shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you sacrifice colour in an OEC to maximise size?

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I love that ring so much! Yes double milgrain could be beautiful, then single around the sides?

Yes, that’s what I would suggest. Just single milgrain for the sides and double for the center. I think it would be visually interesting as well as make the center appear a tad bigger

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Yes, that’s what I would suggest. Just single milgrain for the sides and double for the center. I think it would be visually interesting as well as make the center appear a tad bigger

I'm liking this idea, thank you!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
The centre is 1.24ct, measurements are 6.67 x 6.99 x 4.11.

The sides are 5.04 x 5.13 x 2.75 and 5.03 x 5.10 x 2.78.

I have asked about a photo with smaller sides to make a decision.

I have also messaged the other vendor to find out if the K is available.

If I added the widths of the stones together and got 16.74 mm before the bezels. That would be very nice finger coverage!

The face of my deco halo is 18.4 mm and I am a size 6.5. I love the finger coverage of that ring.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
If I added the widths of the stones together and got 16.74 mm before the bezels. That would be very nice finger coverage!

The face of my deco halo is 18.4 mm and I am a size 6.5. I love the finger coverage of that ring.

Yes definitely sounds like good coverage! I love your halo and great to know that width works. I’m a size 6.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
You really are getting so close! It's exciting! I just want to leave a pic of my ering because I have 4mm sides (the oval is a @9x7.2) to provide a bit of relative visual with smaller sides. I happen to really like this general proportion and think smaller sides added with the brilliant idea of double milgraining the middle would be a beautiful ratio.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
You really are getting so close! It's exciting! I just want to leave a pic of my ering because I have 4mm sides (the oval is a @9x7.2) to provide a bit of relative visual with smaller sides. I happen to really like this general proportion and think smaller sides added with the brilliant idea of double milgraining the middle would be a beautiful ratio.
IMG_20200729_113658411.jpg

Oh this is lovely. I&R have come back with smaller 4.15-4.2mm sides as an option.

Photo and video (sorry it’s sideways!)

16E605AC-1260-45DE-BEFA-2255FA8878CA.jpeg

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! What are your thoughts on the proportions?

I like them but I think I like the inspiration proportions better personally. Either would be beautiful, though!

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
I like them but I think I like the inspiration proportions better personally. Either would be beautiful, though!

Have you seen the second option above? I think this is pretty close to the inspiration proportions.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, I am late to the party, seems you are getting a lot of great advice!! I love both sides coz I love all kinds of 3 stones but I think the smaller sides looks closest to your inspo ring.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Oh this is lovely. I&R have come back with smaller 4.15-4.2mm sides as an option.

There it is!
:love: This is definitely within my personal harmonious 'golden ratio' :love:
I think it will be sensational and can't wait to see the CAD.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Bottom for sure and I think still double milgrain for the center! I think it would be a lovely look and a bit different!

Sorry, I am late to the party, seems you are getting a lot of great advice!! I love both sides coz I love all kinds of 3 stones but I think the smaller sides looks closest to your inspo ring.

There it is!
:love: This is definitely within my personal harmonious 'golden ratio' :love:
I think it will be sensational and can't wait to see the CAD.

Thank you all! I have asked to go ahead with the second option (smaller sides) and then we can start working on the setting! I will definitely be asking to see the double milgrain centre @Muluver!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all! I have asked to go ahead with the second option (smaller sides) and then we can start working on the setting! I will definitely be asking to see the double milgrain centre @Muluver!

Sooooo excited for you! Please keep us updated on the progress!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Omg yaaaay!!!! I’m so excited for you, seriously! When you know, you know!

This is going to be a fab ring! Please feel free to share CAD designs here if you want help!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Agnasia, it's funny, I was going to ask you if the stones were a bit bigger than you wanted but for some reason I didn't - I'm so happy to see your latest post!! The smaller stones fit the look you are going for and look beautiful with the center stone - I'm so excited for you!!!

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock

Now THIS is *chef’s kiss* perfect!!! Those smaller stones are perfect.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Sooooo excited for you! Please keep us updated on the progress!

Thank you! Deposit has been paid. I think I’ll be needing all of your help with the setting!

Omg yaaaay!!!! I’m so excited for you, seriously! When you know, you know!

This is going to be a fab ring! Please feel free to share CAD designs here if you want help!

Well if it wasn’t for you I would have got to this point! Thank you so much for finding the diamond. I will absolutely be asking for help! They explained the process to me, that we discuss everything first before starting the CADs as new CADs will incur costs. Minor tweaks are fine, but any big changes will add to the cost.

@Agnasia, it's funny, I was going to ask you if the stones were a bit bigger than you wanted but for some reason I didn't - I'm so happy to see your latest post!! The smaller stones fit the look you are going for and look beautiful with the center stone - I'm so excited for you!!!

Aah thank you! I wasn’t sure if I was being overly picky, but as soon as I saw them with the smaller stones I knew they were the ones. Although I did hesitate over the lower carat weight (what has PS done to me?)!!!

Now THIS is *chef’s kiss* perfect!!! Those smaller stones are perfect.

Thanking you muchly! They look just right, I think.

dmack

Shiny_Rock

As soon as I saw this, I said “Yepyepyep!” This is so right!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
i'm so thrilled for you! all i could do was refresh my screen and track along while getting slammed with work. i'm 100% happy that you also asked for the smaller sides :)

can't wait to continue to track and see your completed project!

just wanted to say that this breakdown was so helpful for me too! i might have to do some math calculations at one point too, whenever I find "the one" haha.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Congratulations on your new diamonds. It is so great to follow the twists and turns of your journey to see that you are getting just what you wanted! Yay! Will be staying tuned to see the diamonds in their new setting:):dance:

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
As soon as I saw this, I said “Yepyepyep!” This is so right!

