shape
carat
color
clarity

5+ carat lab diamond - thoughts?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Oh I wasn’t planning to recut or polish this. It’s honestly more than I would have wanted to spend on a lab diamond to begin with so was hoping it would be good to go as is! I was thinking the polish situation wouldn’t be visible to the naked eye - unless it’s different in a diamond of this size!

Thank you so much for all of the feedback. It’s incredibly helpful and much appreciated!!

Oh sheesh...I confused myself with your and @vintageinjune threads, my mistake!
Been undertaking the latest renewal certs for IT field work for the past three days and the content is a bit...yeah. Hope the Excedrin kicks in soon.

The polish being VG likely won't be any concern, but it depends on *why* it was graded as VG versus EX. May be wise to talk to the seller and have one of their on-site gemologists assess it and provide their feedback to you. At this price point, I'd want to make sure everything was as perfect as it can be. A VG in any of the categories would certainly give me pause for the amount being demanded of my wallet...

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Oh sheesh...I confused myself with your and @vintageinjune threads, my mistake!
Been undertaking the latest renewal certs for IT field work for the past three days and the content is a bit...yeah. Hope the Excedrin kicks in soon.

The polish being VG likely won't be any concern, but it depends on *why* it was graded as VG versus EX. May be wise to talk to the seller and have one of their on-site gemologists assess it and provide their feedback to you. At this price point, I'd want to make sure everything was as perfect as it can be. A VG in any of the categories would certainly give me pause for the amount being demanded of my wallet...

This whole process kind of makes me want to go back to my original ACA plan. Perhaps paying more and getting a smaller stone is worth it simply for the peace of mind alone. :lol:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha...same for me! I've been periodically looking at it and thinking: this seems like such an amazing value because even just a couple/few years ago an LGD this size could have very well been north of six figures!

Yes, I was thinking that too!

The cert on this one is also from 2019 so I keep wondering if there’s a reason the price is lower than others of the same size. Need to figure out if I’m willing to see this thing in person… I am so super curious!

I agree with DejaWiz on not being concerned with the older cert due to the size and price point. I also think it used to be a lot more expensive, and over time they've lowered the price.

Kim, I didn’t realize your stone was also a 4.3. If I went that direction I would likely go the same route with Victor versus wearing it as a solitaire!

I should also mention that I did have an old mine cut that was phenomenal and big but too warm for me. It was something like 11.4 x 11.79 so not too far off from this. But I think a modern stone that is bright white is a little bit of a different situation on the finger :)

Oh, that 4.3 would look beautiful in a halo by Victor! But I have to say I loved the way the OMC looked as a solitaire on you. Gorgeous and huge and the sole center of attention. This 7ct will look larger, though, for the reasons you mention. The eyes will perceive whiter and brighter as bigger, not to mention the extra bump in diameter.

I suspect that the cutter didn't want to risk the diamond going below the 7ct mark and knew they'd get more for a 7ct+ stone with VG polish than a 6.99ct stone with EX polish.

This whole process kind of makes me want to go back to my original ACA plan. Perhaps paying more and getting a smaller stone is worth it simply for the peace of mind alone. :lol:

For peace of mind, yes, but not for DSS! :bigsmile:

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @DejaWiz and @Kim N !! So sorry to keep asking you guys questions but wanted to get your thoughts on this video:

This is a 5 carat CVD stone but the vendor says there is no blue or gray tint whatsoever. Just wondering if you see anything on your end (though I know it’s hard with that gray background).

stats on this one are below - thank you!!

thanks!!

Attachments

• 653BB99E-B629-4601-A6C4-FED61AA4349F.jpeg
    653BB99E-B629-4601-A6C4-FED61AA4349F.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 9

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @DejaWiz and @Kim N !! So sorry to keep asking you guys questions but wanted to get your thoughts on this video:

This is a 5 carat CVD stone but the vendor says there is no blue or gray tint whatsoever. Just wondering if you see anything on your end (though I know it’s hard with that gray background).

thanks!!

@DejaWiz i just added a real life video to that post after the fact as well!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

thanks!!

No need for an apology...ask as many questions as you need/want!

It looks good in the video.
If they have it in-hand, then definitely ask for videos in different lighting conditions as well as an ASET or Ideal-Scope image.

Edit...I see the video added to your last post.

Edit 2...hard to tell much from their video since the image quality is quite low at 240p resolution. See if they have (or can make you) a full 1080p or higher resolution video.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
No need for an apology...ask as many questions as you need/want!

It looks good in the video.
If they have it in-hand, then definitely ask for videos in different lighting conditions as well as an ASET or Ideal-Scope image.

