shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts around engagement ring boxes/packaging; Black by Brian Gavin

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
I learned something interesting today around the ring packaging if you order a diamond/setting from Brian Gavin Diamonds, and the diamond is from his "pinnacle" Black by Brian Gavin line.

While I understand Brian Gavin Diamonds is not a Cartier, Harry Winston, Tiffany premium/luxury dealer, I found his default ring box to be interesting looking, but of a very low-end build quality.

Basically, the box is waxed card-stock with a spongy/mount that holds the ring. Here's an snippet of my unboxing a 1.8 carat Black by Brian Gavin mounted in his signature 810 collection. I do not have the ring and box in my possession right now since I had to send the ring back to Brian Gavin diamonds for repair.

The box has a very novel/interesting physical layout, and at first blush looks classy. It's the construction materials and build quality that are suspicious... because holding it in your hands feels like holding the cardboard that one might see with cosmetic jewelry ordered from QVC. If this box were made out of aluminum/steel I could almost see it as an interesting alternative to a ring box.

And here are some up-close pictures provided by another Black by Brian Gavin customer:
http://www.myengagementringexperience.com/2017/11/free-international-shipping-from-brian.html

IMG_20171107_231228_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171107_231228_HDR2.jpg

I spoke with Brian Gavin today about obtaining a higher quality box from his company for my proposal. He explained that he feels a ring box made out of wood doesn't represent what he wanted in his Black by Brian Gavin line. He said that luxury wooden boxes require trees, and the box then sits the rest of its life in a closet or drawer.

He added that the embodiment of his Black by Brian Gavin line is one with focus on nature and on the diamond. So he opted for a very minimalist box made out of recycled paper-card-stock and recycled plastic materials. This ideology also contributed to him stopping the oval finished wooden boxes he used to provide to customers.

He understands I may not appreciate this aspect of his vision for Black by Brian Gavin, so he's providing me with a Signature Box (which I think is recycled wood as well) as a courtesy. But he added that his typical Black by Brian Gavin buyers all respect the importance of recyclable materials, and this is the first time he's ever had to do this.

I didn't think I was a big snob on this, but I'm really surprised at his approach... especially since nothing in the packaging describes this concept as part of the purchase or marketing of his Black by Brian Gavin Brand. I wasn't expecting a bone-china box or an alligator skin wrapped over carved unicorn horn. But I thought a nice wooden box like what Whiteflash provides seems to make more sense?

I just feel like this is a weird way to punctuate what is described as the "pinnacle" of Brian Gavin's career and the representation of his pursuit of perfection in terms of diamond cut and jewelry design. I feel like it's be the same as buying a brand new BMW but having hand-crank-windows.

Here's a Whiteflash box.
ring-boxjpg.jpg

Here is Brian Gavin's older wooden box (now discontinued and not available).
BGD_RingBox.jpg

Here's Brian Gavin's "Signature" box.
RingBox_Sm2_071114.jpg

Edits: Added some more pictures.

Last edited:

srke

Shiny_Rock
I personally appreciate this sentiment. I have plenty of jewellery boxes that come with jewellery purchases and as nice as they may look for about a second, they just end up taking up space. I much prefer to have my jewellery come in plain pouches or something, a long as it doesn't damage that item in transit.

And if I really need a nice box, there are plenty of places where you can get very nice boxes of the exact quality and appearance that suits you - i have a necklace that came in a very high end red wood box that looks to be of exceptional quality, but which I also personally find hideous. If I really want a nice box, id much rather buy one myself and get something I know I'd like.

If he's promoting the idea that the beauty and value of a diamond ring is in the ring itself rather than the wrapping it comes in, that isn't something I think should really be considered a huge issue.

