shape
carat
color
clarity

The LIW Small Talk Thread

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Hey ladies! Speaking of jobs, I have a quick question for you...

Do you think it goes against proper interview etiquette to let an interviewer know that you have been offered a job elsewhere? If you go to mutiple job interviews, and one came back with an offer while another one had said they wont be making a decision for a few weeks, is it bad to tell them that you have an offer elsewhere but they are your first choice? Kind of to feel them out or let them know if they are interested in you they need to act quicik? What do you think?

winelover23

Ideal_Rock
NakedFinger - Abso-freaking-lutely. It NEVER hurts to ask and seriously the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I share an office with our hiring agent and I know for fact the ones that call back but are VERY polite about it get noticed. It''s a tough market out there so you gotta be aggressive!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Apparently there was a miscommunication, and my dad thought I was going to be able to be there for Christmas.
7.gif
I hate feeling like I''m disappointing him when logically I know it''s not under my control.

So maybe if I went the week after Christmas, it would be better. I don''t know. I gave him the choice of having me try to come that week instead (my siblings won''t be out of school until the 18th, so I wouldn''t get too much time with them otherwise).

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
gotta post this SOMEWHERE, but can''t tell anyone IRL because i''m afraid it sounds silly...

my BF is researching the law firms he''s applying to this week, and found a cool program at one firm that would let him live abroad for a while... and he checked with me to make sure i would go with him if he got into that program :)

we''ve only been dating a little over a year and engagement is a while off, so it made my heart happy that he knows he wants me to be part of the next chapter of his life, whatever that is.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2009 9:29:07 PM
Author: suchende
gotta post this SOMEWHERE, but can''t tell anyone IRL because i''m afraid it sounds silly...

my BF is researching the law firms he''s applying to this week, and found a cool program at one firm that would let him live abroad for a while... and he checked with me to make sure i would go with him if he got into that program :)

we''ve only been dating a little over a year and engagement is a while off, so it made my heart happy that he knows he wants me to be part of the next chapter of his life, whatever that is.

Yay! That''s awesome!

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
thanks, princess. i feel better since i got it off my chest. i feel a little crazy for being so happy about it but eh. LIWs understand.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2009 9:53:37 PM
thanks, princess. i feel better since i got it off my chest. i feel a little crazy for being so happy about it but eh. LIWs understand.

I got thrilled the other day because I talked about maybe changing my entire life plan and BF kept using the word "we." "We''ll figure it out," "We''ll make things work," "We can talk to so and so." Yeah. I got excited about a WORD. I definitely get where you''re coming from.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/11/2009 10:04:23 PM
Author: princesss
Date: 8/11/2009 9:53:37 PM

I got thrilled the other day because I talked about maybe changing my entire life plan and BF kept using the word ''we.'' ''We''ll figure it out,'' ''We''ll make things work,'' ''We can talk to so and so.'' Yeah. I got excited about a WORD. I definitely get where you''re coming from.
girl, i hear you. K goes back and forth. first it''s "we" and i''m on cloud nine, then he gets all stressed about his ability to provide due to economic pressures, and it''s "i" again. *sigh*

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Morning, ladies! I''ve been away from small talk for a bit, but I have today off. What''s going on?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2009 8:45:25 AM
Author: misskitty
Morning, ladies! I''ve been away from small talk for a bit, but I have today off. What''s going on?
GOOD MORNING MISSKITTY

sunemoticon.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Morning ladies!

Crickett, how''s the new job?

Princesss, any word on that job for M?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Miska, the new job is going great. There is alot of transition tho, the manager that hired me might not be there for very long so everyone is up in arms about things, but hopefully it shouldn''t affect me quite so much. It''s just gonna be a stressful 3-4 weeks. And we have inventory on my birthday
32.gif

How are things with you M''Dear?

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
C-so glad you like it! Boo to inventory....I HATED inventory where I used to work.

We booked our hmoon cruise last night!

This day is ridiculous. One of those days where you wake up late, in the middle of a super intense dream, and then feel confused all morning. Anyone know what I mean? So I woke up late, took the dogs out, and put the wrong leashes on them (we have one big dog and one little one so it made for an awkward trip) and then just now I got up, came back to my desk, looked around for my coffee...found it, got all excited I had some left, took a big gulp...and it was yesterdays coffee. FML. My fault for leaving it there but YUCK!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Morning, y''all!

Date: 8/12/2009 10:43:14 AM
Author: Miscka
C-so glad you like it! Boo to inventory....I HATED inventory where I used to work.

This day is ridiculous. One of those days where you wake up late, in the middle of a super intense dream, and then feel confused all morning. Anyone know what I mean? So I woke up late, took the dogs out, and put the wrong leashes on them (we have one big dog and one little one so it made for an awkward trip) and then just now I got up, came back to my desk, looked around for my coffee...found it, got all excited I had some left, took a big gulp...and it was yesterdays coffee. FML. My fault for leaving it there but YUCK!
LOL.
36.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where are you cruising, Miscka??

