shape
carat
color
clarity

A visit to Mikimoto NYC... And musings...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I'm down the pearl rabbit hole now with your posts! I'm gonna need some pink akoyas soon. And this bracelet is gorgeous! How delicate are these pearls? Any worry wearing the bracelet while typing and would it be a bad idea to stack with my infinity bangle?

Thank you so so so much for this amazing information!
Welcome!! Water’s great :bigsmile:

Pearls aren’t doing to fall apart if you sneeze on them but they’re definitely on the delicate side… But I personally want to enjoy my pearls even if that means that I risk some scratching and chipping.

I wouldn’t stack them with a bangle that exposes diamond girdles. I do personally stack with smooth-edged gold bangles all the time though. So far… Yeah, there’s some fine scratching, but nothing to write home over. It really depends on your tolerance for risk and damage ❤️

Mikimoto defaults to A+ quality pearls in their designs (I was told I could upgrade to a higher pearl quality and pay the difference). That makes these pieces a little easier to wear, I think, since you’re not worrying about damaging very-valuable AAA pearls!!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All four pairs again!

8F62BC23-8C48-4808-8CF4-7148255BC74B.jpeg

And a few of me trying the two 12mm pairs on, because, of course :bigsmile:

1627631468144.png

2B5B8838-1F8F-48C6-B56E-6DC7BE81ED8F.jpeg

C465DF3F-ECBF-4B2D-AB78-C03C2F7F93FB.jpeg

So gosh darn classy and elegant!! You are rocking those! Makes me wonder about your other accessories (bag and shoes?). You’ve got great style.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I'm down the pearl rabbit hole now with your posts! I'm gonna need some pink akoyas soon. And this bracelet is gorgeous! How delicate are these pearls? Any worry wearing the bracelet while typing and would it be a bad idea to stack with my infinity bangle?

Thank you so so so much for this amazing information!
Yes I’m with you - pearls were not on my radar until Yssie and a few others took me on a digital tour and taught me how what’s what! Now I’m addicted!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re so sweet @pearaffair!! :bigsmile:

I have to admit my general style is nothing to write home about, I live in sweaters and leggings and boots and nearly every purse I own is a very-well-loved Givenchy - my slouchy old Pandora is my go-to! I work in a relatively affluent area and many women carry Hermes and Chanel quota bags, so I do rather stand out on that front!! But I win in jewellery :lol:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re so sweet @pearaffair!! :bigsmile:

I have to admit my general style is nothing to write home about, I live in sweaters and leggings and boots and nearly every purse I own is a very-well-loved Givenchy - my slouchy old Pandora is my go-to! I work in a relatively affluent area and many women carry Hermes and Chanel quota bags, so I do rather stand out on that front!! But I win in jewellery :lol:

Haha your approach makes sense to me! I made myself buy some expensive shoes, $600, and all I could think was how much I’d rather spend that money on jewelry haha! I don’t even blink when I spend that much on jewelry, but on clothes or shoes it was horrifying to me! Good experiment though.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick evening pic of my mini Miki family :love:

Book is Mikimoto (Memoires), published by Assouline, and explanation for Nikimoto in the 1929 tag :bigsmile:

Earrings are 7.5mm AAA (~7.60mm per my calipers) in YG, 9.25mm AAA (~9.47mm per my calipers) in WG, and Cherry Blossom bracelet in RG.

MIKI_JAN25.png

MIKI_JAN25_2.png

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think my next piece will be a ring. These are the current frontrunners - all in the same price range. I like the thought of having a second RG Cherry Blossom piece, rather than starting anew from another collection... But gosh, if that bow doesn't sing to the little girl who was convinced she'd be a princess one day! And the Les Petales collection is the grown up version, that's what the queen would wear... :love:

1643163233299.png
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1643163246628.png
1643163325912.png

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
I think my next piece will be a ring. These are the current frontrunners - all in the same price range. I like the thought of having a second RG Cherry Blossom piece, rather than starting anew from another collection... But gosh, if that bow doesn't sing to the little girl who was convinced she'd be a princess one day! And the Les Petales collection is the grown up version, that's what the queen would wear... :love:

