shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts around engagement ring boxes/packaging; Black by Brian Gavin

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
Wow that’s a terrible consumer response from BGD. I would think he would want perfection on his reputation. I wouldn’t settle with what they gave you.

Brian said they were going to look at it and give feedback next week.

I just hope he was sandbagging me with the whole expectations thing haha. Based on the posts here on PS, he has all true intention of re-aligning the darkish melee and making sure it’s perfect.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the melee should be fixed. The box is the box, although I’m in the camp of really loving presentation of a gift. Good luck.
Btw - I felt BG got a tad exasperated with me on my project.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another recent design I saw and liked was this box that closes into a name card sized box (convenient for sneaking the ring around in and no odd bulges in the pocket!). And it opens up into a beautiful rose. Really pretty irl. It’s a box that I would really be thrilled to receive cos it’s so pretty.

C0DE8D34-36CE-457C-AFC8-C6FB4584E035.png
CC288F46-606B-4449-BD2B-2C32D8F0427A.png
0492114F-8673-403C-AF09-741CFC40D286.jpeg
Link to Kickstarter page that has videos showing how it opens:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ng-case-to-create-your-timeless?ref=user_menu
They're cool, thanks for posting!

One of those would have saved me much stress - getting a ring through customs without comment (by the customs officers and your partner) is not a relaxing event lol.

I think I tucked mine into a secure plastic bag then rubber-banded it between credit cards, so that when it was in the tray going through, it couldn't be seen by anyone but the person with the x-ray screen!!

One of those would easily fit between things, much easier than the bulky cube I had in the hold luggage to use when the moment came!

(I've just remember that the missus even checked the safe in the hotel room once in a while, to see if I'd brought anything along on the holiday... LOL :lol: IIRC I kept that ring in my pocket basically the whole time we went out and about from the place we were staying, and I had to keep it safely tucked away in my bag when we were staying back at the place instead of going out!)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great macro pictures of the ring!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m a sucker for packaging. For me, it adds (or detracts) something to the experience. I’ll never forget the disappointment I felt when I received my old Leon Mege ring in a ziplock baggy. It was quite a shock. I’ll also never forget the thrill I got when I opened my first Van Cleef and Arpels package. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning. Even though I already knew what was inside, it was such a fun experience to open. I love seeing the boxes that JAR used for his jewels. They were masterpieces in their own right. I know it’s “just a box,” but cheap packaging cheapens the experience for me.

As far as BGD is concerned, I had a very disappointing experience with them earlier this year. I had a single 1.8ct heart-shaped diamond I purchased loose from James Allen set into their milgrained bezel stud earring. I live in Houston, so BGD is local and easy for me. I noticed a distinct rattle whenever I would press it against my ear to put it on. When I inspected the earring, the diamond was obviously loose in the bezel and I could even wiggle it with my fingertip. When I took it back to Lesley, she informed me that a bezel is a completely secure setting and that there was no way it could be loose. Her jeweler looked at it and gave it back to me later that week, still loose on the UNPOLISHED setting. They had to take it back and repolish it. When I finally got it back, the stone rattled even more. I was in a rush when I collected it, but when I got home and noticed it, I called Lesley, and she was very exasperated with me and told me that if I wasn’t satisfied and “imagined” the clicking, I would have to pay them to remake the setting. I was really upset by her response, as I’ve used them for several small earring projects and never experienced anything like that.

I put the earring in my jewelry box and just didn’t think about it for a few weeks. I finally took it to another jeweler here in Houston, and after looking at it under magnification in my presence, he informed me that from what he could see, the tip of the heart had been chipped by the bezel, and that was the rattling that I heard. Ever since then, the diamond has sat in my jewelry box. I never told my husband because he would hit the roof and want to go to BGD in person to deal with it. I hate confrontation, so much so that I have basically eaten $9500 on a stone that I will never wear again.

I hope they’re able to fix your ring without trying to make you feel that you’re being unreasonable or “imagining a problem.” It’s a lovely setting.

