shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts around engagement ring boxes/packaging; Black by Brian Gavin

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I actually like the box, its a nice shape and i like the outside color vs inside black. I really dont think your FI would notice it not being wood or velvet or something. The one way i may see being worried is if your doing pictures and like hiking or somehting and are afraid you might smudge the outside.
I would be more concerned with addressing crooked melee?>

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, these are so lovely and I have a couple!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFamilyJoolz

I am in agreement with you on this one, @holeydonut! I don't care how eco-conscious one is, a proposal is intended to be a once in a lifetime event, and when presenting the most special piece of jewelry most women ever receive, I would expect a fine quality box with a fine quality ring.

Victor Canera has very high quality boxes, and Caysie van Bebber has used the velvet ones like those in the link above for most of my rings. I consider those the best I have had, but I do like the WF boxes as well. They used to have enamel black wooden boxes which I really loved. That's what I think BG should be using for his "black" line, at least! He needs to offer two options, the eco-cardboard and a wooden or velvet box.

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
*Chews on popcorn.* My wife's replacement BGD wedding ring arrives next week. Looking forward to seeing what her response will be to the box. Waiting for @sledge to share his thoughts.

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
*Chews on popcorn.* My wife's replacement BGD wedding ring arrives next week. Looking forward to seeing what her response will be to the box. Waiting for @sledge to share his thoughts.

Is she getting a Black by Brian Gavin or his Signature line? Someone posted their 810 collection emerald cut halo in the Bling forum. The Signature box is shown there.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the box and the eco-consciousness of it but that’s just my preference. I don’t even know which box my engagement ring came in as that wasn’t the part I cared about. I agree with other posters that there are other great boxes to purchase if you want to present it in something different.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you want something for her to keep, why not have one made?
https://www.danielscustommade.com/c...s/personalized-wood-ring-box-cube-calligraphy
1_9b6d52f0-dccb-4bd3-867c-ecb00dbbce9a_1024x1024.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/288198...nXmzttZhciNborWlThOqkXEf2K4Gl1b8aAhdUEALw_wcB
il_570xN.1460108285_p2yv.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/464157..._5MqghoGorzaNH1Uyk9Alm-ib9JO3nz0aAr-6EALw_wcB
il_570xN.1466876719_ed2v.jpg

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Is she getting a Black by Brian Gavin or his Signature line? Someone posted their 810 collection emerald cut halo in the Bling forum. The Signature box is shown there.

Signature line.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be taking a lot of pictures of he ring inside the box for memories. Especially if you’re planning on doing some sort of engagement photoshoot.

This must be a generational thing. Wow. People do this now? (I'm genuinely asking, I'm not being sarcastic, because this blows my mind).

My proposal was on a walk under Christmas lights in our favourite park with just the two of us. That ring was not in the box long enough to warrant a picture (it was on my finger being admired, even before I said yes). I did, however, take pictures afterwards on my hand and again during our wedding we got some pictures of our hands with our new rings. So I remember the ring, how happy I was, and the fact that it was snowing under fairy lights. The box? Meh.

But if there is going to be a big photo extravaganza, I can see wanting to make sure the box looks nice.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care about the box at all; I'm buying the piece of jewelry and have zero expectation for the packaging it comes in. If I don't like it, I don't use it. If I was concerned about having a special box, I'd pick it out and pay for it myself.

Crooked melee? Yeah, that would be a major concern. I am particularly frustrated when I receive jewelry that is clearly sub-standard upon first look, yet somehow it passed the vendor's QC? Super irritating to have to bring it to their attention, send it back, wait for it to be repaired or re-done, wait for it to be shipped again ... I feel for you, OP.

Jade217

Rough_Rock
This must be a generational thing. Wow. People do this now? (I'm genuinely asking, I'm not being sarcastic, because this blows my mind).

My proposal was on a walk under Christmas lights in our favourite park with just the two of us. That ring was not in the box long enough to warrant a picture (it was on my finger being admired, even before I said yes). I did, however, take pictures afterwards on my hand and again during our wedding we got some pictures of our hands with our new rings. So I remember the ring, how happy I was, and the fact that it was snowing under fairy lights. The box? Meh.

But if there is going to be a big photo extravaganza, I can see wanting to make sure the box looks nice.
It could be generational. I don’t know if it’s necessarily the norm, but I guess I’m also looking for photos/inspiration like this because I was recently married (I didn’t have a traditional proposal actually). I think it’s nice memory to have.

