shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you sacrifice colour in an OEC to maximise size?

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
The vendor of the O-P has come back, they can’t go outside as they are on a busy street but they have done a video in direct daylight from the office. The diamond looks really pretty and I feel I can see more of the colour now, although as noted you can only tell so much and the lighting has a huge impact.

Oh my! The floral center. :kiss2::kiss2:

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Looks like it’s this one

7.37 x 6.82 x 4.96 - good size!

Oh yes thank you! It’s gorgeous but my hubby is having a wobble over diamond prices, think it’s all finally sinking in, so I think this one will be beyond our budget (which we’re yet to agree!)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The vendor of the O-P has come back, they can’t go outside as they are on a busy street but they have done a video in direct daylight from the office. The diamond looks really pretty and I feel I can see more of the colour now, although as noted you can only tell so much and the lighting has a huge impact.

I does look very pretty in this video! I'm sorry if I missed this, but do you know the carat weight?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

This is quite pretty. Very nice size. You could easily plop 2 little side stones next to it!

Note though they many facets turn “on and off” at the same time - only you can decide if you like that style of OEC.

I also find that not all tints are equal. This one may lean a little greenish / brown / yellow but it’s hard to say - can you see IRL and return?

I like strongly tinted stones but after seeing multiple low colored stones IRL found that even a whisper of brown / green leaning didn’t suit me. I needed pure yellow tones. It’s a personal preference tho.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
This is quite pretty. Very nice size. You could easily plop 2 little side stones next to it!

Note though they many facets turn “on and off” at the same time - only you can decide if you like that style of OEC.

I also find that not all tints are equal. This one may lean a little greenish / brown / yellow but it’s hard to say - can you see IRL and return?

I like strongly tinted stones but after seeing multiple low colored stones IRL found that even a whisper of brown / green leaning didn’t suit me. I needed pure yellow tones. It’s a personal preference tho.

The vendor has a good returns policy so that’s plus en a possibility, but it is shipping from US to UK and then back again, so not particularly cheap and straight forward. It would be good to see it in real life, as yes I agree not all tints are necessarily the same.

However, that would mean having the setting made here in the UK which would probably work out much more expensive. But then if I have the diamond set before being shipped I’m not sure what the policy would be on returning it.

Lots to mull over!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
You’re in a great position because you can look at warmer stones locally before you make a purchase!

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
You’re in a great position because you can look at warmer stones locally before you make a purchase!
Yes. And you can decide what tones and limits of tint are your sweet spot.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
I emailed the vendor about the specs of the three stone ring, essentially what he has said is that the diamonds are white and clean and that they wouldn’t want to damage the setting by removing the diamonds, which I totally understand. However, he has said that having specs only applies to modern diamonds rather than old cuts. He said it all comes down to trust.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock

Yes that’s true although I’m off on holiday on Saturday, so I won’t be able to have a look until after we’re back. Will just have to hope the diamond doesn’t sell!

Yes. And you can decide what tones and limits of tint are your sweet spot.

I do think this is important, although it will be a week until I’m able to go and do some more research.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I emailed the vendor about the specs of the three stone ring, essentially what he has said is that the diamonds are white and clean and that they wouldn’t want to damage the setting by removing the diamonds, which I totally understand. However, he has said that having specs only applies to modern diamonds rather than old cuts. He said it all comes down to trust.

Wow. That doesn’t make sense because I’m sure he used modern diamond pricing to help calculate what he would list that ring for.

He said that the center is “about a carat.” He’s actually priced the ring with a one carat center. If the center is in fact least than one carat then the $8396 that he is is asking is very high.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Wow. That doesn’t make sense because I’m sure he used modern diamond pricing to help calculate what he would list that ring for.

He said that the center is “about a carat.” He’s actually priced the ring with a one carat center. If the center is in fact least than one carat then the $8396 that he is is asking is very high.

Yes that's what I thought, how do you price the rings otherwise? I wasn't really sure how to respond!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Honestly that’s a ridiculous answer. His asking price is high. He can still take measurements and have it appraised by a third party to estimate specs. You’re looking to assess cut with your eyes but want to understand color and clarity to assess whether you’re getting a good value which is perfectly reasonable.

I guess it comes down to how much you want the ring

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Honestly that’s a ridiculous answer. His asking price is high. He can still take measurements and have it appraised by a third party to estimate specs. You’re looking to assess cut with your eyes but want to understand color and clarity to assess whether you’re getting a good value which is perfectly reasonable.

