shape
carat
color
clarity

The Real Women of Pricescope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Haven: I think another poster''s boldface type as they chided the OP (using your quote) is what ruffled some feathers. I don''t it was your post that did it. We all know you''re a kind soul.
2.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Heck, I'll bite. Why not.
1.gif
Mine is pretty similar to Elmorton's.

Me: I'm 26, turning 27 in August. My mom put me through college, and paid for most of our wedding. I paid for most of my cost of living expenses during college, including taking over rent payments on my apartment my senior year. I took out one small student loan my senior year to help pay for housing, and had a job all through college (Starbucks). I was able to use an insurance settlement to pay off my student loans, credit card debt and our honeymoon just after DH and I got married. I work full time as an office assistant/ switchboard operator/ office monkey. I hate my job, but it comes with fabulous benefits, so I run with it.

The hubster: 28. Full time job at a property management company. Part time law student on 85% scholarship graduating this September!!! YAY! Parents paid for college. His Dad gave us an option when he started law school - we could get an inheritence someday, or he'd pay what his scolarship didn't cover as far as law school goes. We opted for the tuition help.
1.gif

Us: Married at 24 and 26 respectively. He grew up comfortably middle class, I was in the upper middle class, I suppose. Borrowing from Elmorton here, we too sometimes struggle with wanting to live at the standard we had growing up, and when you're just starting out, that's not really a good option, lol. We don't own anything, but also don't have any debt. I didn't see the point in buying a house when we don't know where he will end up getting a job.

My ring: .75 D, VS2. Was presented to me in a simple WG 6 prong, with the intent for me to pick my own setting. Got married with a plain band. The diamond was paid off within a year of marriage. Took me almost 3 years to pick a new setting, and I now have a Scott Kay setting, with a bezel band. Both the new setting and the wedding band were paid for up front.

Hmm. My diamond tends to be the largest in the room, with a few exceptions. It never feels over the top big, or incredibly small though.
1.gif

blinginthesnowgdring.jpg

SparklyLibra

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/1/2009 8:22:02 PM
Author: SparklyLibra
Date: 7/1/2009 1:22:42 PM

Author: iwannaprettyone

Noneya Bees nest.
2.gif

Paid cash for what he could afford at the time. No 3 month rule, no consideration for what my friends had...just picked a number based what he thought was suitable and never looked back.

Same for the wedding
9.gif
- picked a cash amount we could part with without putting us in a bind and went from there.

Geez us girls will analyze everything to death.

Big ole fat DITTO!

Same here IWPO! DH set a budget for our stone, setting, and wedding based on what wouldn''t put us out of house and home. It was THAT simple. Did we have access to WAAAAAY more cash? Yes, but we had made up our minds that we would close our home with a certain amount down payment, to keep our carrying costs reasonable. That was the deciding factor in our situation....

Oh and BTW: Me 29 this fall, college diploma in Paralegal (never used it, now a SAHM). Him: Degree in chemical engineering, works for the city, and it''s noneya damn beeswax how much we make.

11.gif

Interesting thread tho, lol
9.gif

ETA: forgot to add: my e-ring is a .71, E, vvs, princess in platinum setting.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/1/2009 6:15:14 PM
Author: BKmommy

Date: 7/1/2009 3:36:21 PM
Author: Loves Vintage

Date: 7/1/2009 3:12:23 PM

Hi BKmommy, What''s the ring in your avatar? Do you have more photos and a story about it?
2.gif
And, by the way, you have my dream job!!

Sorry, I keep threadjacking in here, but I keep seeing rings I haven''t seen before!!

Thank you! No other photos, but I have a little story...
It was my grandmother''s wedding ring, circa early 1940''s, 3 microscopic little diamonds, but they do show a bit of fire in the sun! We share the same birthday, and the same red curly hair. She died at 26, when my mother was only 5 years old. My mom wore it forever, but also died early (48). My older sister got it with the engagement ring when Mom died, but on my wedding day, sis gave it to me for my something old.
Thanks for sharing the story behind your ring. I had no idea when I asked, but they do all have a story. Often, we never know what it is though. I am sorry to hear that your mother and grandmother passed so early. It was so sweet of your older sister to give that ring to you on your wedding day. It really is a very beautiful ring.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting.