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, hard to get THAT taste out of your mouth. Lovely, lol.

We are going to Mexico! 5 nights, Progresso and I think some Island. We want to see some Mayan ruins! Also, I think we will do a bike/snorkel excursion. Oh, and drink heavily and eat heavily and lay around a bunch. Wooo! We have never cruised but it should be fun, in January, to get out and on the water. Plus, man, you can''t beat the prices!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2009 10:59:11 AM
Yeah, hard to get THAT taste out of your mouth. Lovely, lol.

We are going to Mexico! 5 nights, Progresso and I think some Island. We want to see some Mayan ruins! Also, I think we will do a bike/snorkel excursion. Oh, and drink heavily and eat heavily and lay around a bunch. Wooo! We have never cruised but it should be fun, in January, to get out and on the water. Plus, man, you can''t beat the prices!
Ooh! Fun! You guys should have a great time.

I assume you''re also honeymooning during hurricane season? FI and I got great deals on our rooms because its still technically hurricane season. It''s mid October so hopefully we wont get much rain or severe weather.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, we are going in January (school schedule
14.gif
), is that hurricane season still?

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2009 11:42:31 AM
Actually, we are going in January (school schedule
14.gif
), is that hurricane season still?
Nope. You''re safe!
3.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
hehehe unless the sharks get us...

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2009 10:43:14 AM

I know exactly what you mean.
My dreams are funny I''ll dream I''m sleeping on the couch and that''s it, like I''m dreamng I''m just laying there and I''ll wake up and be in my bedroom, I''m all confused!
33.gif

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2009 11:56:03 AM
hehehe unless the sharks get us...

Aw well if they do try to nab ya punch them in the eyes!

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Question for the cooking-inclined here:

I want to make a pie that has filling that''s as vividly blue as possible. I know that blueberries end up purple when they cook, but do any of you know of something that does cook up blue? If all else fails, I can do a cream pie dyed with blue food color, but I''d prefer something that''s naturally blue.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2009 12:53:36 PM
Author: misskitty
Question for the cooking-inclined here:

I want to make a pie that has filling that''s as vividly blue as possible. I know that blueberries end up purple when they cook, but do any of you know of something that does cook up blue? If all else fails, I can do a cream pie dyed with blue food color, but I''d prefer something that''s naturally blue.

Weird how I popped in just now. May I ask what it''s for?

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Ahh, just popped back in -- went to the grocery store for more flour!

I''m making a birthday pie for someone who doesn''t like cake, and trying to go all-out with the decorating like I would with a cake (but still keep it tasty!). I know that any kind of fruit pie is good, as are cream pies, and if I can manage to cut a favorite logo (or something of the like) into the top crust, it would definitely be cool. I''ve gotten the crust part down, but I''m still waffling on the filling.

If it''s totally not doable, that''s ok, too. A standard pie or a not-blue pie is completely acceptable
1.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...There isn''t anything (that I can think of) that will cook down to be blue. I''d probably cook down some blueberries on the stovetop and add a little blue food coloring to make it more blue.

And then I''d mix it in with vanilla cream pie filling.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Love it! That sounds delicious. Thanks much
1.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now I have made myself hungry.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
So M went out with a friend of his from college last night. The friend was passing through on his way to Colorado, and M was really excited. So M, his friend R, and R''s friend were supposed to go out and have a crazy night. Well, R''s friend brought his GF, so most of the craziness didn''t happen (poor M and R). Anyways, they were all hanging out, and R said, "So, how''s the wife?" to M (I''m basically referred to as "the wife" by this whole group of guys). So after hearing that a few times, R''s friend asks why M moved down here, and he shrugged and said, "The wife."

The guy''s girlfriend looks at him and says accusingly, "I don''t see a ring."

WTF???? A) They were joking B) Not everybody wears a ring and C) Why the heck was she there, anyways????

M apparently looked at her and said, "That''s right. You don''t."

But seriously. I just don''t get it. Did she think he was lying? (If she''d known the guys at ALL, she''d know what they''re like and know not to take them seriously). Did she think she was standing up for me because he was going to do something? Did she know they were joking and just took offense to people using the word "wife?" I don''t get it. Opinions, anybody?

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
35.gif

work=crazy (good)but NO PS time. *sniff*
39.gif

looks like we might be getting the 2br apt after all though!!
9.gif

princess - i am going to say that she just had no clue what was going on (with it being a joke) and thought it was weird he didnt have a ring. I used to think that way too, but after working with so many nationalities, it doesnt really faze me anymore.

miskitty - how did the baking go?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results