shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you sacrifice colour in an OEC to maximise size?

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock

Top middle finger is over budget but they have a layaway plan + accept trade ins if you have anything to offer :)

Sorry not entirely sure what kind of setting you are envisioning but the only three stone OECs I know off hand are the type of settings that I like :D

Thank you, I really appreciate the spots!

This is what I am looking for (I think!)….

3C5CDBCE-AD70-4D96-BEE5-F9E28F545466.jpeg

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Yes I think it’s been a real shock to him and it’s taken time for it to all sink in. He does trust me and knows I wouldn’t overspend.

Yes thank you, I will focus on what I like but I also want to make sure it’s not something he hates! There is a balance to be found. I still think I love the three stone OEC bezel from grays the most. I am keen on bezels as they are smoother and more practical (no prongs to get knocked or catching on things) and love the look. I would do the ring in platinum so I can wear it with my wedding band.

I have seen that ring thank you, it’s beautiful but not completely what I am looking for, plus I suspect it would be over budget. I hope someone gets it though as it’s lovely.

Yes I think OWD would be a good option as he has a big inventory. I’m also looking at I&R as they seem to have very keenly priced OECs but not sure if they would be able to create the setting I am after?

I did for a while consider lab, but I’m not sure they’re mind clean for me. Also I think it would mean going to DG which isn’t so much cheaper in the end.

Got it! Thanks for re-summarizing all that! All valid I’ll keep my eyes out for a bezeled three stone oec in platinum or minimum WG (def think a platinum setting would push up the price another level as well)

I can tell we both think carefully about our options with the budget we have :)

If you really do decide on a solitaire I do think a beautiful one can be found with your budget! I would let the experts do the searching of course!

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Got it! Thanks for re-summarizing all that! All valid I’ll keep my eyes out for a bezeled three stone oec in platinum or minimum WG (def think a platinum setting would push up the price another level as well)

I can tell we both think carefully about our options with the budget we have :)

If you really do decide on a solitaire I do think a beautiful one can be found with your budget! I would let the experts do the searching of course!

Thank you! Yes definitely have to think carefully!

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
I have videos of four different diamonds - could I get some feedback on them, do any have potential? I asked for the videos to be taken in daylight by the office window.

Diamond 1 - 1ct M VVS2

Diamond 2 - 1.41ct M VS2

Diamond 3 - 1.24ct K VS1

Diamond 4 - 1.29ct M VS1

Thank you!

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
I have videos of four different diamonds - could I get some feedback on them, do any have potential? I asked for the videos to be taken in daylight by the office window.

Diamond 1 - 1ct M VVS2

Diamond 2 - 1.41ct M VS2

Diamond 3 - 1.24ct K VS1

Diamond 4 - 1.29ct M VS1

Thank you!

Hopefully someone else can weigh in with more info. I struggled watching because there is barely any movement or straight on views, plus no side views. The 1.41 was the only one that has a noticeable floral pattern to me. That’s about all I could discern.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Need the experts to chime in. To my eyes, the 1ct and the 1.41 look better than the last two. I agree that the 1.41 has a nice flower pattern, but unsure (need the experts here) whether there is sufficient on/off. At one point, it kinda looks like the center goes dark all at once, but not sure if it is just the angle. For the 1 ct. I like the twinkle, though it reads a bit transitional to my eyes. But, those are just my unexpert thoughts.....:)Staying tuned to see what the OEC whisperers think!

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @RetroQT and @luvmysparklies. I’m struggling a little too, so hoping for far more experienced eyes to give some advice. The 1.41 has a floral pattern, but yes I was worried about it going all dark in the centre.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Is it worth asking for any more videos or photos of these diamonds, or should I just pass on all of them?

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
Is it worth asking for any more videos or photos of these diamonds, or should I just pass on all of them?
I’d ask for a bit longer video with full movement of the stone, center/top, and side views of the 1.4 mainly to see what happens with that floral center.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
I’d ask for a bit longer video with full movement of the stone, center/top, and side views of the 1.4 mainly to see what happens with that floral center.