Me: 23. I have a BA with a double major. I graduated college at 21 with no debt. I moved to NYC and got a job in PR, paid my own rent and was on my own. I worked up until the last week of August 2008 when I then moved to Germany with my FI 5 days after I quit my job. I have so far had a 6 month internship in my field of work and am now looking for another job. I am learning German, but am clearly at a disadvantage right now due to the language barrier and economy.

Him: 31. His a software developer and has been working since he graduated college. Also no debt. His company sent him to Frankfurt for 2 years. Has been saving since he started working and is not extravagant and has made very smart investment choices.

US: We will be married at 25 and 33. Our parents are throwing us the wedding- they wanted a certain type of wedding and therefore are picking up the tab. It is extravagant. I would have liked to elope on a beach. We both grew up upper middle class and will be buying a house on the North Shore of Long Island when we move back to the US. He has job stability due to this project and I will get a job ASAP in order to contribute as well.

The Ring: 2.35 carat solitaire, G VS2. He surprised me with it and used PS to educate himself and he did great. I realize getting that ring at age 22 was insane, but it wasn''t shocking to a lot of my coworkers.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2009 10:01:31 AM
Author: sba771
Interesting.

Me: 23. I have a BA with a double major. I graduated college at 21 with no debt. I moved to NYC and got a job in PR, paid my own rent and was on my own. I worked up until the last week of August 2008 when I then moved to Germany with my FI 5 days after I quit my job. I have so far had a 6 month internship in my field of work and am now looking for another job. I am learning German, but am clearly at a disadvantage right now due to the language barrier and economy.

Him: 31. His a software developer and has been working since he graduated college. Also no debt. His company sent him to Frankfurt for 2 years. Has been saving since he started working and is not extravagant and has made very smart investment choices.

US: We will be married at 25 and 33. Our parents are throwing us the wedding- they wanted a certain type of wedding and therefore are picking up the tab. It is extravagant. I would have liked to elope on a beach. We both grew up upper middle class and will be buying a house on the North Shore of Long Island when we move back to the US. He has job stability due to this project and I will get a job ASAP in order to contribute as well.

The Ring: 2.35 carat solitaire, G VS2. He surprised me with it and used PS to educate himself and he did great. I realize getting that ring at age 22 was insane, but it wasn''t shocking to a lot of my coworkers.
wow!!! My husband is German from Hamburg and he moved to be here... I tried to learn German but oh man... What a complicated language for me. I speak french and english, and german is so hard to learn I think. I commend you for trying such task!!!! I am due to visit germany again in August, i love it there, it is soooo beautiful!!!!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mariposa, I hope and pray that you have a total recovery.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I''d like to add my well-wishes to the others'', Mariposa. That OP needs to realize really soon that illnesses and changes of fortune are more a part of real life that the size of her diamond.
27.gif

Sorry for the threadjack.

Ice Scream

Rough_Rock
Ok, I don''t really belong here since I''m actuallly a guy. However, I have kind of been wondering about what the "norm" is for this type of thing and have found this thread very helpful. I hope I am still welcome to tell my situation, so here it is:

Me: 25. Graduated college at 22 with a BBA in Marketing with no student debt. I worked a crap job right out of college. I "fell into" my current job May of 2007. I now make siginificantly more money. It is hard to nail down exactly what I make a year since a substantial portion is commission. This is shaping up to be a VERY GOOD year, though. My company sees a lot of what we like to call "Obama Money". I currently have substantial CC debt, including the diamond from last month. However, it will be fully paid off in about a month after I receive my last commission check from a sale I made. I plan on starting a top level full-time MBA program fall of 2011, since I have the opportunity and I don''t think my current gig will last.

Her: 28. Nurse Practitioner (Master''s degree for those not familar). Makes good money. Has a little bit of student debt from the master''s program. Also has a little bit of CC debt, but nothing serious.

Us: She lives in a hoity toity part of Florida where people like to be showy with their money. I sometimes think she has this mindset also, but not as bad (her dad is very frugal with his money, her mom not so much). I grew up one county north where people have just as much if not a little more money on average, but tend to be more conservative in how they show it off. My parents were always very well off, however I was never spoiled and rarely was bought pricey material possesions. Education was always a big deal, so my sister and I had money set aside for a state university education from the time we were todlers, including living expenses. This was a very nice plus and left me with no debt after graduation. We both make good money and like to buy our toys and fun, but we both understand the value of money. I happen to think a lot of her toys are frivilous, but I''m sure she feels the same way about mine.

