clarity

5+ carat lab diamond - thoughts?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot to tag - if you have a moment to weigh in!! @DejaWiz @Kim N

I see no blue nuance in the photos or video, and the diamond looks beautiful in the video. What are the crown and pavilion angles? I couldn't see the report.

Can you try a different browser, DejaWiz? I managed to get it to load after trying a couple.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I see no blue nuance in the photos or video, and the diamond looks beautiful in the video. What are the crown and pavilion angles? I couldn't see the report.

Can you try a different browser, DejaWiz? I managed to get it to load after trying a couple.

Thank you so much for weighing in!! Here’s the HCA report - I think the numbers seem great?! I’m just so paranoid about blue nuance now that I may be seeing things that might not exist. :confused:

@DejaWiz I will see if I can get higher res - I actually just found this video on a different vendor’s site than the one I’m working with (who sent me the low res version posted earlier).

AD2F3ECB-5125-4C15-AB6B-9EB366172601.jpeg

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@twosanguinehearts I got the video to load on my workstation's browser!

I see ZERO evidence of blue nuance!

LGD507.png

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for weighing in!! Here’s the HCA report - I think the numbers seem great?! I’m just so paranoid about blue nuance now that I may be seeing things that might not exist. :confused:

@DejaWiz I will see if I can get higher res - I actually just found this video on a different vendor’s site than the one I’m working with (who sent me the low res version posted earlier).

AD2F3ECB-5125-4C15-AB6B-9EB366172601.jpeg

The numbers are awesome! Do you have an ASET scope that you can use on it when you receive it? Two honkin' diamonds! I'm so envious! :mrgreen:

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
The numbers are awesome! Do you have an ASET scope that you can use on it when you receive it? Two honkin' diamonds! I'm so envious! :mrgreen:

Fingers crossed!!! I don’t have one but want to buy one. Is David Atlas the only person who sells these?? I did get a diamond tester to whether or not it tests as moissy…will be very interesting to see!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you!!! I appreciate this so much. I will post some pics and videos when I have it!!!

Hold up on my earlier comment - I just viewed it on my other computer with the even better monitor.
I can no longer say with confidence that this one doesn't have blue nuance.
After comparing it to a few larger carat (over 5ct) D color LGDs on the Brilliance website to view the slightly differing backgrounds and lighting conditions of the videos, it seems to have a grayish undertone and I think I am now seeing traces of light blue out towards the girdle edges.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fingers crossed!!! I don’t have one but want to buy one. Is David Atlas the only person who sells these?? I did get a diamond tester to whether or not it tests as moissy…will be very interesting to see!

AGS also sells it. It's where I got mine.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Compare it to this one below which definitely has BN and let me know what you think - I am very much so on the fence with this one.
Also calling in @Kim N - what do you see?

I'm leaning towards no blue nuance after comparing it to the 4.85. Here's the other side of the profile. I don't think I see traces of blue at the edges, but given the background and lighting, I could be persuaded otherwise. It also looked good against the white paper.

5.07.jpg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for taking another look, @Kim N .

My concern is the usual tell-tale signs of it, circled below.

Screenshot_20220424-132330.png

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I see what you mean, but I could be convinced that's just the lighting. Adiamor has a number of stones with lighting that's more blue, and I often have trouble separating the lighting from actual blue nuance. This one might be best viewed in person to be certain.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I see what you mean, but I could be convinced that's just the lighting. Adiamor has a number of stones with lighting that's more blue, and I often have trouble separating the lighting from actual blue nuance. This one might be best viewed in person to be certain.

That's exactly why I'm now on the fence about it: the difference in photography conditions is making it very difficult.
@twosanguinehearts if you end up ordering this one (and I hope that you still may), be prepared for the possibility of a return/refund if it does have a touch of BN and you find it unappealing in certain lighting conditions.
Sorry that I'm going all ping-pong about it...I just want to make sure that you get a bona fide non-BN diamond!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

someone was wearing a blue shirt.
If you dont want to judge it oneself during a return period ask the vendor for a person looking at the stone opinion and if they cant then find someone who can.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Oof this is the uncertainty that makes me hesitate with lab grown! I’ll post pics and videos when it’s in front of me - but the way my brain works there needs to be no doubt. I’ll always wonder if I’m seeing blue. :lol:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I dont have a blue diamond material model so used yellow plus what someone wearing a blue shirt could look like:
yellow colored diamond
coloreddiamond.jpg
yellow shirt
yellowshirt.jpg
blue shirt
blueshirt.jpg
But the difference can be more subtle than this which is why I my opinion that eyeballs looking at the stone are the only way to know for sure.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
That's exactly why I'm now on the fence about it: the difference in photography conditions is making it very difficult.
@twosanguinehearts if you end up ordering this one (and I hope that you still may), be prepared for the possibility of a return/refund if it does have a touch of BN and you find it unappealing in certain lighting conditions.
Sorry that I'm going all ping-pong about it...I just want to make sure that you get a bona fide non-BN diamond!