Thank you ☺️

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Agree with RetroQT. Also, maximize the screen and slow down the speed at which the video plays once you get new videos, so you can really have a good look. Also, ask if there are any inclusions that break through to the surface and their location and if so, see if you see them in the new video.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Agree with RetroQT. Also, maximize the screen and slow down the speed at which the video plays once you get new videos, so you can really have a good look. Also, ask if there are any inclusions that break through to the surface and their location and if so, see if you see them in the new video.

Thank you so much for the tips, will do! I have also emailed OWD to see what they have.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I do like the video of the 1.41. It reminds me of Distinctive Gems newly cut oec in the lotus pattern as opposed to the flower pattern that they offer. But this one was cut looong ago.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I think we are in very similar situations! My husband is shocked at the cost but at the same time I realize these blingy things are pricey so I get sticker shock with him…but since he knows I’m a research nut and cautious with finances he’s giving me a bit more free reign to determine the budget.

He also prefers solitaires and not too blingy but I think he’s learned over the years that I have a strong aesthetic preference and it doesn’t fare well when I am unhappy with the outcome of a certain look or design :D

Anyhow I would like to gently suggest design wise that you try and get what you want and what makes YOU happy. You will be the one staring at your hand and while he will probably just see it flash here and there. Mine will give his honest opinions on his preferences but say at the end of the day it’s my choice. Sometimes it drives me mad!!! But he’s probably just wisened up to exempt himself from getting in trouble in case things go south :D

Sorry if I misread or missed some posts but you want white gold and a three ring OEC right? I do not know how much she’s selling her ring but have you seen this ring? It may be over budget… but it may not??

Have you considered OWD? He made a fantastic trilogy for @Daimond-Friend and was well within budget similar to yours.

And lastly have you considered lab/man made OECs? IMO lab OECs have been looking great! Lab OMCs are another story…

I inquired about the MLA (bc of this thread). Unfortunately, it’s about double your ideal budget :/

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
I do like the video of the 1.41. It reminds me of Distinctive Gems newly cut oec in the lotus pattern as opposed to the flower pattern that they offer. But this one was cut looong ago.

Yes I do see that! Absolutely, this is an original.

I inquired about the MLA (bc of this thread). Unfortunately, it’s about double your ideal budget :/

Oh you’re so kind, thank you. I did suspect it would be massively over budget!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Diamond 1 - 1ct M VVS2

Diamond 2 - 1.41ct M VS2

Diamond 3 - 1.24ct K VS1

Diamond 4 - 1.29ct M VS1

Thank you!

i'll go in order

1 carat - looks like more of a transitional, has a big table. not my favorite - pass

this 1.41 is really pretty. it has a distinct floral pattern, which i like. id get more videos of this one, very promising. agree w/ others looks a lot like the DG heritage OEC. has the most obvious body color IMO but only you can decide if that matters. some of the facets go off at the same time, however, ive seen an OEC like this IRL - when they go "on" it sort spins around in circle in a really charming way. this would not be a dealbreaker for me - get more vids

1.24 K something funky is happening with the table. not nearly as clear and crisp as the 1.41 - pass

1.29 my least fave. looks like lots of messiness and can't make out the pattern. seems to be quite glittery - almost like a jubilee cut (not suggesting it is) - if you like a clearer pattern id skip - pass

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Need the experts to chime in. To my eyes, the 1ct and the 1.41 look better than the last two. I agree that the 1.41 has a nice flower pattern, but unsure (need the experts here) whether there is sufficient on/off. At one point, it kinda looks like the center goes dark all at once, but not sure if it is just the angle. For the 1 ct. I like the twinkle, though it reads a bit transitional to my eyes. But, those are just my unexpert thoughts.....:)Staying tuned to see what the OEC whisperers think!

i noticed this too. i wonder if its reflection...need more videos

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
i'll go in order

1 carat - looks like more of a transitional, has a big table. not my favorite - pass

this 1.41 is really pretty. it has a distinct floral pattern, which i like. id get more videos of this one, very promising. agree w/ others looks a lot like the DG heritage OEC. has the most obvious body color IMO but only you can decide if that matters. some of the facets go off at the same time, however, ive seen an OEC like this IRL - when they go "on" it sort spins around in circle in a really charming way. this would not be a dealbreaker for me - get more vids