Even though we are not engaged yet, we have definately talked about plans. We plan to marry before we move away so I can get my MBA. My grandfather, before he died promised me he would pay for my Master''s if I got into a top program. So I worked my butt off to get the scores that I needed for this. My grandmother and father have assured me that this will be honored. My SO knows that I will not be working for these two years, so she will be on her own as far as living expeses go. This shouldn''t be too much of a problem with her line of work, though. And I also plan to have a decent amount of $$ saved up by this time to help out.

Ring: Center stone is from GOG and is RB 1.33 carat G SI1. Setting is white gold from local jeweler and has four side diamonds totalling 0.56 carat. SO doesn''t know I have bought a ring, so of course she didn''t help to pay for it. Which is how I want it.

Man, that was a lot longer than I expected (sorry). Anyway I actually just picked up the finished ring from my local jeweler yesterday, so keep an I out for my SMTR thread when I have time to take photos.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2009 8:26:21 AM
Author: HollyS
Haven: I think another poster''s boldface type as they chided the OP (using your quote) is what ruffled some feathers. I don''t it was your post that did it. We all know you''re a kind soul.
2.gif

Aw, thanks Holly.

I so dislike being misunderstood. Figured I''d rephrase my response, just in case.
2.gif

CharmCity

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/2/2009 1:12:44 AM
Author: mausketeer
If I may I think I need to add my two cents to this one..... I was also a bit um, baffled by ''that other thread'' that inspired this one (for various reasons) but I think some people may be missing the point of why CharmCity started this one (and I don''t know CharmCity so I don''t know for SURE that this is why - I am only guessing - please correct me if I''m wrong CC!). By the way - you don''t work for ''THE CAKE GUY'' by any chance, do you??????

I THINK the whole point was that when someone comes on here and ASKS people ''hey guys - I have a question about my ring'' and gives US information and asks US what we think, but then THEY don''t supply us with enough information to make an informed decision to give her an answer - how are we supposed to react? As many people have already said, a 1.8 carat diamond is VERY large to a LOT of people, yes? But who knows, in HER world, maybe it''s small, right? (to someone who makes a LOT of money, that''s a small diamond. To people who make less money, that''s a LARGE diamond. It''s all RELATIVE) See, for some reason, on this forum - it''s PERFECTLY okay to ask a million questions about the DIAMOND itself ''size, colour, clarity, percentages'' etc etc.'' (but the thing is that SO many people on here are SO informed about diamonds that they KNOW exactly what it cost just from the specs. But they would NEVER EVER ASK ''what did it cost'', right? And most people NEVER say it. Why? I don''t know.) And to DIRECTLY ask her anything FINANCIAL would have been the HEIGHT of rudeness, right? ''Hey girlfriend, um, can you tell us, how much money does your fiance make? When he went out and spent that $15,000 -$20,000 on your ring (because we''ve already figured it out from the specs, right?) or so on your ring, like, did he mortgage his HOUSE to buy it? Or was that like, a week''s salary to him?'' Because, this is the point: that is RELEVANT to answer the question of whether ''does this look small and should I say something to him about it?''. IF he is wealthy and the $15,000 to $20,000 is no big deal to him then eh, you know what? Maybe it wouldn''t be so awful to say anything (setting aside the ENTIRE emotional content of the argument here - WHOLE OTHER TOPIC of course). But IF he is a starving student? And he is $50,000 in debt and he''s been SAVING for YEARS to buy this RING that they picked out together? NO! You do not GET to say anything about it!!! NO way!!!! But instead of just asking directly ''what is your and your fiance''s financial situation?'' everyone dances around it. I don''t really understand why finances are so off-limits, sorry....... Anyways, that''s what I THINK inspired this? ''What DOES someone who has a ring X large make anyways? Is there a ''norm''? /QUOTE]

Exactly, exactly, exactly.

Maybe she is from a different culture, family, social strata, city, where people have larger engagement rings. Maybe her fiance is a millionaire and wouldn''t blink at sinking more cash into a bigger diamond. We don''t know.

Instead of posting in that thread with my knee jerk reaction, I started wondering how she arrived at that point.

(Also, I never asked anyone''s income. Posters volunteered that if they felt so inclined.)