Just my 2c.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess everyone will have a different opinion, but I personally need a wooden box, as I take off my rings (with sometimes wet hands) and put them in the WF box every night. They get a LOT of use and cardboard would NOT work for me.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I like it. I ordered a james allen wedding ring recently and it came with so much packaging and I thought it was such a waste. A small box I can toss in the recycling bin sounds good to me.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never thought about it. I have tons of ring boxes in drawers that never get used.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have Mrs boxes for most of my important rings, you could do that. I kept the boxes from LM and VCA jewelry. But the best box by far is the one from jewels by grace. It's magnetized, sort of wraparound and very cool.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate the eco-friendly sentiment as much as I appreciate a good box. :lol:

Bell & Bird makes all of my box dreams come true. These are the kind you pass down generations:
2018-09-21_14-26-16.jpg 2018-09-21_14-25-55.jpg 2018-09-21_14-25-41.jpg

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
I can see his perspective, and feel the low-carbon-footprint approach has merit if Brian Gavin wants that to be part of his brand.

But I think he does a poor job setting expectations with customers on this rather unexpected attribute, and his sales team doesn't ask what you'd prefer, nor do they educate the buyer on this facet of his vision on Black by Brian Gavin. Diamonds never came across as an "eco friendly" product line... they are typically branded as luxury/excess items haha.

I realize BGD never sets out to be a hyper-end luxury brand. So the "push a button and watch the lid slowly open" Cartier box wouldn't be a realistic expectation for me. Or the Harry Winston split-lid treasure chest approach wrapped in leather isn't a realistic expectation either.

I just wasn't expecting wax card stock, and I don't know if my FF would appreciate a recyclable box haha.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I completely agree. When you are paying for the best of the best, you certainly expect packaging that complements that. And, let’s face it… buying a real diamond is NOT eco-friendly!... so trying to tie his Black line boxes into the thought of an eco-friendly approach doesn’t make any sense to me.

Give me a real wood box any day of the week. Especially for an engagement ring!

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
I appreciate the eco-friendly sentiment as much as I appreciate a good box. :lol:

Bell & Bird makes all of my box dreams come true. These are the kind you pass down generations:
2018-09-21_14-26-16.jpg 2018-09-21_14-25-55.jpg 2018-09-21_14-25-41.jpg

Thanks for the tip... do you know if they sell items online? Just in case I don't go with the BGD Signature Box.

I looked them up online, but I don't see any jewelry boxes or single-ring boxes. And I life in San Francisco, so I can't make it to their store.
https://www.bellandbird.com/pages/design-bespoke-projects

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the tip... do you know if they sell items online? Just in case I don't go with the BGD Signature Box.

I looked them up online, but I don't see any jewelry boxes or single-ring boxes. And I life in San Francisco, so I can't make it to their store.
https://www.bellandbird.com/pages/design-bespoke-projects

Their boxes are made-to-order, though they might happen to have something on hand, so I'd suggest calling them. Heads up, they're not always very responsive and the wait for a box can be over a month.

I'm also in the Bay, btw. Born & raised in SF. :wavey:

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
I completely agree. When you are paying for the best of the best, you certainly expect packaging that complements that. And, let’s face it… buying a real diamond is NOT eco-friendly!... so trying to tie his Black line boxes into the thought of an eco-friendly approach doesn’t make any sense to me.

Give me a real wood box any day of the week. Especially for an engagement ring!

I agree, his explanation came across as somewhat of an excuse for cutting costs on the finishing touches. Nowhere in the packaging does he say "please appreciate your eco-friendly box, everything is recyclable and sourced from recycled materials."

I know his average Black by Brian Gavin ring isn't $15K+ like your average Tiffany or Cartier. So he doesn't have a huge profit margin to play with to have everyone receive a stellar box. But I have some cheap watches around $300 which don't contain any wax card-stock on the box.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I find that many people save the boxes in which we ship our jewelry- which went against my thoughts years back ( that no one would save the box)

The wooden boxes are widely available on the wholesale market.
I agree that they are seem substantial and expensive. Actually, they are not much more $ than typical velvet boxes. We've never used them because we want black interiors.. but it's interesting to me how many people seem to love the wooden ones....as a merchant, this thread is illuminating.

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
Their boxes are made-to-order, though they might happen to have something on hand, so I'd suggest calling them. Heads up, they're not always very responsive and the wait for a box can be over a month.

