shape
carat
color
clarity

Well I just bought a pair of OECs

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just got back from the appraiser - he thinks they are both over 1.2 cts (I forget the exact sizes he said), I and J, Vs1 or maybe cleaner (of course minus the little chips I already knew about), and that the stuff I keep seeing that I thought was inclusions is just dirt, like @dreamer_dachsie was saying. He didn’t see anything that made him think there was anything hiding under a prong, but of course you can’t be entirely certain without unmounting them. So that’s all very good and better than expected.

In some ways I’ve had kind of a tough week so this was good news and I have cut the funny must-keep-on-to-return tag off and put it on a chain and am wearing it. It doesn’t go with my plaid shirt at all but we’re rolling with it.

sunandsky

Shiny_Rock
Just got back from the appraiser - he thinks they are both over 1.2 cts (I forget the exact sizes he said), I and J, Vs1 or maybe cleaner (of course minus the little chips I already knew about), and that the stuff I keep seeing that I thought was inclusions is just dirt, like @dreamer_dachsie was saying. He didn’t see anything that made him think there was anything hiding under a prong, but of course you can’t be entirely certain without unmounting them. So that’s all very good and better than expected.

In some ways I’ve had kind of a tough week so this was good news and I have cut the funny must-keep-on-to-return tag off and put it on a chain and am wearing it. It doesn’t go with my plaid shirt at all but we’re rolling with it.

I’m sorry about your tough week and hope things are better, and yay for offing the tag - they are gorgeous! Btw some milgrain on that pendant could talk me into wearing it ...

edited to say, witty the appraiser’s specs and new pics, I think you got a great deal!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need photos, plaid shirt and all.

I didn’t take any that day but got a few today. Not wearing diamonds often, I was very surprised by just HOW oily it got after several hours of wear when it was directly on my skin. The current setting is VERY flippy and turns back and forth when I walk - if I had a chain like a snake chain that isn’t so bendy maybe that wouldn’t happen. The fronts of the diamonds were smeared with oil which is crazy because I don’t think of my chest as oily? It’s not so bad when I wear rings, but then I usually put them on and then don’t touch them.

I wore a constellation shirt because it kind of went with the pendant theme...

3D033ED7-ACC6-4195-9BF6-8067761F2948.jpeg

5E1FEA41-03AD-4B6B-BA80-E4EFEC5F89F8.jpeg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it, the scale is great. And great news on the appraisal, I too think it's a great deal for what you got (but I already thought that based on the cuts and matching alone).

You were asking about what a two stone pendant could look like. I like the way its set, but maybe a little adaptation (caveat that I personally like larger scale pieces). Maybe a turning it on a different angle would decrease the flipping.

playing.jpg

playing2.jpg

Or even something like this

playing3.jpg

(ok, that last one is a joke... I couldn't resist.)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
More ideas:

1575750272896.png

1575750292102.png

1575750465846.png

Maybe the opposite of the joke one I posted above! :lol: (but I also like it)

1575750349938.png

In keeping with the "anatomy" theme lol

1575750551484.png

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dreamer_dachsie haha - yes, one of my concerns coming up with twin-stone pendants was a lot of what I was doodling looked essentially like TruckNutz, The Necklace. :errrr::lol:

I kind of like the idea of putting them both in an infinity symbol. I also have a .65 and .3 OEC with similar faceting patterns that could be incorporated... but I'd like something mostly horizontal bc it'll be on a 14" chain and I like it to be small enough to not go over the neck of tshirts, etc.

Wild daydreaming... it would be a couple of years before I had the funds for this but they could be side-stones of a mega three-stone ring with something like the OEC mayk is selling:

Or I could find a very large sapphire or something and they could be side stones to that. I'd wear a colored stone ring more anyway.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mega CS three stone . Yowza - yes!

TruckNutz the necklace - hahaha!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I mean, if it was ME... and I wish it was lol... I would keep them in the current setting and just play around with the chains to make it sit the way I want (either by getting a different chain or experimenting with fixing the chain to either end of the crescent to make it more horizontal)... then I'd save up and make a monster three stone like you describe, either with a colored gem or another diamond. Just basically, these beauties have so many possibilities. Victoriam three stones actually more commonly have three stone of very similar size. So you wouldn't need a huge center at all. You could look for something just a little bigger, in the 1.5-2.0 ct range (diamond size I mean, or similar size gem). It would be spectacular.