1.24 K something funky is happening with the table. not nearly as clear and crisp as the 1.41 - pass

1.29 my least fave. looks like lots of messiness and can't make out the pattern. seems to be quite glittery - almost like a jubilee cut (not suggesting it is) - if you like a clearer pattern id skip - pass

Thank you so much for this detailed feedback, it really helps. I wasn’t sure if it was just me and my inexperienced eyes, as they weren’t grabbing me, with the exception of the 1.41.

I have asked for another video of the 1.41 so we shall see!

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m not an expert, but with the videos provided the 1.4 looks nicest to me

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for this detailed feedback, it really helps. I wasn’t sure if it was just me and my inexperienced eyes, as they weren’t grabbing me, with the exception of the 1.41.

I have asked for another video of the 1.41 so we shall see!

I was thinking about your quest (overall look, Hubby concerns about budget) and something came to me. I know that you were not really leaning toward Lab diamonds. However, I wonder if it would be an option to getting a pair of matching labs for your side stones? I am not trying to urge you into something you really don't want if your mind is made up not to go the lab route. But, if this stone works out, and you have yet to make a setting and get the 2 side stones, I wanted to circle back to this possible option for you. I mentioned earlier that I think that 1.41 in the video looks like one of Distinctive Gem's patterns ( I think it looks like his lotus) Jonathan will definitely work with a budget you set. You could choose between size options that will best accentuate the center stone/stay within a certain budget and he really does maximize as much size as possible for your given budget. This might also give you some breathing room to have the setting made.

Anyway, just a thought! :)

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
I was thinking about your quest (overall look, Hubby concerns about budget) and something came to me. I know that you were not really leaning toward Lab diamonds. However, I wonder if it would be an option to getting a pair of matching labs for your side stones? I am not trying to urge you into something you really don't want if your mind is made up not to go the lab route. But, if this stone works out, and you have yet to make a setting and get the 2 side stones, I wanted to circle back to this possible option for you. I mentioned earlier that I think that 1.41 in the video looks like one of Distinctive Gem's patterns ( I think it looks like his lotus) Jonathan will definitely work with a budget you set. You could choose between size options that will best accentuate the center stone/stay within a certain budget and he really does maximize as much size as possible for your given budget. This might also give you some breathing room to have the setting made.

Anyway, just a thought! :)

Thank you, I sincerely appreciate all suggestions. It’s funny you mention this as I was looking at DG for their AVRs. Reason being, I noticed that it was by far the cut of the OECs that excited me and the flashes of light. As everyone has pointed out, that is all under optimal jewellery lighting so I was starting to wonder how to find a diamond that performs strongly outside of that environment for my budget.

I’m still not sure how I feel about lab, but it’s something worth considering. But, say this stone works, it has a similar pattern but won’t have the same light performance I would imagine? Would the sides then outperform the centre?

Is Jonathon happy to work with an outside stone? I was thinking of sending him an email anyway.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, I sincerely appreciate all suggestions. It’s funny you mention this as I was looking at DG for their AVRs. Reason being, I noticed that it was by far the cut of the OECs that excited me and the flashes of light. As everyone has pointed out, that is all under optimal jewellery lighting so I was starting to wonder how to find a diamond that performs strongly outside of that environment for my budget.

I’m still not sure how I feel about lab, but it’s something worth considering. But, say this stone works, it has a similar pattern but won’t have the same light performance I would imagine? Would the sides then outperform the centre?

Is Jonathon happy to work with an outside stone? I was thinking of sending him an email anyway.

I’ll be honest and I know people feel differently on this forum, I’d only source stones from him. I’d get a setting made elsewhere…

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
I’ll be honest and I know people feel differently on this forum, I’d only source stones from him. I’d get a setting made elsewhere…

Aah ok thank you. Would it be straight forward enough to get the stones shipped elsewhere and who would be happy to set outside stones?

