shape
carat
color
clarity

Two beautiful diamonds!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cobrateach

Rough_Rock
Summer has been very busy. My 18 month old granddaughter ended up with an infection three weeks after her defibulator was put in. We were in Alabama for my son in laws AF officer commissioning when we noticed things were not right. Long story short...brought her back to AZ after one day in hospital there...then 25 days in the hospital...tons of doctors....new defibulator put in....me babysitting grandson while sister was in the hospital...all makes for not much time for diamond shopping, but things are looking great now. Baby is now well.
36.gif
Still have to find a second diamond so each daughter can inherit one in the future.
31.gif
Of course I will enjoy wearing them before they become theirs! LOL

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad your granddaughter is okay now! I am sure that was a stressful time!

Hopefully you can hang around here some to get ideas for your second ring! I think you were talking about an oval when we last talked. I''ll be interested to follow your search!

allygirl

Shiny_Rock
Diamondseeker...

Who is Jon? Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is H & A?

I feel really silly asking all of these questions. Seems like most on these boards know what they''re talking about much much more than I!!! I hope that my lack of knowledge is not getting wearing. I appreciate the help so much!

I may just start looking into purchasing on line. Seems like sending it to Verragio isn''t really that big of a deal, huh?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2006 4:40:10 PM
Author: allygirl
Diamondseeker...

Who is Jon? Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is H & A?

I feel really silly asking all of these questions. Seems like most on these boards know what they're talking about much much more than I!!! I hope that my lack of knowledge is not getting wearing. I appreciate the help so much!

I may just start looking into purchasing on line. Seems like sending it to Verragio isn't really that big of a deal, huh?

I'm not DS but she mentioned being out for the afternoon so hopefully I can help
37.gif

Jon is the owner of GoodoldGold where the stone's DS was looking at are from. An H&A are hearts and arrows diamonds which are ideal cut to display the pattern, arrows when face up and you can see the hearts when the stone is loose and face down. Whiteflash and GOG both have great explainations on their websites.

don't feel silly asking questions, most of us were there at one time of another.

ETA: here's the definition of "A cut above" whiteflash's branded Hearts and Arrows diamonds:

A Cut Above' (ACA) Hearts and Arrows diamonds are cut to acheive ultimate optical symmetry, ideal proportions and polish. In order to excel in brilliance, fire and scintillation the most advanced diamond cutting knowledge, craftsmanship and tools are employed.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ally, I see you found my thread! I ended up buying the 1.63, but the 1.37 is still available! Jon is Jonathan at Good Old Gold. That is where the two stones were from. A hearts and arrows stone is one that is cut to have perfect optical symmetry. In other words, it is cut to reflect the most light and be brillant and firey! I''m not the most technical at explaining it, but if you read the 4C''s section on the Good Old Gold site, you''ll understand more. The one tip I will tell you is that some of these vendors, including Jonathan, select the finest H&A stones, so you don''t really have to get a gemology degree to buy a diamond. I trust Jonathan totally. I did order the two stones to look at because I simply wasn''t sure what size I wanted. But they were both gorgeous!

Here is the link to that stone I have pictured in this thread:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2239

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, mrssalvo! Honestly I got tied up with phone calls and am just now running out to do the errands. I just glanced and saw my old thread and had to see the post!

ETA: I see you gave her the links! Thanks, mrss!

I'll be back later if you have any other questions about this diamond, ally!

allygirl

Shiny_Rock
DS,

Yes, I have been lurking around here for a while. I finally feel like I''m getting the hang of it, thanks to all of you. So, you had to purchase both of these stones from GOG and then return one? Wow, that''s alot of money to put out at once! But I''m glad that you made the decision. If I had a one carat, I have to tell you, I would have definately gone for the 1.63! Right now, my original engagement ring is probably less than a 1/4 (I got married very young! :) )

SO, a 1.37 seems like a nice size for me. I tried on a 1.27 AND a 1.52 and I have to say the 1.52 wasnt'' all that much larger, so I''m sure that a 1.37 will be perfect! I have to purchase the setting at least from my jeweler. They have gone far and beyonod for me picking out the setting. Even called in a salesman with all of his samples just for a private viewing for me! I really think I may just purchase that 1.37. Having seen it, what were the cons (if any besides the size).

Also, how do you feel about the fact that people can return these diamond? Do you think that can affect the stone at all in shipping it back and forth?

allygirl

Shiny_Rock
DS,

Still looking around. That 1.37....it did look a little yellow but I suppose it''s just the lighting?

WHen you ordered, did you order over the phone? Or do you have to go to their actual store and if so, where is it???

I still don''t know what to do. Ask my jeweler if they can come up with one like this or just go with GOG . You saw the exact stone and everyone commented on it.

