shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you sacrifice colour in an OEC to maximise size?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like there’s more nuance in the O-P and the N seems flatter somehow, not sure if that makes any kind of sense though!! Is it worth asking for another video just of the O-P?

I think it's worth it! Yes, the larger table of the N might be making a difference. I do think the facets of the OP are turning on and off as the stone is moved, and that's a good sign, imo anyway!

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
I think it's worth it! Yes, the larger table of the N might be making a difference. I do think the facets of the OP are turning on and off as the stone is moved, and that's a good sign, imo anyway!

Ok great, I will ask and thank you!

dmack

Shiny_Rock
So interesting, the N almost looks like a maltese cross in the middle!

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
I am back from Grays Antiques! It was very interesting and helpful. Thank you again to @RosieR for the recommendations. All of the vendors were lovely and chatty, one showed me how to use a loupe (I’ve only used one once before).

So I am definitely not keen on transitionals and I’m getting good at picking them out! I like old mine cuts, but I really love flowery OECs! I tried cushions and emeralds but keep coming back to rounds.

I tried on different styles - cluster, ornate settings but I found them too much.

7A097C4D-0CBD-43A1-AF62-112C967855C1.jpeg

I also tried different sizes from 1.08ct all the way up to 2ct! I feel like I probably need at least 1.3ish, ideally more like 1.5ct and I can actually rock a 2ct!!

6AC2F036-85A0-4BBD-921F-7DE7963BB8F8.jpeg

While I loved the size and setting of the 2ct (bottom right from the above pic), the tapered shank is pretty and works well with my band, I didn’t actually love the diamond itself.

2015C9C2-FB0E-4F60-BAB1-F04427F66EE7.jpeg

I didn’t find many warm diamonds, the vendors told me they choose the higher colours, so that was disappointing.

I did find one ring I loved though and the centre was “only” around 1ct. It’s a beautiful three stone with a delicate milgrain bezel. I have never found a three stone I like before, it may be the bezel or the proportions but I also love the cut of the diamonds. The facets were so pretty to my eye at least, although it didn’t seem to have a poofy crown. It also seems to work with my wedding band, I tried a solitaire in a bezel and there was too big a gap for my liking.

A3381185-9C5D-4E6C-B831-3E7DE8B33FAE.jpeg

Here is a link to a video

The vendor got a good fire shot!

1D3844D3-00AE-4E06-9024-4BA94BDF8439.jpeg

What are your thoughts?

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
I’m not usually a three stone girl, but that one pairs beautifully with your band!! :kiss2: Do you have details on the stones?

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
I’m not usually a three stone girl, but that one pairs beautifully with your band!! :kiss2: Do you have details on the stones?

Not I’m not usually either! I’m kicking myself now, but no I don’t have details other than the centre is just over one carat.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Agnasia, I was going to throw out the idea of a 3 stone for the extra coverage. The one you tried on is so pretty and looks substantial on your hand. Love that setting too. And it does look great with your band!

It's too bad you weren't able to see warmer diamonds but it's great you got to try on different styles and stone sizes.

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
Do they have a website? Maybe they have it listed with details?

And did you feel a connection to any of them?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The solitaire in the upper right corner looks good to my eye! Diamond looks nice and I like the size on you.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Oh, that three stone! :love:
For me, the loveliest of the options and it's a protective mount. I am biased as I love three stones. I wear one as my own e-ring, but with a spinel. I'm also an outlier in that I want my antique stones to have some major tint to them so none are in my color range.
The other solitaire stones aren't grabbing me particularly. I also agree with you that the taper setting is beautiful on you, so if you do buy an individual stone I would have a setting like the taper made for it. How was the pricing? Some shops are much more expensive than others.
Have you also looked at Old World Diamonds? They can find you options as they have so many.
@Daimond-Friend just had them make her a three stone in her budget that is spectacular!

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
@Agnasia, I was going to throw out the idea of a 3 stone for the extra coverage. The one you tried on is so pretty and looks substantial on your hand. Love that setting too. And it does look great with your band!

It's too bad you weren't able to see warmer diamonds but it's great you got to try on different styles and stone sizes.