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock

Well, if the stone under consideration is a winner, it will perform extremely well. There are stones out there that were cut over a hundred years ago that the cutter just knew what they were doing and can rival the newly cut optimized stones. Exactly mimic? Perhaps not, but they can stand on their own just as well, trust on this. Also, if you do consider lab side stones just remember that the side stones would be smaller, Yes, they will perform, but their performance is not going to over shadow another well performing stone that is larger and is optimized in its own right from a cutter long ago. If anything, the smaller "supporting actors" will volley the light back and forth, and you'd see just bling. Not, here is my optimized newly cut, oh and now here is my optimized old cut.
I am linking again one of my faves, an old euro, cut century ago that shows what a master cutter back in the day was capable of.

Look at Cerulean's new ball of fire.
One of my faves was Fortekitty's holy grail.

The old well cut/well performing stones are out there:)

Last edited:

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Well, if the stone under consideration is a winner, it will perform extremely well. There are stones out there that were cut over a hundred years ago that the cutter just knew what they were doing and can rival the newly cut optimized stones. Exactly mimic? Perhaps not, but they can stand on their own just as well, trust on this. Also, if you do consider lab side stones just remember that the side stones would be smaller, Yes, they will perform, but their performance is not going to over shadow another well performing stone that is larger and is optimized in its own right from a cutter long ago. If anything, the smaller "supporting actors" will volley the light back and forth, and you'd see just bling. Not, here is my optimized newly cut, oh and now here is my optimized old cut.
I am linking again one of my faves, an old euro, cut century ago that shows what a master cutter back in the day was capable of.

Look at Cerulean's new ball of fire.
One of my faves was Fortekitty's holy grail.

The old well cut/well performing stones are out there:)

It helps to put everything in context, thank you. I just wasn’t sure how they would sit together but you’re right, they are there to support the main stone.

Oh my that pebble and polish stone is incredible!!!❤️

Cerulean’s new ring is just stunning and Forttekitty’s - wow! I totally know there are beautifully cut and great performing old stones, it’s just whether my small budget can get anywhere close to getting such a beautiful one.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
It helps to put everything in context, thank you. I just wasn’t sure how they would sit together but you’re right, they are there to support the main stone.

Oh my that pebble and polish stone is incredible!!!❤️

Cerulean’s new ring is just stunning and Forttekitty’s - wow! I totally know there are beautifully cut and great performing old stones, it’s just whether my small budget can get anywhere close to getting such a beautiful one.

A most resounding YES, you can get something absolutely stunning within your budget!!!

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
A most resounding YES, you can get something absolutely stunning within your budget!!!

Thank you! That feels very reassuring.

I am going to ask about the AVRs I’ve seen, but also about lab sides just to get an idea, then I know about all of the options.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
The more you see the more you will discover and learn about your own preferences. A well cut L may be more beautiful to you than a mushy I. But also try to figure out how long you will be “ok” with the lower color. I bought a stunning K, but over time (took about 4 years) I started not liking the tint. A gorgeous OEC will always grab you at first sight with its huge flashes. You fall hard fast (the hot guy/girl). But you need more time to get to know all aspects of the stone. In the perfect lighting, I had no complaints about my K. But it was in dimmer lighting that I wanted it to be brighter, grab my attention. And I didn’t love the tint I saw in darker light (which is how real life is.). How many of us walk around with a lighting system for our diamonds. I even changed the lightbulb to white light in my family room, and it still wasn’t bright enough. Then I switched back to an E MRB, cause I’m extreme. ;-). But I would consider another OEC someday. But I know I need an I-J, and I may go for idea cut, but those are my issues. Whichever stone you choose try to see it in all lighting environments and if you have a chance to wear for a couple days around your house, then take that opportunity to be picky. Good luck!

