shape
carat
color
clarity

Two beautiful diamonds!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/10/2006 10:09:42 AM
Author: allygirl
I contacted GOG and asked them about laser inscribing. They said that it was not inscribed but that they could do that on Monday. Hmmm.. what exactly are the numbers that are on the table facet? Any idea? I sent another e-mail to TIM at GOG and am awaiting a reply from him.

I can''t wait to see what setting you picked! This is an upgrade for you, right?
ally, it will have a set of numbers to identify it, just like on a girdle, plus their logo. But for your sake, I would have them laser inscribe the girdle, as trying to see what''s on the table is next to impossible.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think you can see the inscription on the girdle either unless you have something better than a 10x loupe. But it''s fine if you want one on the girdle, too.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
So DS, any closer to a setting decision?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/10/2006 11:07:08 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I don''t think you can see the inscription on the girdle either unless you have something better than a 10x loupe. But it''s fine if you want one on the girdle, too.
ds, the reason I suggested having it lazered is because the ID on the Isee2''s are almost impossible to see even under a high mag microscope. Not so with girdle ID, and I thought that would give ally peace of mind.

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker
how beautiful stone , I also love your avotor
30.gif

allygirl

Shiny_Rock
Okay everyone. The setting that I am getting is GVS2 stones in it. NOW, I think I am understanding that it is perfectly fine for me to put a f g or even an h in as the main stone, correct?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/10/2006 4:44:32 PM
Okay everyone. The setting that I am getting is GVS2 stones in it. NOW, I think I am understanding that it is perfectly fine for me to put a f g or even an h in as the main stone, correct?
Yes, any of those would be fine!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/10/2006 4:00:27 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 8/10/2006 11:07:08 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
ds, the reason I suggested having it lazered is because the ID on the Isee2''s are almost impossible to see even under a high mag microscope. Not so with girdle ID, and I thought that would give ally peace of mind.
Sure, Ellen, I think that is completely fine if she would like to do that!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/10/2006 4:37:26 PM
Author: flower12
diamondseeker
how beautiful stone , I also love your avotor
30.gif
Thank you so much, Flower! I''m trying to decide on a setting so I can wear it!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/10/2006 4:44:32 PM
Ally, yes, you most certainly can put F, G and H stones in a setting with smaller G stones. You can probably set a wider range than that, as a matter of fact.

allygirl

Shiny_Rock
The guy from Verragio said that I could go color wise as far as H since there are gvs2 stones in the setting. I wonder if it would look odd if I went a little better , like to an f color.

ALSO, can someone tell me specifically the difference between a VVS2 and a VS1? Is there that much of a difference?

allygirl

Shiny_Rock
Since I don''t really have a diamond yet at all (my original engagement ring is VERY VERY SMALL, too small to even reset into a pendant!), I want to make the right decision. Do you think it is a waste of me to spend the extra $$ on an F? I really want to decide by the end of the week and tomorrow''s Friday!!! :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ally, I wrestled with the color just like you are doing. I had already gone up over my original budget when I considered the 1.63. But then I wondered if I should go ahread and get a 1.5 F color instead. I emailed Jonathan at GOG and asked him if there was a noticable difference between my H 1.63 and the F 1.5. He told me that my stone was a high H and a great value, and he honestly did not recommend that I get the F instead. There just wasn't that much difference in the two stones. He told me that in spite of the fact that he would have made $4000. more on the sale! That's one of the many reasons I trust him.

However, you should go for whatever color would make you happiest! An F, G, or H center stone will be fine in your setting with small G stones.

The two stones I brought home were VVS2 and VS1. Both were excellent in regard to clarity. I have a 10x loupe, and I could not see any inclusions in either stone other than a very minute speck in the VS1. I am picky about clarity so I only looked at VS and VVS. Most people would be very happy with VS2 and up. Those inclusions (VS2) are very small and can be seen only with a loupe, usually.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
ds beat me.
2.gif

allygirl

Shiny_Rock
My jeweler called me yesterday and left a message for me. I don''t know what to do! Do I Just be honest and say that I found a stone (or two in this case) and see what they say? I don''t want to anger anyone nor do I want to create an atmosphere where purchasing is going to be uncomfortable.

Can you tell me exactly (again) what girdle is? also what is crown angle and pavilion? Just want to make sure if and when I discuss with the jeweler that I know what I''m talking about. THANKS!

allygirl

Shiny_Rock
DS,

By the way, that 1.37 that you had was an AGS0. Is that considered to be a triple zero AGS? I hear about both and do not know if they are one in the same or not... THANKS!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it has 0 for light performance, proportions, and polish.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2006 12:14:36 PM
My jeweler called me yesterday and left a message for me. I don''t know what to do! Do I Just be honest and say that I found a stone (or two in this case) and see what they say? I don''t want to anger anyone nor do I want to create an atmosphere where purchasing is going to be uncomfortable.