Do you get the AGS report with it or does that come at a later time? I''m concerned about purchasing it at GOG and then sending it out, but I suppose it will have the number lasered onto the diamond, correct?

allygirl

Shiny_Rock
How does this one compare to the 1.37? I am still confused about the whole AGS0 so maybe this one is not that????Diamond - GoodOldGold.com

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ally, that is a lovely AGS0 stone as well. It is just a little smaller than the other one, but not by too much. I know there is someone else on PS looking at that stone which is why I didn''t bring it up. But until it is put on hold or sold, it is available to anyone!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/9/2006 1:26:05 PM
DS,

Still looking around. That 1.37....it did look a little yellow but I suppose it''s just the lighting?

WHen you ordered, did you order over the phone? Or do you have to go to their actual store and if so, where is it???

I still don''t know what to do. Ask my jeweler if they can come up with one like this or just go with GOG . You saw the exact stone and everyone commented on it.

Do you get the AGS report with it or does that come at a later time? I''m concerned about purchasing it at GOG and then sending it out, but I suppose it will have the number lasered onto the diamond, correct?
All stones, even D-F can look a little tinted in lamp light. All diamonds will reflect colors around them as well. An H might show a slight tint next to a D, but generally in natural light, you would not detect an H tint alone. There are many girls on this site with I, J and even a couple of K stones. The brillance of the hearts and arrows cuts makes these stones face up brighter than a poorly cut stone. That''s why you can go a little lower in color with these due to the brillance of them. However, there are some people who would only buy D-F. But you pay a higher price to get those colors. G-H is pretty much in the middle...close to colorless but more affordable than D-F.

If you have a way to pay for it, you could do what I did and have two diamonds sent at the same time to compare. That''s what I did. Then I sent them both back. I''ll have the one I chose set eventually by them, or they will send it where I am having it set. Jonathan will do my insurance valuation once it is set and then send it to me. I would have to pay for all the extra shipping other than the one free shipping they do.

The AGS report will come with the finished ring, insurance valuation papers, etc. Or if you have someone else set it and send it to you, I guess Jon would send the AGS papers whenever the payment was completed. That''s just open to do however works best. But no, a laser inscription is not on all diamonds. You just have to be very careful about who you choose to set your diamond if it leaves Good Old Gold. Some insurance will let you add a loose stone to your policy and others won''t. If you want Verragio, then I''d get the quote from them on the ring you want. I believe Mike had Good Old Gold send his diamond to Sister''s Jewelry. I also think Sister''s sent the completed rings to him. But I''d sort of like the ring to go back through Jonathan so he can check it and make sure everything is ok with the diamond and setting before it comes to me.

I would call them and ask for a stone to be put on hold. They may ask you to also do it online, too. Then they tell you how to wire the money or you can pay by credit card. I did much of my work with them by email. They sent the stones by overnight express once we wired the money. Then I sent them back within a couple of days and they refunded the money for the second stone minus the shipping for the extra stone. It really was very easy overall. The hardest part for me is choosing a setting! Lol!

allygirl

Shiny_Rock
As I think I have mentioned, I already picked out the setting from my jeweler. It is a Verragio. Now, I don''t know what to do . If I order the diamond on line, do I then have them ship the diamond to my jeweler who will then ship it to Verragio? Seems like alot of moving around for that diamond. Wish there was an easier way. If anyone knows of a way to do this , let me know.

DS, did your diamond that you picked out have the number lasered on the diamond? I really would prefer that. How would I know if the diamond did, in fact, have the number lasered on it without putting it under a scope?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ally, I have seen a certificate that said the diamond was laser inscribed. You can assume it is not if you don''t see the information on the certificate or the webpage on the diamond. You can have this done, though. I believe you can send it to AGS or to one of the independent appraisers here who has the capability. (Or you can pay for GOG to send it for you).

If you want the local jeweler to set the stone, then I think you''d just have the stone sent to you so you can first be sure you want it, and then you take the stone to your local jeweler. Then your jeweler will take care of sending the stone to Verragio and I imagine all that will be included in the price they quote you. This is a pretty easy way to do it. Just be sure you know if they insure the stone while in their possession. I''d try to get the loose stone insured myself, though, if possible, just to be totally protected. I really don''t really see the need for the laser inscription unless you don''t trust your jeweler. I wouldn''t worry about Verragio. They set other people''s stones all the time.

allygirl

Shiny_Rock
So you saw the certificate for both the 1.63 and the 1.37? They were both laser inscribed?

It''s not that I don''t trust my jeweler, but that I am new to using this specific jeweler as they were listed as a certified dealer for Verragio. That''s how I found them. They have been most helpful to now and that is why I feel so obligated to purchase from them. They really have gone out of their way to help me!

