shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you sacrifice colour in an OEC to maximise size?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I’m hoping a new video will confirm whether there’s an issue with the centre and just have to hope it doesn’t sell in the meantime!!

The N color vendor also has 1.54 K OMC (looks like a pillowy OEC to me). Did you see that one? Maybe she could do a side by side vid for you? Unless it’s too cushiony.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
It can’t hurt to reach out to hold the N, she might do a courtesy hold. Asking is free!

That’s really too bad about Sara, that is frustrating. So it sounds like you might need to take a blind leap of faith. Have you called them? Ilya should still be around I’d think? Someone is keeping the lights on! I’d probably get a aggressive at this point hah but I’m pushy to get what I want :lol:

I will add, if the M is grabbing at your heartstrings the most, that says a lot. It’s still a gorgeous stone with a beautiful fluttery petal pattern, I’m merely expressing my own preferences, ideally they’d send more videos so you can be sure…and it’s just a slightly different flavor than the other 2. There’s no wrong answers here

As for bezel and tint - it’s hard to say how a stone might react as I do find antiques behave differently. No matter what, the color will be much more evident and I bet a bezel may more starkly show the color contrast - as you’ll have cool white platinum hugging the full diameter of the warmer stone. But that’s just a guess and it’s hard to say if it will bother you or not! All I can say is, embrace the tint, or don’t!

The tint is most obvious from the side and will block more of that from view.

I had to go to bed but I was dreaming of diamonds!! I'll follow up later today and see if I can get another video.

Yes, I feel the only way not to miss out is to go ahead and buy, but I don't feel comfortable doing that. Plus I don't want the diamond to be shipped to me, I need to find sides and get the setting done. No I haven't called, it's tricky timing because that is when the kids are back from school and trying to have a conversation without them yelling 'mummy' is nigh on impossible, especially when it would cost £££ per minute. I can send an email and see if anyone responds.

I'm not completely sold on the M. When it popped up on their site and I saw the still image, my heart rate went up and I was excited. I think I was expecting to be blown away when I saw the video and I was mainly left with - is the centre dark. I do like that I can see the facet pattern clearly.

Yes that's the trouble and the gamble I guess, I don't know how they would look in the bezel. The J certainly looks very white and would look very similar to my I I imagine, so feels 'safer'. The M/N would definitely be warmer but how much of a contrast is what I'm not sure of. I've seen lots of threads about warmer diamonds I've not seen many in a platinum bezel. Yes you're right of course, more colour is seen from the side and a bezel will help with that.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
The N color vendor also has 1.54 K OMC (looks like a pillowy OEC to me). Did you see that one? Maybe she could do a side by side vid for you? Unless it’s too cushiony.

Yes I did see it, very pretty but it's just over the top of my budget (for the whole ring). It is more pillowy and I think I prefer round. There is a K I might ask about but I'm sure it's sold. No harm in asking I guess. I will follow up and chase Adam too, I haven't done that yet in case I wanted to go ahead with one of the I&R options.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I had to go to bed but I was dreaming of diamonds!! I'll follow up later today and see if I can get another video.

Yes, I feel the only way not to miss out is to go ahead and buy, but I don't feel comfortable doing that. Plus I don't want the diamond to be shipped to me, I need to find sides and get the setting done. No I haven't called, it's tricky timing because that is when the kids are back from school and trying to have a conversation without them yelling 'mummy' is nigh on impossible, especially when it would cost £££ per minute. I can send an email and see if anyone responds.

I'm not completely sold on the M. When it popped up on their site and I saw the still image, my heart rate went up and I was excited. I think I was expecting to be blown away when I saw the video and I was mainly left with - is the centre dark. I do like that I can see the facet pattern clearly.

Yes that's the trouble and the gamble I guess, I don't know how they would look in the bezel. The J certainly looks very white and would look very similar to my I I imagine, so feels 'safer'. The M/N would definitely be warmer but how much of a contrast is what I'm not sure of. I've seen lots of threads about warmer diamonds I've not seen many in a platinum bezel. Yes you're right of course, more colour is seen from the side and a bezel will help with that.

Haha! We’ve all been there @Agnasia . I call it OEC fever LOL

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Agnasia, do you feel comfortable giving us an updated budget for everything (to the best of what you think it may be?) There are PSers keeping a keen lookout for you, so if you could give a quick update, so that if someone sees something, they don't have to search pages back to see if they should bring to your attention.:)

dmack

Shiny_Rock
Ooh thank you! I can see the warmth but it works well with the platinum. I have spoken to hubby again and the budget is more flexible than I thought, his words were 'be sensible'!!

Oh dear, I could stretch the definition of “sensible”…

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Is the bezeled three stone from Grays Antiques still a favorite of yours? I wonder if it makes sense for you to go see it again. You could take some pics of it next to a GIA graded stone and perhaps get measurements of the center stone?

