shape
carat
color
clarity

Will these stones make good studs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Harriet, in all honesty, I''m a little worried about you. Pleas don''t be offended by any of this, ok?
17.gif
I am truly concerned for you because you seem a bit obsessed.

In the past 3-4 months, you''ve gone from a 0.41-carat Tiffany Lucida to a 3.6-carat diamond e-ring. You''ve obsessed about HW drop earring studs, the Chanel Camelia Ring and/or Pendant, a tsavorite/Leon Mege ring, a Leon Mege setting for your e-ring (which your not sure you will keep) and diamond studs. You''ve purchased a Cartier Trinity Ring and a Franck Muller watch. To my knowledge, you are in your 20''s and you''re not dying. You''ve never worn much jewelry in the past.

You are concerned that the diamond tennis bracelet and diamond studs that your parents gave to you are too small/girlish.

Perhaps our value systems are different, but this seems like an awful lot in a very short period of time, particularly for such a young person. It sounds like you are on a bit of a materialistic bender. Perhaps, in the Year of the Golden Pig you''ve been very fortunate, but it sounds excessive. I''m fine with it all, if everything else is in check - you are saving for your future - a house/condo, your children, your retirement, your passions. However, you need to be very careful about your job and how you are perceived.

It just seems as though you are insatiable about jewelry and as soon as you get one thing, you want another. Like, there is some kind of competition out there to get as much as possible. I am concerned on several levels. Are you compensating somehow for another issue? Are you insecure? How does your fiance perceive all of this? How are your work colleagues and superiors perceiving the material acceleration? Are they jealous? Are you seen as a "short-timer" once your wedding happens? Really, what is driving you?

The studs are great and I''d get them before buying the HW earrings. They are a great birthday present and getting upgradeable stones is definitely the way to go. I''m a firm believer in rewarding yourself. I believe no one is going to treat you well unless you treat yourself well. However, I just want to make sure you aren''t suffering a downward addictive spiral. There will always be people with better/bigger jewelry than you and people with less. What is important is the milestone behind the reward, otherwise, it''s just empty materialism.

If everything is ok with you, that''s great. I just want to bring your attention to the fact that your behavior seems a bit obsessive, even to me, a jewelry fanatic. What will be left to buy when you are 30 or 40, or when you have your first child or your second?

Please don''t get me wrong Harriet. I have my fair share of jewelry, but I have acquired it over time. I''ve bought the best I can afford after saving up for months/years. You may be different - perhaps you received an inheritance or won the lottery. But the materialism will affect the people around you and how you are perceived, and perhaps not for the better. I mean no harm - I''m truly concerned for you, as a friend.
5.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Starryeyed,

How sweet of you! Please be assured that I'm perfectly fine (I waited 6 years for the e-ring upgrade). Now that we have some money and are financially secure, we're treating ourselves. Also, we have several major milestones to commemorate. As for the office, only the e-ring, watch and future studs will ever be seen there. I'd love to have you as a real, not just virtual, friend!
1.gif

PS. I'm afraid you've underestimated my age.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Starry, I have been sort of dancing around the same thing for a while too.

