shape
carat
color
clarity

SYTYCD: Season 5

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2009 9:43:52 PM
Author: luvthemstrawberries
Date: 7/8/2009 9:52:24 PM
Author: FrekeChild
So...the disco and the tango...OMG!

And a Nappy Tabs dance I can get behind-they didn''t try to turn Randi into trailer trash! Other than that though, same choreography as always.

ETA: I liked Mia''s routine for once. Kupono needs to work out, but man the dude can act--I was totally creeped out by that smirk.

ETAA: Penn is a dude.
Woops - seriously? My bad Penn!

Thanks for the clarification Freke.
1.gif
Lol! I wouldn''t know myself except for him talking about adopting two babies as a male couple. I was reading the same post, and the 124 pounds TOTALLY threw me off. I was like, "DANG Penn was too skinny!"

Don''t mind me.
3.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
W ... T.... F???? Never been so disappointed in the judges. They finally got the chance and they did it. But they''ll cash in on his ticket sales. Nice.

GAH! I hope Mary chokes on her English Muffin.

38.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well then...

I think they made the right decision...I''m glad to finally see Ade and Melissa dance their solos...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just watched on DVR both episodes from this week.

Ade does need to BRING IT. And his solo did. Really hope he continues to do so, cause I think he's one of the strongest males by far. But I do think he needs to push himself more.

Jeanine... she's pretty. I think with a stronger partner maybe I'll see something I like. But right now all I keep thinking is she's going to be cast in some CSI episode as a hooker.

I love Melissa, I think she's really genuine. I LOVED her solo. And think she kicks serious butt.

Kayla... I think she's like Ade a bit. She's so good, that every once in a while her performance coasts. But she's undeniably amazing. And I hope I get to see her with Brandon.

Brandon. On stage he rocks. Off stage. Meh... but he's the guy to beat IMO.

Janette... hairstyle sucks. But my lord she brings it every time and surprises me. Judges comments were right on about her. But I wonder how she'll do with a weaker male partner.

Evan, I like him. But he's just not believable as anything other than what he did in his initial solos. He's too caricature for me and CAN NOT do sexy. Both numbers tonight just highlighted his weaknesses in my opinion. He needs to go home.

Kupono... I just can't like him. And think he needs to go home too. Maybe he'll surprise me. But I think if you pair him with Jeanine... they are both so shallow that I think they will BOTH go home.

Jason, well. Let's see, but I'm not hopeful. Personally I thought he should have gone home tonight.

I LIKE Randi so much and I am so glad they are un-couplingi. Can't wait to see her with a real male dancer that she doesn't have to carry.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2009 11:14:24 PM
Author: decodelighted
W ... T.... F???? Never been so disappointed in the judges. They finally got the chance and they did it. But they''ll cash in on his ticket sales. Nice.

GAH! I hope Mary chokes on her English Muffin.

38.gif
This was my first thought as well. I was really sad to see Philip go, I think he wanted to keep dancing more than anybody. I started to geat teary-eyed after his solo because HE was nearly in tears the entire time. When they made the (what seemed to be) impromtu announcement about them joining the tour, I couldn''t help but think they wanted to cash in on all of the Philip fans. I know I usually gravitate towards the trained dancers, but I REALLY liked Philip''s genuinely sweet and geeky personality.

Last night in the group dance I think that Janette stood out as the best female, which surprised me. I think she''s going to start getting more recognition for how great she when she starts dancing individually--I love her and Brandon as a pair, but I''m excited to see her (and eveybody) start doing solos.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Ade''s solo was AMAZING!!! I made BF rewind and I watched it a second time. I knew he was good but I was genuinely shocked at how good.

I''m really sad to see Philip go.
7.gif

I can''t wait to see the new pairings...this is my favorite part!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, Janette is really good. She killed it in both of her numbers this week. As shallow as it sounds ... I have trouble getting over her horsey teeth & odd looks. She''s kind of Pat Benatar meets Nora Ephron. And that is notsogood. Though I can see *her* playing a hooker on CSI.
3.gif

I don''t get all the Randi love. I get a "desperate gymnast" vibe from her. Will be happy to see Evan with someone else FINALLY. (Putting an end to the Muppet Show pairing).

My current faves are Melissa and Jeanine and Ade (though I agree that he coasted a bit this week). Kinda hope a girl wins this year ... we''ll see!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
deco- I don''t get the randi likeing either. I love melissa and ade, and brandon. :D

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
I know Philip wasn''t the best dancer out of everyone in the bunch, but MAN, I hated to see him go! The guy had so much passion, and while I aesthetically love a dancer who is technically gifted, someone who dances with a joy for the art of it evokes an emotional response from me like no other. Brandon is amazing, but Philip just got to me more. That kid''ll be dancing on his deathbed one day! The judges are really bugging me this year, too--DON''T BLAME THE DANCERS BECAUSE YOU DIDN''T LIKE THE CHOREOGRAPHY!!!!! What really kills me with them doing this is that the judges see the routines before they''re performed on the show, so if they already know they don''t like the choreography, it''s not like they couldn''t say something to the choreographer or something, but no, they just take it out on the dancers who are trying to make the best out of what they''re given. It''s bollocks! I''m with everyone else on the lack of standout routines this year--the only one that jumps to mind for me is the addict routine with Kupono and Kayla. It''s sad that the choreographers are slacking so much this year because I really do think this season has had the best dancers so far!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they were right about Phillip though--every dance that wasn't his own style just didn't measure up to everyone else when they were dancing a style that wasn't theirs.

Janette is a powerhouse--I didn't expect to see what's coming out of her, come out of her when she's not dancing Latin styles. Phillip doesn't have that. Don't get me wrong, he's AMAZING at what he does, but if he can't take on other styles...then he's not right for THIS competition. His little speech at the end almost had me in tears though. He LOVES to dance. I hope he gets some more training...