I feel like after you get a center and two sides plus a setting the total price would be in the same vicinity as the Grays ring.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Agnasia, do you feel comfortable giving us an updated budget for everything (to the best of what you think it may be?) There are PSers keeping a keen lookout for you, so if you could give a quick update, so that if someone sees something, they don't have to search pages back to see if they should bring to your attention.:)

I think roughly around $10k, but I'm sure he would prefer less even though he's being a bit vague!

Oh dear, I could stretch the definition of “sensible”…

Ha ha I know! Maybe he's testing me....!!

Is the bezeled three stone from Grays Antiques still a favorite of yours? I wonder if it makes sense for you to go see it again. You could take some pics of it next to a GIA graded stone and perhaps get measurements of the center stone?

I feel like after you get a center and two sides plus a setting the total price would be in the same vicinity as the Grays ring.

Yes I still love that ring, but I don't know if my email exchanges with the seller have made that all a bit awkward. I have a GIA I, so I could use that, although my calipers have gone AWOL!

That has been on my mind too, although I could probably get a larger centre but not sure if it would be as white, or whether that is as a good trade of for size. I also need to factor in shipping/customs. I'm going to try and work out a rough equivalent price.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I think roughly around $10k, but I'm sure he would prefer less even though he's being a bit vague!

Ha ha I know! Maybe he's testing me....!!

Yes I still love that ring, but I don't know if my email exchanges with the seller have made that all a bit awkward. I have a GIA I, so I could use that, although my calipers have gone AWOL!

That has been on my mind too, although I could probably get a larger centre but not sure if it would be as white, or whether that is as a good trade of for size. I also need to factor in shipping/customs. I'm going to try and work out a rough equivalent price.

Worth another look see then imho. The seller will know that you are sincere if you go see it again. And the GIA I is the perfect foil to determine the color. You can loupe all three stones and hopefully get some video, especially of the center. I am curious to know the mm diameter and depth.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Worth another look see then imho. The seller will know that you are sincere if you go see it again. And the GIA I is the perfect foil to determine the color. You can loupe all three stones and hopefully get some video, especially of the center. I am curious to know the mm diameter and depth.

I will email and find out if it’s still available. I will need to try and find my callipers but I don’t have a loupe, I’ve not looked for inclusions before so not sure I trust myself to know what I’m doing!

Someone from I&R has come back to me about the inclusions, they’ve directed me to the lab reports and says they are both totally eye clean.

I also have a new video of the 1.41 M, mostly of the side so it’s difficult to gauge the centre but see what you all think.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Yeah that side profile video is frustratingly unhelpful - I guess it does help you gauge the color more!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Did you ask for just the side? Really wish you could see in various backdrops and lighting as well. That’s probably why Jon at DG is a huge plus bc he would do all that so that there is less mystery (at least based on his YouTube videos).

I don’t think I fully grasped how an M would look until at least a few days into having in my hands…I might agree with @lulu_ma suggestion to go back into the store with your I and do a compare + see what other lighting or background colors you can seek out.

Are you far from that vendor and is the return policy generous? Would you be able to put a deposit on a warm stone and take it home to see how you feel?

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Did you ask for just the side? Really wish you could see in various backdrops and lighting as well. That’s probably why Jon at DG is a huge plus bc he would do all that so that there is less mystery (at least based on his YouTube videos).

I don’t think I fully grasped how an M would look until at least a few days into having in my hands…I might agree with @lulu_ma suggestion to go back into the store with your I and do a compare + see what other lighting or background colors you can seek out.

Are you far from that vendor and is the return policy generous? Would you be able to put a deposit on a warm stone and take it home to see how you feel?

No I didn't, this is what I requested -

'Could I see a longer video with full movement of the stone, centre/top and side views? The floral centre seems to go dark, so I want to get better idea of how it looks.'

I have to say Jon has been fabulous, answered all my questions and even with it not looking like I can work with him saying that he is here for me.

I've been thinking about going back and I'm just not sure as it was left on a really awkward note. Maybe I can go elsewhere, but I always feel a bit bad as I have no intention of buying anything. Also being able to see things in daylight would be so helpful, not just the fancy lighting and I don't know of anywhere I can do that.

I know Hancocks have a return policy, but the vendor at grays doesn't have anything on his website and may take offence if I asked, just based off his response to my request for some more information on the ring. I would love to be able to play with a warmer diamond and see how I feel about it, but I just don't see that being possible in the UK. I&R have a returns policy but it means shipping back to the US and then that's just one stone, I would need to find the sides and get the setting done.

I think I'm just feeling a little despondent about it all at the moment.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
No I didn't, this is what I requested -

'Could I see a longer video with full movement of the stone, centre/top and side views? The floral centre seems to go dark, so I want to get better idea of how it looks.'

I have to say Jon has been fabulous, answered all my questions and even with it not looking like I can work with him saying that he is here for me.