Wow. That is terrible!

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have had a friend with a very poor customer service from BGD with great difficulty returning an obviously wrong size 360 eternity ring.

For all the praise, I can't say there has been a consistent good feedback for managing certain issues with BGD like there are with WF and HPD which would probably skew my future purchases. I hope your issues are promptly resolved, and I agree fixing that melee doesn't really need all the lowering expectation chat, rather than just getting on and doing it ...

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
I think the melee should be fixed. The box is the box, although I’m in the camp of really loving presentation of a gift. Good luck.
Btw - I felt BG got a tad exasperated with me on my project.

Yeah, I feel that Brian doesn’t think the melee is an issue on my ring, even though I told him it appears the melee is missing in low-light situations, while the surrounding melee remains shimmery.

Basically my fear on this is that he and his team thinks I’m seeing ghosts. If he doesn’t see my perspective, then he will just think I’m making stuff up to be annoying. He’ll just become exasperated.

The lack of being able to align expectations is what is super annoying. I wish I lived closer to Houston hah.

example 3.jpg
example 1.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never told my husband because he would hit the roof and want to go to BGD in person to deal with it. I hate confrontation, so much so that I have basically eaten $9500 on a stone that I will never wear again.

I hope they’re able to fix your ring without trying to make you feel that you’re being unreasonable or “imagining a problem.” It’s a lovely setting.

Wow. Just wow. I’d tell your husband and let him deal with it ASAP. This is truly unacceptable and hating confrontation or not, this is beyond not ok. Bad workmanship and accusing you of imagining things is one thing; damaging your property is another.

@holeydonut, this makes way more sense now. You are not being crazy. I have a huggy earring from another vendor that has a crooked melee stone like you’ve got on your ring, and it makes the diamond look black - like it’s one huge inclusion. I have to wear it on the side that gets hidden by my hair. I would have returned it for repair, but the shipping cost for me would have been more than the price of the earring (I’m international). I’d insist on a repair or it will bug you forever. I honestly can’t believe that they’re suggesting that you are being too picky for wanting your melee to be set correctly.

@Jade217, that makes total sense. I was picturing a surprise photographer during the actual event, not a post proposal engagement party (which we have too) with posed pictures. I was wondering how people were managing to hide the photographer! :lol-2:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m a sucker for packaging. For me, it adds (or detracts) something to the experience. I’ll never forget the disappointment I felt when I received my old Leon Mege ring in a ziplock baggy. It was quite a shock. I’ll also never forget the thrill I got when I opened my first Van Cleef and Arpels package. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning. Even though I already knew what was inside, it was such a fun experience to open. I love seeing the boxes that JAR used for his jewels. They were masterpieces in their own right. I know it’s “just a box,” but cheap packaging cheapens the experience for me.

As far as BGD is concerned, I had a very disappointing experience with them earlier this year. I had a single 1.8ct heart-shaped diamond I purchased loose from James Allen set into their milgrained bezel stud earring. I live in Houston, so BGD is local and easy for me. I noticed a distinct rattle whenever I would press it against my ear to put it on. When I inspected the earring, the diamond was obviously loose in the bezel and I could even wiggle it with my fingertip. When I took it back to Lesley, she informed me that a bezel is a completely secure setting and that there was no way it could be loose. Her jeweler looked at it and gave it back to me later that week, still loose on the UNPOLISHED setting. They had to take it back and repolish it. When I finally got it back, the stone rattled even more. I was in a rush when I collected it, but when I got home and noticed it, I called Lesley, and she was very exasperated with me and told me that if I wasn’t satisfied and “imagined” the clicking, I would have to pay them to remake the setting. I was really upset by her response, as I’ve used them for several small earring projects and never experienced anything like that.

I put the earring in my jewelry box and just didn’t think about it for a few weeks. I finally took it to another jeweler here in Houston, and after looking at it under magnification in my presence, he informed me that from what he could see, the tip of the heart had been chipped by the bezel, and that was the rattling that I heard. Ever since then, the diamond has sat in my jewelry box. I never told my husband because he would hit the roof and want to go to BGD in person to deal with it. I hate confrontation, so much so that I have basically eaten $9500 on a stone that I will never wear again.

