shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you sacrifice colour in an OEC to maximise size?

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to add that when I was shopping for my first ering the vendor absolutely let me walk around and take it outside. Actually I think he told me to look a them outside and I asked if he was sure! Haha. My hands were sweating bc it was my first time diamond shopping, but just wanted to say that just because the store you went to didn’t allow that, it doesn’t mean that all stores have that policy.

Oh wow that’s amazing! What a fantastic experience!

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Just a brief update, I’m still waiting for a new video of the 1.41ct and haven’t had a response yet from OWD.

I have just had an email from Jonathon, as the AVRs are in Antwerp I have to order one to have them shipped over (he said he can have at least two of them sent together) and then he can do a comparison video for me. Sides would need to be lab as they are not cutting them in mined (minimums too high). Thoughts? Feels a bit scary to go ahead and order before seeing a video?

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Just a brief update, I’m still waiting for a new video of the 1.41ct and haven’t had a response yet from OWD.

I have just had an email from Jonathon, as the AVRs are in Antwerp I have to order one to have them shipped over (he said he can have at least two of them sent together) and then he can do a comparison video for me. Sides would need to be lab as they are not cutting them in mined (minimums too high). Thoughts? Feels a bit scary to go ahead and order before seeing a video?

Ok, so the thing with Jon is that his stones are pretty consistent because he has designed them for optimized light return and he tells his cutters to cut them a certain way. If a stone comes back that is not in line with his "formula" for lack of a better word, he won't accept it. For the OECs you get the daisy pattern or the lotus pattern. Why not look at the youtube video he has so that you can see the difference between the cuts? I think the 1.41 that you are considering seems to be exhibiting the lotus pattern. So if that stone works out, you would have 2 side matches with the lotus pattern.

If you are coming around to labs, especially for the cost he can cut the pattern to your preference - either daisy or lotus. Below is his YT video. Once you have seen how each one performs, you can be comfortable that (if you go with Jon) your stone will look the same as represented in the video. I know that you are being careful with the budget, and may not want to commit to actually ordering just yet, so this may be an option for you to at least see what they look like. The other thing is the smallest that he has on the site in earth mined OEC is a .56. Depending on the circumference of the 1.41, you may want smaller stones than this one that comes in at an avg. 5.1 or maybe you want the same size?

Either way, this particular stone is exhibiting the daisy pattern.

This 2.06 ct. is exhibiting the lotus pattern

Here is his video comparing the patterns in similar sizes

Last edited:

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Ok, so the thing with Jon is that his stones are pretty consistent because he has designed them for optimized light return and he tells his cutters to cut them a certain way. If a stone comes back that is not in line with his "formula" for lack of a better word, he won't accept it. For the OECs you get the daisy pattern or the lotus pattern. Why not look at the youtube video he has so that you can see the difference between the cuts? I think the 1.41 that you are considering seems to be exhibiting the lotus pattern. So if that stone works out, you would have 2 side matches with the lotus pattern.

If you are coming around to labs, especially for the cost he can cut the pattern to your preference - either daisy or lotus. Below is his YT video. Once you have seen how each one performs, you can be comfortable that (if you go with Jon) your stone will look the same as represented in the video. I know that you are being careful with the budget, and may not want to commit to actually ordering just yet, so this may be an option for you to at least see what they look like. The other thing is the smallest that he has on the site in earth mined OEC is a .56. Depending on the circumference of the 1.41, you may want smaller stones than this one that comes in at an avg. 5.1 or maybe you want the same size?

Agree with this! I haven’t bought from him personally but have engaged in a few conversations and have spent hours looking at his cuts.

Look at all his old and new Instagram and YouTube posts and videos of the AVRs and whatever you can find by searching here in PS to be completely sure that you love it. Once you’re comfortable with that you should be able to trust that he will deliver a diamond that passes his internal standard. I came extremely close to making a purchase but only changed my mind when I decided I wanted an omc versus modern antique cushion.

I hope to see one of his cuts in real life one day…

I’ve had nothing but great customer experience even though it did not end up in a purchase.

Excited to see what you decide!

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock

Lots to consider! Yes of course all the diamonds will have optimal light performance so there isn’t the deviation you get in antiques. I will have a look at his videos, I think initially the lotus grabbed me as it’s that typical floral pattern I like, but I’ve realised one of the rings I’ve always admired on PS is the daisy (HS4S_2’s Casablanca)!! Thank you for the images and video link. I might also trying zooming in on the diamonds I tried on that I loved, to see if they have similar patterns.