1643163233299.png
1643163246628.png
1643163325912.png

Their rings are worth it. When you put them on, you know that they are of quality by feeling the weight. The material is solid and it's better than many other rings in the current high end market.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Their rings are worth it. When you put them on, you know that they are of quality by feeling the weight. The material is solid and it's better than many other rings in the current high end market.
I felt this too. The rings are solid and substantial. And IMO they're priced very reasonably, for a global brand, for quantity and quality of materials and workmanship. The pearls, of course, and the diamonds - even the melee - sparkle like mad :love:

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
I felt this too. The rings are solid and substantial. And IMO they're priced very reasonably, for a global brand, for quantity and quality of materials and workmanship. The pearls, of course, and the diamonds - even the melee - sparkle like mad :love:

Would you ask them to make one with pearl in AAA or do you think that their default A+ would be good enough?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you ask them to make one with pearl in AAA or do you think that their default A+ would be good enough?
This is a good question... I'm not 100% sure but here's how I'm leaning... For the rings that feature south sea pearls it's easy for me, in the US Mikimoto has only one grade for all WSS - "A+", so upgrading WSS isn't an option. But if I want an akoya design I'm pretty sure I would upgrade... I know that pearls are delicate, and that pearls in rings will get some abuse, but you see a ring all the time - so I would want to be staring at AAA pearls, not A+!!

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
This is a good question... I'm not 100% sure but here's how I'm leaning... For the rings that feature south sea pearls it's easy for me, in the US Mikimoto has only one grade for all WSS - "A+", so upgrading WSS isn't an option. But if I want an akoya design I'm pretty sure I would upgrade... I know that pearls are delicate, and that pearls in rings will get some abuse, but you see a ring all the time - so I would want to be staring at AAA pearls, not A+!!

Even in AAA, sometimes the quality of pearls might vary, how can customers be sure to get the AAA that they really want?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even in AAA, sometimes the quality of pearls might vary, how can customers be sure to get the AAA that they really want?
And you hit the nail on the head. This is part of what makes me leery! I don't think you get to see the pearl before it's mounted - and since it'd be a custom request I don't believe refusing it would be viable. I would certainly ask about viewing before setting, but I just can't imagine that Mikimoto would agree to it, so I do think I would end up having to trust them to choose an excellent AAA.

I'm really on the fence about this. On the one hand - I trust that their best is genuinely spectacular. But on the other - every grade has a range and I *do* see the nuances.

Sigh. WSS rings are much easier because there's nothing to customize! The Cherry Blossom ring is probably my top choice. I'm planning to go in and try some rings on again soon.

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
And you hit the nail on the head. This is part of what makes me leery! I don't think you get to see the pearl before it's mounted - and since it'd be a custom request I don't believe refusing it would be viable. I would certainly ask about viewing before setting, but I just can't imagine that Mikimoto would agree to it, so I do think I would end up having to trust them to choose an excellent AAA.

I'm really on the fence about this. On the one hand - I do trust that their best is genuinely spectacular. But on the other - every grade has a range and I *do* see the nuances.

Sigh. WSS rings are much easier because there's nothing to customize! The Cherry Blossom ring is probably my top choice. I want to go in and try rings on again.

I feel that with a certain amount of purchase history, they would be wise to choose the best ones among all aaa. Or maybe as loyal customers, you can ask them to view the pearl first?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I'm far from VIP with Mikimoto, and none of these rings are pricey - all around 10k USD. So I wouldn't be expecting any special favours.

There is another ring in the Les Petales Place Vendome collection. I remember seeing it in the display at NYC last time I went, but at that time I wasn't interested in rings so I didn't take any photos or ask to try it on. Ugh, I wasn't thinking!

1643177243040.png

Some alternate views from IG:

1643177136136.png
1643177375300.png

This one costs significantly more. I need to try this on if it's still there. For this, I would require that it be remade in my size - I won't buy if they want to simply resize the floor model. And I would also want to see the pearl beforehand. Mikimoto classifies this as high jewellery (I don't understand why, it's pricey but it's not THAT pricey) so maybe they'd be more willing to make those accomodations?

But this is a LOT of ring... It really might be too much ring to be remotely wearable. I don't live a red carpet life! And realistically buying this would end my 2022 VCA plans, and I'm not sure I want to do *that* either!!

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
Oh I'm far from VIP with Mikimoto, and none of these rings are pricey - all around 10k USD. So I wouldn't be expecting any special favours.

There is another ring in the Les Petales Place Vendome collection. I remember seeing it in the display at NYC last time I went, but at that time I wasn't interested in rings so I didn't take any photos or ask to try it on. Ugh, I wasn't thinking!