All of us that post or lurk here obviously LOVE jewelry more than your average woman. That''s why Amethyste''s story was so cool!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2009 1:12:44 AM
Author: mausketeer
Oh, BTW - WAS engaged - called it off...... ex-fiance made $150,000 last year but was self-employed so ended up with about $75,000 maybe? (most of his money went back into his business). I work for the federal government and make about $40,000 a year. He gave me a $4,000 budget for an e-ring. Had one made for $3,200, didn''t like the stone, ended up keeping the setting instead, found a 1.08 carat antique OEC transitional for $2,000. Used the same setting. It was really pretty. When we broke up he said I could keep it but then said he wants to sell it. Not sure what we''re going to do with it now..... I might keep it and just give him the money for it. I love the stone (it''s a very unusual colour - or it was before it was set - it''s an O/P silver/pink. VERY unusual. Gorgeous.) Once it was set the colour just sort of went away. It''s very white for an O/P. Not a trace of yellow in it......

Sorry to hear about your breakup! I remember that stone; it was really something. If I were you, I''d give him the money so you can keep that stunning diamond. Set it in a pendant or something...but I''d hate to let something so unique and gorgeous slip away.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
First Mariposa, I am wishing you nothing but the best.

I am not engaged yet, or even looking for a ring at this point, but I will give my story.

Me: 30 years old graduating a medical residency about to start my job as an attending. Very little student debt. Credit cards paid off, own my condo, and have an emergency savings account. I am always able to put a little money away every month and make an effort to live below my means. But when it comes to the things I really love, I am willing to spend a little extra to have what I really want. Come from a middle class family, and both my parents moved up as I got older. My mother is no longer with us, and my father is a retired state worker.

Him: 38 year old MBA. Had a job in marking that paid over 100k a year. Was laid off 3 months ago and is still looking. He has been saving for a rainy day for 2 years now, and has a good emergency savings fund that he will now need to use. I also know he puts a lot away for retirement. Education debt is taken care of (he had a trust). Comes from a very well off family.

Us: We have been dating for a little over 2 years now. Any thoughts of engagement are postponed until he finds a job. Neither of us can justify the costs of the ring/wedding ect when he is burning savings. We both want a fairly nice wedding and I know his family is going to want to invite a lot of people. The thought of his mother calling to add more guests while he is job hunting is something that makes both our heads spin My father doesn't really care as long as he can come. He is thinking about a 7k budget for a ring and I would be more than fine with that. I am hoping for a 1 ct stone with a pave leon setting. I will probably pay for the wedding, but would like to keep it small. If his mother gets unreasonable, BF is ready to talk to her and let her know she either needs to respect the budget or pitch in if she wants a ton of guests.

At the same time, if he wanted to propose to me with a family ring or something else I would be totally fine with that. But right now we he is talking about waiting until we can do this by ourselves.

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think we should take this thread in the spirit in which it was intended, getting to know each other better. It is nice to connect names and pictures with life experiences.

Me: I am 27 and work as a sixth grade teacher. My parents put me through school and paid for a lovely wedding. I am very grateful for the head start that they gave me.

Him: My hubby is also 27 and is a full-time trainer for a large corporation while he goes to school part time finishing up his BS.

Us: We were 22 and both still in college when we got married. After 2 months of dating he presented me with a beautiful 1.11 carat RB in a platinum setting. He worked hard for that ring and I adored it! For our 5th anniversary I am having the diamond reset in a James Meyer setting (which is my dream ring). Since we just bought a condo and a new car we have to sell the setting from my first e-ring to cover the remaining cost. The actual diamond is more important to both of us than the setting and neither of us are willing to go into debt for a non-necessity. I am so excited to see my new ring and plan on keeping this one for the rest of my life!

I have learned so much from all the contributors on this site. Thanks for all your help/support/information as I have been going through this process.

akroller

Rough_Rock
I feel compelled to respond to this post as well... albeit with a slightly different perspective than most. I find this site to be a useful, educational tool for diamond info, but mostly I find it a forum to "showcase" beautiful diamond rings! I love to look at an drool over the diamonds that you all post, and to be honest, it is the big honkers I find most drool worthy. I also see many admirers of such rings posting their replies as well. That said..since we all seem to love the big rings, it is horrible to want one when you get engaged? Assuming it wont leave you and yours homeless or otherwise too deeply in debt (that is, you can AFFORD it) I see no problem making your desires known to your fiance. The whole ring phenom is generally lost on men anyway. As an admirer of diamonds and all round lover of jewelry, I know I wanted something that I would love to wear BOTH from a sentimenal point of view as well as a stylistic one. I understand we all have different financial backgrounds here, but isn''t that what these forums are for-- Getting people together on the internet from all walks of life? I therefore think that the gal with the less than hoped for ring shoould not be shamed by anyone, as her feelings are perfectly valid.