I’m still not wholly certain how I feel about labs, I think I feel more comfortable with them being side stones rather than the whole ring. They seem to come in whiter colours and just wondering if they can come warmer to match the AVR or 1.41, but I will ask Jonathan. The 1.41 is around 7mm so I was thinking of 4mm sides to get the proportions I am after? I think 5mm would be too big and mined AVRs wouldn’t be in budget. Another alternative I guess would be a mined AVR centre and antique OECs for the sides, but I’m assuming matching them up would be tricky.

This looks promising and is a great price

I’d ask for vids maybe

Oh thanks so much for the spot! I will ask for a video but I don’t think I will get anything back until Monday now (I’m so impatient!)

Agree with this! I haven’t bought from him personally but have engaged in a few conversations and have spent hours looking at his cuts.

Look at all his old and new Instagram and YouTube posts and videos of the AVRs and whatever you can find by searching here in PS to be completely sure that you love it. Once you’re comfortable with that you should be able to trust that he will deliver a diamond that passes his internal standard. I came extremely close to making a purchase but only changed my mind when I decided I wanted an omc versus modern antique cushion.

I hope to see one of his cuts in real life one day…

I’ve had nothing but great customer experience even though it did not end up in a purchase.

Excited to see what you decide!

Thank you so much, I definitely love a bit of research so will do a lot of reading and watching this weekend! It’s just a shame that I can’t see them in real life, although Antwerp isn’t that far away and definitely closer than the US!!

It’s so hard to know what the “best” option would be and it’s all so incredibly subjective. What I do know is that I probably won’t get another big piece for a very long time, so I want to get this right. Thank you to everyone for your insight and advice so far, it’s been invaluable.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
So I’ve zoomed in on my photos, apologies the quality is not the best.

These were the diamonds that stood out to me most. The top 1.77ct from Hancocks looks to be close to the AVR daisy pattern, which is interesting. The three stone from grays antiques is harder to see as my photos aren’t that sharp, but I would say more of a pinwheel pattern in the centre?

7CA35FC0-9C47-458E-8490-8C906401EBD1.jpeg

I would also say the rose cut three stone is still somewhere in the mix, I can perhaps ask for a daylight video of the ring to get a truer representation of how it would perform?

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I want to make sure that you know that when I asked if you were more open to labs, I only meant for the side stones, not the whole ring being labs.
I think the lowest color Jon does in the labs is H, but "fact check me" on that one:)

You bring up a great point about the color differences. Some people like the look of color differences in the center vs. side stones. Maybe ask Jon how the contrast would be. In mined he's got an H and an N, which would be a little warmer than the M you are considering. If you get a setting more like the top one where the side stones are angled away, the color differences may not be so in your face head on vs. the style of the second pic where everything is on the same plane.
I agree that the top one seems to look like the daisy! It is beautiful!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Agnasia, I think you should ask for a daylight video of the rose cut! I like that ring lol.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Ok, I want to make sure that you know that when I asked if you were more open to labs, I only meant for the side stones, not the whole ring being labs.
I think the lowest color Jon does in the labs is H, but "fact check me" on that one:)

You bring up a great point about the color differences. Some people like the look of color differences in the center vs. side stones. Maybe ask Jon how the contrast would be. In mined he's got an H and an N, which would be a little warmer than the M you are considering. If you get a setting more like the top one where the side stones are angled away, the color differences may not be so in your face head on vs. the style of the second pic where everything is on the same plane.
I agree that the top one seems to look like the daisy! It is beautiful!

Ha ha yes ok, I’ve got you! I just spoke to hubby about lab vs mined and his opinion was if it’s essentially the same thing but cheaper then great I have replied to Jon to ask how warm his labs would be and how they would sit with the centre. I hadn’t thought about the angles of the setting, so thank you for picking up on that!

The top one was a total sparkle bomb and really wowed me, which is what got me thinking about AVRs and knowing you’re going to get something that performs, especially if I don’t get to see the diamonds in person before making a decision.

@Agnasia, I think you should ask for a daylight video of the rose cut! I like that ring lol.

Aah thank you! Yes I think it’s still a good option, it’s the style I love, happy with the size, colour and clarity are great too. It definitely shimmers rather than flashes, but I was quite mesmerised by it and love how unique it is.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@Agnasia is this going to be a “forever” ring or do you ever think you would ever possibly trade it in?

