shape
carat
color
clarity

Two beautiful diamonds!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think the 1.37 is such a small step up that few people would notice, other than the stone being so beautiful and more sparkly than the old one. But it is a lovely comfortable size and I wouldn't feel funny wearing it. I think if I keep the 1.63 and someone says, wow, what a rock! I'll answer, yes, it looks real doesn't it?!
2.gif

But one stone is 7.2mm and the other 7.6, so 7.4 would be a compromise size if I can't handle 7.6.
40.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohhh...I think you know what I am going to say.....go the the larger one! You already have a 1ct and I think you mentioned this may be your one and only upgrade so make it count. I agree with Mara. I think if you DO go with a solitare you should go no less than 3mm. Don''t worry about thickness. You have seen how small my hands are and my wedding set will be over 8mm total.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They''re both gorgeous!! Either would look great on your hand, but I think the 1.63 looks more comfy there. [grin] I''ve always believed that with upgrades, you need to buy the biggest, best-cut stone that you can comfortably afford, especially if you don''t plan to upgrade again. You want to avoid second-guessing yourself later on and wondering why you didn''t go with the bigger option when it was available to you. (plus our hubbies can only tolerate, what, around 1 or 2 upgrades over a lifetime, on average?) As for the SP band, I''m glad that you still have the option of returning or exchanging it. You''ll have more flexibility when you decide on the stone setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/12/2006 12:41:57 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Ohhh...I think you know what I am going to say.....go the the larger one! You already have a 1ct and I think you mentioned this may be your one and only upgrade so make it count. I agree with Mara. I think if you DO go with a solitare you should go no less than 3mm. Don't worry about thickness. You have seen how small my hands are and my wedding set will be over 8mm total.
Tacori, it's really the thickness from the side that is the issue. A thin e-ring band would not stick out as far on the sides and wouldn't look right with the eternity ring. So it's not so much the width of the band as the thickness (side-view). I'm not sure if I'm describing that well enough!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
DS, another reason to go bigger is because, as we reach a certain age, ahem, our eyes don''t work the way they used to. With a bigger rock it''s easier to look into it and get that thrill of a gorgeous diamond.

I do understand your perspective on the size thing, after all some of us want to upgrade discreetly, WITHOUT calling a lot of attention to our obsession with diamonds.
So, of course, the 1.37 is just fabulous.

But, I really like the 1.6 on you. It makes your hand look slender and it stands up to the gorgeous SP ring, which it would be a shame to return.

Just remember, "It''s OK to be the lady with the big diamond ring".
17.gif

Very exciting!!!
Enjoy your day(s) of comparison shopping!!!
35.gif
36.gif

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
DS2006,

What ring size you? Both those stones look quite sizable on your finger!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the 1.3ish one is too small a difference from the 1 carat when I look at it on your hand. Even if the 1.6ish one is too big for you... I''d go for something a little bigger than the 1.3. That said. I''d totally go ofr the 1.6 it looks perfect on your hand.

I was DROOLING when I was reading the thread. Good job on the pics! What kind of camera does your daughter have?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Kristy, dbgaap and everyone else for your comments and encouragement! (ETA: db, you're right about middle age eyes and needing a larger diamond! I'm using my reading glasses to see both of these clearly!)

DL, I am wearing 5 1/4 now, but the eternity ring is 5 1/2.

Gypsy, I almost didn't recognize you with the new kitty picture! I have two kitties, too! I am feeling that the 1.37 is not enough difference from my currrent stone to spend the money on. It was my fault that I set my imaginary size minimum at 7.2mm, but I haven't had enough chances to try on different size diamonds to know. I am wearing the 1.63 around waiting for it to shrink a little.
2.gif
My daughter has a Canon PowerShot A510 which is very similar to Demleza's A520. I just need a few lessons on how to do the macro shots! I can see the hearts and arrows with a loupe and with the H&A viewer than Jon sent. They are both beautiful and perfect! I can't see any inclusions, so they pass my mind-clean test!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS, woman, you are just insano. ''Oh 7.2 may be too small and 7.6 may be too big so maybe 7.4mm would be good''. How long has it taken you to get this far?????? Are you really thinking of haggling over .2mm?

Save us all! Buy the 1.63!
31.gif
It shrinks.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2006 1:33:15 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Thanks Kristy, dbgaap and everyone else for your comments and encouragement!