Thank you, yes I think so too!

i'm so thrilled for you! all i could do was refresh my screen and track along while getting slammed with work. i'm 100% happy that you also asked for the smaller sides :)

can't wait to continue to track and see your completed project!

just wanted to say that this breakdown was so helpful for me too! i might have to do some math calculations at one point too, whenever I find "the one" haha.

Ha ha thanks! There is something about knowing the coverage isn’t there? I think I have about 20mm width in total to play with, so with the bezels it should work really well.

I really hope you find “the one” soon and will keep my eyes peeled.

Wow! Congratulations on your new diamonds. It is so great to follow the twists and turns of your journey to see that you are getting just what you wanted! Yay! Will be staying tuned to see the diamonds in their new setting:):dance:

Thank you so much, it’s been a bit of a rollercoaster and I’m just so glad I got the diamonds secured before the weekend! There was a little palaver with the transaction as my bank blocked it! But all done, now on with the setting!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Okay here come my questions! I know oec doesn’t directly translate to omc pricing and size per ct but I do feel like our budget and side stone ratio preference are similar!

Went you went down to the 4mm sides how much price difference did you see? Did I/R calculate it down to you at that level?

And did they give you a price breakdown of each item (setting, side stones etc) or was it just a finalized number thrown own? (Only if you don’t mind sharing of course!)

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Okay here come my questions! I know oec doesn’t directly translate to omc pricing and size per ct but I do feel like our budget and side stone ratio preference are similar!

Went you went down to the 4mm sides how much price difference did you see? Did I/R calculate it down to you at that level?

And did they give you a price breakdown of each item (setting, side stones etc) or was it just a finalized number thrown own? (Only if you don’t mind sharing of course!)

Ha ha go ahead! Ok so the bigger side stones were $648 more than the smaller ones. Total cost with the smaller size side diamonds and centre was $5760 (the sides were $810). They have estimated the setting in platinum will be $1600-1800.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
So lovely people, now I have the diamonds secured (woohoo!) I need to think about the setting. I have the weekend to think it through before starting discussions with I&R on Monday.

Obviously the inspiration ring is my main starting point, but I don’t want it to just be a complete copy but have it’s own life, so love @Muluver’s idea of the double milgrain. So in keeping but tweaking, to make it the best version of itself.

So @luvmysparklies made a great point about the angle of the side stones that I hadn’t even clocked, with the inspo ring all the stones are positioned fairly straight across, whereas the three stone from Hancocks had the pears angled away. I think I want a bit of an angle but no where near so dramatic so you really see the sides too. Any thoughts/experiences on angles?

05037578-76A9-4566-A186-CD2AD14F9573.jpeg

The next question I have is about managing the gap. The inspo ring had a gap but seemed to sit better with my wedding band, which is how I would intend to wear it. I would say all the Hancock rings did not play so well with others and I personally wasn’t a fan of the gaps. To me they felt they were almost not meant to be worn together, although it was a humid day and my finger would have been swollen. What is it about the design I need to consider to be able to wear both rings? I’m not fussed about it be being flush, although that is my main experience, I kind of like a small/slight gap but not so it’s very noticeable.

46797DBF-884B-4505-9C53-1D589DB7F419.jpeg

So I’m not sure if I’m using the right terminology but the gallery or baskets(?) I would like to have some detail but not overly ornate, definitely some milgrain I think. Not overly keen on the inspo ring here, maybe a floral motif like this one I found on DK’s insta?

9B212F63-6EFE-4E95-9808-8352685C5EA4.jpeg

I also love Cerulean’s

00B7776F-88FE-412B-A516-6ED42E3B9FDC.jpeg

Shank - the inspo ring has a plain and I think tapered shank. It looks elegant, but I don’t know if slightly wider would work better with my wedding band? My band is also quite flat/squared off, so should the shank be similar as a rounded shank may be too much of a contrast? I think sweetpeaandbabycorn’s seems inbetween?

B6DF85CF-99AC-4EC2-B0F2-85E8486AB3E5.jpeg

Or I could do something different like a split shank, but not sure the sides are big enough accommodate this look? I also like the double shank look.

38D2740D-6BDE-4808-8CA0-392020C5E0DA.jpeg

Or I could go engraved? But perhaps that’s too fussy? I love how this Hancocks one finishes the engraving at the back so there’s room for sizing but it looks purposeful.

DD707788-42F8-413A-9D9B-71BD9AB1D4A0.jpeg

Sorry for all the questions!!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Sorry I can’t answer in depth atm, but the more tapered your baskets are, the smaller the gap will be.

Not to overwhelm you, but you’ll want to think about if the side stones are flush, or dropped at a lower height - here’s an example with side stones that are set lower than the center.

Do you have a profile picture of the hancocks ring you liked? Sorry if you shared and I got lost

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I prefer sides that are lower set than the center stone, as you can sometimes be left with an awkwardly large space underneath but this is personal preference. The exception is a more intricate gallery

I also prefer the split shank with larger sides, but again, personal preference

Other examples-

More vintage feel, chunky center bezel, more defined edge on the shank and engraving details

Simple floral motif, flush height

A pretty double bezel, scalloped gallery

More contemporary, but huge gap as I expect the basket has zero taper

A cool Art Deco gallery

1662826537773.jpeg

These are also obviously pears, but could be easily modified. It has the tri wire shank if you want something less plain without going the engraved or split shank route

Lastly - since the size difference is large, you could do an open gallery and something “filled” on the sides like this - I think the engraving is a pretty touch but not necessary. The center could easily be modified to be a bezel

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results