and wait and upgrade the setting later as an anniversary gift, if she wanted. I just hate to see you spend 30-40% of your budget on a setting.

(Like the new name, by the way!)

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
You can get a nice 1/2 carat ring for that much, which is considered quite adequate to large by many. I''ll do some searches and post some ideas after dinner. :)

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS! We''ll be happy to help - don''t worry.

So far it sounds like your gal has been involved in the process (trying on rings, showing you pics of things, etc). Perhaps you could ask her to show you that ad again? Maybe she could put together a folder of things she likes, while still leaving the final decision up to you (if that''s what the 2 of you decide you want). Send her on a Setting Hunt - there are tons of places online she could start saving pics from, as well as print ads. Then of course share said folder with us!
31.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is a tulip setting, not sure who carries it or how much it costs though. A nice 1/2 carat H SI1 would be nice. Have you checked out www.whiteflash.com yet???

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
An eternity band is the band with all the tiny little diamonds stuck around it, level with the metal, right? I''ll have to see if she''s into that or not.

I wonder if opening a box and seeing a bunch of little stones instead of the solitaire she''s said she likes would be a disappointment to her? I don''t want her to be disappointed with anything the day I figure out just how to ask....

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
A tulip setting? That''s her FAVORITE flower... I will google it and see if I find anything. Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An eternity band is really the wedding band, so I don''t think it would work to present her that as an e-ring.

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
That wasn''t a hard search at all. I like that! I think maybe that''s sort of what she means by something "different."

I wonder if they make a tulip prong ring with a band that cups into the solitaire? (She called about 15 minutes ago telling me about a ring she saw when she went shopping after work today. The whole "cupping" thing seems to be important to her.)

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not sure what you mean by "cupping." Does it swoop towards the finger or towards the wrist/tip of finger?

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Dirt Cheap Diamonds:

White Gold Setting for $150 link

0.38 D SI2 H&A for $934 link
0.51 F SI2 H&A for $1215 link
0.51 I SI2 for $1071 link

Blue Nile:

preset 1/2 carat ring for $1050 link
(Only recommended if you find the whole process overwhelming; you can get a much better deal and quality by building it yourself)

white gold setting for $225 link
0.53 H SI2 for $977 link
0.56 I SI2 for $979 link faces up bigger with a diameter of 5.43

Other sites have good deals on diamonds and easy to use ring-builders, but these two were the ones that were coming to mind that have relatively inexpensive white gold settings. Perhaps you could check out prices on settings in local jewelers and buy the diamond online, or use the prices you see here as a negotiation point for buying locally in-store.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
It''s very sweet how much you want to make her happy and nobody should dare call you cheap! We all know how debt can be, and once I finish law school, I''ll more than likely have some myself. If you had your heart set on getting her something more expensive, you can always upgrade when you''re in a better financial situation. Best of luck to you!
1.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock

Is your girlfriend really into unique looking pieces of jewelry? I was thinking that if she loves daisies, perhaps you could have a daisy ring custom made. In white gold, it shouldn''t be too much. The center of the daisy could be a diamond. That might be an idea, if she''s non-traditional.

Another idea might be a diamond in an engraved setting, like this one:
http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=4124&nav1=engagement_segment.asp&page=1&show_all_pages=1&col=3&row=3&pos=9&set_shape=

With a diamond in the center, it''d look like a flower...the band is engraved in a floral style, like leaves cascading down the sides.

Does any of this sound like something your girlfriend would like?

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
She prefers clean, smooth lines. Simple. By "swooping," I mean when the band and the engagement ring fit together, by one dipping downward, and the other curling upward.

I''ve been to many "build your own" sites, but I''ve not been able to find a solitaire with a band that is a little different, allowing for interlocking.

(I am intrigued by the daisy idea, but am far too inartistic to create it, or explain it effectively. I think there could be a chance that she''d like it. Part of why she likes the swooping thing is because it reminds her of waves on the beach, her favorite place.)

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, all. I like the tulip look, and I think she would, too. I''m going to try to see if I can find something that does the whole curling thing and tulip thing, too. That''d be awesome. When I look at the tulip setting, I can almost see my girl smiliing down at it, fluttering her fingers around to see it from different angles. Yeah, she''d like it.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
It is so sweet you are trying so hard to get the perfect ring. I don''t think your budget is small at all either! Here are some other tulip type rings that may inspire you. They are kind of out there but I love the idea of incooperating her favorite flower in the ring (yes, I am one of those flower girls
19.gif
)

50875.sm.jpg

MS130113.jpg

R1003_t.jpg

I love the tulip head settings too though!! Good luck!!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
is this what you mean by curling thing?
rds205825_b_l.jpg

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Or even this? I''m trying to get the "cupping" thing... :)

6028251024_LG.jpg

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
ChooChoo...

I think she will LOVE that! The way the prongs open up slightly to make the shape of her favorite ring is so awesome. Now I''m tempted to get her to a mall this weekend, so I can just "happen" upon a tulip setting for her to try on. If she gives the "wow" factor, I''ll know that''s the one!

Any clues where I can find a mall store that carries such?

And again, thanks. You people rock!

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2006 9:13:31 PM
Author: argh&stuff
ChooChoo...

I think she will LOVE that! The way the prongs open up slightly to make the shape of her favorite ring is so awesome. Now I''m tempted to get her to a mall this weekend, so I can just ''happen'' upon a tulip setting for her to try on. If she gives the ''wow'' factor, I''ll know that''s the one!

Any clues where I can find a mall store that carries such?

And again, thanks. You people rock!

I hope you only want to go to a "maul" store to look at one in person....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results