No please don’t apologize, it’s so helpful to get these opinions because you all have the ability to spot potential problems! It makes me feel so much better knowing what I might be getting into!! I’m still going to try it but let’s see how it goes!!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oof this is the uncertainty that makes me hesitate with lab grown! I’ll post pics and videos when it’s in front of me - but the way my brain works there needs to be no doubt. I’ll always wonder if I’m seeing blue. :lol:
What I worry about is someone going into a blue room, outdoors with a blue sky or wear a blue shirt and freak themselves out about it.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I dont have a blue diamond material model so used yellow plus what someone wearing a blue shirt could look like:
yellow colored diamond
coloreddiamond.jpg
yellow shirt
yellowshirt.jpg
blue shirt
blueshirt.jpg
But the difference can be more subtle than this which is why I my opinion that eyeballs looking at the stone are the only way to know for sure.

This is really interesting and a very good point. I’ve often wondered how much of the environment we’re seeing in these vendor videos - and this example definitely shows how that may skew our perception.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
yellow colored diamond
coloreddiamond.jpg
yellow shirt
yellowshirt.jpg
blue shirt
blueshirt.jpg

Thank you for these examples, Karl.
This is exactly why I'm having a hard time with this one...it could be a IIb or it could be environmental, but impossible to conclude without actually seeing it (ideally, seeing it pavilion-up in a grading tray under diffused lighting).

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Ok it’s here and it’s a stunna - clearly well cut and sparkly - but I still can’t tell re: any blue nuance. Like occasionally I feel like I may see a slight blue hue, but to @Karl_K point I don’t know if there is reflection from my window, etc. I’m also having trouble catching the moments I may or may not see blue on camera. I purchased a diamond tester but only realized later that it doesn’t differentiate between diamond and moissanite…so that’s not helping me get to the bottom of this either. Here are some pics and videos, including one out in the sunlight and also compared to my two natural diamonds. Would love any thoughts or suggestions!!! @DejaWiz @Kim N

Video One

Video Two

Video Three

4559EAAB-F536-4F35-92AE-B563DDEDD2BB.jpeg
F21ADE81-3C6A-4D23-B94F-19DFA00A2B90.jpeg

A44D80AA-A843-4405-BEDA-2E71170AA415.jpeg

3BF51ED4-9A85-4FC6-88BC-372053CAA12F.jpeg

7641ED25-935B-4CD7-9126-CAB64DA7838E.jpeg
55A84650-62F7-4AF5-9218-3D5562798D2E.jpeg
54672E0A-68F0-4B1F-A296-FB108B48B932.jpeg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok it’s here and it’s a stunna - clearly well cut and sparkly - but I still can’t tell re: any blue nuance. Like occasionally I feel like I may see a slight blue hue, but to @Karl_K point I don’t know if there is reflection from my window, etc. I’m also having trouble catching the moments I may or may not see blue on camera. I purchased a diamond tester but only realized later that it doesn’t differentiate between diamond and moissanite…so that’s not helping me get to the bottom of this either. Here are some pics and videos, including one out in the sunlight and also compared to my two natural diamonds. Would love any thoughts or suggestions!!! @DejaWiz @Kim N

Video One

Video Two

Video Three

4559EAAB-F536-4F35-92AE-B563DDEDD2BB.jpeg
F21ADE81-3C6A-4D23-B94F-19DFA00A2B90.jpeg

A44D80AA-A843-4405-BEDA-2E71170AA415.jpeg

3BF51ED4-9A85-4FC6-88BC-372053CAA12F.jpeg

7641ED25-935B-4CD7-9126-CAB64DA7838E.jpeg
55A84650-62F7-4AF5-9218-3D5562798D2E.jpeg
54672E0A-68F0-4B1F-A296-FB108B48B932.jpeg

Well, I think it's gorgeous! It's performing beautifully, lots of scintillation and fire. I see no blue nuance in your videos and photos. Can you do your own white paper test, looking at it from the side?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If your having that much trouble seeing any blue it sounds extremely unlikely it has an issue but will the stone ever be mind clean to you, would any mmd?

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
If your having that much trouble seeing any blue it sounds extremely unlikely it has an issue but will the stone ever be mind clean to you, would any mmd?

This is the exact question I’ve been asking myself re: mmd. Definitely something to think about, though I don’t think I see myself purchasing a natural modern-cut stone at this stage…so I’ve got to get over it!! :lol:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I definitely cannot complain about this cut!!! It’s also an F color and it’s so bright white which I was relieved about!

Glad to hear it - your new diamond is truly a stunner!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Okay, man on the street here. I think vid # 2 is very good lighting for evaluating color and I see zero blue. I'm trying to imagine that diamond without any blue nuance and I can't because there is none.
Are you on any meds that could cause you to see blue?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Okay, man on the street here. I think vid # 2 is very good lighting for evaluating color and I see zero blue. I'm trying to imagine that diamond without any blue nuance and I can't because there is none.
Are you on any meds that could cause you to see blue?

iblueprofen?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results