A lot of people (from what I’ve seen) op for engagement parties and engagement photoshoots. There’s where you see a lot of these pictures, there’s usually pictures dedicated to the rings. I will say it’s typical staged though. It’s done after to capture the special moment.

I think it can also show the couples’ creativity with some opting for custom boxes. I don’t think it has to be a competition for the best brand, just a nice box. I like the presentation of it. I can also see why people don’t really give a hoot about the box though.

Your proposal sounds really romantic btw!

Some inspiration pictures from a quick Pinterest search (my go to lol):
4E978F7A-EEAB-4517-9850-62450AEFF6E1.jpeg 040F6125-3056-454A-A81F-883343F9D51C.jpeg 7566D361-193A-4DB2-AA73-14675E956A39.jpeg 0BFDD848-4AE5-42E0-8BA6-19C09F6D5318.jpeg

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I can understand where @holeydonut is coming from since a proposal is a significant event. But personally I don’t really care about the box so long as it doesn’t look too cheap since I see it for all of maybe 5 secs before I move on to the bling within. Then after that the box is chucked along in the drawer with dozens of other boxes, wooden or not. I use my own velvet tray so the boxes are never used again. I’ve felt bad about it on more than one occasion since it’s really such a waste of resources especially when the box is nice, like those wooden ones.

But as mentioned I do understand that proposals are a significant event. Maybe a win-win is for vendors to offer two options? A “standard” box that is made of decent/eco friendly cardboard or whatever, and an “upgrade” version for maybe $20-30 more for a wooden box. That way folks like me don’t need to feel too bad, and those who need a nicer box can get what they need. I don’t even mind a “no frills” option for say a slight discount like $20 off and then just send me the item in a velvet pouch or whatever so long as the items are properly wrapped and protected from damage during transit.

As for those who are looking at nice/memorable boxes to propose with, I’ve always liked boxes with built in led light to bling up the ring during proposal, like in a dim location or whatever. You know, sparkles! Something like this:

4E3EA080-AF94-4487-B970-9B553A239650.jpeg
D8D344D9-9504-4053-9793-F5D5F7F985FE.jpeg

Another recent design I saw and liked was this box that closes into a name card sized box (convenient for sneaking the ring around in and no odd bulges in the pocket!). And it opens up into a beautiful rose. Really pretty irl. It’s a box that I would really be thrilled to receive cos it’s so pretty.

C0DE8D34-36CE-457C-AFC8-C6FB4584E035.png
CC288F46-606B-4449-BD2B-2C32D8F0427A.png
0492114F-8673-403C-AF09-741CFC40D286.jpeg
Link to Kickstarter page that has videos showing how it opens:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ng-case-to-create-your-timeless?ref=user_menu

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well, I for one appreciate BGD’s stance on using more eco friendly materials. I would prefer this and the sentiment behind it! We are all different and value different things!

If you have an issue with the box, maybe invest your own money in what you want! The box is gorgeous and I’d be happy with either his black one or the white one... as with everything, it’s what’s on the inside that counts!

Vendors can’t please everyone and I would prefer my Vendor to have an environmental conscience than a box that still won’t please everyone!

Good on BGD for taking a step in the right direction!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My husband was more excited about the box than I was, it came with the little spot light, he was like look at the light! *eye roll* we have lots of mix matched boxes from his inherited jewelry and I hate it. That being said everything is shoved in the gun safe (which I had to force him to get) and I want my own jewelry safe instead so I can “spread” things out. I could care less about the boxes except for the whole photo shoot thing, sometimes I get bored at home and a jewelry photo session sounds nice :lol:

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I totally get the black interior choice for the box. I much prefer to see a ring contrasted against black, rather than the much more common, white. My favourite ring boxes are the Tiffany suede in all black, they're also the perfect size for a ring to look impressive rather than cramped in its surroundings. I have a couple of those rather cumbersome wooden boxes in the rather unattractive reddish hue that American jewelry internet stores seem so fond of. My favourite wooden box from the States is a smaller one in a more mahogany colour with a soft camel suede interior. Yellow gold rings and gemstone rings look dreamy in it. Most of the time my rings sit in a tray because I like having the gang together and seeing how they compare and contrast with each other. Now and then I like putting individual rings into my favourite ring boxes; it makes them feel exclusive!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry. Been slammed at work.

I haven't read all the other responses but will try to snap a few pics of my fiancee's box when I can. Hers was black with what felt like a leather padding on the top.

She absolutely loved the box as it had a light that came on when you opened up. In fact she played with it for a second and mentioned to the crowd (while I was on my knee). She was enamoured by it, lol. Closed it and opened it a few times like it would change.