1643177243040.png

Some alternate views from IG:

1643177136136.png
1643177375300.png

This one costs significantly more. I need to try this on if it's still there. For this, I would require that it be remade in my size - I won't buy if they want to simply resize the floor model. And I would also want to see the pearl beforehand. Mikimoto classifies this as high jewellery (I don't understand why, it's pricey but it's not THAT pricey) so maybe they'd be more willing to make those accomodations?

But this is a LOT of ring... It really might be too much ring to be remotely wearable. I don't live a red carpet life! And realistically buying this would end my 2022 VCA plans, and I'm not sure I want to do *that* either!!

I just lost interest in vca after viewing the miki pearls. When everyone is vcaing, it's nice to give a chance to other brands when the SA still have time to cater to their non vip client.

I do feel that it's possible to ask them to bring in the pearl for view before they make one in your size.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's another view of the cheaper Les Petales version, with a WSS:

1643178278958.png

@love_pearls D'you like this one or the fancier one better, just from photos? Do you have a preference, or any other thoughts?

I do feel this version would be SO much more wearable (if it looks nice on my hand). Need to get to NYC to try things on!

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
Here's another view of the cheaper Les Petales version, with a WSS:

1643178278958.png

@love_pearls D'you like this one or the fancier one better, just from photos? Do you have a preference, or any other thoughts?

I do feel this version would be SO much more wearable (if it looks nice on my hand). Need to get to NYC to try things on!

This one is with two pedals it seems. I always like things in pairs instead of triple. It's like couplets when things are in pairs moreover it seems that the pearl is more open for viewing like it's not hidden by the pedals.

I vote this version.

But I always like ribbons.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
@yssie I am struggling to picture the three dimensions of the cheaper les petales version. The pictures don’t give sufficient angles.

I am actually loving the high jewellery version of that ring. But…it immediately reminded me of your black orchid Cartier ring that you recently acquired. I see this as sort of a pearl equivalent. Both Rings are beautiful but thought I would point that out in case you are trying to increase the diversity of styles in your collection.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie I am struggling to picture the three dimensions of the cheaper les petales version. The pictures don’t give sufficient angles.

I am actually loving the high jewellery version of that ring. But…it immediately reminded me of your black orchid Cartier ring that you recently acquired. I see this as sort of a pearl equivalent. Both Rings are beautiful but thought I would point that out in case you are trying to increase the diversity of styles in your collection.
You’re right. They are similar styles. This ring is that one dialed up to 11 :lol: I really do gravitate to the same sorts of things! And that one is WG too… RG would be nice.

Also - I’m an idiot. There are some photos of me trying the akoya version on right on page 1 of this thread! And some photos of the underside of the high jewellery version! I swear, I searched all over the internet, and here I had pictures I myself had taken in my own thread :lol-2:

I’m going to try to get to NYC as soon as I’m all better, I’m a bit under the weather at the moment ❤️

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re right. They are similar styles. This ring is that one dialed up to 11 :lol: I really do gravitate to the same sorts of things! And that one is WG too… RG would be nice.

Also - I’m an idiot. There are some photos of me trying the akoya version on right on page 1 of this thread! And some photos of the underside of the high jewellery version! I swear, I searched all over the internet, and here I had pictures I myself had taken in my own thread :lol-2:

I’m going to try to get to NYC as soon as I’m all better, I’m a bit under the weather at the moment ❤️

I think some flowers would make you feel better. (I know it would me!) :wavey:

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Ok - so I went back to page one for photos and also googled to search for images as well. Your first picture of the simple Les petales ring is pretty. But I am struggling to see how the clearly three petal design in that photo translates to what looks like a two petal design in this photo that you took:

1643270472711.jpeg

Anyway if the ring does look like the first image when you are wearing it (and noting the cost discrepancy with the high collection version) I think this simple version warrants serious consideration.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyway if the ring does look like the first image when you are wearing it (and noting the cost discrepancy with the high collection version) I think this simple version warrants serious consideration.
100% this. I'm not sure how the three-petal version would sit atop the finger... Would the pearl or petals droop over adjacent fingers? Would adjacent fingers be able to move comfortably? Will it look like I've gone and taped a giant brooch to my finger?
I would have to absolutely *LOVE* the high version for it to be worth even thinking about. And then, even if I do *LOVE* it, I need to be able to visualize actually wearing it!! And I strongly suspect there's no way I'll achieve both - which is good news for my wallet :lol:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
In comparison how Mikimoto at Takashimaya in Singapore looks like…