DL, I am wearing 5 1/4 now, but the eternity ring is 5 1/2.

Gypsy, I almost didn''t recognize you with the new kitty picture! I have two kitties, too! I am feeling that the 1.37 is not enough difference from my currrent stone to spend the money on. It was my fault that I set my imaginary size minimum at 7.2mm, but I haven''t had enough chances to try on different size diamonds to know. I am wearing the 1.63 around waiting for it to shrink a little.
2.gif
My daughter has a Canon PowerShot A510 which is very similar to Demleza''s A520. I just need a few lessons on how to do the macro shots! I can see the hearts and arrows with a loupe and with the H&A viewer than Jon sent. They are both beautiful and perfect! I can''t see any inclusions, so they pass my mind-clean test!

You do? Are there pics of your kitties anywhere? Would love to see them! I have four cats and a dog. The cat in my AV is my first born. The Prince. LOL.

I agree about the 1.37 not being enough difference. I''m glad your still giving the 1.63 a shot... because frankly it''s stunning and looks just right on your hand from here. ANd I''m so happy they are mind clean for you. It''s so cool that you can see all of that with the goodies Jon sent, that''s awesome.

Another Canon with amazing pics. We''re set on getting a cannon too. Not sure which one yet, there are three we are picking from. But everytime I see amazing pics on here.. and I ask, it''s a cannon.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, if I can master this Canon, I may buy one just like it! It is pretty easy and automatic, which is a requirement for me! Lol! (However, there is a skinny Sony that I''d sort of like to have, but it costs about $100 more, I think). I don''t have pictures of my kitties yet on digital, but now that I am learning to use the camera, I''ll take some after I get over the diamond thing! We have two dogs, too!

Mara, I know, you are totally right! I have an almost perfect diamond sitting here and I am going to be hard pressed to ever find a better one! My college age daughter will say it is too big, my husband will say get it, and then I''ll be confused again! But I am hoping it will shrink before tomorrow! From all accounts, DSS does creep in eventually, right?!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just thought of one more thing. I''ll bet the diamond will appear smaller when it is set nice and low as opposed to sitting in this diamond holder a full inch high off my finger, right???

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
I think they are both beautiful!!!!!!! 1.63 does look beautiful on you though
19.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Since both stones are "mind clean" with regard to both clarity and cut, I would choose the 1.63. The size looks nice on your hand (and with the eternity band), and the color is better. An H stone that is a borderline G sounds good to me.

I was uncomfortable with the size of my e-ring stone when I first got it, especially with people commenting on how large it was, but I got used to it and just love my stone now. The 1.63 won''t seem so huge once the initial shock of the change wears off. Since you only plan to upgrade once, go for the larger size and slightly better color.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2006 1:35:42 PM
Author: Mara
DS, woman, you are just insano. ''Oh 7.2 may be too small and 7.6 may be too big so maybe 7.4mm would be good''. How long has it taken you to get this far?????? Are you really thinking of haggling over .2mm?

Save us all! Buy the 1.63!
31.gif
It shrinks.
True that!!!
9.gif

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I am NOT a size whore and I say that the 1.63 if the stone for you. It does not look too big on your hand, and I am a big believer in snatching up diamonds that somehow beat the numbers. An H that measures a G....I''m all over that!

It is gorgeous.

And as someone who was very indifferent about diamonds until I was in my thirties, I say DON''T listen to your daughter
2.gif
. She''ll grow into the love and someday will the phrase "family heirloom" will make her drool!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I lived alone and you were all my local friends, I'd be deciding whether the 1.63 is too small!

Listen to this. My 20 year old daughter comes in and I open the ring boxes for her. Her first comment is, they look just alike. Then, no, one is a little bigger than the other. And last, gosh, they look like those big ol' CZ rings in Walmart! This one is TOO big!!! Why don't you just reset your old diamond?
32.gif

She is very much a setting girl. She doesn't like my idea of the Tiffany repro setting, but that is her taste and I don't care. But she does have the perception that most people around here don't wear diamond solitaires this big, and that would be the problem. I won't tell my husband her opinion and see what he says. (Oh, my 10 year old loves the big one! But she likes big sparkles!)