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
@Agnasia is this going to be a “forever” ring or do you ever think you would ever possibly trade it in?

That’s a good question! It’s definitely a “for the long term” ring. I probably wouldn’t trade it in, but that’s not to say I wouldn’t get anything else in the future, but to save my husband’s sanity I think it would need to be a pretty long time in the future!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
That’s a good question! It’s definitely a “for the long term” ring. I probably wouldn’t trade it in, but that’s not to say I wouldn’t get anything else in the future, but to save my husband’s sanity I think it would need to be a pretty long time in the future!

I only ask because the lab market is ever evolving. The lab prices are going to continue to come down. I mean, there are already some amazing deals already!

25D18D3E-9311-4F44-8379-6D4FF1A8AAF0.jpeg

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
I only ask because the lab market is ever evolving. The lab prices are going to continue to come down. I mean, there are already some amazing deals already!

25D18D3E-9311-4F44-8379-6D4FF1A8AAF0.jpeg

Wow! No wonder his stuff sells out instantly! Definitely labs are a growing and evolving market.

I’ve heard back from Jon and he said his lab melee is G+ and sometimes H but not below as the colours come out brown or grey. I’m not totally clear on how they would look together with the centre though.

For the centre I am looking at a L and two N AVR’s, with Jon saying the N’s benefit from the optics which enhances colour perception. I would need to choose one to order but pick the top two. These are the ones I’m considering-

A83678B3-54C9-4512-BF09-AF047E5A4B9C.jpeg

Lots to think about!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! No wonder his stuff sells out instantly! Definitely labs are a growing and evolving market.

I’ve heard back from Jon and he said his lab melee is G+ and sometimes H but not below as the colours come out brown or grey. I’m not totally clear on how they would look together with the centre though.

For the centre I am looking at a L and two N AVR’s, with Jon saying the N’s benefit from the optics which enhances colour perception. I would need to choose one to order but pick the top two. These are the ones I’m considering-

Lots to think about!

Can you ask for the AGS reports on the 3 AVRs so that you can at least take a look at the exact stats? With ideal cuts like AVRs, you can probably eliminate one based on the reports. Eliminating one should be easier than picking one.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Can you ask for the AGS reports on the 3 AVRs so that you can at least take a look at the exact stats? With ideal cuts like AVRs, you can probably eliminate one based on the reports. Eliminating one should be easier than picking one.

Here they are -

49F0F11C-8756-4554-B933-84C39B7F3385.jpeg

Let me know what you think! And thank you

Attachments

• 10CC3629-E55A-48CF-8B8C-2629885C665C.jpeg
    10CC3629-E55A-48CF-8B8C-2629885C665C.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 99D5D062-FF3E-4384-8AC3-4A778B0E9EC4.jpeg
    99D5D062-FF3E-4384-8AC3-4A778B0E9EC4.jpeg
    321.3 KB · Views: 6

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@Agnasia the AVR cut is perfection. Just keep in mind that AVRs tend to face up their actual color grade.

Also, have Jon put your favorite center next to a lab H color side stone and to see if you like the color disparity.

Last edited:

AL12

Shiny_Rock

Lots to think about!

Sorry I can’t analyze much but I feel a little concerned about color disparity of an L/N center and only as warm as H sides. But let’s see what Jon can show you for side by side view and what he thinks!

Excited on how your journey is progressing whether or not you choose to go with AVRs :)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Sorry I can’t analyze much but I feel a little concerned about color disparity of an L/N center and only as warm as H sides. But let’s see what Jon can show you for side by side view and what he thinks!

Excited on how your journey is progressing whether or not you choose to go with AVRs :)

I agree. I would not make this match at all, truthfully. It wouldn’t matter how bright and perfect the cut was.

From the side and even from the top, it will be conspicuous. Unless you have a really deliberate contrast, it doesn’t look intentional…it just looks like a bad match. Having a very high colored stone next to a lower stone will just emphasize the tint.

I’d highly encourage staying within 1-2 color grades for a 3 stone. I’ve had an E color center and uncerted sides, and they were 1-2 shades warmer.

Even with that disparity I’d catch whisper of the color difference. And the larger the stones, the more obvious color differences are.

Sometimes with wonkier old antique rings it seems to not matter as much and becomes part of the charm, but with precision cut stones…seems incongruent.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
@Agnasia the AVR cut is perfection. Just keep in mind that AVRs tend to face up their actual color grade.

Also, have Jon put your favorite center next to a lab H color side stone and to see if you like the color disparity.

