shape
carat
color
clarity

5+ carat lab diamond - thoughts?

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Hello! I have never seen a lab diamond in person but I am quite curious to see how I’d feel about one when I can take a look with my own eyes. I’ve been looking at ideal 5 carat natural diamonds but recently stumbled upon this one (which I’ve put on hold). Does anyone have thoughts based on the video and specs? Does there appear to be strain or blurry facets?

5.65 carat round

thanks in advance for your thoughts!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I see some carbon crystals and clouds floating around in there - not a good CVD diamond, in my opinion.
For this size, I would highly recommend strict vetting by an expert of any diamonds are grown with CVD or limit to HPHT with no color tint nuances.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I see some carbon crystals and clouds floating around in there - not a good CVD diamond, in my opinion.
For this size, I would highly recommend strict vetting by an expert of any diamonds are grown with CVD or limit to HPHT with no color tint nuances.

thank you very much! Do you have any recs for someone who can help me find solid, ideal cut options in the 4.5-5 carat range?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
thank you very much! Do you have any recs for someone who can help me find solid, ideal cut options in the 4.5-5 carat range?

Sure!
Do you have a budget cap in mind?
Myself and a few others that frequent the LGD subforum can scour the vendor sites and make some great diamond recommendations for you to look at.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock

Awesome, thank you! I’m looking for a really great deal but also a truly amazing stone. If I’m going to consider lab grown I want to make sure it’s an amazing buy all around! I would say $15k-$40k tops is the range I’m looking at, but hopefully less than the max. :)

Thanks!!!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Found a handful...if you have any questions about any of them, feel free to ask.

This one is a little challenging to tell if it has a touch of undisclosed blue nuance (trace of boron, Type IIb), so you may want to steer clear to play it safe.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Found a handful...if you have any questions about any of them, feel free to ask.

This one is a little challenging to tell if it has a touch of undisclosed blue nuance (trace of boron, Type IIb), so you may want to steer clear to play it safe.

Thank you so much, these are nice options! It’s really hard for me to tell if I see tint in the videos - like the 4.51 for example. Am I imagining a bit of a brown hue?

What do you think of this (which is of course top of budget):

5.04 lab

and this one:

4.33 lab

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much, these are nice options! It’s really hard for me to tell if I see tint in the videos - like the 4.51 for example. Am I imagining a bit of a brown hue?

5.04 lab

and this one:

4.33 lab

I wouldn't recommend the 5.04 from Brilliant Earth. It doesn't appear to be well cut.

I do really like the 4.33 from Adiamor. Great proportions, HPHT, excellent GCAL cut analysis. But if you're looking for 5ct+, I think this one will feel a little small.

For the size and quality you're looking for, I'd suggest getting in touch with Distinctive Gem for their concierge services. Jon will be able to provide you full cut analyses of any stones you're interested in.

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are no photos of this one, but the proportions are promising, and the report indicates no post-growth treatment. If you're interested, you could ask the vendor for a photo/video and Ideal-Scope image.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

5.04 lab

and this one:

4.33 lab

You're welcome. After looking at the 4.51 more: despite the backdrop being different than the other two that I posted, I'm starting to think that it may have a very slight undisclosed blue nuance, so scratch it off the list to be safe.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the advice and recommendations! I will reach out to Jon, good idea. Would you mind looking at this one? The price is right!! Some inclusions but I don’t think you’d see in real life…

4.27 lab

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the advice and recommendations! I will reach out to Jon, good idea. Would you mind looking at this one? The price is right!! Some inclusions but I don’t think you’d see in real life…

4.27 lab

That one is definitely a Type IIb that will appear light blue/turquoise due to the presence of boron molecules in the crystalline matrix.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're welcome. After looking at the 4.51 more: despite the backdrop being different than the other two that I posted, I'm starting to think that it may have a very slight undisclosed blue nuance, so scratch it off the list to be safe.

I honestly have so much trouble when the backdrop and lighting are inconsistent. And I really don't understand how a lab can grade a diamond with tint of any color as D, since D should be the absence of all color.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
That one is definitely a Type IIb that will appear light blue/turquoise due to the presence of boron molecules in the crystalline matrix.

This one is expensive but when it’s HPHT type II does that imply potential tint?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one is expensive but when it’s HPHT type II does that imply potential tint?

This one definitely looks bluish to me. Type IIb indicates the presence of boron which leads to blue nuance. When it only says type II without an indication of IIa or IIb, you'd need to look at the videos to check for blue nuance.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I honestly have so much trouble when the backdrop and lighting are inconsistent. And I really don't understand how a lab can grade a diamond with tint of any color as D, since D should be the absence of all color.

Didn't Avi Levy agree to come back for another PS zoom session at some point? I know IGI is not the only lab examining LG diamonds. Yet, it seems pointless for labs not to disclose blue nuance.

I mean this from a place of great appreciation and respect for the more experienced/expert members of the forum willing to help others--just because. However, given the precious commodity of time, wouldn’t it be easier to assist if there wasn't a need to study/double/triple check the backgrounds/movements/angles of the stones trying to discern blue nuance (across a computer screen no less) if it can just be stated in the lab report from a simple test? I wonder if we can push for this again. Just some thoughts...