Harriet, it seems to me that every day I see another post about something new, something you want to buy. Yet you say you are in a conservative office environment, so you do not wish to come across in the wrong way. You also said you work a lot so I am wondering when you are going to wear some of this stuff. Honestly, I am 41 and I have a lot of jewelry and bags and things, but I did not get it all within a short time frame. I would likely be a bit concerned about being able to keep up with the demand and the need to constantly have something else, something new if I were your fiance. There are many things to save for in life, a home, nice vacations, college for your children. Gratification is fine, we all want what we want, but still there must be a balance too, and the enjoyment of an item should linger a bit, not be immediately supplanted with something new. My background in psychology would lead me to think that maybe you are trying to fill a hole of some kind with this constant stream of purchases...I do not want to make assumptions and I do not want to offend you, I do not even know you except for what you post here, but yet it seems pretty clear. You have a long time to get many wonderful things, things you will love and enjoy. To me, I would have skipped some of the this and that stuff and gotten the FM diamond watch. Then, for a little bit of money I would go out and by a small, simple stainless steel Michelle watch, which I would wear to the office. I would not be wasting anyone's time on settings until I have a stone I knew I was going to keep for the long haul, and I would get a nice pair of studs that could be upgraded in the future...forget those HW earrings, if they were not in HW I doubt anyone would look twice at them. I think you need to really slow down and assess things, Harriet, because this is a trap which is hard to get loose from and a cycle that is hard to break. It can cause major problems in the future. Just food for thought, and I hope you will take it in the spirit it was intended.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 9:15:52 PM
Author: Harriet
What do you think of a diamond-pearl-diamond drop earring? Alternatively, a diamond-pearl-diamond ring (I''ll then have 2 similar rings)?
Harriet my sister just did this for her 50th and the guests all ''kindly''
2.gif
put in to get the pearl drops. She has I think 1.2 carats in each ear not really awesome quallity I believe but added these stunning antique pearl drops. Gee I wish I had a photo but anyhoo they were stunning . Albeit very very heavy and not for long tem wear but still a delicious alternative.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
What do you think of a diamond-pearl-diamond drop earring? Alternatively, a diamond-pearl-diamond ring (I''ll then have 2 similar rings)?
2.gif
put in to get the pearl drops. She has I think 1.2 carats in each ear not really awesome quallity I believe but added these stunning antique pearl drops. Gee I wish I had a photo but anyhoo they were stunning . Albeit very very heavy and not for long tem wear but still a delicious alternative.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to echo what has already been said. Although more eloquently than I probably can. Many have been concerned, and think all of this is well kind of out of control. So many threads, so many acquisitions, it''s been hard to keep track. I never would want to offend, so please take this as another poster that is concerned. We want to make sure all is ok with you. You have plenty of time to acquire these things, there is so much ahead for you. Your wedding, your job, and well life. So hope this is recieved in a positve way, as that''s my intention is writing it.
1.gif
Lisa

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF, Lisa,

How kind of you both! Again, please be assured that I'm perfectly fine. We did come into some money recently, most of which we are hoarding. We're thirty-something DINKs who spent the last decade frugally. As for the re-set, do understand that I would have done it only if the head could have been re-used.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am glad to hear that, not that it is my business ultimately, but I have a bit of a shopping issue and I know that it is tough to differentiate sometimes, between something we really will be happy with and just scratching an itch. Enjoy your things in the best of health...that is the most important thing!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF,

Thank you again for expressing your concern. You might be surpirsed to learn that shopping is not my favourite pasttime -- curling up at home with a good book is. Also, one of the milestones we are celebrating is my recovery from illness.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 10:37:51 PM
Author: katebar

2.gif
Wish you had a picture too!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is why I said the most important thing is to have health...nothing is worth anything if you are not well. I am glad to hear you are recovering and I hope you are feeling well!!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you.
1.gif
I''ve gone through some tough times recently.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will have to say that these forums do contribute to addictive behavior! I imagine there are a fair number of regulars who can confess to working on a project or two since the holidays!
2.gif

But I am happy for Harriet that she has the good fortune of being able to enjoy this hobby at a younger age than many of us!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you, DS! More importantly, as DF highlighted, I'm even more thankful to have my health back.
26.gif

P.S. My fiance is ok with my new hobby. He's begun collecting antiques himself. In fact, he looks for jewellery to add to my wishlist!

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
Dear Harriet, DF, Kaleigh & Starryeyed,

May I just add that I think the 4 of you are outstanding women. Many of us joke about being addicted to bling and I just wanted to really salute all of you for your tact and obvious concern. And Harriet, I am impressed by your willingness to hear the concerns voiced and to explain enough within your comfort zone to allay those concerns. You are fine examples of how PS should work.

To your health,
Martha

elle

Shiny_Rock
Yiou ladies here are so sweet to watch out for each other! "Enablers" with a heart and conscience! How sweet!

I''m glad you are well Harriet and having a spot of well deserved indulgence and I hope you get to keep wearing your well earned pieces in good health!

My 2c - pass on the HW like DF said(Ita - she has AWESOME taste!). I would however, go for bigger studs. Mine are 1.5ctw though, I have small lobes, I can barely spot them through my long hair. My ideal size - 2.5 - 3 ctw set - substantial yet still subtle. Esp. if you wear little else in terms of jewellery. Not in my budget now though so I shall have to live vicarously through everyone else!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bluehue, thank you for being compassionate too. I hesitated to voice my concerns, but was coming from a place of caring.