Yes I love the setting and it does give me more coverage. I'm so surprised as I haven't come across any three stone irl that I have particularly liked!

Do they have a website? Maybe they have it listed with details?

And did you feel a connection to any of them?

Yes I've had a look but it's not on there, it's on their instagram but along with other rings as a new arrival post. I can call and ask though.

There were so many beautiful solitaires and some really pretty diamonds, but the one that has stuck in my head is the three stone. Perhaps because it is more unique looking? However, I do love the setting of the 2ct.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
The solitaire in the upper right corner looks good to my eye! Diamond looks nice and I like the size on you.

Yes I liked that one, this is the profile.

I also liked this one

8267E269-B08E-416D-B00D-6EEED8FCB5FE.jpeg

Attachments

• EBD488A2-CA26-4E5B-9CED-2176A97CAA01.jpeg
    EBD488A2-CA26-4E5B-9CED-2176A97CAA01.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 22

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Oh, that three stone! :love:
For me, the loveliest of the options and it's a protective mount. I am biased as I love three stones. I wear one as my own e-ring, but with a spinel. I'm also an outlier in that I want my antique stones to have some major tint to them so none are in my color range.
The other solitaire stones aren't grabbing me particularly. I also agree with you that the taper setting is beautiful on you, so if you do buy an individual stone I would have a setting like the taper made for it. How was the pricing? Some shops are much more expensive than others.
Have you also looked at Old World Diamonds? They can find you options as they have so many.
@Daimond-Friend just had them make her a three stone in her budget that is spectacular!

I know, it's so lovely! Also exactly what I'm looking for in terms of coverage but also easy to wear. Yes I agree a taper setting would definitely be on my list if I go the solitaire route.

Pricing was much better than Hatton Garden and willing to negotiate a little on price. The three stone if I convert it to USD is $8396, the 2ct is $19328 and a 1.5ct is $10811, so all way over what I would want to spend. The more affordable were the smaller carat solitaires which were around $6000.

I have looked on Old World Diamonds website before but I will have another look. Oh I haven't seen that thank you, I will have a look at her three stone!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have looked on Old World Diamonds website before but I will have another look. Oh I haven't seen that thank you, I will have a look at her three stone!

my understanding is that everything isn't on their website so maybe contact them directly and ask what they have. I'm sure they could make a three stone like what you tried on, which, by the way, is my favorite.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yay! I’m so glad you got there (I recognise Mr Joseph’s fingers!) so glad you were able to have a good look round and narrow down what you like. That’s part of the problem solved.

Yes I agree with the others the 3 stone looks really good on your hand. The setting is just beautiful. I don’t know if anyone even does milgrain bezels that delicate any more. Well, not in the uk anyways!

It maybe worth reaching out to Adam of Old world diamonds to see his pricing for a warmer coloured 3 stone of similar proportions. I have been in contact with him in the past, very friendly helpful and patient. I however, ended up buying in the uk, as in my case, the pricing was better here.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
my understanding is that everything isn't on their website so maybe contact them directly and ask what they have. I'm sure they could make a three stone like what you tried on, which, by the way, is my favorite.

Ok thank you, yes I might do that. I am starting to think that a three stone is the way to go!

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Yay! I’m so glad you got there (I recognise Mr Joseph’s fingers!) so glad you were able to have a good look round and narrow down what you like. That’s part of the problem solved.

Yes I agree with the others the 3 stone looks really good on your hand. The setting is just beautiful. I don’t know if anyone even does milgrain bezels that delicate any more. Well, not in the uk anyways!

It maybe worth reaching out to Adam of Old world diamonds to see his pricing for a warmer coloured 3 stone of similar proportions. I have been in contact with him in the past, very friendly helpful and patient. I however, ended up buying in the uk, as in my case, the pricing was better here.

Ha ha yes that was him! It really did help.

Yes it's so delicate, that's partly why I love it so much.

It seems Old World Diamonds is probably the next port of call, but I may try and pin hubby down on budget first!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I have had a new video sent through of the O-P diamond. It doesn’t seem so tinted to me?