Can you tell me exactly (again) what girdle is? also what is crown angle and pavilion? Just want to make sure if and when I discuss with the jeweler that I know what I''m talking about. THANKS!
ally, it would be really beneficial to you to read the tutorial section. That way you''ll know what you''re doing, and talking about.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/11/2006 12:39:48 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 8/11/2006 12:14:36 PM

ally, it would be really beneficial to you to read the tutorial section. That way you''ll know what you''re doing, and talking about.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/
Yes Ally, truthfully, it takes a lot of studying to be able to advocate for yourself with a local jeweler who probably does not deal in superideal stones much or any. I think at this point I''d tell them that you are looking only at AGS0 stones. Maybe they can''t even access any in the size you want. But if they do, you can compare the price with the prices here. You already have a direct comparison for the setting prices and there is a $2000 price difference. I think in order to resolve this fairly, you probably should call them and tell them you have located a jeweler who will sell the Verragio for $2000 less. If they are not willing to price match on the setting, then just forget dealing with them period. If they are willing to price match on the setting (or come close), then you might want to give them a chance on the diamond. You don''t have to know much to buy an AGS0 stone. If you use GIA excellent, then you''d have to run the numbers by us here so people could advise you as to whether the stone was good or not. I just don''t think you should waste any more of their time if you are going to end up buying elsewhere, so get to the point and ask them about matching the setting price and see what they say. Just tell them a friend told you about a jeweler in Boston who sells designer settings at a discount. Do not mention online anything.

allygirl

Shiny_Rock
DS,

Thanks for your help! I''m actually awaiting a phone call from them. I really would like to give them my business as I really feel that they''ve gone way out of their way helping me. I am concerned about mentioning the price difference because I''m sure that they''ll figure it was online. I am going to ask for a AGS 0 stone ONLY! That''s my best bet. That way I don''t need to run any of the numbers, correct? I think that I''ve definately learned alot in the past week or so from everyone on here, but really would prefer an AGS0 stone anyways! Everything I''ve read indicates how beautiful they are. NOW, the big question, is an AGS0 stone ALWAYS a hearts and arrows? Are they always ISEE2 diamonds also??

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/11/2006 2:18:25 PM
DS,

Thanks for your help! I''m actually awaiting a phone call from them. I really would like to give them my business as I really feel that they''ve gone way out of their way helping me. I am concerned about mentioning the price difference because I''m sure that they''ll figure it was online. I am going to ask for a AGS 0 stone ONLY! That''s my best bet. That way I don''t need to run any of the numbers, correct? I think that I''ve definately learned alot in the past week or so from everyone on here, but really would prefer an AGS0 stone anyways! Everything I''ve read indicates how beautiful they are. NOW, the big question, is an AGS0 stone ALWAYS a hearts and arrows? Are they always ISEE2 diamonds also??
If it is an AGS0, you should be fine. It does not guarantee that it would be a hearts and arrows stone, though. But it might. You shoudl ask the vendor if they have any kind of hearts and arrows viewer. If they say no, then you can assume they are not into the superideal stones.

No, ISee2 is a particular brand of hearts and arrows. Unless your jeweler carries that brand, you will not be seeing an ISee2 stone there.

It is possible they won''t come up with any AGS stones in the 1.35-1.5 range, and in that case, you''ll be off the hook with them. I''d go ahead and get the reaction on teh Verragio, though, because if you aren''t getting the setting from them, there is absolutely no point whatsoever of talking with them about a diamond.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
So DS did you choose a setting for your beautiful diamond yet???

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes, I''m almost at my deadline and I haven''t! I talked with GOG about a temp setting, but I''d do it in platinum just in case it became permanent! There''s still the SuperbCert or Quest Tiffany repro. I was never able to see a Ritani in person that was the right size band, etc. I got a custom quote, but am not sure about that route either. I guess I just haven''t found anything I love enough to pay $5000. for! I may go back and look at that Scott Kay on Monday. Otherwise I''ll have to just go with a plain Tiffany or a nice Tiffany repro. If you have any great insight, I''d be happy to hear it!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Trouble is all of these settings you''ve been considering are gorgeous and you would probably love any one of them! At least the search is fun, but I''m sure at some point you just want to have the ring on your hand!!!

allygirl

Shiny_Rock
DS,

Did you pick you setting yet? Just curious.

I am still trying to gather as much information about diamonds as I can before I purchase. Still haven''t decided.

I saw a few (dont know if you saw my posts about this).

Two were LAZARRE , one 1.26 and one 1.25

both were ags000 but one was si1 and one was vs2. I actually thought the si1 looked better under the scope!

My question to you is....do you know what good measurements are for this carat weight? I thought that the certificates said 6.44 x 6.58 x 4. something. People on the boards are telling me that the measurements should be in the 7s. If it is an AGS000 it has to be in the perfect parameters , right??

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ally, I''m close to deciding on a setting, I think!

A 1.0 carat diamond is supposed to be 6.5mm. I think a 1.25 should be at least 6.9-7.0mm. Are you looking at name brand Lazarre (sp?) diamonds? Have you compared the prices on here? I''d think they''d be a lot higher.

allygirl

Shiny_Rock
DS

I can''t wait to hear your decision on your setting!

I posted the wrong numbers.

The lazarre 1.25 is 6.88 x 6.94 x 4.30. It was a G si1 (i was convinced I wanted a vs, but the vs I saw had older documentation and the si1 looked better under the scope). 1.258 carat.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results