shape
carat
color
clarity

The two week club!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
How fun! At least you will be able to wear your new diamond while you contemplate its final setting.

Haha I can't even tell you how many designs I've blown through already. I don't know why I am so indecisive. Perhaps it is because I can't due a halo due to the ratio of stone size to finger real estate and I've historically done halos?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha I can't even tell you how many designs I've blown through already. I don't know why I am so indecisive. Perhaps it is because I can't due a halo due to the ratio of stone size to finger real estate and I've historically done halos?

Could be but you really don't need a halo with this one - ha!

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
I am sure I am in the way longer than two week club at this point, waiting for initial design drawings and I am sure the holidays will slow everything down. Waiting is so difficult!

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
The next couple of days??? You're going to make us wait?

ETA - Congratulations!! So glad you love it!

Lol, I know, I am terrible. I need to get my nails done tomorrow...we've waited this long, and she deserves a proper intro, nice nails and all! haha!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol, I know, I am terrible. I need to get my nails done tomorrow...we've waited this long, and she deserves a proper intro, nice nails and all! haha!

Ok, I guess I have no choice but to wait LOL!

Please know I'm just teasing! Looking forward to seeing it!

MrsMagpie

Rough_Rock
After years of lurking and waiting, I finally approved the CAD for my engagement ring re-set. I've been wanting to have my ring fixed since 2006, and it was finally time. It's supposed to be a near replica of a mid century ring with an east-west EC and kite sidestones. I am SO excited, but so nervous! I never had a ring made before o_O

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I guess I have no choice but to wait LOL!

Please know I'm just teasing! Looking forward to seeing it!

Here you go!

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t know if I’m in the 2 week club or not, but last week I finalized the engraving design for my reset with Sako. Here are some pics he sent me of the work in progress. None of the engraving yet. The picture with the uneven shoulders was him trying to get them more narrow and tapered for me.

5ABC8939-3DBD-4AC8-83C9-9A4CA92EFB36.jpeg
4DAC92DF-5C46-4755-988B-DC684536AD56.jpeg 596E1C18-D715-4EAF-AE6B-631350A25D5E.jpeg
847A3A79-81BC-4504-89C8-A4361CC29220.jpeg
36F7937F-3BA5-4E3B-BA4D-D971F27FDB14.jpeg

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I don’t know if I’m in the 2 week club or not, but last week I finalized the engraving design for my reset with Sako. Here are some pics he sent me of the work in progress. None of the engraving yet. The picture with the uneven shoulders was him trying to get them more narrow and tapered for me.

4DAC92DF-5C46-4755-988B-DC684536AD56.jpeg 596E1C18-D715-4EAF-AE6B-631350A25D5E.jpeg

Woohoo! Can’t wait to see the finger pics! Did Sako source those pears for you?

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock

WOW!!! This looks soooo good already! Obsessed with the chunky faceted Pears Sako's Dad recut! And your stone looks super white in this setting! You must be soooo excited, I know I am for you!

And is it Rosegold on the shank or is it all platinum? Hard to tell from the photos?

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Squee. Ring was cast last Monday... and they were closed for the Holidays Thurs/Friday and it already ready for pick up tomorrow! So 3 whole days.. it is a freaking miracle. I won't be picking it up until Wednesday though ..

Even though I know this is just a temp ring, I am still so excited.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Squee. Ring was cast last Monday... and they were closed for the Holidays Thurs/Friday and it already ready for pick up tomorrow! So 3 whole days.. it is a freaking miracle. I won't be picking it up until Wednesday though ..

Anxious to see it! I know you can't wait!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Eek!! Exciting! Can't wait to see it!

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
Woohoo! Can’t wait to see the finger pics! Did Sako source those pears for you?

Yes he did, his dad recut them from modern pears

WOW!!! This looks soooo good already! Obsessed with the chunky faceted Pears Sako's Dad recut! And your stone looks super white in this setting! You must be soooo excited, I know I am for you!

And is it Rosegold on the shank or is it all platinum? Hard to tell from the photos?

It’s platinum head and rose gold shank.