Thanks for letting me rant a little!~

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2009 11:22:45 AM
Author: Mariposa
Sincerest thank yous to all the well-wishes. This has been the crappiest roller-coaster ride of my life. My greatest wish is that there is an end in sight that doesn''t equal death.

On a light note, here are some pics of my baby rings.

Major prayers headed your way...

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
As for me...24, with graduate degrees (and also about 90K in debt from the two masters from Columbia and Univ. of Pennsylvania...
38.gif
), I work at a university. Husband is 31, (about 40K in debt from his graduate degree from the Univ. of Pennsylvania
8.gif
) who also works at a university. We own a condo (1 bed/1 bath) we bought for $300K near Laguna Beach, CA---but now it is work about $210K thanks to the housing crash in California.

We (or he) has NO problem spending a little more than what others may deem "affordable" for my ring (and jewelry for that matter). I love jewelry, and both of us are happy with all of our decisions so far in terms of jewelry
31.gif
30.gif
31.gif

We have very little credit card debt (perhaps 2K combined)...but it is those darn student loans that are killing us. Luckily, we only have 8 years left
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

Some posts include background info---I grew up well-off, he grew up the complete opposite. My parents do help us out a fair amount (including the down payment for condo, paying for our entire wedding---which despite only having 25 people, cost about $22-25K and paying my and his undergraduate education---long story, don't want to share right now)

I Love My Sailor

Shiny_Rock
Me: Recently turned 20 years old. I have no Collage education but I have hopes to start school within a year or so. I am fascinated by diamonds and this website. I come here everyday and have PS as my default start up page. I think gem stones are my calling in life. I work full time in a uniform shop for the Navy. My job is crazy and sometimes I think my head is going to explode with all the information I have to know about military uniforms. I don't make much
7.gif
but I am still young.

Him: almost 29 years old with an associates degree from The Culinary Institute of America in New York. He has been in the Navy for 5 years and may be delploying to Guantanamo Bay soon but most likely will not go. He wants to stay in the military and go back to school for a 2nd degree in Marine Biology.

US: We just came from a sea tour in Guam where he was making 62,500 after taxes and I worked about half the time at a restaurant. We are now on shore duty and he is working at a desk now making 43,000 and I make $8.00 an hour at my job. We took a serious pay cut and we had to scale down to one vehicle and we had to stop going out to romantic ocean side dinners :) We did that a lot over in Guam. We are buying a house for 125,000...closing in 2 weeks!!! We are super happy about it. If my husband goes to Cuba then he will be making about 55,000 which would be nice but I would miss him. We have been married for 2 years August 17th.

The Ring: I have a .82 carat RB G VS2 that was my Grandmothers. and a 1.50 eternity band.

I want a 1.25-1.50 RB H&A with pears on the side .50. Wont be happening any time soon but I can dream.

I grew up with less income in a more expensive state so my life now is much more comfortable.

liquidh2o

Rough_Rock
Our prayers are with you Mariposa...

If I am out of place for posting here (I'm a "man" so only partially qualify under the "women" part, hee hee) please feel free to let me know and I'll delete my post.

Me: I am 30 yrs old and have been in the military for a little over 11 years.
I was raised in small town, Montana. My father worked for the railroad and my mother was a stay at home mom to three children (myself included) that they had adopted. I did not fully appreciate everything they had done for me, or how far they learned to stretch a dollar, until I moved out after high school. I consider myself one of the luckiest people on earth for them taking me in as their own, loving me unconditionally and being a model example of parents, and married couple (they've been married for 54 years). What was lacking in terms of household income was made up for in the old fashioned values they instilled in me, and the love and respect they showed for one another, that alone was worth a fortune. I am the man I am now because of them, (which by all accounts is a damn fine gentleman
9.gif
).

I chose the military route after realizing I was not disciplined enough for college (academically), and I was paying my own way. Like most new military members, I learned quickly what it meant to be in debt. Thankfully, I realized the error of my ways and put my overspending to an abrubt halt, and used my mistakes as a means to learn more about finances. Being in debt that one time has forever been stamped into my memory, I promised myself it wouldn't happen again, and it hasn't. The only debt I have now is a house payment, and that will be paid off before I retire (39). I'm only a few classeas away from my Bachelors degree and plan to have my Masters before I retire (it's all paid for by the military as long as I'm on active duty).