Wow that's amazing... I rarely meet anyone who was born in SF that hasn't left the city due to how much it's changed. :wavey:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that's amazing... I rarely meet anyone who was born in SF that hasn't left the city due to how much it's changed. :wavey:

Yeah, it's kind of sad. I moved to Oakland when it was more affordable, and now it's just as bad. I still spend most of my waking life in SF thanks to work.

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
I find that many people save the boxes in which we ship our jewelry- which went against my thoughts years back ( that no one would save the box)

The wooden boxes are widely available on the wholesale market.
I agree that they are seem substantial and expensive. Actually, they are not much more $ than typical velvet boxes. We've never used them because we want black interiors.. but it's interesting to me how many people seem to love the wooden ones....as a merchant, this thread is illuminating.

I think the challenge is that the man needs some box to do the proposal (using the generic script). Taking a smudged diamond out of a pocket seems like poor form. And hiding a ring in a book/food isn't a gambit that I'm willing to try.

I told Brian Gavin that I was shopping on Amazon to find a proper box for the proposal, and came to the realization how absurd it was that I just spent so much on a ring and now I'm looking for a box that matches the quality of ring.

He said none of his Black customers had this issue before; they were either procuring their own boxes or just using his card-stock one. Personally I can't imagine proposing using a card-stock box... but apparently that was a confusing perspective for him.

To be honest, really don't understand this wacky diamond-business. Brian Gavin seems to take pride in his super-ideal cuts... which manifest down to the tiniest of angles, symmetry, and light return.

But at the same time, the really overt stuff like the ring box quality and crooked melee on my setting gets met with a general shrug from the same fastidious diamond expert. I guess he has to pick which battles he wants to win... and he picked mastering the cut instead of the other touches.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm guessing they're not very cheap... lol

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
holeydonut
- I totally get your point.
I should have added in my post above that my wife is the one who picked the boxes we use- and she does not feel like I do about the wooden ones- she does not like them. Come to think of it, that is the main reason we don't use them.
Maybe it's a "guy thing".
In any event, the larger issue is- how much resources should a ring seller devote to packaging?
If you think about it, the boxes you get at the most famous houses on Fifth Avenue ( blue box, etc) are first rate for what they are- but they're not spending that much per unit.
Similar to Apple products- the boxes are totally cool- but I'd be surprised if they cost more than a dime. The real value is the brand association.
In today's diamond market the largest internet sellers are spending millions per month in SEO/internet advertising.
So for boutique sellers, resource managment is crucial.
As much as I love really cool boxes- we can't see devoting large sums for boxes.
Think about it- to have them made to order, and imprinted, you need to buy them by the gross.
Wooden boxes are about $5+- wholesale ( $720 per gross)
Or have them custom made one offs. That's gotta be at least $50 a box, I'd guess.
For us, the boss decided that a nice looking leather box, imprinted with our name that around cost $5 is the way to go.
Having said all that- I love the boxes posted by
It would be cool if that was feasible from an economic, and logistical standpoint.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not impressed with BG’s signature boxes either. If I were you, I would shop around and find something you think is more in your future FI’s taste, and use that. Weather that be wood like WF, a Mrs Box, or something else.

For what it’s worth- Blue nile used to have wood boxes back in the days. They’ve since changed and I was completely disappointed and felt cheated the last time I bought something from them.

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
- I totally get your point.
I should have added in my post above that my wife is the one who picked the boxes we use- and she does not feel like I do about the wooden ones- she does not like them. Come to think of it, that is the main reason we don't use them.
Maybe it's a "guy thing".

Ask her if she'd be ok with a proposal using a card-stock box... because I don't want to risk it haha.

I can't imagine the extra $5 Brian Gavin would have to spend on his variable costs to get a decent box are the thing that makes or breaks his margins on his Black by Brian Gavin line. Even if he sourced a billet aluminum container cut on a lathe, I think he'd come out ok.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ask her if she'd be ok with a proposal using a card-stock box... because I don't want to risk it haha.

I can't imagine the extra $5 Brian Gavin would have to spend on his variable costs to get a decent box are the thing that makes or breaks his margins on his Black by Brian Gavin line. Even if he sourced a billet aluminum container cut on a lathe, I think he'd come out ok haha.