91638959-237A-4ABB-A091-AF918D8BC855.jpeg
D799C0BF-BDB9-4DCC-A3DB-0C33CC98E31B.jpeg

Yup! A counter in the shopping mall (where the other cosmetics and costume jewelry are located)! Pearls are still thousands or tens of thousands of dollars but clearly you won’t get the exclusive experience vs shopping in a store. Frankly I always found it a bit odd but the counter has been there for years so I suppose not everyone cares about the experience when spending a few k.

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
In comparison how Mikimoto at Takashimaya in Singapore looks like…

91638959-237A-4ABB-A091-AF918D8BC855.jpeg
D799C0BF-BDB9-4DCC-A3DB-0C33CC98E31B.jpeg

Yup! A counter in the shopping mall (where the other cosmetics and costume jewelry are located)! Pearls are still thousands or tens of thousands of dollars but clearly you won’t get the exclusive experience vs shopping in a store. Frankly I always found it a bit odd but the counter has been there for years so I suppose not everyone cares about the experience when spending a few k.

If they have AAA pearls that I am looking for. I don't mind. The worst thing is that the boutiques in a grand shopping mall don't even have AA to begin with. I don't know who's so smart to run the Asian boutiques at the moment.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Copying some pics from another thread -
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pepca-pearls.272691/page-2#post-5109168

Mikimoto akoya (9.4mm) and gemmy WSS (11.9mm), and I'm wearing a yellow and navy striped shirt ::)

Reflections in both are about equally sharp but the WSS just can't keep up with akoya for contrastiness... The akoya are ball bearings ❤️ I shouldn't say this in the other thread but akoya are still my favourite pearls :bigsmile: Just can't beat that glow... :love:

WSS_AKOYA_1.png

- - - - - - - - - -

WSS_AKOYA_2.png

- - - - - - - - - -

WSS_AKOYA_3.png

- - - - - - - - - -

WSS_AKOYA_4.png

- - - - - - - - - -

WSS_AKOYA_5.png

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha I’m an akoya loyalist too if you look at how many akoya I have vs south sea. I probably have the most Tahitians but I feel that doesn’t count cause most are circles and they come in so many more colors for collecting!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom and I went to the Mikimoto in Las Vegas together - just going to share a few photos in this thread ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First up - the Wynn exclusive keshi sprinkles! They had a few of each.

- - - - -

1656797136928.png

1656796770145.png

1656796778938.png

- - - - -

Love the pearls they used! The keshi are large and colourful - delightfully multicoloured ::)

One thing I didn't love though: They didn't use grommets. It's just wire going straight through the pearl that's wrapped into a hook on each side. I'm sure it's perfectly fine from a pearl health perspective, the pearls can't move at all, but I do personally prefer the look of the metal end cap.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeux de Rubans - the ring. I really wanted to try this on so I was very glad they had it in stock!! The design is beautiful in-person, really three-dimensional :love:

Both RG and WG/pave versions feel sturdy on the finger, and Mikimoto's pave is really well done, invisibly-set and super sparkly :cool2: The RG version has a slightly smaller pearl, and that's by design - no changing that. Both use A+ quality akoya - same story as all their "collection" pieces (in the US at least)!

For me this ring is very finger size dependent. I like rings that either show some skin on both sides of the head or spill over the sides of the finger a little, onto adjacent fingers - I don't tend to love the look of ring and finger having the same visual width. That's just a very *me* hangup. So this ring doesn't work for me on the finger I'm wearing it on here, head width and finger width are too similar, but I think it'd be perfect (in "spilling over" fashion) for my right hand ring finger. Which honestly feels like a more feminine place to wear it anyway, suits the aesthetic better ::)

- - - - -

1656799418368.png

1656799441375.png

1656799463645.png

1656799478862.png

1656799564555.png

1656799591032.png

- - - - -

1656799647118.png

1656799678011.png

1656799690695.png

1656799702940.png

- - - - -

LLJsmom wearing it with her VCA Ruban ring. So much bow going on here :bigsmile:

1656799774288.png

1656799798105.png

1656799804815.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results