Her: 26 ys old. The best way to describe her in one word would either be "Godsend" or "angel." She was an unexpected surprise in the best of ways. She was born and raised in Wyoming (where I'm currently stationed) and is a complete country girl at heart. Much like me, she is big on family, the outdoors, laughter, and simple living. She works for the department of family services and is very passionate about the work she does. She's also working on her Bachelor's and is doing it on her time, and the companies dime to avoid debt (she's frugal just like me, bless her heart).

Us: A common passion for advocating foster care, and our strong family values are what really drew us together and laid down the foundation for something more. We have been officially together almost 8 months. I am in the Middle East right now and she is back home, our relationship has become even stronger since I've deployed, which has made a huge difference in how quickly the time has flown by. I'll be back in a little over a month and plan to propose a couple of months later.

The ring: The ring I've picked out is a 1.3c princess w/ .4c sidestones by BGD. I set a budget at $10k because it was something I could comfortably afford paying in cash without touching savings/retirement funds. I will of course post pics once it's completed, and also pics of the proposal :)

makandaddie

Rough_Rock
How fun!

Me: 42 (how can that be?) Work in sales and marketing

Hubby: 41, works in IT

Married 10 years this September!

The ring my husband proposed with was a round .24 carat with two tiny sapphire side stones. We upgraded in 2003 to a round 1.22 E SI1 with two sapphires weighing a total of 1.06 carats. I wanted the same look, but larger stones. As a surprise, my husband had my origional ring turned into a bezel set necklace. That reminds me, I need to get that necklace out of the saftey deposit box :)

Me: 25. Bachelors. Unemployed technically, but doing some freelance. Waiting on "something". School debt, but compared to my peers I'm extremely well off. Gree up middle-class, I'd say...

Him: 30. Smartest man I've ever met. Sadly, had to get his GED, and has been working his butt off. He will be going back to school soon (free riiide). He (we) own a 3 bed/ 1 bath condo in an OK (crime wise) area, but the value has gone from $260k, to about $220 because of the housing market. Thankfully we live in a very well-known sought after area and would not have a problem selling. He owes less than $80k on the place now
36.gif
He grew up pretty poor too.

Us: We are getting married in Vegas in 2010. Love of my life! We really help compliment each other. We are both working on bringing debt down just to have more wiggle/fun room. Oh, we have one car. We each had one but traded it in and it's been the best thing ever. If we ever moved from this area we'd have to get another one though. But, due to the area only one is needed! Oh, we also have really wealthy family. He will see some of it, and I will too but not for many years. Until then, I'm not even going to think about it, cuz I could die any day! hehe.

The ring: .60 OEC with .40 in the setting. GORGEOUS. It sparkles like mad. My new ring that I am getting this week is 3.14ct with 1.46 or 1.48 side stones (TW). It was my grandmas. She recently passed
7.gif
It is becoming my new e-ring and my old e-ring is movin to the right hand! I won't have pictures for a while, right when I get the ring it is going straight to the jewelers to get sized, a new appraisal, and some prong work. Our original budget was around $5k, but due to some work.. layoffs... gr.. we went smaller for our stone and I AM HAPPY WE DID. I LOVE MY original stone :)

radiant lover

Rough_Rock
swedish!!!! i''m am sorry for your grandmother''s passing. how nice you get to wear her ring. please post pictures as soon as you get it!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
I like talking about me :)

Me: 25 yr old college graduate, BS in Health Sciences, currently an intern getting my nursing home administrator license in the winter. about $20k in student loan debt.

Him: 28 yr old college graduate, BS in Mech. Engineering, currently an engineer for the automotive industry. no student debt due to scholarships.

Us: wedding for 200 ppl in October, paid for by us- so we are saving like crazy! We want to pay cash for it all. Together making about $110k. Own a 3 bedroom house in Columbus, OH, and have two great dogs! I''m one of the first of my close friends to get engaged, but my ring is a bit smaller than average- but it isn''t something any of us really look at. Most of our friends are in business or engineering as well.

The Ring: his grandmothers. Therefore, no cost. Except my wedding band which was $500 from a BM store- and pictures of the set are hopefully coming soon! I just talked to the jeweler, and it should be in tomorrow. I can''t wait to show off the set together finally!