I bet she won’t even notice the box when she sees that beautiful ring!

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
I’m not impressed with BG’s signature boxes either. If I were you, I would shop around and find something you think is more in your future FI’s taste, and use that. Weather that be wood like WF, a Mrs Box, or something else.

For what it’s worth- Blue nile used to have wood boxes back in the days. They’ve since changed and I was completely disappointed and felt cheated the last time I bought something from them.

Does Mrs Box come in materials other than soft? They look nice... but aren't really the angle I'm looking for. Tbh... I can see why people just shop at Tiffany and Cartier. It means there is no headache trying to back-solve these nagging issues.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Cardboard proposal box? Ummm no. You can bet that proposal box will sit around for the rest of my life being all sentimental - unless it’s cardboard. Not a fan at all of this piece of marketing.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Check through ring boxes on Etsy. There is a really nice wooden heart shaped box, or many other more traditional ones so she won’t know it didn’t come from the ring maker.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
maybe the solution is one of two things:
a. BG could put an explanation somewhere on the underside of the box about being "eco-friendly", or
b. ask the purchaser if this is for a proposal and if so ask if they would like an upgraded box.

Once i buy my rings or other jewelry, I never use the box again, so I'd be happy to get my items in a small pouch of some kind. I have a drawer full of boxes and almost feel guilty that someone spent money, no matter how little, on a box to ship a ring to me. I'd actually be happy to send those boxes back!

Anyway, that's my solution to what happened with OP's purchase.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you may be overthinking the box (and honestly, the struggle was with the gloves in your video, not the box). I can't even remember what the box was with my ring - I've never used it or looked at it since the day I put the ring on my finger (almost 20 years ago now). I suspect it was a card stock white box. All I remember was that it was white with black lining.

But now that I'm thinking about it, most of my expensive jewelry has come in a card stock white box (or a red one, or a robin's egg blue one) with some kind of velvet lined cardboard box inside. I throw them all out because I have beautiful jewelry boxes that hold all of my collection altogether in one place so I can pick out what I'm going to wear each morning. I'd seriously hate having to root through individual boxes to find anything. I'm honestly quite happy if they are recyclable.

Unless your FI to be is a box affectionado, I suspect she won't be looking at the box. She'll be looking at the ring, and once it's on her hand, the box will be set aside never to be looked at again.

Jade217

Rough_Rock
My thought process is going to sound contradicatory, but I understand where you’re coming from.

I keep all my nice packaging (jewelry or not) ie Tiffany’s, Cartier, Chanel, and the like, they are all beautiful. But honestly, I just pack it all away in the closet. Rarely to be seen again, but I love having it. I actually use a bone China plate from my dinning set with a tissue on top for over night jewelry storage lol. My other jewelry is stored away in those little Chinese jewelry pouches.

If I was receiving a nice gift, especially jewelry I would want nice packaging though. I feel like it makes the gift. In this case of an engagement, I would be taking a lot of pictures of he ring inside the box for memories. Especially if you’re planning on doing some sort of engagement photoshoot.

I personally think it’s worth spending a little bit more for the sentimental/memory aspect to get a nice box.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't know how quickly you need the box, but I used this etsy vendor to custom make several ring boxes for me. She can make up to a 3 ring configuration and completely customized to your color choices. She even offers monogram embroidering. They are hand made velvet boxes. I know that you would like it to propose with, but I have ordered a box to match our wedding colors that I use to store my original set and it is embroidered "Mrs" on the lid. It is very nice and I think it might be a great idea for a future ring box/more permanent storage idea and feels more sentimental
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFamilyJoolz

From a practical point of view as someone who likes to collect jewelry. I do save the original boxes (some really nice ones), but that is not what store them in daily. For space saving it just is not practical to have all of these random size/shape boxes stacked in a safe. I like the velvet boxes because they are relatively the same size, stack well and they come in so many different colors it is easy to just grab the box I want without having to open a ton of boxes to find the right one.

Congratulations on your upcoming engagement!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results