Harriet, I am sorry to hear you were ill and I am glad to hear all is well now. You and your fiance will have some nice things to show for this windfall, art and antiques are a favorite of mine too, but I admit I know next to nothing about either, just what I like! Be well, and enjoy your new baubles!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 10:16:13 PM
Starryeyed,
How sweet of you! Please be assured that I'm perfectly fine (I waited 6 years for the e-ring upgrade). Now that we have some money and are financially secure, we're treating ourselves. Also, we have several major milestones to commemorate. As for the office, only the e-ring, watch and future studs will ever be seen there. I'd love to have you as a real, not just virtual, friend!
1.gif

PS. I'm afraid you've underestimated my age.
Harriet, I'm glad to hear you are financially secure and HEALTHY! Too bad we don't live closer.

I know, on one level, the PS community is supportive, but on another level, all the diamond talk can really foster an obsession. I just wouldn't want to see that happen to you! Shortly after I became aware of you on PS, I remember a post, back in January probably, where you said you didn't care much for pendants, bracelets, or RHR's. However, now you seem to be a lot more interested in these pieces. It's like a subtle seduction, and it seemed to be happening dangerously fast to you. I'm not much help because I tend to "enable", but I wanted to take a step back for a reality check.

I'm sorry if I misjudged your age, but I thought I remembered something about you being in your 20's. We all wish we were! Maybe it's because you said you're an "associate". You seemed exploratory about your career, entertaining the LLM idea, thinking about different kinds of law, etc. so it reinforced the idea for me.

Since you are healthier now, I hope you and your fiance take advantage - go horseback riding, rock climbing, or something that really reminds you that you are alive and well!

Please stay well and be careful with all the projects/purchases!
1.gif

PS - Thanks BlueHue and Elle!
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 11:49:55 PM
Author: bluehue

May I just add that I think the 4 of you are outstanding women. Many of us joke about being addicted to bling and I just wanted to really salute all of you for your tact and obvious concern. And Harriet, I am impressed by your willingness to hear the concerns voiced and to explain enough within your comfort zone to allay those concerns. You are fine examples of how PS should work.

To your health,
Martha
Thanks bluehue, we just spoke from the heart. And thanks Elle
1.gif
Harriet I am so glad you are well after a long illness. After all, having your health is everything in life. May you continue to be well, you have a full life ahead.
1.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
And thanks, Elle, too!
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 11:49:55 PM
Author: bluehue

To your health,
Martha
Martha,
Many thanks! It is strange for me to reveal so much, but I feel that I''m amongst friends here.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 12:21:17 AM
Author: elle
Yiou ladies here are so sweet to watch out for each other! ''Enablers'' with a heart and conscience! How sweet!

I''m glad you are well Harriet and having a spot of well deserved indulgence and I hope you get to keep wearing your well earned pieces in good health!

My 2c - pass on the HW like DF said(Ita - she has AWESOME taste!). I would however, go for bigger studs. Mine are 1.5ctw though, I have small lobes, I can barely spot them through my long hair. My ideal size - 2.5 - 3 ctw set - substantial yet still subtle. Esp. if you wear little else in terms of jewellery. Not in my budget now though so I shall have to live vicarously through everyone else!
Elle,
Many thanks to you too!
So... pass on the HW but wait for bigger studs... Now, what should I have for my birthday?
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF, Lisa,

Please keep your fingers crossed for me. I'm not entirely well yet, but I WILL be.

Starryeyed,
It really is a pity we don't live closer. No worries about misjudging my age. I do, afterall, look very young.
17.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet,

I am sorry you were ill but more importantly am glad that you're better.

I was very touched to read about others' concerns for you. The PS community is obviously a very caring one. I am sorry I kind of half-jokingly/ halff-seriously nudged you in the direction of buying some more diamonds. I guess I am a bit diamond-obsessed but I am 41 and DH and I have acquired all larger purchases, like our home and have built up a fair reserve/ investment portfolio. I guess I wasn't being as conservative and thoughtful as some of the other ladies have. It's good to have people look out for you.

Anyway, wear your jewellery in good health.
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Lien, please don't apologise. We really are financially secure. In fact, we might be making our biggest purchase soon -- a Manhattan condo! My other half is an investment professional, so we have investments in various funds, plus savings. Do keep your fingers crossed for me though -- I'm recovering, but still have a little way to go.

P.S. Do you like bak kwa?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad to hear that. Congrats on the purchase of the condo.

I will definitely keep my fingers crossed for you. Nothing is more important than good health and the love that the two of you have for each other.
1.gif

Take care.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
1.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lOOOVEEE it, but unfortunately it''s so fattening! I give myself a treat once in a while but can''t afford to have it too often!
3.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about pineapple tarts? My parents sent me some for the New Year, but didn't dare risk it with the bak kwa. Yum!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely YUMMMM!!
25.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results