shape
carat
color
clarity

5+ carat lab diamond - thoughts?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DejaWiz @Kim N Would you mind taking a peek to see if this stone looks brown to you? It's HPHT so I'm not sure if I'm just seeing things...

BrilliantEarth

Also - do you know which grower has this symbol??

I'm not familiar with this symbol, but I don't see any tint issues with the stone. It seems to be on the pricey side, though.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not familiar with this symbol, but I don't see any tint issues with the stone. It seems to be on the pricey side, though.

Totally agree and I can get it for cheaper! Do you like the numbers on this one?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
twosanguinehearts I agree with Kim N...the numbers on paper are great and I'm not seeing any tint issues with this one, either.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, the numbers are terrific! Can you get an IS or ASET image?

twosanguinehearts I agree with Kim N...the numbers on paper are great and I'm not seeing any tint issues with this one, either.

Thank you both! I got it and am requesting the images. It’s not H&A but it has the tiny table and high crown I was after and score is good on HCA, so fingers crossed!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you both! I got it and am requesting the images. It’s not H&A but it has the tiny table and high crown I was after and score is good on HCA, so fingers crossed!

Nevermind, they just emailed me to say that it sold before they could get it. I don’t know what the right answer is anymore!! Sigh.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nevermind, they just emailed me to say that it sold before they could get it. I don’t know what the right answer is anymore!! Sigh.

Bummer. The right stone is out there for you. Are you leaning towards a modern lab-grown over a true antique at this point?

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Bummer. The right stone is out there for you. Are you leaning towards a modern lab-grown over a true antique at this point?

At this point I’m keeping my mind open to both and want to see what I stumble upon that feels right. I love the idea of both an icy white modern diamond (either natural or lab) as well as a charming old cut. All jokes aside, I would love to own both one day…but for now I can only do one big purchase. It’s just so challenging to find a stone in either category that meets all criteria in regards to cut, color and price. I know I’ll find it, I’m just getting a bit weary with the hunt!!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At this point I’m keeping my mind open to both and want to see what I stumble upon that feels right. I love the idea of both an icy white modern diamond (either natural or lab) as well as a charming old cut. All jokes aside, I would love to own both one day…but for now I can only do one big purchase. It’s just so challenging to find a stone in either category that meets all criteria in regards to cut, color and price. I know I’ll find it, I’m just getting a bit weary with the hunt!!

I know what you mean. I felt the same way when I was searching for my OEC and then for my lab diamond. But I think when you see *your* stone, you'll know it. Crossing my fingers for you that you'll find it soon!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do we feel about this one??

5ct D VS1

I don't see any tint issues, and the cut seems promising. I personally prefer a slightly higher pavilion angle to avoid potential obstruction and elongated arrows. This stone also seems to have LGF closer to 80, so the light return will be less broad / more splintery.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DejaWiz and @Kim N do an awesome job of helping people find beautiful diamonds, but the hunt can be frustrating. It literally took me four years to find a good candidate, and unfortunately it just wasn't "the one". In the end, I decided to go with custom cutting. Another option is to use a concierge service. Your special diamond is out there.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I don't see any tint issues, and the cut seems promising. I personally prefer a slightly higher pavilion angle to avoid potential obstruction and elongated arrows. This stone also seems to have LGF closer to 80, so the light return will be less broad / more splintery.

Here is imagery for that 5ct D/VS1 - looks a bit faded in the center doesn’t it?

AE7B5DD2-E90C-4418-8542-F261EEA28678.jpeg 2B31007C-B638-42AB-B650-5CB9A8ACFBE9.jpeg

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
@Kim N @DejaWiz - it’s me again!! Would you mind looking at this video below to check for blue nuance? I don’t think I see any but it’s tough on the gray background. I ended up getting a larger OMC so looking at a smaller LGD now. Thanks!!!!

LGD Video

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Kim N @DejaWiz - it’s me again!! Would you mind looking at this video below to check for blue nuance? I don’t think I see any but it’s tough on the gray background. I ended up getting a larger OMC so looking at a smaller LGD now. Thanks!!!!

LGD Video

I don't see any blue nuance either. It looks very nice! But you must share more about the OMC!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
It is hard to tell due to the video quality, but I'm leaning towards no blue nuance.

Screenshot_20220420-062421.png

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the almost 6ct one I posted that a couple people here weren’t a fan of. :confused: It’s a beauty though and think my photos and videos didn’t do it justice. I’ll do a post soon but here’s a couple pics for you.