Oh the OP looks promising! But, hopefully, you can see some warmer stone irl.

Btw, I'm loving your research-for me, the research is half the fun!

If you want to nerd out a bit, this is an inexpensive color grading set I got on Ebay… C08BD793-402A-446B-A5EA-5EAE4D4BFD83.jpeg

Last edited:

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Oh the OP looks promising! But, hopefully, you can see some warmer stone irl.

Btw, I'm loving your research-for me, the research is half the fun!

If you want to nerd out a bit, this is an inexpensive color grading set I got on Ebay… C08BD793-402A-446B-A5EA-5EAE4D4BFD83.jpeg

Yes it does look pretty. I'm not sure how I will see warmer stones though which makes things more difficult.

I love a bit of research too!

Oh that looks fab, I was considering getting a loupe as I've got myself a ring sizer and a measuring tool already :lol-2:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I found you a 1.7 ct N color to go look at! Not for the price but for research purposes.

If you go, you might as well look at this L color, too.

They also have larger N and QR colors, too!

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Ok, I found you a 1.7 ct N color to go look at! Not for the price but for research purposes.

If you go, you might as well look at this L color, too.

They also have larger N and QR colors, too!

Oh these are beautiful! Thank you, it’s actually not far from where I was today. Will have to see when I can get there.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have had a new video sent through of the O-P diamond. It doesn’t seem so tinted to me?

Do remember that how the diamond appears in video strongly depends on the lighting conditions and time of day. It looks as if this was taken under strong florescent lighting which would make it appear whiter/ higher up the scale
I personally always ask for photos taken outdoors (preferably on a slightly cloudy day) to try and get a good representation of what I’m getting.
I’m sorry if this has been mentioned before, is there a certification for this stone?

Edited to add:
Guy Burton at Hancocks has GIA graded old cut stones so it would be good to have a look to train your eye on colour. The prices are, well, let’s say Mayfair worthy :/

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oooh looks promising! RosieR is right though, these warmer diamonds look different depending on the lighting conditions. Checking the ones out that lulu_ma posted will help you decide.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Do remember that how the diamond appears in video strongly depends on the lighting conditions and time of day. It looks as if this was taken under strong florescent lighting which would make it appear whiter/ higher up the scale
I personally always ask for photos taken outdoors (preferably on a slightly cloudy day) to try and get a good representation of what I’m getting.
I’m sorry if this has been mentioned before, is there a certification for this stone?

Edited to add:
Guy Burton at Hancocks has GIA graded old cut stones so it would be good to have a look to train your eye on colour. The prices are, well, let’s say Mayfair worthy :/

Oh ok thank you! Yes I should have considered lighting. I will see if they will do me one more video! It has a GIA cert (O-P VS2).

Thanks for the tip, that sounds like the perfect place for me to go and check colour. Just not sure if I’ll get in to London before I go on holiday, I’ll see.

Oooh looks promising! RosieR is right though, these warmer diamonds look different depending on the lighting conditions. Checking the ones out that lulu_ma posted will help you decide.

Yes I want to make sure I’m seeing a true representation. I will try and do that soon.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
This is an OMC but it’s just so pretty!

8CE81990-14DF-4E8E-BB84-6159A1385DF2.jpeg

Last edited:

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
This is an OMC but it’s just so pretty!

8CE81990-14DF-4E8E-BB84-6159A1385DF2.jpeg

That’s a really pretty diamond! I wonder what the measurements are as I guess it will face up smaller due to being an old mine cut? I’ve sent the post on to my hubby.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.

My sweet spot for color is G, regardless of cut.

Oh and for the zillionth time, you can't judge diamond color by pics.
Many things affect how a pic looks.

Pics lie, even when a skilled photographer with the best gear tries to tell the truth.

Grading diamond color is the job of a reputable lab like GIA or AGS.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
The vendor of the O-P has come back, they can’t go outside as they are on a busy street but they have done a video in direct daylight from the office. The diamond looks really pretty and I feel I can see more of the colour now, although as noted you can only tell so much and the lighting has a huge impact.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results