Here’s where I want to cry/die in a hole - I don’t love it. I like it, Sako does beautiful work, but there’s too much metal and I don’t know where to go from here. I think he’s upset with me, which is fair because he has been very communicative. He showed me his style of doing the bright wall pave since I didn’t want prongs and wasn’t married to another bezel design with a three stone. The designs looked beautiful. The metal looked pretty minimal and the prongs were delicate and overall the stones didn’t look sunk into the metal. He drew out a design of what the top would look like and said it would be more refined.
But. And this is with my tail between my legs and introverted part of me that’s urging telling me stop whining and just take it: I told him many times that I was having a lot of anxiety about the ring having too much metal and it looking too clunky. The CADs made me nervous and he reassured me. The setting before the stones were set make me nervous and he reassured me. Im feeling very reassured and heard by home.
He sets the stones and asked me of any changes before he proceeds with the engraving and I asked him to taper the shoulders and he did the best he could. At this point I really thought more metal would be shaved off the top but I didn’t say anything. He finished the engraving and the milgrain at the top. And that was it.
My heart dropped. There was no plan for any more metal to be removed.
So I asked him about this, and he pointed out that since my stone is so big, this is basically how it needs to be with this type of bright wall pave. I really wish he said this earlier because with my big goal of less metal, I would’ve gone with a different design. I showed him an example of the bright wall pave I thought my stones would have and look like and he said that’s for small diamonds.
He’s pointing out that we discussed details, and steps, and looks which I totally acknowledge and won’t pretend we didn’t have. But man do I wish I was even pushier about the amount of metal.
Now I don’t know what to do and am waiting for him to get back to me about what my options are.
This is so not what I was hoping for and I feel awful. I don’t know if Sako comes on to PS but I just need help from you all about what I should do. I’ve never been in this position before and this is literally the last of my upgrades.

Here is what the ring looks like now, and I really don’t know how to come to terms with this. I feel like I need to breathe in and out of a paper bag.

6EBAB56F-F636-487B-86D8-12228DFB9BB5.jpeg

CFB3F98D-C8EC-47D1-A4A7-4D7377E053EC.jpeg

675139E4-0B2B-45A3-AA4E-30AD116B7108.jpeg

120B3E3B-827C-4E76-A787-4D33D731B6B7.jpeg

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock

Here’s where I want to cry/die in a hole - I don’t love it. I like it, Sako does beautiful work, but there’s too much metal and I don’t know where to go from here. I think he’s upset with me, which is fair because he has been very communicative. He showed me his style of doing the bright wall pave since I didn’t want prongs and wasn’t married to another bezel design with a three stone. The designs looked beautiful. The metal looked pretty minimal and the prongs were delicate and overall the stones didn’t look sunk into the metal. He drew out a design of what the top would look like and said it would be more refined.
But. And this is with my tail between my legs and introverted part of me that’s urging telling me stop whining and just take it: I told him many times that I was having a lot of anxiety about the ring having too much metal and it looking too clunky. The CADs made me nervous and he reassured me. The setting before the stones were set make me nervous and he reassured me. Im feeling very reassured and heard by home.
He sets the stones and asked me of any changes before he proceeds with the engraving and I asked him to taper the shoulders and he did the best he could. At this point I really thought more metal would be shaved off the top but I didn’t say anything. He finished the engraving and the milgrain at the top. And that was it.
So I asked him about this, and he pointed out that since my stone is so big, this is basically how it needs to be with this type of bright wall pave. I really wish he said this earlier because with my big goal of less metal, I would’ve gone with a different design. I showed him an example of the bright wall pave I thought my stones would have and look like and he said that’s for small diamonds.
He’s pointing out that we discussed details, and steps, and looks which I totally acknowledge and won’t pretend we didn’t have. But man do I wish I was even pushier about the amount of metal.
Now I don’t know what to do and am waiting for him to get back to me about what my options are.
This is so not what I was hoping for and I feel awful. I don’t know if Sako comes on to PS but I just need help from you all about what I should do. I’ve never been in this position before and this is literally the last of my upgrades.