How do they look next to the sapphire in the e-ring? :devil:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I spit out my coffee at "TruckNutz" but some went up through my nose and now it burns!

Darn you guys!

You ladies are somethin' else in the best possible way!

& aghhhhh shes right...the possibilities man! Personally I would make one hell of a toi et moi ring!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After living with the diamonds for a while and wearing them regularly, I am still moderately annoyed by the lazy facets under the table of the bottom one. Maybe it wouldn't annoy me if they weren't right next to each other - it's not dead or anything but they do all turn off and on together, unlike the top diamond.

While looking up where other people here have had OECs recut, I realized Southwest Diamond Cutters is just minutes away from me - so I have an appointment later this week to have Ashley take a look at the pair and see if the bottom one can be recut to better match the top one in terms of light performance. If there's not a good chance of it staying a well-matched pair, I won't do it. I was skeptical of doing it if I had to send the diamonds away but since I can just drive the diamonds over and meet with them in person, I feel better about being able to communicate what I want and better about my ability to turn it down if it's not going to be the right thing. Ashley said altering one of a matched pair can be easier because they have a concrete example of what I want it to look like. So I'm hoping it's doable since the one that needs help is slightly larger and I think slightly deeper (kind of hard to tell in the settings though).

So we'll see how it goes! Could be that I will go talk to them and decide not to recut, but I figure there's no harm in getting a consultation.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s exciting :D !

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The recut is finished but I won’t be able to pick them up for a week bc I’m too busy - I haven’t even called back to ask for pictures.

IF everything is as I hope, then they’ll be going into a twin stone ring. I have sketched out some ideas, please give me feedback:

131EBACD-9B86-4DD6-8064-1272AB399F25.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely sketch designs!
As much as I love onyx, are either of those rings something you want to baby while you wear that much? Are you thinking of a mosaic pieced design or whole piece- Is there any protective metal incorporated to the edges of the design? I don’t know production or sourcing limitations, nor pricing difference - but would you consider black spinel or I think black sapphire also exists?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
1 intrigues me a lot, especially with rose cuts and blackened metal. I think it is unique but classic and more wearable on a daily basis than the others, which are a little more "special occassion" looking to me. Though it depends on your fashion I suppose. Are you a full on Goth? I hope so!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Number one reminds me of a toi et moi cluster at Romanov of Russia I’ve always loved. So it gets my vote. I’d work in onyx between the centerstone and cluster stones. Onyx or enamel at the edge of any ring design or shoulders is asking for multiple repairs. I had an onyx design - I can imagine it easily!
Number two reminds me of yavorskyy designs - so I like that too!
Number four - I’m positive I’ve seen a colored gemstone version very similar I thought was striking - so I like that as well.

I’ve scaled your drawings to match the size of your stones on the back of your hand. Hopefully this will help you envision?
D3397FED-60DA-44D6-A7A4-EB27A01B043D.jpeg 89370C7A-7ECD-448F-BD9A-7A1209B1BF76.jpeg 70FFB87F-CB17-45DD-99A3-5468DC53DD13.jpeg 6FF296A6-0FF9-45DE-9DD5-BB888F0BCA85.jpeg

Fun project! :love:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right now I'm leaning toward 2 (more of a cluster ring look) and 4, because they are the most unlike anything else I own. Unfortunately they are also both the most expensive ideas, I think.

1 intrigues me a lot, especially with rose cuts and blackened metal. I think it is unique but classic and more wearable on a daily basis than the others, which are a little more "special occassion" looking to me. Though it depends on your fashion I suppose. Are you a full on Goth? I hope so!

hahaha... no... I mostly wear jeans and tshirts and I have a lot of, like, Lilly Pulitzer dresses. Which is pretty much the opposite of goth.