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2009 7:54:52 PM
Author: 4ever

Date: 6/30/2009 7:41:44 PM
Author: Buffy01
Hey 4ever, don''t you fret about the age gap, there is what only 8 years between the 2 of you. My sister and her husband of 4 years, there is a 25yr age gap. she is 34 and he is 59 and no he is not a sugar daddy. Diabetes, insulin bound, lost some toes on both his feet. They love each other, and that is all that counts and that is all I care about as her sister.
Buffy01 - Thank you so much for your reply. I think the people who have called him my ''sugar daddy'' are just looking for a reason why a 20 year old is with a 29 year old and don''t understand that it could just be becuase we honestly just love each other.
I wish my sister was as supportive of us as you are of your sister.
Hey 4ever, just want to comment. My FI''s brother is 35 and his girlfriend just turned 21 today. I like her alot and I hope this relationship lasts forever because I really like her.
36.gif
Anyway, they love each other so much, it shows. Thats all the point of love is love regardless of age.

Also, my parents age gap is 7 yrs. My mom is 7 yrs younger than my dad and they complete each other.

If you both in love, then thats all that matters.
36.gif

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
I''m way behind on this thread, but I found it to be very interesting. I''ve wondered the same things as the OP for quite some time, and I''d love if even more would respond! And FWIW- It seems to me that most PSers (based on responses) are people that really live within their means and prioritize. Nobody sounds/seems to be an outrageous spender, oblivious to the ramifications of spending money one doesn''t have. This seems like a very level-headed group of ladies!

I''m 23, in my 2nd year of law school. I have- quite literally- no money, except that from random legal work and babysitting. Chump change, really. Parents helped me out with undergrad, but law school is on my own. By the time I graduate I''ll have between 100-120k in student loan debt. Not looking forward to that.

I live in a Western city, and the cost of living is not outrageous. FI and I rent and actually found an even more affordable apartment this year so that we can save more. We plan on buying a house in 1-1.5 years, with 20% down. FI has a car that he''s still making payments on (99/mth), and my car is paid for, though it''s a total pile and we''ll likely be getting a new vehicle today or tomorrow (long story.)

FI (26) is a pharmacist with a nice salary and great benefits. He paid his was through 6 years of school and has substantial student loan debt. He puts nearly $2000 a month toward his loans and will for a very. long. time.

We''re paying for our December wedding or own and have been saving $2500/mth for the past year. We will have no wedding debt, thank goodness!

My ring is a 1.03ct (1.33tcw) RB in a halo setting. The ring was paid for outright after months of saving. Compared to friends from home and all family, my ring is extravagant. Where we currently live, however, it''s pretty average. I absolutely love it, though, and would have been happy with anything from FI. Other than my E-ring and our wedding bands, I have not purchased any diamond jewelry. I have a pair of itty bitty diamond studs that we''re passed down to me from my mother. That''s about it.

Student loan debt is a killer for us, but we live within our means. Even our "splurges" are well-planned. With saving for the wedding things have been a bit tight, but I know we''re keeping our heads way above water. We''ve learned over this past year that we are very good SAVERS, which will pay off in the long run.

There are days where I''m envious/jealous of the baubles I see on PS, but I know that right now, at this time in my life, I''m content just drooling over them
16.gif

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
this thread has been sooooo interesting for getting to know people!

Me: 20yr old undergrad student at a university in Michigan going for a degree in Biomedical Science (could have a minor in Psychology and Chemistry, but I decided to graduate a semester early (so I can get married) and since the grad schools I'm applying to told me it wouldn't really matter if I had those two extra classes to complete the minors, I'll save my money thanks.) Planning to get into a grad program for Naturopathic medicine (no its not the same as homeopathic, it encompasses much more and feels right to me) as for jobs, I got passed over for the owners niece on a summer job as a temp at an assisted living center. bummer. but I've been doing odd jobs, volunteering a lot, taking summer classes, and reading a TON. Any chance I get to expand my knowledge- I take it. during school, I don't work. FI says "school is your job, you are good at it and it will pay off."

Him: 23yr old. he works for a plant wholesale company and also helps my mom with her landscaping business when he has time. He loves being outside in nature and working with his hands. He also has a certification for personal training and is working on getting a nutrition cert. He has a few clients at a gym in Shelby township. He loves his job there and I hope he will be able to make it his full time career.

Us: We've been together for almost 5 1/2 years now. We quickly became best friends when we met, a few months later we started dating. We are currently engaged and have been since July 4, 2008 but we are not getting married until after I graduate (only three more semesters left!) we set the date for May 22, 2011. My family regards us as already married- just not on paper, lol. My mom is so cute "you guys are soul mates and I don't care what the legal system says."