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I found a 5ct that looks interesting. Scores .9 on HCA but the angles are very different than what I was searching for. Would this be considered an FIC? @Kim N @DejaWiz

Still love the 4.33 and 7ct options…but the size of the latter scares me! lol

F3577113-9290-4AC9-A99F-150476770218.jpeg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I found a 5ct that looks interesting. Scores .9 on HCA but the angles are very different than what I was searching for. Would this be considered an FIC? @Kim N @DejaWiz

Due to gross rounding, I wouldn't mess with a 40.2° PA, but it could be fine...would definitely need to be checked for light return/leakage with an ASET or Ideal-Scope.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, it's an FIC. It could be great, but it's risky. I'd want to view it in person for a while in many different lighting environments. And I agree with DejaWiz that light return should be verified.

I still love the 7ct too. I keep going back to look at it because it seems like such a great stone!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it's an FIC. It could be great, but it's risky. I'd want to view it in person for a while in many different lighting environments. And I agree with DejaWiz that light return should be verified.

I still love the 7ct too. I keep going back to look at it because it seems like such a great stone!

I know…the numbers are incredible!!! I love big rings but this might be overkill. :confused: Would you wear a diamond that size? I’m not the type to save jewelry for special occasions so I’d need to be comfortable rocking this thing at the supermarket. :lol: I know for sure I’m comfortable with a 5 carat but not sure if 7 is going to be drastically larger!

Here’s the other thing with the 7 - they won’t send me an aset but sent over this terrible video which tells me nothing. I thought I saw a tint but they’re swearing there’s none…

here is 4.3

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know…the numbers are incredible!!! I love big rings but this might be overkill. :confused: Would you wear a diamond that size? I’m not the type to save jewelry for special occasions so I’d need to be comfortable rocking this thing at the supermarket. :lol: I know for sure I’m comfortable with a 5 carat but not sure if 7 is going to be drastically larger!

Here’s the other thing with the 7 - they won’t send me an aset but sent over this terrible video which tells me nothing. I thought I saw a tint but they’re swearing there’s none…

here is 4.3

I really can't tell anything from the videos. I think if you're comfortable with a 5 carat, the 4.3 will be too small. There's around 0.4mm difference (and around 8% difference in face-up area) between the 4.3ct and a 5ct, which would be noticeable to the naked eye.

I'm like you in not saving jewelry for special occasions. I know it's different when a diamond is haloed versus a solitaire of the same proportions, but my halo now is about 13.15mm, and I feel more than comfortable wearing it everywhere, so yes, I'd rock the hell out of that 12.25mm diamond! :bigsmile: Can you try on a similar-sized diamond at a local jeweler?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Ha...same for me! I've been periodically looking at it and thinking: this seems like such an amazing value because even just a couple/few years ago an LGD this size could have very well been north of six figures!

Looks like direct lighting, which will make a diamond go a little dark while bringing out the fireworks. I think it looks great, but I'd still want to check it with ASET or Ideal-Scope. Are you comfortable checking it yourself and returning for a refund, if needed?

my halo now is about 13.15mm, and I feel more than comfortable wearing it everywhere, so yes, I'd rock the hell out of that 12.25mm diamond! :bigsmile: Can you try on a similar-sized diamond at a local jeweler?

Kim, your ring is a heck of a great reference for finger coverage in this instance.

Found a couple videos of 7ct solitaires which can give a very basic visual for size, but I agree that it may be best to try and find a 12mm diamond, CZ, Moissy, or WS and see it in person.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Ha...same for me! I've been periodically looking at it and thinking: this seems like such an amazing value because even just a couple/few years ago an LGD this size could have very well been north of six figures!

Looks like direct lighting, which will make a diamond go a little dark while bringing out the fireworks. I think it looks great, but I'd still want to check it with ASET or Ideal-Scope. Are you comfortable checking it yourself and returning for a refund, if needed?

Kim, your ring is a heck of a great reference for finger coverage in this instance.

Found a couple videos of 7ct solitaires which can give a very basic visual for size, but I agree that it may be best to try and find a 12mm diamond, CZ, Moissy, or WS and see it in person.

Thank you so much for the references! They are tricky to find at this size. The cert on this one is also from 2019 so I keep wondering if there’s a reason the price is lower than others of the same size. Need to figure out if I’m willing to see this thing in person… I am so super curious!

Kim, I didn’t realize your stone was also a 4.3. If I went that direction I would likely go the same route with Victor versus wearing it as a solitaire!

I should also mention that I did have an old mine cut that was phenomenal and big but too warm for me. It was something like 11.4 x 11.79 so not too far off from this. But I think a modern stone that is bright white is a little bit of a different situation on the finger :)

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for the references! They are tricky to find at this size. The cert on this one is also from 2019 so I keep wondering if there’s a reason the price is lower than others of the same size. Need to figure out if I’m willing to see this thing in person… I am so super curious!

I'm not so concerned with the age of the report.
It's a large and expensive LGD with Polish = VG, so it's going to be off most diamond shoppers radars.
If your plan is to get it recut and polished anyway, then I'd say that this is a prime candidate if you determine that the size and price are acceptable for your end goal.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not so concerned with the age of the report.
It's a large and expensive LGD with Polish = VG, so it's going to be off most diamond shoppers radars.
If your plan is to get it recut and polished anyway, then I'd say that this is a prime candidate if you determine that the size and price are acceptable for your end goal.

Oh I wasn’t planning to recut or polish this. It’s honestly more than I would have wanted to spend on a lab diamond to begin with so was hoping it would be good to go as is! I was thinking the polish situation wouldn’t be visible to the naked eye - unless it’s different in a diamond of this size!

Thank you so much for all of the feedback. It’s incredibly helpful and much appreciated!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results