Here is what the ring looks like now, and I really don’t know how to come to terms with this. I feel like I need to breathe in and out of a paper bag.

I just wanted to say I am so sorry this is happening for you, it's hard when you are excited about something and have put time and money into creating it and it doesn't work out the way you'd hoped. I hope you find a resolution that makes you happy.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know how it feels to be where you are! It’s so hard. But as a recovering jewellery freaker outer, I think you should take a breath and step back (emotionally) and see it in person! Try not to mentally hang so much weight on it (“it’s the last!!!” Etc). That puts so much anxious pressure on it when of course you can set it again later if you want. Why not? This is a hobby. One day you will probably have funds again for a resetting if you want, and in the meantime you have these amazing diamond in a setting crafted by a master. So it’s not the last last end end. It’s the for now. And it looks gorgeous.

And if you hate it you can go from there. Me, I probably wouldn’t get into a big fight about it. “Too much metal” is very subjective as a judgement. There is risk in working with an artist. In general I don’t tend to like to argue about these kinds of things anymore. The stress isn’t worth it. For me. I’d just enjoy it for what it was and reset when I could down the line. But we have some fighters in our ranks lol maybe they will come along with other advice soon!

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
I know how it feels to be where you are! It’s so hard. But as a recovering jewellery freaker outer, I think you should take a breath and step back (emotionally) and see it in person! Try not to mentally hang so much weight on it (“it’s the last!!!” Etc). That puts so much anxious pressure on it when of course you can set it again later if you want. Why not? This is a hobby. One day you will probably have funds again for a resetting if you want, and in the meantime you have these amazing diamond in a setting crafted by a master. So it’s not the last last end end. It’s the for now. And it looks gorgeous.

And if you hate it you can go from there. Me, I probably wouldn’t get into a big fight about it. “Too much metal” is very subjective as a judgement. There is risk in working with an artist. In general I don’t tend to like to argue about these kinds of things anymore. The stress isn’t worth it. For me. I’d just enjoy it for what it was and reset when I could down the line. But we have some fighters in our ranks lol maybe they will come along with other advice soon!

I appreciate your insight, and I would usually say nothing and make the best of it. But I’ll be sinking $4k+ on this reset and while the option of resetting will always be there (and I’m so lucky that I can reset in the first place), it’s really hard to wear such a pricey project without loving it.
I know there’s a club out there who says I should love it and persist in what I want, but I don’t know how to stick to my guns. Or on the other side, figure out how to love this without seeing dollars signs set aflame also seems like a challenge.
I definitely don’t want to get into a huge fight over it, so I will tread carefully.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sweetpea&babycorn
Would you love it with a colored stone in the center for a rhr, as opposed to it being your dream ER setting?

( I’m not going to add in ‘after seeing it in person & on your hand instead of pictures, and knowing for sure this is what you do not want’ because I think most of us/regular posters know when it’s not a case of that as the issue. )

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hopefully the guns blazing club with weigh in soon! They might have some strategies and scripts you can use.

For the other part, I guess part of living with it is doing a little self-CBT and seeing if small adjustments in thought and perception help. Visualizing dollar signs in blazing on your finger certainly doesn’t help! Though I have definitely had that feeling myself in the past. Like, if that 4K included the side diamonds, it’s not “lost”, you still have those gems and can reuse them. Or as rfisher suggested, maybe it would be a lovely occasional ring with a coloured gem center stone. Wearing it that way might reduce some of the symbolic meaning and the weight you are attributing to it. Or when you wear it and focus on the flaws and start feeling shitty about it, substitute appreciation for the artist who made it for you with his hands, and how lucky you are to own a work of art made by someone like that.

But I do wonder — have you seen it in person??

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
@sweetpea&babycorn
Would you love it with a colored stone in the center for a rhr, as opposed to it being your dream ER setting?