Edit...I see the video added to your last post.

Edit 2...hard to tell much from their video since the image quality is quite low at 240p resolution. See if they have (or can make you) a full 1080p or higher resolution video.

Thank you! Does that real life video look ok too? What do you think about the stone’s dimensions? They fall within the ideal range but curious what you think.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! Does that real life video look ok too? What do you think about the stone’s dimensions? They fall within the ideal range but curious what you think.

Dimensions look great.
I edited my last post about the video.
Definitely should ask for higher resolution video and an ASET or Ideal-Scope image. :)

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Dimensions look great.
I edited my last post about the video.
Definitely should ask for higher resolution video and an ASET or Ideal-Scope image. :)

Ok thank you, will do. It's also type IIa which I feel good about!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

thanks!!

Not a problem at all, ask away! The HD video and the proportions look good. I hope they'll be able to provide a light return image.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Here are a couple HPHT diamonds that caught my eye...something to add to the list of possibilities, maybe.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Here are a couple HPHT diamonds that caught my eye...something to add to the list of possibilities, maybe.

Thank you for these! Will add to the list for consideration!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok thank you, will do. It's also type IIa which I feel good about!

CVD stones used for jewelry are all Type IIa for now.

Does the report mention post-growth treatment?

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
CVD stones used for jewelry are all Type IIa for now.

Does the report mention post-growth treatment?

No it doesn’t actually. Thanks for pointing that out. They did send the ASET…

E11B572F-3DCF-414A-BC02-D0FC69ACB182.png

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Could be a little bit of painting going on there.
@Garry H (Cut Nut) and @Karl_K can either of you offer an assessment?
computer generated image from scan so minor details may be a little off.
If there is some painting its not enough to matter.
There is also some variation in the lowers but again not enough to matter.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
It looks very well cut! Is this your top contender at the moment?

I have the 4.33 on hold because I feel like that one looks the best all things considered (or maybe it's just because that GCAL report gives me added assurance). To your point, it probably depends on the setting choice. As a solitaire a 5ct sounds best...but I also think 4.33 would look amazing in another VC halo. As far as the 5cts are concerned this latest one is of most interest at the moment! I just can't tell if I see a smidge of blue or gray in there...

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I have the 4.33 on hold because I feel like that one looks the best all things considered (or maybe it's just because that GCAL report gives me added assurance). To your point, it probably depends on the setting choice. As a solitaire a 5ct sounds best...but I also think 4.33 would look amazing in another VC halo. As far as the 5cts are concerned this latest one is of most interest at the moment! I just can't tell if I see a smidge of blue or gray in there...

Also got these cool images for 4.33ct! Any concerns here? @DejaWiz @Kim N @Karl_K
Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 1.39.43 PM.png ?? Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 1.39.22 PM.png

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I found the gcal report.
Those images are computer generated based on a scan and match up with the gcal images.
Its a well cut stone.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I found the gcal report.
Those images are computer generated based on a scan and match up with the gcal images.
Its a well cut stone.

Thank you! Would you say very well cut or average? I really want the best performance possible. Studio videos looked great but the real life ones aren't easy to review.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you! Would you say very well cut or average? I really want the best performance possible. Studio videos looked great but the real life ones aren't easy to review.
Top few % cut wise.
I did not check it for transparency issues, videos are limited for that so have your vendor do that.
Same for the 5ct.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Top few % cut wise.
I did not check it for transparency issues, videos are limited for that so have your vendor do that.
Same for the 5ct.

I really appreciate your input!!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

They're both excellent cut-wise. I would give an edge to the 4.33 for being HPHT but an edge to the 5ct for the size. Would you prefer to wear a halo or a solitaire?

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
They're both excellent cut-wise. I would give an edge to the 4.33 for being HPHT but an edge to the 5ct for the size. Would you prefer to wear a halo or a solitaire?

I want to say solitaire - but I also know that I could get bored since I had the amazing VC before! :D I think I’ll take a look at 4.33 and see if it speaks to me in person.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your expertise, Karl_K - always appreciated!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Hi again! This stone is a lower color than I was going for, but for some reason the video stands out to me and it looks like maybe it's a high H? The cert notes faint blue, but wondering if it might be worth a look?? Would love thoughts!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi again! This stone is a lower color than I was going for, but for some reason the video stands out to me and it looks like maybe it's a high H? The cert notes faint blue, but wondering if it might be worth a look?? Would love thoughts!

It'll probably look steely-blue, similar to this:

Screenshot_20220122-195739.png

Screenshot_20220122-195706.png

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The cut looks great, but it looks very silvery grey-blue in the video to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results