I guess it comes down to how much you want the ring

I'm glad I didn't have an irrational response and feel a bit gutted to be honest. I may go back and gently press. I think the price is high and as hubby is still coming to terms with diamond pricing, I'm not sure it's a realistic proposition. More likely to try and recreate once I know my colour preferences.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad I didn't have an irrational response and feel a bit gutted to be honest. I may go back and gently press. I think the price is high and as hubby is still coming to terms with diamond pricing, I'm not sure it's a realistic proposition. More likely to try and recreate once I know my colour preferences.

Sometimes even if a ring or stone is a perfect fit in many respects, other forces come into play. In my search, I have fallen in love with stones where the vendor had something priced unreasonably high and was unwilling to negotiate (or send to GIA...and it was a 3-carat diamond...the nerve!!!!), or was difficult to work with, or the piece itself got snatched up...etc. If you fell in love once, you can fall in love again. At a certain point, you'll have to cut your losses and really identify what you liked about that ring in particular. Truth be told, I was worried the center wouldn't be big enough for you in the long run anyways. All I can say is, fixating on it as "the one that got away" is an exercise in futility and will dampen an already emotional process. (Not saying you're doing that, it was just a lesson learned for me)

All this is to say, that sometimes even if it seems right, it's not right for you. Your stone, your ring, is out there! And I totally get the challenge with your husband. It took a loooong time to help my frugal husband understand. Way back before we got engaged, he threw out a budget of 2k but he also wanted me to have a mined diamond...:???: *gulp*....it was out of pure naivety. I had no clue how totally unrealistic that budget was until I actually dug in. And then I helped him realize that the budget would barely cover a setting! So now, a few years later, my newest ring is maaany times the original budget! LOL :bigsmile: So, it is possible. Convincing someone versus actually buying within your means are 2 different things.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Last soapbox moment, that vendor really is full of it IMO. It actually makes me a bit mad that he said that to you, whether he means to be shady or not. If he wants to participate in a sales culture that more closely resembles wheeling and dealing, or putting pressure on you to buy blind, he's operating under an archaic model.

We live in the digital age where transparency and information-sharing go hand in hand with consumption. If he doesn't want to play ball and join the party, that's his prerogative. I personally wouldn't do business with him. A vendor is never going to be nicer or more agreeable than they are before they make a sale :)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry @Angasia - yeah, a vendor can basically ask whatever they want if there's no grading report. There's no info about clarity or color to figure out if it's a fair price. He might not want to risk damaging the setting by removing the diamond but he could at least supply an independent appraisal so a buyer has some idea of what they're buying. I guess some vendors just don't want to bother or pay for an appraisal. They figure eventually someone will buy it for their asking price.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Sometimes even if a ring or stone is a perfect fit in many respects, other forces come into play. In my search, I have fallen in love with stones where the vendor had something priced unreasonably high and was unwilling to negotiate (or send to GIA...and it was a 3-carat diamond...the nerve!!!!), or was difficult to work with, or the piece itself got snatched up...etc. If you fell in love once, you can fall in love again. At a certain point, you'll have to cut your losses and really identify what you liked about that ring in particular. Truth be told, I was worried the center wouldn't be big enough for you in the long run anyways. All I can say is, fixating on it as "the one that got away" is an exercise in futility and will dampen an already emotional process. (Not saying you're doing that, it was just a lesson learned for me)

All this is to say, that sometimes even if it seems right, it's not right for you. Your stone, your ring, is out there! And I totally get the challenge with your husband. It took a loooong time to help my frugal husband understand. Way back before we got engaged, he threw out a budget of 2k but he also wanted me to have a mined diamond...:???: *gulp*....it was out of pure naivety. I had no clue how totally unrealistic that budget was until I actually dug in. And then I helped him realize that the budget would barely cover a setting! So now, a few years later, my newest ring is maaany times the original budget! LOL :bigsmile: So, it is possible. Convincing someone versus actually buying within your means are 2 different things.

Yes and I need to remind myself of the stories I’ve read on here where rings/diamonds have been missed out on and then they’ve gone on to find something even better. I was surprised how deflated I felt when I read that response, so maybe emotions have been mixed in. Thank you for the advice I appreciate it.

Oh I’m glad you understand the husband perspective! He is always frugal even when we don’t need to be! I think we’re on a learning curve and the best way is not to pile on the pressure around it as it’s overwhelming him a little. I think if I asked him right now for a budget it would probably be the same as he spent on my original ring!! Good to know it can be done though! Even though I know what we could spend, even I wouldn’t want to push it that far. I want something I am comfortable wearing all the time, don’t have to overly baby or leave at home because it feels like too much.

