shape
carat
color
clarity

Who’s NOT planning an upgrade? Show me your forever set!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think it’s a cultural barrier. We say what we think and are okay with other’s opinions even if they seem or are abrasive. There are tons of articles, papers and essays on that topic... you can say what you think on no one is really offended. Here it’s seems a bit different I just noticed. Some ladies got really really defensive. A bit too defensive...

I cannot say how it’s going to be in twenty years... And my fiancé offered - after scanning the bees, PS or the purse blog (I actually saw him do that ) - to upgrade it in X years. It’s just that I just can’t imagine giving this particular token of love away.
I put little value to “things”. For that I have moved to often and left literal everything behind. I like traveling light. But there are some things I do value.

To each their own.

And thank you for the compliment. so many wonderful rings on PS though.

If you are okay with other's opinions even if they are abrasive, then you should be okay with the responses you received to your first post I have quoted below. People were explaining to you the reasons others might want an upgrade. You get back what you put out there. ;)2

Western Europe here. Upgrading a gift is something I simply can’t understand. “Hey, what you gave was great!!! .... but not great enough. I’ll get something bigger and better if you don’t mind. I know you asked me to be you wife with this gift. You put thought and your heart into it! But I want more!!” Sorry but that’s what I hear in my head when I read about upgrades...

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a fun thread!
My story is a little different in that I got engaged/married with a plain gold band and asscher half eternity. I consider them my forever set!
20170419_133440.jpg
I already had a solitaire when I got engaged and that I wore/wear as a rhr. I do not consider it my forever solitaire! I have already upgraded it and will most likely do that again to a larger size stone, but still a cushion. :twisted2: But I will have to wait many years for my next upgrade. :(2
20170403_193438.jpg

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a fun thread!
My story is a little different in that I got engaged/married with a plain gold band and asscher half eternity. I consider them my forever set!
20170419_133440.jpg
I already had a solitaire when I got engaged and that I wore/wear as a rhr. I do not consider it my forever solitaire! I have already upgraded it and will most likely do that again to a larger size stone, but still a cushion. :twisted2: But I will have to wait many years for my next upgrade. :(2
20170403_193438.jpg

I love your bands together! So elegant :)

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@stonewell - I love your rings. Your solitaire was one of my inspirations for my ring!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fun thread!
20170419_133440.jpg
20170403_193438.jpg

I love your set! The bands are beautiful!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How did I miss this beauty's original thread?! Your rose gold set is spectacular!!! I LOVE the tiny claw prongs. Did you ask JA to shave them down to that size? And the FIRE from that stone! :love::love::love:

Aww... thanks, @CareBear! I’m an easy target for anything rose gold, but trying to mix it up a bit by using different metals in other jewelry pieces.

There’s actually a funny story about the claw prongs. I had requested for the reset to have the same, slender claw look as my original ring. Apparently the jeweler goofed and made fairly large, rounded prongs. I only found out because it was caught in JA’s QA check. They messaged me to ask if I wanted to accept it as is or wait for it to be corrected. Waiting and patience is not my forte, but when they sent images for me to look over I quickly told them to “send that puppy back for the fix; I don’t care how long it takes!” :confused2::lol-2:

So, I imagine the bench just shaved it down from the rather large, rounded ones. It wasn’t what I originally had in mind, but they’re so small and delicate, it doesn’t look like there are any prongs unless I look from the side. It actually shows off more of the stone, imo.

@stonewell - I love your rings. Your solitaire was one of my inspirations for my ring!

You’re so kind, @mco312, thank you! Happy to hear the ring was a source of inspiration.... *runs off to check mco312’s threads*

Goodness... your new set is absolutely gorgeous!!! I love the Vatche U-113 - So clean, so sophisticated, simply perfect. I love the band you’ve paired with it too! :love::love::love:

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you @stonewell! I am loving the simplicity of a classic solitaire.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@acaw2015 I absolutely love love love all of your rings. That AVC is the stuff of dreams! Do you ever get tempted to wear it on your left hand with the bands, or is that a bit too much finger suffocation?

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@acaw2015 I absolutely love love love all of your rings. That AVC is the stuff of dreams! Do you ever get tempted to wear it on your left hand with the bands, or is that a bit too much finger suffocation?

Thank you! :appl:
I have considered it, but I think the asschers overwhelm the AVC (0.11 ct asschers/1 ct AVC). If the AVC was bigger :twisted2: I think it would work! Asschers and cushions are my favourite shapes and I really like them together. More so IRL than in pictures! One day perhaps...
I can't put the rings on now, puffy pregnant fingers, but here are some pics!
20180307_135509.jpg

20180307_135439.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have considered it, but I think the asschers overwhelm the AVC (0.11 ct asschers/1 ct AVC). If the AVC was bigger :twisted2: I think it would work! Asschers and cushions are my favourite shapes and I really like them together.
20180307_135439.jpg

Oh no! It doesn't get overwhelmed! I love this look with all three rings!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love all the gorgeous rings in this thread!