Do you have photos of the chipped diamond? I can imagine it must have been quite a shock to find out it was damaged!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Please, please reconsider having the stone removed and appraised :eek-2:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
They're cool, thanks for posting!

One of those would have saved me much stress - getting a ring through customs without comment (by the customs officers and your partner) is not a relaxing event lol.

I think I tucked mine into a secure plastic bag then rubber-banded it between credit cards, so that when it was in the tray going through, it couldn't be seen by anyone but the person with the x-ray screen!!

One of those would easily fit between things, much easier than the bulky cube I had in the hold luggage to use when the moment came!

(I've just remember that the missus even checked the safe in the hotel room once in a while, to see if I'd brought anything along on the holiday... LOL :lol: IIRC I kept that ring in my pocket basically the whole time we went out and about from the place we were staying, and I had to keep it safely tucked away in my bag when we were staying back at the place instead of going out!)

My husband told me about the same problem he had trying to hide the ring from me when he proposed :lol:

Which is why when I saw the card holder design, I thought it was genius and totally solves the problem of hiding a cube shaped box in the pocket aka pretty impossible lol.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs jam The chipped diamond can also be recut. I'd certainly take it to an appraiser, and although it is probably too late to approach BG with the damage, I'd want to talk with another vendor about sending it for repair.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate the eco-friendly sentiment as much as I appreciate a good box. :lol:

Bell & Bird makes all of my box dreams come true. These are the kind you pass down generations:
2018-09-21_14-26-16.jpg 2018-09-21_14-25-55.jpg 2018-09-21_14-25-41.jpg
Wow! These are amazing! I have already sent an enquiry to Bell & Bird. Do you have any apptoximate figure in terms of costs?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP: sorry to hear about the mediocre customer service. I am sure they will do their best to make it right for you.

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock

I really hope you can reach a resolution on this with them, I think businesses that are popular see so many customers that they naturally think that “they’ve seen it all”... and they start to make judgements on situations before understanding the nuances.

In your case, the amount of disconnect between what Brian’s team did versus what they think they were responsible for is a huge gap. If it’s possible, there should be a way to work with them without a severe confrontation to address the issue.

If your diamond was damaged due to proximate cause working with Brian’s team, he should want to understand what could have happened to avoid these type of scenarios.

Last edited:

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I didn’t insure the earring stud. I wore it with a diamond arrow stud in my other ear, so it’s not part of a matching set. The only jewelry item I keep insured is my solitaire since that’s the only item I wouldn’t be able to replace in a timely manner due to its cost.

At this point, I’m not going to confront BGD with the issue. I’ve let too much time pass, as this incident took place around March or April. I simply won’t use them for future projects since there is certainly no shortage of jewelers in Houston.

As for my chipped heart, there is an estate jeweler here with an amazing collection of vintage eternity bands that I have recently been coveting. They have offered to accept the heart diamond as a trade-in for two bands that are on my wish list. I’ve been trying to decide whether I want to try to have the heart recut, but I’m leaning toward trading it in for the bands. It’s so hard to find a chubby heart with faceting that I like since they’re all so different, and I don’t want to go through the recutting and end up not loving the stone anymore, plus I really don’t want a smaller stone for a stud. I’ll lose money on the stone, but I’d get two rings that I really love.

Sorry for the thread jack, OP. I’m sure BGD will be able to fix the melee for you as that doesn’t seem like it would be a difficult or unreasonable thing for a jeweler to do. It’s good that you’re taking care of it from the get-go. If I had to do it over again, I would have sucked it up, put on my big girl pants, and gone in to have a conversation with Brian to try to get my issue resolved. I’ve allowed too much time to pass without saying anything, and I would not expect them to take my word for it that the stone was somehow damaged in the setting process.

Best of luck!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! These are amazing! I have already sent an enquiry to Bell & Bird. Do you have any apptoximate figure in terms of costs?