The trouble is that to do this I would need to pay for one for it to be shipped. If I don’t like the colour match I’m not sure what I can then do? I might ask Jon if has a photo/video example of something similar.

That’s the quandary now, sounds like the colours won’t match and I’d have to pay to ship over the stone and see what it would look like.

I agree. I would not make this match at all, truthfully. It wouldn’t matter how bright and perfect the cut was.

From the side and even from the top, it will be conspicuous. Unless you have a really deliberate contrast, it doesn’t look intentional…it just looks like a bad match. Having a very high colored stone next to a lower stone will just emphasize the tint.

I’d highly encourage staying within 1-2 color grades for a 3 stone. I’ve had an E color center and uncerted sides, and they were 1-2 shades warmer.

Even with that disparity I’d catch whisper of the color difference. And the larger the stones, the more obvious color differences are.

Sometimes with wonkier old antique rings it seems to not matter as much and becomes part of the charm, but with precision cut stones…seems incongruent.

I totally take all of this on board, sounds like the colours just won’t work.

So options are to look at higher colour AVRs which either means blowing the budget or a much smaller centre. Alternatively I could get one of the lower colour centres and source lower colour OECs to sit with it, but would that be odd mixing precision and old cuts together?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
In terms of color-AVRs are precision cut so the face up colors should be more consistent.

Just ask Jon to take a pic of any in stock AVR L or N next to a G color so you can see the difference. Like these two for example…

In terms of cut, I think it would be challenging to match a precision cut center to a well matched antique euro pair or vice versa-but that’s just me. A cut disparity may not bother your eyes.

That said, I do have a lead on a antique old euro pair. But personally I wouldn’t pair them with a center any warmer than a J/K color.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
In terms of color-AVRs are precision cut so the face up colors should be more consistent.

Just ask Jon to take a pic of any in stock AVR L or N next to a G color so you can see the difference. Like these two for example…

In terms of cut, I think it would be challenging to match a precision cut center to a well matched antique euro pair or vice versa-but that’s just me. A cut disparity may not bother your eyes.

That said, I do have a lead on a antique old euro pair. But personally I wouldn’t pair them with a center any warmer than a J/K color.

I will ask Jon, but I know he can’t use that N as that is one of the diamonds I’m considering. Actually all the diamonds are listed as in house, so will see what he can has to hand. Just from seeing the pictures next to each other I’m not keen.

The cut disparity, I’m not sure how much it would bother me. I guess it’s hard without seeing them side by side. However, I do like BrownGinger’s three stone and her sides are bigger than what I am planning.

4C6C7B58-DFA7-497C-86A3-45248A54772F.jpeg

Ooh interesting, although most of the centres I’m considering are warmer than J/K, unless the I&R stone looks promising.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I will ask Jon, but I know he can’t use that N as that is one of the diamonds I’m considering. Actually all the diamonds are listed as in house, so will see what he can has to hand. Just from seeing the pictures next to each other I’m not keen.

The cut disparity, I’m not sure how much it would bother me. I guess it’s hard without seeing them side by side. However, I do like BrownGinger’s three stone and her sides are bigger than what I am planning.

4C6C7B58-DFA7-497C-86A3-45248A54772F.jpeg

Ooh interesting, although most of the centres I’m considering are warmer than J/K, unless the I&R stone looks promising.

BrownGinger’s ring is so pretty. Based on her pics I think her sides have a nice cut. This is a great example of a color disparity between the center and side stones. Also, note that the sides are angled out a bit-I’m not sure if your bezeled sides will be more on the same plane as the center stone.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
BrownGinger’s ring is so pretty. Based on her pics I think her sides have a nice cut. This is a great example of a color disparity between the center and side stones. Also, note that the sides are angled out a bit-I’m not sure if your bezeled sides will be more on the same plane as the center stone.

@AL12 @lulu_ma and @Cerulean all make good points. Also, Brownginger’s sides were not certed and estimated to be K/L… most likely L. So the color difference was L(warm ivory/vanilla) to O. If the lowest that lab AVRs can be is H (which will be pretty white), H to L or H to N will be more of an obvious contrast. If you want it to look purposeful, H to N actually may be the way to go but if you want it to blend in, I don’t think these matches will work.

I would definitely reach out to I and R for that J Cerulean posted. It does look like it will have potential and it will most likely be a better match for H sides. Also, you started this thread because you wanted to maximize size and that one faces bigger than all of the 3 AVRs.