No plans to upgrade

98FBE876-6B53-4812-9E9E-4D8C949C6855.jpeg

THUD! One of my favorite rings ever! GORGEOUS. Elegant. Blinglicous in every way.:love::love::love:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
THUD! One of my favorite rings ever! GORGEOUS. Elegant. Blinglicous in every way.:love::love::love:

Aw Missy, thank you sweetie! :kiss2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw Missy, thank you sweetie! :kiss2:

Junie you are very welcome and it's the truth. Your ring is divine.:love: It pales only in comparison to its owner.

I was just deleting pics from my phone cause I have too many and I found a pic of your ring, my ring and 2 other PSers rings when we were last together. It's a great pic and it is a keeper. The ring and the pic haha. I'd share it here as I am sure it is fine with you and the other PSer but one of the girls might not want it shared so I won't unless she says it is OK. I sent it to you when I took it but will text it again just in case.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have considered it, but I think the asschers overwhelm the AVC (0.11 ct asschers/1 ct AVC). If the AVC was bigger :twisted2: I think it would work! Asschers and cushions are my favourite shapes and I really like them together. More so IRL than in pictures! One day perhaps...
I can't put the rings on now, puffy pregnant fingers, but here are some pics!
20180307_135509.jpg

20180307_135439.jpg
I love the AVC and asschers together. You should definitely rock this.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
37DF67E1-9B84-4774-8F48-0602B7180493.jpeg 9411990B-EE25-4DD9-8BA3-D3AB2CD316EB.jpeg
Western Europe here. Upgrading a gift is something I simply can’t understand. “Hey, what you gave was great!!! .... but not great enough. I’ll get something bigger and better if you don’t mind. I know you asked me to be you wife with this gift. You put thought and your heart into it! But I want more!!” Sorry but that’s what I hear in my head when I read about upgrades... I don’t mind some more bling with time but I have another hand and two ears and wrist and a neck which I can decorate with gorgeous shiny things.
Anyways. I have a forever set I love beyond everything. I can’t wear the band for another 56 days but I have a picture.
So you’re not married yet? How long have you been wearing your current set?

Some people, sounds like you’re one of them, romanticize a ring. Others don’t. Many are perfectly content with something they got at 20, but tastes and budgets have changed after 10 or 20 years.

Many don’t equate the love of their spouse to the style of jewelry they wear.

To each their own. Maybe after you wear yours for a lifetime your taste might change too. Hopefully you don’t get the same guilt trip from your husband you laid on here.

September_Blue

Rough_Rock
Premium

Some people, sounds like you’re one of them, romanticize a ring. Others don’t. Many are perfectly content with something they got at 20, but tastes and budgets have changed after 10 or 20 years.

To each their own. Maybe after you wear yours for a lifetime your taste might change too. Hopefully you don’t get the same guilt trip from your husband you laid on here.

I completely agree. My first set is a .55ct solitaire with a 2 .25rb sides in a wrap. I know how much thought my husband put into it and he swore up and down I’d one day have the ring of my dreams (silly man) despite me willing to get a tattoo instead of a ring.
After he deployed and did three back to back tours in the Middle East, he upgraded my set as a thank you for doing double parent duty for so long.
I had that set almost nine years before it was stolen out of my gym bag in November. Losing that set devastated me, but it also made me value my original 3-stone set more.
The ring I’m working on now, is it an upgrade? You could call it that. I married the guy, not the diamond.

Sorry, end rant.

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Well said.
My husband is not into jewelry. But he loves telling people about my ring. And the entire process of searching for the perfect rock. He’s proud of it and he knows it makes me happy.
But it is just a symbol of our love and commitment. Anything can be that symbol. For me it happens to be bling. And he loves that he can indulge me.
It took years for this upgrade so I’m going to cherish it and show it off.
But he is the true prize.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think some of the “bristling” in this thread surrounds the literal interpretation of the word “upgrade.” For PSers, we have sort of morphed the definition of this word to have more of a softened knife-edge down the shank, so to speak. :lol: Our language has evolved. I can see how newbies can be taken a bit aback. We need a better word to describe the process of changing rings as the years go by. It really is so individual!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think some of the “bristling” in this thread surrounds the literal interpretation of the word “upgrade.” For PSers, we have sort of morphed the definition of this word to have more of a softened knife-edge down the shank, so to speak. :lol: Our language has evolved. I can see how newbies can be taken a bit aback. We need a better word to describe the process of changing rings as the years go by. It really is so individual!

LOL! Perfect description! :lol:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love all the gorgeous rings in this thread!

No plans to upgrade.

Great thread!

98FBE876-6B53-4812-9E9E-4D8C949C6855.jpeg

@junebug17 I can’t decide which I love more, your beautiful ring or the pool and landscaping in the background LOL.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results