The Ring: erm, it's in progress- lol. I have a sapphire band that FI proposed with, and I love it. He wanted me to be a part of the process so now we are coming up with another one. Actually, I think I'll wear them together as my set (gasp- but you're already wearing your band!- I know, we're weird) I bought the sapphire because having that be perfect was important to me and he's working on saving up for the setting- we are planning on having it set in the Vatche Swan... we had some car problems and tuition bills and family problems that needed to be taken care of so we're almost at sqaure one with saving, but I know we'll get it eventually. FI is good with our money, we don't live outside of our means, although I'm an avid penny pincher and it never feels like we're saving enough, ugh.

Pic: my dainty sapphire band with its new buddy, my 6.8mm Jeff White Sri Lankan Sapphire

ETA: sorry this was so long! btw, I'm the oldest of the kids in my family, and so is he. No one else is engaged yet in my circle of friends either- but- I'm the go-to person on jewelry info now, all thanks to PS!

Karasapph 034.JPG

Turpinm1

Rough_Rock

I figured I would add my little bit in here:

Me: 26 years old; teacher for 3 years. BS in Public Relations. Still paying off $15,000 in student loans. Some credit card debt. ( A few VISA''s and some store cards) My parents helped me a little bit in college, but it was mostly on me.

Husband: 28 years old; cop for 9 years. 2 year degree

We purchased our home 4 1/2 years ago. Married in March 2006.

The ring: 1.01 princess cut with .5ctw sidestones and .75 ctw band. When I met my husband, he had money put aside to purchase a home and a ring for his future bride. Of my friends, the majority of rings range from .6 to 1 ctw, so I guess Im on the higher end. Im perfectly content, regardless.

We live comfortably; neither of us have overly extravaggant taste. We would like to get some of our debt paid down and buy a bigger home then start a family. However I feel we do pretty good considering our low paying/respected professions.

Turpinm1

Rough_Rock
sorry forgot to attach picture!

Megsy318.JPG

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2009 12:06:36 PM
Author: MC

Date: 7/1/2009 11:35:25 AM
Author: yardley
I find this thread perplexing. This is a diamond board, with the description of something to the effect of ''brag shamelessly about your diamond ring.''

I don''t care what people''s financial situations are, nor what their education levels are or how hard they worked their whole life to afford their diamond even though they are only 22 years old
emcry.gif
(cue dramatic violin music). I''m interested in looking at pictures of jewelry. It is kind of irritating to read some of the posts in this thread, which basically amount to a description of why the poster thinks they deserve to own the jewelry they have. If you have to justify it...

Just my opinion!
If you feel that there is too much bragging here, then I question why you started a thread showing off all the diamonds you own:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-small-collection.116391/

It seems odd that people would be posting their income, but it''s pretty much a given that if you do not like the thread, do not read or participate in it.

LMAO! Nicely put!
9.gif

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Mariposa, prayers with you darling!

It''s interesting to see everyone''s opinions...Reality of it is that we live in an awful society, and unfortunately everyone, and everything is going to be judged, whether you shout it or just think it. I have plenty of opinions, but as far as engagement rings go, I look at mine and think of my fabulous husband. This is what he chose for me...we''re not millionaires, and I don''t have a 5ct ring, and I''m ok with that cause I have someone who loves me, plain and simple.

Me: 23 years old, working fulltime in insurance in Illinois. Married Hubby 9 months ago, and our marriage and life together has always been priority #1 (other than personal beliefs).

Hubby: 24 in a month, Systems Administrator for the same company that I work at (he keeps us up and running
5.gif
). We are both the most successful in both of our families and have been enormously blessed in our relationship! We were together for about 4.5 years before we got married....we''re buying a house, looking to close in about a month and a half.

Hubby and I have an understanding; his thing is video games, and flat screen tv''s, and I love diamonds (like to blame it on the fact that diamond is my birthstone). But we set goals, like I changed my ring 4 months after we got married...it was something that I paid for, and hubby was ok with it because I wasn''t looking for something bigger or better, I just wanted a more sentimental ring (sapphire is his birthstone). Obviously with the house, we won''t be able to get me another "upgrade" for a while, which I''m fine with, because like Haven said, it''s about your priorities.

Do I think that girl should have complained about her huge stone not being big enough? No! But I gave her my opinion as nicely as I could...I do wish that we could just accept that we have been given these beautiful treasures, and this forum is allowing us to share that....Thanks for letting me post
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results