Last soapbox moment, that vendor really is full of it IMO. It actually makes me a bit mad that he said that to you, whether he means to be shady or not. If he wants to participate in a sales culture that more closely resembles wheeling and dealing, or putting pressure on you to buy blind, he's operating under an archaic model.

We live in the digital age where transparency and information-sharing go hand in hand with consumption. If he doesn't want to play ball and join the party, that's his prerogative. I personally wouldn't do business with him. A vendor is never going to be nicer or more agreeable than they are before they make a sale :)

Ha ha go ahead! Sadly it has put me off. He was lovely to chat to and has really beautiful jewellery to sell, but I don’t think what I was asking for was unreasonable. That is very true and I have to say the O-P diamond vendor has been excellent and whilst I may lose out on that stone while I’m away, I will definitely consider them when I am ready to go ahead.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry @Angasia - yeah, a vendor can basically ask whatever they want if there's no grading report. There's no info about clarity or color to figure out if it's a fair price. He might not want to risk damaging the setting by removing the diamond but he could at least supply an independent appraisal so a buyer has some idea of what they're buying. I guess some vendors just don't want to bother or pay for an appraisal. They figure eventually someone will buy it for their asking price.

Yes absolutely and so difficult to know if the price, as you say, is fair. At least one of the other vendors in there had certificates for all their pieces, so it’s not an alien concept.

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Hi @Agnasia I am afraid this is common practice here in the uk.

Most diamonds in retail stores in the uk are not graded, it’s a totally different culture to the US. So I can see why the vendor is saying this. I don’t agree with it but I can see why.

I think until UK consumers demand a better service it will continue this way!

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Hi @Agnasia I am afraid this is common practice here in the uk.

Most diamonds in retail stores in the uk are not graded, it’s a totally different culture to the US. So I can see why the vendor is saying this. I don’t agree with it but I can see why.

I think until UK consumers demand a better service it will continue this way!

Oh thanks for the cultural perspective, it helps to put it all in context. Although most shops I’ve been in have the carat weight labelled. He did to be fair on the solitaires and verbally told me the centre was just over a carat, but whether that’s 1.01 carat or 1.09 carat who knows.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh I’m so sorry you had this experience after I recommended you try there @Agnasia
I personally would not press any further with this, but if you did want an antique ring (diamond and setting) anchor cert do appraisals for antiques so he could have sent it there.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Oh I’m so sorry you had this experience after I recommended you try there @Agnasia
I personally would not press any further with this, but if you did want an antique ring (diamond and setting) anchor cert do appraisals for antiques so he could have sent it there.

Oh no don’t worry, he had really lovely things to look at and it was very helpful. It’s good to know that anchor cert will do appraisals on antiques.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, I’m back from holiday but haven’t had a chance to go and look at warmer stones yet. I am hoping I’ll get a chance at some point this week. Of course the O-P diamond sold while I was away!

I saw this ring on IG just now (need to stop late night scrolling!!) and wondered what your thoughts are. It’s 1.16ct, measures 6.78 x 6.78 x 4, colour G/H and VS1 although it doesn’t seem to have a cert so I guess that’s an in-house estimate. It’s in a bezel so I’m aware there may be chips or other issues that are covered up. It’s a very good price and looks like it has the flowery facets I like although the table looks a bit big and it doesn’t have a puffy crown. Probably not big enough as a solitaire but could be part of a three stone, although it would be sacrilege to remove it from an original setting.

Still haven’t agreed a budget although hubby does seem to be warming up to the idea.

Video links

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Hmm...I am not sure if it just the video, but the faceting on this stone looks a little mushy to me.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Sorry not crazy about this one to be honest.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too fell in love OECs due to PS, and love wonky ones with characters like the ones I have seen at Ivy and Rose.

Happy to go down in colour and clarify to maximise the carat size.

DK :))

Update on my hunt for an OEC - I am prepared to go as low as O/P in colour as well as lower clarity as long as it does not resemble frozen spit to maximise the carat size, now looking at around 1ct range.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Update on my hunt for an OEC - I am prepared to go as low as O/P in colour as well as lower clarity as long as it does not resemble frozen spit to maximise the carat size, now looking at around 1ct range.

:lol-2:Ooh interesting, did you go and see some irl? I’m also considering lower clarity after seeing what can be sourced and achieved. The O-P I was looking at was from I&R, they always seem to have some goodies.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results