( I’m not going to add in ‘after seeing it in person & on your hand instead of pictures, and knowing for sure this is what you do not want’ because I think most of us/regular posters know when it’s not a case of that as the issue. )

This is an interesting thought! For me it’s too expensive and big to be a RHR for me. All my current RHR are on the smaller and daintier side to keep my engagement ring the main attraction. I’m not sure if I could wear this as a RHR and my engagement ring.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
I appreciate your insight, and I would usually say nothing and make the best of it. But I’ll be sinking $4k+ on this reset and while the option of resetting will always be there (and I’m so lucky that I can reset in the first place), it’s really hard to wear such a pricey project without loving it.
I know there’s a club out there who says I should love it and persist in what I want, but I don’t know how to stick to my guns. Or on the other side, figure out how to love this without seeing dollars signs set aflame also seems like a challenge.
I definitely don’t want to get into a huge fight over it, so I will tread carefully.

I can totally understand this, I am currently working on my first setting that isn't chosen from an already existing design and it will also be pricier than anything else I have ever done. I can't imagine not being super happy with it, I think I would want to push for what I would want but not saying I would know the best way to do that.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@sweetpea&babycorn I'm so sorry you are going through this. Do you have a picture of what you were envisioning? (I also don’t understand what bright wall pavé means). I definitely see your point about the metal and if you expressed anxiety about it in the CADS etc and he reassured you, yet it doesn’t look different, then I don’t think he had a reason to be upset with you. I don’t know what to offer in the way of advice but want to send hugs and I hope you can find a resolution.

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
Hopefully the guns blazing club with weigh in soon! They might have some strategies and scripts you can use.

For the other part, I guess part of living with it is doing a little self-CBT and seeing if small adjustments in thought and perception help. Visualizing dollar signs in blazing on your finger certainly doesn’t help! Though I have definitely had that feeling myself in the past. Like, if that 4K included the side diamonds, it’s not “lost”, you still have those gems and can reuse them. Or as rfisher suggested, maybe it would be a lovely occasional ring with a coloured gem center stone. Wearing it that way might reduce some of the symbolic meaning and the weight you are attributing to it. Or when you wear it and focus on the flaws and start feeling shitty about it, substitute appreciation for the artist who made it for you with his hands, and how lucky you are to own a work of art made by someone like that.

But I do wonder — have you seen it in person??

I haven’t. And Sako did point out that images were zoomed about 10x which is why I asked for hand shots and videos. With even that I felt there was too much metal. It was all I could really see.
You’re right about it not all being lost. The total price includes the pears and recut, and I did think that if I decided to reset again down the line and take the pears out, I could convert them to earrings or something.
Sako has been kind enough to offer to trim the metal down to the level of the prongs and remilgrain the top. I hope it works out!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I think this sounds awesome for him to offer!
If this is the only part of the ring you feel needs tweaking, it’s a home run!

Glad to hear he’s going to do this and I hope it achieves the look you are going for!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock

I would want to possibly see it in person first- a lot of times photos and videos exaggerate the metal. However, I 100% can see where you are coming from and I would not be happy. It's still your hard earned money that might be going to waste if there is no resolution and I would feel resentment towards wearing it as is if i were unhappy with the amount of metal. I 100% am a PAB (picky ass bitch) but I also am shelling out $$$$ and I would want that to be translated to a product I am happy with. Do not hesitate to voice your concerns.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I would want to possibly see it in person first- a lot of times photos and videos exaggerate the metal. However, I 100% can see where you are coming from and I would not be happy. It's still your hard earned money that might be going to waste if there is no resolution and I would feel resentment towards wearing it as is if i were unhappy with the amount of metal. I 100% am a PAB (picky ass bitch) but I also am shelling out $$$$ and I would want that to be translated to a product I am happy with. Do not hesitate to voice your concerns.

PAB LOL!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear he’s going to do this and I hope it achieves the look you are going for!

Also @sweetpea&babycorn I was going to say that when you posted the picture a few days ago (pre-engraving) I definitely thought it was a “before” iteration and that metal would be smoothed away. I had seen “before” like this on Sako’s designs in other threads. Also when @dreamer_dachsie mentioned “gunblazers” they may want to tag them (curious who may have that rep lol maybe @yssie ?) since this is two week club and not a specific thread about the piece. So they might not see it. Anyway again hoping that his re-do meets your expectations!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results