Later that night she gave to her mom for safe holding, as we live in a different town than where I proposed and her mom still has the box.

I will try to get pics. But honestly neither of us care much about the box compared to the ring itself.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very good points about the the recipient not really caring too much about the box at the time of the proposal! I certainly had a standard jewelry store ring box back in the day :lol:. I may or may not still have it. The boxes I do save are branded ones like Tiffany, because those are valuable.

I look at the box as an extra keepsake and certainly not an essential. That said, I noticed TheFamilyJoolz also has wooden boxes now.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/529456667/wooden-ring-box-curly-maple-wood-ring?ref=shop_home_active_30

https://www.etsy.com/listing/503813117/wood-and-velvet-oval-burl-ring-box?ref=shop_home_active_17

https://www.etsy.com/listing/527006728/cherry-wood-ring-box-wood-ring-bearer?ref=shop_home_active_26

One thing that I do recommend is getting some kind of ring holder to put on the bathroom vanity so anytime the rings come off, they can be left in one place. Then they are handy to put on the next morning once the person is dressed and ready for the day. Having one place to take the rings on and off means never misplacing them. I just find that crystal holds up better on the vanity than a velvet or wooden box. I put my daily wear earrings in it, also.

Waterford Crystal makes some, and there are many other kinds.

LismoreRingHolder.jpg

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yep. The "Signature" box boggles my mind. Why would you want to rely on a ribbon bow (that could come undone or slide off) as the "security" keeping the two halves of the box together? o_O

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don’t like the wooden boxes - they remind me of little coffins! Gross!

I don’t tend to keep the boxes the jewellery comes it - it all gets put in its place in my stackers jewellery box so nice packing is kinda lost on me. But I do think a special box for an engagement ring is really important. I do have that one somewhere still.

James Allen packaging is completely over the top. I felt I had to make use of the boxes cos it felt too wasteful to throw it away.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went back thinking about my 1979 proposal. It was a small black velvet box. The ring looked stunning inside. I don’t have it anymore. I do have all my WF boxes. I remember being so impressed with the wooden boxes. I also have blue Nile boxes. Not so nice but good for keeping.

kuriso

Rough_Rock
I love this thread on engagement boxes because when my fiance proposed with the VC emilya, I was a bit disappointed that it came in a generic plasticky black ring box. Fiance told me he actually was also a bit disappointed because the way it was packaged in the shipping sleeve felt rather generic and not special. From what I know, VC (back in 12/2017) was in the process of updating their boxes and logos which is why we didn't get the original VC signature box. If anyone has a VC ring, can you share with me what the packaging looks like and let me know when you got it? I really want the VC box because I am a super sentimental person!

I know that some may not agree as everyone is different but I just happen to like keeping things as a full set.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never saved any of the boxes from jewelry purchases. All have been donated to my local artist community. Don’t like boxes because you can’t see whether something is in it or not.

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the comments, I’ll look into an alternatively sourced ring box- both for the proposal and to help keep the diamond safe when it’s not being worn.

@tlfiore thanks for the offer, but I don’t need to trouble you for the box.

I think I’m just frustrated at Brian Gavin’s comments to me yesterday about the melee issue I’m having.

Some melee look dark and crooked which doesn’t require a loupe to see the problem... and instead of saying he’d fix it, he asked me to accept the gap tooth look as a more realistic expectation of his work. He’s still going to take a look at making it better, but he’s opening up with trying to manage down my expectation instead of managing his output up to the level of what I thought I was getting during the sales process.

I think nit picking the card-stock box was just part of my frustration with this ring buying ordeal.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the comments, I’ll look into an alternatively sourced ring box- both for the proposal and to help keep the diamond safe when it’s not being worn.

@tlfiore thanks for the offer, but I don’t need to trouble you for the box.

I think I’m just frustrated at Brian Gavin’s comments to me yesterday about the melee issue I’m having.

Some melee look dark and crooked which doesn’t require a loupe to see the problem... and instead of saying he’d fix it, he asked me to accept the gap tooth look as a more realistic expectation of his work. He’s still going to take a look at making it better, but he’s opening up with trying to manage down my expectation instead of managing his output up to the level of what I thought I was getting during the sales process.

I think nit picking the card-stock box was just part of my frustration with this ring buying ordeal.

Wow. That is an unacceptable response from BG!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry you are having issues @holeydonut. Do you mind to post pictures of the melee issue? I am curious about that more so than the box.