Im going to chime in and say I agree with this sooo much about the 'over time' aspect. I have an "L", i really wanted a H, I or J but honestly got sick of looking and missing out on the 'perfect' ones that sold within an hour from the popular vendors, my engagement was being held up while I looked LOL

I actually kind of have the opposite issue as far as when i see the color, it looks absolutely terrible in a jewelry store and usually at the beach in the super bright sun. In general, in my day to day life, any time i look at it, it's white to me. I LOVE it's character and its perfect (IMO) facets and small culet. There are times I wish it was better color, because I hate the moments when it looks 'dirty', but I am scared to give up this stone because I love the facets and culet.

A wise PSer once told me, "you just have to see it [old cuts], you can't pick from a picture or video, if it speaks to you, it's your stone" and i guess thats where I was. Money was a factor for me, too. I am unwilling to pay more, I am a saver. I dont find worth or value in it. I didnt want to spend $10k more to get the same exact stats but J instead of L, it wasnt worth it to me. Everyone has what they're willing to pay for something, and I just wasnt willing to pay more for my diamond.

I clean my ring every single day, i take pictures of it every single day. I love it, and in the moments that it looks a little dirty due to the lower color I look away and remind myself no one cares... it's 8mm on my 'giant' body, it's tiny, no one notices it LOL

Anyway, best of luck on your search, i cant wait to see what you choose! I love that you posted so much eye candy! I am enjoying your journey! I LOVE that tiffany band that had the 2 rows with the stones in the center

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Im going to chime in and say I agree with this sooo much about the 'over time' aspect. I have an "L", i really wanted a H, I or J but honestly got sick of looking and missing out on the 'perfect' ones that sold within an hour from the popular vendors, my engagement was being held up while I looked LOL

I actually kind of have the opposite issue as far as when i see the color, it looks absolutely terrible in a jewelry store and usually at the beach in the super bright sun. In general, in my day to day life, any time i look at it, it's white to me. I LOVE it's character and its perfect (IMO) facets and small culet. There are times I wish it was better color, because I hate the moments when it looks 'dirty', but I am scared to give up this stone because I love the facets and culet.

A wise PSer once told me, "you just have to see it [old cuts], you can't pick from a picture or video, if it speaks to you, it's your stone" and i guess thats where I was. Money was a factor for me, too. I am unwilling to pay more, I am a saver. I dont find worth or value in it. I didnt want to spend $10k more to get the same exact stats but J instead of L, it wasnt worth it to me. Everyone has what they're willing to pay for something, and I just wasnt willing to pay more for my diamond.

I clean my ring every single day, i take pictures of it every single day. I love it, and in the moments that it looks a little dirty due to the lower color I look away and remind myself no one cares... it's 8mm on my 'giant' body, it's tiny, no one notices it LOL

Anyway, best of luck on your search, i cant wait to see what you choose! I love that you posted so much eye candy! I am enjoying your journey! I LOVE that tiffany band that had the 2 rows with the stones in the center

Thank you for the insight, it really helps to hear others experiences. Interesting how differently everyone perceives colour, it’s a shame you can’t choose a piece from a shop and wander around seeing it in different lighting situations! It definitely helped seeing different colour grades and OECs in reality but that again is different from everyday life. Money is also a factor for me and I know I will have to have a warmer stone to achieve what I want in terms of size/cut. I was really fine with the N in the shop but of course that is in their beautiful lighting.

Thank you and you’re welcome, I’m glad you’ve enjoyed it thus far! Tiffany have some really lovely things.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the insight, it really helps to hear others experiences. Interesting how differently everyone perceives colour, it’s a shame you can’t choose a piece from a shop and wander around seeing it in different lighting situations! It definitely helped seeing different colour grades and OECs in reality but that again is different from everyday life. Money is also a factor for me and I know I will have to have a warmer stone to achieve what I want in terms of size/cut. I was really fine with the N in the shop but of course that is in their beautiful lighting.

Thank you and you’re welcome, I’m glad you’ve enjoyed it thus far! Tiffany have some really lovely things.

Just wanted to add that when I was shopping for my first ering the vendor absolutely let me walk around and take it outside. Actually I think he told me to look a them outside and I asked if he was sure! Haha. My hands were sweating bc it was my first time diamond shopping, but just wanted to say that just because the store you went to didn’t allow that, it doesn’t mean that all stores have that policy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results