The small ring box is $375 and fits 6-9 rings:
BE3263C7-3B69-4F3F-9509-11854663294B.jpeg

These are $580:
4D1E8AAD-73B1-4EB6-B10F-F1B8E09C0974.jpeg
C3395F07-5C44-4BA7-8193-56BC8453B361.jpeg
And this is $750:
FD36A20F-37B0-445F-85A2-0A44778AD70E.jpeg

The quilting of the lid is done by hand and the French silk velvet is as luxurious as it gets.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree with @holeydonut on this one... I was less than impressed to see BG's packaging. I would've thought it would be more luxe. That said, if you do get another box, I'd definitely get one that has two slots - one for ering and one for wband. Although my jewelry lives in a velvet tray in my dresser, I still like one with two slots for travel. There are tons of really beautiful boxes on Etsy, and I also found some really cute ones for the money on Amazon as well.

Here is the one I just purchased (only in black) - SUPER affordable and cute too! I mean, YA'LL!! It's $14! ...and is it just me, or does the ring in the pink version look super similar my CVB Jovyn?? Amirite???
51ohb3PkPWL._SL1000_.jpg

51XUta5CvtL._SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DFKYB18/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2AA7JBA7QFGOR&psc=1

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mm, not impressed with BGD customer service at all. It’s normal to make mistakes, but the way a jeweller handles these determine the level of customer service...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The small ring box is $375 and fits 6-9 rings:
BE3263C7-3B69-4F3F-9509-11854663294B.jpeg

These are $580:
4D1E8AAD-73B1-4EB6-B10F-F1B8E09C0974.jpeg
C3395F07-5C44-4BA7-8193-56BC8453B361.jpeg
And this is $750:
FD36A20F-37B0-445F-85A2-0A44778AD70E.jpeg

The quilting of the lid is done by hand and the French silk velvet is as luxurious as it gets.

Okay, I am tempted again. Can't resist. These are gorgeous.

I have the idea of having one special box per daughter and granddaughter in which I will put a few special pieces to give them and they can add the other pieces I give them over time. However, I may use Wolf Designs for those and just keep my favorites in these. lol!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have the idea of having one special box per daughter and granddaughter in which I will put a few special pieces to give them and they can add the other pieces I give them over time. However, I may use Wolf Designs for those and just keep my favorites in these. lol!

I can be your daughter/granddaughter/whatever if you have too many rings... or if there is an odd one left lying around. Just putting it out there. ;-)

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That would be a lovely gift! You can even have the boxes heat-stamped with their initials.

Just as an FYI, communication from Bell & Bird was very slow and took a lot of patience and follow-ups.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This post blows my mind because I am totally a packaging wh*re. I have even wanted to buy jewellery purely because it came in a gorgeous laquered wooden box!! And I save my sentimental boxes FOREVER. My original e-ring came in this Uber cheap little cardboard box and I’ve saved it but it’s not fancy at all.

I’ve bought a Mrs box, vintage boxes, and just love boxes. If I spent more than $500 on a ring, I would appreciate a nice box. If I spent more than $1000 on a ring - I’d expect it. Presentation is everything, IMO!

I can’t believe BGD has never heard that “the customer is always right”. The box, at least, seems to be a very easy thing to fix and it was unnecessary (and not smart) to make the OP feel bad or weird about asking. Just ludicrous.

OP, if BGD doesn’t find a nice box for you, I would suggest finding one online that suits the personality of your FF or of the ring itself. Blue interiors will make the ring look extra white. Avoid white interior, IMO. And best wishes!

TL;DR - the box is super important to me, so obviously everyone is different :)

Last edited:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly I don’t even know how this is a question. With the fame of the “little blue box” - clearly merchants are aware that presentation can make a big deal and cause flutters in the heart of your beloved! Clearly some women aren’t particular about the box... but that also means they wouldn’t care if the box was nicer than they need it to be... right? Why not err on the side of delighting your customers? Fascinating.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results