Although I bought my diamond from BGD, the setting was custom made by DK. So maybe that is why my box and experience is different than yours. Lesley was amazing and made my experience with BGD memorable and cherished.

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
@sledge,

BGD's team has been very supportive. I think the most jarring part of this was hearing from Brian (in that charming accent of is) how imperfections are to be expected and whatever I'm seeing is part of his art. The gap-tooth is rather hard to pick up with a camera, because the issue is more around how the gap-tooth looks next to its peer melee. So the gap tooth is easy to see live when you can turn the ring in your hand, even without a loupe.

Low-light conditions make the problem even worse since the dark diamond simply looks missing. The problem is that I don't have a camera that can get a focused/clear photo in low-light. (iPhone)

Brian has the ring and has personally inspected it. He's seen these pictures. He basically said this was the best he and his team could do. But he'll ask them to re-visit it... but not to expect anything. I'll learn more next week.

The problem of crooked appearance is on both sides of the ring... these are just some examples. Some more zoomed out, and two super-duper zoomed in to prove there's a reason I keep seeing a gap tooth.

Bottom line, a couple of melee diamonds are seated irregular to the surrounding stones, which causes the crooked diamond to appear darker. It's definitely the difference between near perfect and 99.99%. But I went with BGD because they said they could deliver 99.99%.

When the FF asked me "did a melee fall out? it looks dark here"... I think that's when things fell to 50%.

Even zoomed out, you can see something just doesn't look 'right'
example 3.jpg

Zoomed in a bit... it's crooked
example 1.jpg

When everything else is perfect on the shank, it can make the one crooked thing stands out
example 2.jpg

One side zoomed in...
example 4.jpg

Other side...
example 5.jpg

Brian said ~5 degrees variance is fine... but I think it causes the stone to look darker than the rest.
example 6.jpg

Last edited:

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I’m a sucker for packaging. For me, it adds (or detracts) something to the experience. I’ll never forget the disappointment I felt when I received my old Leon Mege ring in a ziplock baggy. It was quite a shock. I’ll also never forget the thrill I got when I opened my first Van Cleef and Arpels package. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning. Even though I already knew what was inside, it was such a fun experience to open. I love seeing the boxes that JAR used for his jewels. They were masterpieces in their own right. I know it’s “just a box,” but cheap packaging cheapens the experience for me.

As far as BGD is concerned, I had a very disappointing experience with them earlier this year. I had a single 1.8ct heart-shaped diamond I purchased loose from James Allen set into their milgrained bezel stud earring. I live in Houston, so BGD is local and easy for me. I noticed a distinct rattle whenever I would press it against my ear to put it on. When I inspected the earring, the diamond was obviously loose in the bezel and I could even wiggle it with my fingertip. When I took it back to Lesley, she informed me that a bezel is a completely secure setting and that there was no way it could be loose. Her jeweler looked at it and gave it back to me later that week, still loose on the UNPOLISHED setting. They had to take it back and repolish it. When I finally got it back, the stone rattled even more. I was in a rush when I collected it, but when I got home and noticed it, I called Lesley, and she was very exasperated with me and told me that if I wasn’t satisfied and “imagined” the clicking, I would have to pay them to remake the setting. I was really upset by her response, as I’ve used them for several small earring projects and never experienced anything like that.

I put the earring in my jewelry box and just didn’t think about it for a few weeks. I finally took it to another jeweler here in Houston, and after looking at it under magnification in my presence, he informed me that from what he could see, the tip of the heart had been chipped by the bezel, and that was the rattling that I heard. Ever since then, the diamond has sat in my jewelry box. I never told my husband because he would hit the roof and want to go to BGD in person to deal with it. I hate confrontation, so much so that I have basically eaten $9500 on a stone that I will never wear again.

I hope they’re able to fix your ring without trying to make you feel that you’re being unreasonable or “imagining a problem.” It’s a lovely setting.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that’s a terrible consumer response from BGD. I would think he would want perfection on his reputation. I wouldn’t settle with what they gave you.

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
Yeah that’s my worry... that they’ll accuse me of making up something and getting exasperated instead of fixing it.

To be honest, that’s why I’m so worried about them fixing this ring. I worry about the scenario where they get fed up on this sale and somehow drop their standards out frustration and anger.

I know I’ve been picky about everything in this 810 halo. But it was such a big purchase, and I prefaced them up front I wasn’t going to set a low bar. But it seems many PS-ers think I’ve set the bar too high? I dunno... BGD said they were up to this challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results