The ONLY hesitation I have with rose cuts is my paraiba ring is a rose cut halo and I don't like to duplicate... I really thought about blackening the metal and talked to DK about it and he said if I wanted to I could send it back, but I've liked it well enough without. I can't find a parcel or item I would be willing to take apart with enough smaller OECs so it I think rose cuts or single cuts would be what can be easily sourced. Whereas for ring 2, I've located an item with approx 20 pt OECs that could be used for a halo, for ring 3, I have located another item with diamonds that could be used, and for ring 4, I already have the diamond I would put in between the pair.

I was thinking of this as a blingy special occasion ring since I've always wanted a nice dinner ring.

Lovely sketch designs!
As much as I love onyx, are either of those rings something you want to baby while you wear that much? Are you thinking of a mosaic pieced design or whole piece- Is there any protective metal incorporated to the edges of the design? I don’t know production or sourcing limitations, nor pricing difference - but would you consider black spinel or I think black sapphire also exists?

They would be cut pieces of onyx inlaid into a metal thingy - idk french cuts or athenaworth's ring with onyx is I think just kind of flat slabs? For the sapphire ring they would be french cuts. This would only be an occasional-wear ring so I don't mind babying it, and I don't mind sending it back to have enamel redone in a decade or whenever I inevitably crack the enamel. Enamel would definitely be a lot cheaper than inlaid gems, even onyx, but inlaid gems would be more durable and I think more of a Look.

Here are some of my inspirations:

onyx sides in 1:
7321451_master.jpg

8058871_master.jpg

that emerald and rosecut ring obviously inspired 4:

other inspiration for 4:
S1265A_org_master.jpg

7726811_master.jpg

Inspiration for 3:

8238652_master.jpg

6835121_master.jpg

Other misc ones I have saved:

i-bhSj2Lx-L.jpg

3052983_master.jpg

VEG_1372_FD_1899_6_master.jpg

A16668k_org_org_master.jpg

8133762_master.jpg

3082773_master.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Number one reminds me of a toi et moi cluster at Romanov of Russia I’ve always loved. So it gets my vote. I’d work in onyx between the centerstone and cluster stones. Onyx or enamel at the edge of any ring design or shoulders is asking for multiple repairs. I had an onyx design - I can imagine it easily!
Number two reminds me of yavorskyy designs - so I like that too!
Number four - I’m positive I’ve seen a colored gemstone version very similar I thought was striking - so I like that as well.

I’ve scaled your drawings to match the size of your stones on the back of your hand. Hopefully this will help you envision?
D3397FED-60DA-44D6-A7A4-EB27A01B043D.jpeg 89370C7A-7ECD-448F-BD9A-7A1209B1BF76.jpeg 70FFB87F-CB17-45DD-99A3-5468DC53DD13.jpeg 6FF296A6-0FF9-45DE-9DD5-BB888F0BCA85.jpeg

Fun project! :love:

Thanks as always for your photo editing! I don't like 3 at all in it, lol, and am so-so on 1. Design 4 is definitely the one entirely unlike anything else I own, but custom-cut french cut sapphires sound pricey. But I'd trust cjd_sako to do the design.

Do you really think onyx is almost as troublesome as enamel? I don't think on the shoulders it would manage to hit anything? I have a rose-cut onyx band that I wear a lot on my right-hand index finger and it's been smashed into lots of things and seems fine. The metal is dented but the onyx is alright.

And yeah... 2 def reminds me of yavorskyy too... just like my paraiba ring, which I decided not to go double-halo on because I was already worried about, you know, fairly included paraiba. I definitely have "types" I like... three-stones and yavorskyy designs, lol.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I wonder if instead of onyx they can do, like, black sapphire or black spinel, so you get the durability with the dark color.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I have one again that’s not a pendant - I would do the same.
Can’t wait to see this - it’s gonna be insane!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I love the use if a small middle stone in No.4, the frame seems too much.

These things come to mind www , www

Last edited:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I have one again that’s not a pendant - I would do the same.
Can’t wait to see this - it’s gonna be insane!

Insane is the goal!

I love the use if a small middle stone in No.4, the frame seems too much.

These things come to mind www , www

"Too much" is what I'm aiming for! :lol: Don't really like either of the ones you linked, sorry. I want something primarily vertical with A Lot going on. Well - I love the one with two pears, but those look to be 3+ cts each :lol::lol::lol:

Reactions: AV_
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results