I suppose you''re right. No big deal in me giving them the diamond to send to Verragio. I just don''t know if I give it to them when I order the setting or not. They are quoting me 3-4 weeks and I can''t see them hanging on to the diamond all that time, can you????

THANKS Again for all of your help. ANy more thoughts, I''d love to hear them!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2006 3:58:27 PM

I suppose you''re right. No big deal in me giving them the diamond to send to Verragio. I just don''t know if I give it to them when I order the setting or not. They are quoting me 3-4 weeks and I can''t see them hanging on to the diamond all that time, can you????

ally, that''s probably how long verragio will have it. chances are they will make your setting around your stone so your jeweler will send the stone to verragio and they will be ones holding on to it. it''s very common with designer settings to take 3-4 weeks many take a few weeks longer.

allygirl

Shiny_Rock
Then I''d have to insure it for sure on my own as well. NOW, how do I do that????

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your help, mrssalvo!

Ally, no, neither the 1.37 or 1.63 is laser inscribed, so you''d have to ask GOG to send it to be done if you really wanted it. I didn''t have mine done.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2006 4:14:31 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Ally, no, neither the 1.37 or 1.63 is laser inscribed, so you''d have to ask GOG to send it to be done if you really wanted it. I didn''t have mine done.

i won''t be inscribing mine either. If you worried you can always have the stone sent to an independant appraiser. they can confirm the stone matches the cert and is what you just purchased. then you can take it back once you get the new setting. the appraiser can comfirm it''s the same stone and do and updated appraisel to include your setting. Your appraiser can also help you learn to identify your stone w/out having to have it inscribed. But, if you''re really worred about it, it''s not expensive to have done.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2006 4:14:31 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

ds, actually the Isee2 does have an identifying mark, although it is worthless IMO, as my gemologist couldn''t find it.
From their site:

Each Isee2 diamond has an ionized quality label logo with its unique identity in one of the corners of the table.

Isee2 says they do this to assure someone can''t buff out the ID, as can be done with a number on a girdle. But it does little to assure me it''s my diamond when a gemologist can''t find it under a microscope.
20.gif

This is my ONLY complaint with this stone.

allygirl

Shiny_Rock
WOW! More to learn!!!!
19.gif

ISEE2??????

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2006 5:24:12 PM
WOW! More to learn!!!!
19.gif

ISEE2??????
ally, the 1.37 that ds had for a bit is an Isee2 branded diamond. They really are beautiful stones.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2006 5:27:38 PM
Author: Ellen

WOW! More to learn!!!!
19.gif

ISEE2??????
ally, the 1.37 that ds had for a bit is an Isee2 branded diamond. They really are beautiful stones.

I agree. It''s got everything you''re looking for and if the price is right, I''d grab it and call it a day
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2006 5:29:47 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 8/9/2006 5:27:38 PM
Author: Ellen

WOW! More to learn!!!!
19.gif

ISEE2??????

I agree. It''s got everything you''re looking for and if the price is right, I''d grab it and call it a day
2.gif
*nodding in agreement*

allygirl

Shiny_Rock
That did/does sound like a beautiful stone. What is holding me back now is telling the jeweler that I purchased elsewhere, having to insurance it to be shipped to Verragio, and being able to identify it again when it comes back. HELP!!!!!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2006 5:32:52 PM
That did/does sound like a beautiful stone. What is holding me back now is telling the jeweler that I purchased elsewhere, having to insurance it to be shipped to Verragio, and being able to identify it again when it comes back. HELP!!!!!!!
If Jon ok's the setting, you can have him set the stone, just have it sent to him.

As for your jeweler, simply tell them nicely you appreciate everything they have done for you, but you found exactly what you were looking for elsewhere.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ally, I hope you see this! I forgot that ISee2 stones have a minute laser inscription on the table of the stone!!! So that 1.37 DOES have the inscription to identify it! I''m so sorry I forgot that!

allygirl

Shiny_Rock
DS,

I did see on the AGS report (is that the right wording), that there was a number present on the table facet of the diamond. Was awaiting GOG ''s response to my e-mail about that but you answered it first.

Anything new that you can supply me with as far as information, please feel free to post. Thanks again and again for your help!

PS--did you get your 1.63 set yet??? Curious to see photos!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ally, glad you saw my message! I just forgot about that stone having the inscription! No, crazy me cannot decide on a setting! Hopefully I''ll figure out something by the end of the week! I''ll be posting pictures for sure once it is set!

allygirl

Shiny_Rock
I contacted GOG and asked them about laser inscribing. They said that it was not inscribed but that they could do that on Monday. Hmmm.. what exactly are the numbers that are on the table facet? Any idea? I sent another e-mail to TIM at GOG and am awaiting a reply from him.

I can''t wait to see what setting you picked! This is an upgrade for you, right?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results