C0C49C48-99E2-4B8B-BA71-9CED0BB13180.jpeg
0D47D9DA-BD6C-4CFA-BAC6-7574DF4989AB.jpeg
05B10ACA-BEA7-4440-8E40-BE54E7FAFF1C.jpeg 3D610A9A-9165-4CBA-B112-33A37F93282E.jpeg

It's gorgeous!! And hopefully you've warded off DSS forever. :bigsmile: Love your nails too!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I got the almost 6ct one I posted that a couple people here weren’t a fan of. :confused: It’s a beauty though and think my photos and videos didn’t do it justice. I’ll do a post soon but here’s a couple pics for you.

C0C49C48-99E2-4B8B-BA71-9CED0BB13180.jpeg
0D47D9DA-BD6C-4CFA-BAC6-7574DF4989AB.jpeg
05B10ACA-BEA7-4440-8E40-BE54E7FAFF1C.jpeg 3D610A9A-9165-4CBA-B112-33A37F93282E.jpeg

Beautiful thank you for sharing and I can’t wait to read more about it! It’s lovely and wow I love the setting.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
@DejaWiz when you were talking about the iPhone light test to detect blue nuance, are you saying that if you see fire when you shine the light on the diamond in the dark it likely has blue nuance? Sorry if I’m not understanding, but I would love to know how this can be detected once the stone is in hand!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz when you were talking about the iPhone light test to detect blue nuance, are you saying that if you see fire when you shine the light on the diamond in the dark it likely has blue nuance? Sorry if I’m not understanding, but I would love to know how this can be detected once the stone is in hand!

Hi TSH,
When I mentioned using the LED/flashlight feature of a phone while in a dark room, that is to create a direct lighting environment for viewing the diamond, which will cause dispersion so you can see (and judge) the fire.

Judging blue nuance is probably best done in an indirect lighting condition while viewing the diamond pavilion-up against a white background.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Hi TSH,
When I mentioned using the LED/flashlight feature of a phone while in a dark room, that is to create a direct lighting environment for viewing the diamond, which will cause dispersion so you can see (and judge) the fire.

Judging blue nuance is probably best done in an indirect lighting condition while viewing the diamond pavilion-up against a white background.

Ohhhh ok thank you for clarifying!! That makes sense I’m getting my tips all mixed up. :lol:

Can you please also tell me if the presence of phosphorescence is indicative of blue nuance? I was watching a YouTube video about LGD that turn orange in the dark after being exposed to LED lighting and was curious if this is a separate thing from blue nuance.

Thank you!!!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Ohhhh ok thank you for clarifying!! That makes sense I’m getting my tips all mixed up. :lol:

Can you please also tell me if the presence of phosphorescence is indicative of blue nuance? I was watching a YouTube video about LGD that turn orange in the dark after being exposed to LED lighting and was curious if this is a separate thing from blue nuance.

Thank you!!!

Not necessarily separate...a boron blue diamond, natural or lab, will usually have a reddish/orangish glow.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Ok here is a link with a clearer video of this stone (which I have on hold) that might be easier to evaluate. They say it’s super bright, white, sparkly and completely eye clean:

Any sign of blue nuance in this video that you can make out? They also put it in a sample setting to take some hand shots and I asked for the white paper test…might be hard to tell in the setting but here they are:

DD65DB99-CBFD-4FD5-848D-8B8ADF170B27.jpeg 67F1E5C1-C9CB-4EBA-B4F6-900653BA39D0.jpeg F7C6A6D0-3752-4EDA-B2F4-406CE25A7F6B.jpeg
3E8EF12F-AC3A-4157-952C-0715DCC8FBC9.jpeg

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Ok here is a link with a clearer video of this stone (which I have on hold) that might be easier to evaluate. They say it’s super bright, white, sparkly and completely eye clean:

Any sign of blue nuance in this video that you can make out? They also put it in a sample setting to take some hand shots and I asked for the white paper test…might be hard to tell in the setting but here they are:

DD65DB99-CBFD-4FD5-848D-8B8ADF170B27.jpeg 67F1E5C1-C9CB-4EBA-B4F6-900653BA39D0.jpeg F7C6A6D0-3752-4EDA-B2F4-406CE25A7F6B.jpeg
3E8EF12F-AC3A-4157-952C-0715DCC8FBC9.jpeg

Forgot to tag - if you have a moment to weigh in!! @DejaWiz @Kim N

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results