ETA: wallermama, "I say DON'T listen to your daughter!" THANKS for that comment!!!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I have to agree with everyone else. Up to the 1.3 from a 1 carat just isn''t enough! I feel very sure that if you have the upgrade bug now, it will be back in a few years if you get the 1.3. They sound like gorgeous stones, and measuring as a G sure makes the 1.6 a lot sweeter (G''s are my favorite). If you are concerned about the size in certain situations, you can always just wear your eternity band or get a 1 carat equivalent CZ set in your old setting.

kristy_lyn

Shiny_Rock
I guess the 10 year old gets the inheritance then! :) Lucky her! :)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol don''t listen to a young girl!!! they don''t know a thing about jewelry. hehee. my 15 year old sister thought my old rock was HUGEEEE and now this one is EVEN HUGGEERRRR....(her words)...she probably thinks it''s horribly gaudy. But I know in another 10 years she will be drooling over it and her future boyfriends will just hate me!

and YES it DOES shrink over time. trust me....no one actually believes it but at first it looks huge then people around you (yourself included) get used to it! i think that 1 to 1.6 is a perfect jump for ''forever'' if you are not a size whore. honestly i am thinking ''why bother to go from a 1 to a 1.35'' kinda thing as it''s not that much bigger! make the real jump count, you deserve it!

and yes i do think that the diamond looks a little smaller when set a little lower on the hand than in that big ring holder thing. i definitely remember that from trying on stones when we were first shopping.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FF, I am keeping my old diamond in it''s original setting, so you are right that I could wear the old set at times I might not want to show the bling.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Oh sorry, my mistake, I thought you were selling it. Heck, if you get to keep your 1 carat...DEFINITELY go big on the upgrade. You have a back-up to wear in situations where you don''t want to be too blingie. And, you can put in on sometimes once that 1.6 starts feeling small and fight off future shrinkage! :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/12/2006 3:09:38 PM
Author: kristy_lyn
I guess the 10 year old gets the inheritance then! :) Lucky her! :)
Haha! Yep, the older daughter can have the good cut 1 ct.! May as well make up the will now while she''s saying that!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/12/2006 3:10:30 PM
Author: Mara
lol don''t listen to a young girl!!! they don''t know a thing about jewelry. hehee. my 15 year old sister thought my old rock was HUGEEEE and now this one is EVEN HUGGEERRRR....(her words)...she probably thinks it''s horribly gaudy. But I know in another 10 years she will be drooling over it and her future boyfriends will just hate me!

and YES it DOES shrink over time. trust me....no one actually believes it but at first it looks huge then people around you (yourself included) get used to it! i think that 1 to 1.6 is a perfect jump for ''forever'' if you are not a size whore. honestly i am thinking ''why bother to go from a 1 to a 1.35'' kinda thing as it''s not that much bigger! make the real jump count, you deserve it!

and yes i do think that the diamond looks a little smaller when set a little lower on the hand than in that big ring holder thing. i definitely remember that from trying on stones when we were first shopping.
Mara, your recent pictures of your friends ring next to yours did help me think of 1.6 as smaller! I pretty much feel that I have ruled out the 1.37 for the reason you and others mention. Good, I''m glad the lower setting will help it look more normal!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you still need those pics sized?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, thanks! I figured it out with a little help from some instructions on here somewhere! I resized all the pictures I posted!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, just making sure!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi DS, just checking back in. I do agree that since your keeping your old stone, go for the bigger one. You can wear your 1 carat ring during events or times when you''d feel uncomfortable with the bigger one. but why have 2 rings that look about the same size even if one is better cut and mind clean. make it count woman and enjoy it. I think the 1.6 looks perfect on you and not too big at all.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
DS really they do both look terrific and the size difference is not all that much between them. Just go with the one YOU love and never look back!!!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/12/2006 2:57:33 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Listen to this. My 20 year old daughter comes in and I open the ring boxes for her. Her first comment is, they look just alike. Then, no, one is a little bigger than the other. And last, gosh, they look like those big ol'' CZ rings in Walmart! This one is TOO big!!! Why don''t you just reset your old diamond?
32.gif

Hey, ds2006, when I got my upgrade, my 19 year old said, "you''re getting a BIGGER diamond? Don''t you think it''s a bit much?"

I said, "well, someday it will be yours and you have big fingers. you''ll need a big one".

Then she said, "lemme see that ..... that''s nice!"

LOL

Listen, you never know what is motivating the opinion of a kid that age. Maybe they just don''t like seeing us get an expensive little bauble!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results