I've been thinking about going back and I'm just not sure as it was left on a really awkward note. Maybe I can go elsewhere, but I always feel a bit bad as I have no intention of buying anything. Also being able to see things in daylight would be so helpful, not just the fancy lighting and I don't know of anywhere I can do that.

I know Hancocks have a return policy, but the vendor at grays doesn't have anything on his website and may take offence if I asked, just based off his response to my request for some more information on the ring. I would love to be able to play with a warmer diamond and see how I feel about it, but I just don't see that being possible in the UK. I&R have a returns policy but it means shipping back to the US and then that's just one stone, I would need to find the sides and get the setting done.

I think I'm just feeling a little despondent about it all at the moment.

Don’t despair! You actually have access to a lot more old cuts than the rest of us!

The issue is certification. Luckily, you have your GIA I as a touchstone.

Here’s another place to visit:

AC Silver seems to have a lot too but no GIA Certs.

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock

Do all the stones have to be rounds?

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Don’t despair! You actually have access to a lot more old cuts than the rest of us!

The issue is certification. Luckily, you have your GIA I as a touchstone.

Here’s another place to visit:

AC Silver seems to have a lot too but no GIA Certs.

Thank you for the boost! I've been to Farringdons, they have loads but most of their diamonds are pretty white, all the ones I tried were G/H. I asked about warmer but they don't select them to sell. I also went to A.R Ullmann and the lowest they had were J, which I was absolutely fine with.

IMG_2928.JPG

I think AC Silver are in Newcastle?

Do all the stones have to be rounds?

That three stone is really pretty, but I prefer having smaller sides. They don't all have to be rounds, I quite liked the pear cut too and really liked the round with pear sides. I think more of a three stone or centre with sides look rather than a solitaire, unless it's a really good size so it's different from my current engagement ring.

I actually tried that second one! Well sort of, the ring was too small.

IMG_8725.JPG

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
So a lovely person has stepped in to help me at I&R. I explained what I was trying to recreate and sent a photo of the three stone. She has found sides for the J. Here is a photo and a video. She has given me cost estimates too, it looking like a worst case scenario of around $8244 including the setting.

1D588693-4056-482A-A4FA-D02F88329E64.jpeg

ETA: someone is interested in one of the sides, so I would need to confirm soon I think. Having had a look at the original ring I think these sides are bigger proportionately, they are 5mm and I think I was considering 4mm. These do make a good match though as they all have similar % tables. The sides are I and centre is J.

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
This is exciting news! So strange the stone on the right looks a slightly warmer to my eye-could just be the video.

Is the center the M color? Isn’t there also a K color there that you were considering from I&R?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So a lovely person has stepped in to help me at I&R. I explained what I was trying to recreate and sent a photo of the three stone. She has found sides for the J. Here is a photo and a video. She has given me cost estimates too, it looking like a worst case scenario of around $8244 including the setting.

1D588693-4056-482A-A4FA-D02F88329E64.jpeg

@Agnasia, I'm no expert but these diamonds are looking beautiful to me. And the quote is good, right? Is the center a J? Idk, will be interesting to hear what others say but I'm thinking this might be the way to go. What are your thoughts?

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
This is exciting news! So strange the stone on the right looks a slightly warmer to my eye-could just be the video.

Is the center the M color? Isn’t there also a K color there that you were considering from I&R?

I can see what you mean, both sides are GIA graded I so it may just be the colours it is picking up?

The centre is a J (AGS report). It looks much warmer here, which is actually making me like it more! The K was from another vendor, but I have no idea if it is even available.

@Agnasia, I'm no expert but these diamonds are looking beautiful to me. And the quote is good, right? Is the center a J? Idk, will be interesting to hear what others say but I'm thinking this might be the way to go. What are your thoughts?

I think for the carat weight and colour, the quote is good. My only question is if I should ask to see slightly smaller sides as a comparison? I believe in the antique ring they are smaller?

Reminder:

IMG_1801.JPG

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
The portions look good in my eyes. What is the carat of the center? MM?

I wonder if you can ask to put the larger ones on hold and see if the have any slightly smaller sides?

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
The portions look good in my eyes. What is the carat of the center? MM?

I wonder if you can ask to put the larger ones on hold and see if the have any slightly smaller sides?

The centre is 1.24ct, measurements are 6.67 x 6.99 x 4.11.

The sides are 5.04 x 5.13 x 2.75 and 5.03 x 5.10 x 2.78.

I have asked about a photo with smaller sides to make a decision.

I have also messaged the other vendor to find out if the K is available.

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
I think you are getting super close!!!

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Would you consider double milgraining just the center stone? I think that may be a pretty look and visually make the center look a bit bigger.

Here is @sweetpea&babycorn ’s amazing OMC that is double milgrained.
50763678-317F-46F9-9F1D-5D64F51231FA.jpeg

Oh I love that ring so much! Yes double milgrain could be beautiful, then single around the sides?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results