shape
carat
color
clarity

Affordable ring for my girl...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
No, not 2mm. It is a .2mm difference. So look at 1mm on a ruler and try to break it up into 10 equal sections. The difference is two of those sections. That could very well be the thickness of a piece of paper.

My bf is a math major and he just calculated that the copy paper we have is .1mm in width- so 2 sheet would be about .2mm-that is a very very small difference!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 0.42ct is 4.81-4.84mm.

The 0.468ct is 5.04-5.07mm

That is about 0.2mm difference - not 0.02. I think the previous may have confused 0.2mm with 0.2ct???????

I read someone''s opinion around here that differences in size become apparent at 0.5mm - to some a little more, to some a little less. Yes 1mm is small, but if the difference were imperceptible to the naked eye, why would anyone bother with a 6.5mm 1ct if it looks "the same" as a 5.5mm 0.6ct???? I can see differences at 0.3mm, but that''s the smallest difference I''ve ever had to look for.

I see you contacted WF about taking the IS for the 0.468 - great! Can''t wait to see it.

Did you also ask them to look at both stones at the same time?

Why not ask WF to photograph the 2 stones side by side so YOU can see the difference?

In reading your posts, Argh it also appears that the 0.5ct mark is somehow "magical" to your gal. It''s silly, but 0.47 is closer to 0.5 than 0.42. Not that it even matters - all that DOES matter is that you both love whatever stone you decide on.

Is it financially possible (via credit card maybe?) to have both stones sent to you so you can see which you prefer and return the "loser"? You won''t be out that money permanently, and the peace of mind may (or may not) be worth it to you both instead of relying on fancy vendor pics and largely non-expert (although highly knowledgeable) PS''rs opinions.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Wow! K, guys I've been experimenting with the 2 sheets of copier paper (note this if different from notebook paper which is much thinner!) but, I have 10 sheets of copier paper and when I look through my clear ruler (very handy in this situation) it looks to be exactly 1mm!

So you can pretty acurately tell that difference of diamter between a 4.8mm stone and a 5.0mm stone.

However! This IS just the diameter. You have to take into account the surface area of the stones. What's that equation A=Pi r2 . Use that to figure out the real difference that you'll see.

ETA: Of course that equation is supposed to say Area=Pi x r squared
2.gif

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, according to my calculations
34.gif
there is a 1.79 square milimeters difference between these stones. Is that right??

.42ct stone has 18.24 square mm surface area

.5ct stone has 20.03 square mm surface area

The difference is 1.79 square mm. That''s pretty small!

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Wow, thanks all for getting into mathematical mode for me.

I just talked to my girl; she says she thinks the .42 is "prettier," but yeah, there does seem to be something magical about the 1/2 carat mark to her. (The thing is, I''m doing this without her, even if she doesn''t think I am, and I can tell her it''s bigger than it is, I think. It''ll look big(ish) on her finger anyway, I think she forgets that sometimes.) Not that I make habit of lying to her, but I doubt she''ll be like, what point is it, honey? She''d be content to no end with whatever it is (unless it was a baby chip as she calls those promise style rings that are .10 carats).

I will email and ask for a side by side of the stones. Doh! I shoulda thought of that LONG before asking all of you to dig into the mathematical equations.
20.gif
Sorry!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree on getting atleast the .42 that you like so much on hold. Your post has had almost 7500 views and over 330 posts. Someone is going to snatch these mentioned diamonds up, especially after seeing positive posts about them! I''m not sure what else can be said it convince you that WF is a reputable co. to go with?
33.gif
I''m sure you could buy the diamond now and WF could hold it for you while you decide on the setting.

I guess my point being- get the diamond off the market or you''ll miss it and be backat square one again!
20.gif

Good luck!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Post side by side pics if you get them! I too am very interested in seeing this size difference
4.gif
And you''re welcome on the equations, it was sort of fun playing scientist!

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
CRAP! I didn''t think about someone "stealing" the diamond!
7.gif

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I sent an email asking more details about the hold process.

When I thought about it being gone earlier (couldn''t find the listing), I really felt my insides sink.

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
sorry! ''evening'' got away from me ..just a bit!

so anyway, this is the little heart box i was talking about - it''s Delft, so it''s handpainted and while there aren''t any tulips on it - what goes better with tulips than windmills?

here6151JP.jpg

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for posting that, F0r. It''s nicely painted.

I know what you mean by the evening passing quickly... all I''ve been doing all night has been poking around on here. I may not know what to do with my nights once this purchase ordeal is over with!

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
Argh ~

We were initially considering a diamond and setting from WhiteFlash, so I've been through the process, even though we eventually purchased our diamond from another e-vendor ...

I believe WF generally requires a credit card number and $500 deposit to hold your stone for 24 hours, however, $500 represents such a high percentage of the purchase price for the diamond you are considering - - you may want to ask WF if a smaller deposit is required for a smaller stone.

Others have posted on this forum about an apparently little-known WhiteFlash "lay-away" - - I don't believe the lay-away period is too long though - maybe 20 or 30 days. Maybe someone with actual experience on that end will jump in here .

If you go with a custom setting from WF I believe the stone must be paid-for, and then WF requires an additional deposit toward the cost of the setting to begin work. WF's turn-around on most custom-settings is VERY quick ... I know of several people who had their custom rings within 10 days to 2 weeks from placing the order and that was in the days before Christmas (i.e., one of the busiest times of the year!). I don't know of anyone who's been disappointed ...