ETA: Here is a pic that @Cerulean posted. This is probably similar to how the AGS H AVRs would look next to AGS N AVRs but still not as purposeful. It’s a 2 tone look that you will either love or hate.
A7EEDBBB-C832-4581-AD4E-386E1DFC621F.jpeg

Last edited:

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock

Yes that's a good point and they are not in bezels, which may enhance the colour difference too.

@AL12 @lulu_ma and @Cerulean makes good points. Also, Brownginger’s sides were not certed and estimated to be K/L… most likely L. So the color difference was L(warm ivory/vanilla) to O. If the lowest that lab AVRs can be is H (which will be pretty white), H to L or H to N will be more of an obvious contrast. If you want it to look purposeful, H to N actually may be the way to go but if you want it to blend in, I don’t think these matches will work.

I would definitely reach out to I and R for that J Cerulean posted. It does look like it will have potential and it will most likely be a better match for H sides. Also, you started this thread because you wanted to maximize size and that one faces but bigger than all of the AVRs.

Aah yes, that's true, so it may be a more subtle colour disparity. I'm not sur eI want an obvious colour difference.

I found this video of his that shows a H next to a M, which I imagine would be similar to a G and a L, with a N an even greater difference so I'm not sure this is the right route for me. Unless I can find some well cut OECs in warm colours to match to the L or N.

I have already sent I&R an email so hopefully they will see it tomorrow. Yes thanks for reminding me! Sometimes you lose sight of what you were trying to do in the first place :lol-2:

I'm wondering if I should chase up OWD as well? I sent an email on Wednesday and haven't heard anything yet. I have seen a lovely diamond on his website, but it's way over budget and would only leave $1000 for sides and setting (still warm though, a L)!!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Yes that's a good point and they are not in bezels, which may enhance the colour difference too.

Aah yes, that's true, so it may be a more subtle colour disparity. I'm not sur eI want an obvious colour difference.

I found this video of his that shows a H next to a M, which I imagine would be similar to a G and a L, with a N an even greater difference so I'm not sure this is the right route for me. Unless I can find some well cut OECs in warm colours to match to the L or N.

I have already sent I&R an email so hopefully they will see it tomorrow. Yes thanks for reminding me! Sometimes you lose sight of what you were trying to do in the first place :lol-2:

I'm wondering if I should chase up OWD as well? I sent an email on Wednesday and haven't heard anything yet. I have seen a lovely diamond on his website, but it's way over budget and would only leave $1000 for sides and setting (still warm though, a L)!!

Please note that Monday is a holiday in the US! So unfortunately, you most likely won’t hear back until Tuesday local time!

Definitely pursue OWD! If you do the sides and the setting through OWD, Adam may be able to dig out a decent deal for you on the sides where you may still be over budget by a smidge but may be doable for you.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

Oh-tomorrow is Labor Day in the US so you may not hear back until Tuesday. For OWD, he might be easier to reach via Insta DM’s.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Please note that Monday is a holiday in the US! So unfortunately, you most likely won’t hear back until Tuesday local time!

Definitely pursue OWD! If you do the sides and the setting through OWD, Adam may be able to dig out a decent deal for you on the sides where you may still be over budget by a smidge but may be doable for you.

Oh-tomorrow is Labor Day in the US so you may not hear back until Tuesday. For OWD, he might be easier to reach via Insta DM’s.

Thank you both for letting me know, I had no idea. Also Sara from I&R goes on holiday on the 8th for most of the month, so if I want one of their stones I would need to confirm by Wednesday as everything goes on pause.

I will chase OWD up, he seems likely to be able to do it all - centre, sides and setting. I will mention that diamond to him and see if I get a response or try insta. It’s going to be hard for me to wait!!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Keep in mind these videos are in optimal lighting to enhance the stones and emphasize how bright even an M can be so in other lighting environments the difference will be more pronounced. While these AVRs are astoundingly bright and well cut...a tint is a tint. To @Muluver 's point, if the N/H combo is something you do, I'd do 2 toned metal. Sounds like that isn't a good fit, it's definitely a more funky look! (I love funky, but that's def not for everyone!)

FYI Adam from OWD is really responsive on Instagram in my experience. That's where we did 98% of our communication! He is also off Fridays/Saturdays.

Keep in mind it is a holiday weekend in the U.S., so I'd expect communications to be slower as many jewelers are closed for the weekend.

I am also very excited for you to learn more about the I&R stone...I have a good feeling about that one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results