I don't believe you'll get side-by-side photos from WhiteFlash - - I was told that other than the magnified photos on the website, actual photos are not possible. In fact, I "lost" a WF diamond (it got sold right out from under me), while I was waiting for a response to my request for side-by-side photos. I hope you have better luck than I did, but if you don't please don't worry - - new diamonds are added to the WF inventory all the time and other beautiful diamonds will pop-up in your price range.

Bob H. at WF is wonderful and I'm sure others will agree that you can trust him completely to be your 'eyes' and compare the 2 stones visually for you.

OH ... and today, while shopping for a new wedding band for my husband (our 20th anniversary is coming up soon!), I saw a .46 ct. diamond in a delicate cathedral setting. The center stone didn't appear small at all ~ it was really lovely ... delicate and perfect, and it looked beautiful in the cathedral setting. It made me think of you and your search for the perfect ring!

I really hope this all comes together for you soon!
4.gif

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
ok, my post didn''t work!

i was trying to say that my hubby, who is used to metrics, says..no way will you notice a 0.2mm difference in these diamonds.\i hope you spoke with WF tonight and put a hold on the diamond you and your girl love - i''m sure she''s going to be THRILLED!! and it''s awesome that you''ve about driven yourself insane trying to find something you think is perfect for her.

i agree with the bored comment! now that i''ve found my diamond and my ring is being made, i''m kinda bored and my husband is actually considering inventing research projects for me just to keep me busy.
25.gif

ok - off to bed for me.
have a great night, and stop worrying. she''s gonna love whatever you choose. honest.

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Browneyes,

I''m glad you saw something along the lines of what I''m thinking of. That sort of settles me down that it''ll be nice looking, in the end.

I am a bit nervous about the stone being gone, but I''m also a firm believer that it''ll work out like it''s supposed to (that is, when I''m not tense and worried it''ll be gone and I check the site every thirty minutes or so). And, yeah, I''m sure another stone will impress both of us, should that one go live on someone else''s hand. Ideally, it''d be just a smidgen bigger, too. (BUT, for not a lot more money. Hey, I can dream.)

I just hope I don''t feel this tense about making the Internet purchase when it really, really, really comes time.

I also wonder how much taking out two tiny little H&A diamonds will knock down the price of that niwaka setting.... Too many things to try to figure out.

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
I got the IS.

Nice stuff!

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
My computer''s been a little tempermental lately, but I''ll try.

It''s for the 918 stone. The one of the two that I liked the most...

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
It''s on the site... but I can''t get it to attach to this forum. I''m sorry.

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
WF said they would call or email my girl tongiht with the difference in prices of the Niwaka style ring with and without the surprise diamonds.

They close at 6, central time, right?

Should be soon, then.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
AND

IS_AGS-7089002.jpg

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
It looks gorgeous!!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh argh and stuff I love it! Really love it! YUMMY!!!!
18.gif

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
I love it, too. The IS on it is better (I think. I''m looking for as little white as possible, right?) than on the .42.

But, I have to find out the cost of the setting before I can make any choices.

Dun, dun, du, dun, dun, DUN!!
(that''s supposed to be suspenseful music, people)

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Dang...

The woman we're working with from WF has already left for the night, so I won't be getting any prices on the Niwaka-ish setting tonight.
7.gif

However, when the price does make its way to me, it will be without the surprise stones, and with a slightly thinner band. The original Water Lily is 2.5 mm, according to WF. My girl prefers 2mm, since she's got those itty bitty fingers.

Anyway, so much for hearing something tonight!

(I wonder if making the band a bit thinner would make it any less expensive?)

(I also wonder if taking out two LITTLE, LITTLE diamonds will make it less expensive, by much of anything at all?)

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
I was just reading on another thread that with Wf, you have the option of upgrading your stone, indefinitely. Here''s my question, though: once you do that, what happens to your diamond? Do they re-sell it? If so, does that mean what I''m planning on buying from them is a "used" diamond? And, is it a big deal to have a used diamond?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2006 8:38:59 PM
Author: argh&stuff
I was just reading on another thread that with Wf, you have the option of upgrading your stone, indefinitely. Here''s my question, though: once you do that, what happens to your diamond? Do they re-sell it? If so, does that mean what I''m planning on buying from them is a ''used'' diamond? And, is it a big deal to have a used diamond?
I would not worry in the least all diamond are millions of years old. I would not be bothered by it, but it is up to you. THey would look at it if it came back and send it out for a new grading report.

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Oh, so the report you got would still be "the story" on the diamond, the way it is at the time you buy it?

Yeah, that makes sense.

Thanks, Mata!

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone know how I can ask Valeria101 to "draw" the stuller setting with a tulip head more like the Water Lily head?

I can''t figure out a way to contact anyone, or flag anyone on this forum...

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Was the Niwaka-like setting that WF was going to make for you a full custom job for $795? Or did they have a ready made head they were going to put on it?

"(I wonder if making the band a bit thinner would make it any less expensive?)"
WF told us that the expense in a custom ring is in the work in making the mold, etc so it wouldn''t change the price to make it thinner. Our quote was only $200 difference w/ platinum vs. WG.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results