Man I sound like freaking Nigel.

Frankly, I can't wait to see Jason go home. He does NOTHING for me. I feel like they are cashing in on his looks, because even this far into the competition, I can't see any personality.

Faves in no particular order:
Brandon
Janette
Melissa
Ade
Kayla

I love Melissa though. I think she's amazing.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Just watched the results. So sad. I really didn''t know which girl they''d choose (well, not Melissa, duh) to send home. You could tell Caitlin was waiting for the typical reprimand, and instead she got sent straight home - you could tell she was shocked.

Then, since they were so up front with her, you could see it on Philip''s face from the very start of the guys part. He never looked up, and his face just got worse when he was called to step forward. I really think he was holding so much emotion back, but he knew they were sending him home. Then his speech, oh man, it was heartbreaking. But I''m SO glad they gave him the chance to talk and didn''t cut him off.

I didn''t really like how they acted like putting Caitlin and Philip back in the tour would make them happy. Cat asked Caitlin at the very end if she was happy about that... she was like "Uh..... yes, very happy!..." (err, fake smile...) I mean I know they''re grateful, but I certainly don''t think it replaced the sadness for getting kicked off the show.

Oh! ALSO I didn''t like Nigel revealing all the details about the judges. I had no idea they knew at the beginning of the day and basically already had their decision made. I mean, why in the world would you tell everybody that? At most of all, WHY would you say that TO a pair of dancers when they were just told they''re in the bottom 3, and are supposedly going to "dance for their lives"... haha actually, by the way guys, it''s not really gonna matter! We''ve already got our minds made up! Go ahead and dance for us anyway though, ok, thanks!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Also I''m interested to see now about the new pairings. Basically none of those other girls would fit well with Evan, in my eyes. Or Philip. But Randi and Janine deserve to have different partners to showcase more of their ability. But picture, say, Melissa with Evan... yeah, any dance I can imagine is going to put one of them way out of their comfort zone. It''ll be interesting. But sad for some - I really like Kayla and Kupono together - they''re both very fluid, very organic and emotional.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/9/2009 10:29:40 PM

Date: 7/9/2009 9:43:52 PM
Author: luvthemstrawberries

Date: 7/8/2009 9:52:24 PM
So...the disco and the tango...OMG!

And a Nappy Tabs dance I can get behind-they didn't try to turn Randi into trailer trash! Other than that though, same choreography as always.

ETA: I liked Mia's routine for once. Kupono needs to work out, but man the dude can act--I was totally creeped out by that smirk.

ETAA: Penn is a dude.
Woops - seriously? My bad Penn!

Thanks for the clarification Freke.
1.gif
Lol! I wouldn't know myself except for him talking about adopting two babies as a male couple. I was reading the same post, and the 124 pounds TOTALLY threw me off. I was like, 'DANG Penn was too skinny!'

Don't mind me.
3.gif

That's why I stopped dancing. I'm too small (vertically challenged and skinny). I grew, but not enough to have had a career. I'm too small for ballet is what I mean. I studied other things, but I prefered ballet. Anyway . . .

I am so glad Phillip got voted off.

icekid

Ideal_Rock

Totally agree, complete ridiculousness.

I also agree that there have been FEW memorable dances for me this season compared to last year. There are quite a few wonderful dancers, so it is unclear to me as to what the problem is.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Ah! I don''t frequent the Hangout forum very often and had no idea this thread existed!!!!! So excited. I love SYTYCD! Here are some of my thoughts on the top 10.

I was sad to see Phillip go, but for anyone who has watched earlier seasons and seen b-boys like Twitch and Dominic really excel in other genres will be able to recognize that Phillip just didn''t shine in the same way. He very obviously struggled or was just kind of sub par on many dances this season.

I loved Ade''s solo as well. I thought it was great that they kind of panned out at one point and you could see that all the judges were just floored.

I''m pleased with the top 10, I agree with the judges 100%. I really like Phillip but it would have been frustrating to see better dancers go home just because he was popular. I''m rooting for Kayla and Ade. I actually like Jason too but I don''t think he''ll make it very far.

Was anyone else thrilled that Wade was back this episode!?!?!?! I MISS HIM! I hope he does more pieces this season.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2009 7:35:58 AM
Author: icekid
Totally agree, complete ridiculousness.

I also agree that there have been FEW memorable dances for me this season compared to last year. There are quite a few wonderful dancers, so it is unclear to me as to what the problem is.
Choreography? I don''t get it either. Last season Nappy Tabs seemed totally with it, and fabulous...this season, they just seem tired and unoriginal.

I don''t really know what they can do...I just hope the choreographers step it up some now that it''s top ten time.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok. I liked the Nappy Tabs routine (Ade and Jenette). Dammit.

What do you guys think about the pairings so far?

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Kupono looks like SO so he got my vote.
31.gif

Melissa is my fave from the girls, and Ade deserves to win. Janette annoys me but I''m proud of ''just a salsa dancer'' pulling off some amazing dancing. Totally puffy heart everything about Melissa though.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I puffy heart Melissa too.

And Kupono is a hottie in that "I''m a sexy exotic beach bum" kind of way.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay ... I think that one routine was maybe the best of the season so far. You know the one. Well ... maybe not everyone will agree but I''ve watched it like six times & it was just seamless. LOVED IT!

I think Kupono & Randi are going home this week - what a hot mess THAT was. Was she incognito? Witness protection program?
38.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which one Deco? I missed a couple due to making dinner...

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Do you all not think that Melissa is totally hamming it up to the cameras? me thinks she might be reading her own reviews during the week. and what is with wearing her toe shoes EVERY single routine?

I haven''t commented in a few weeks. I''ve been watching on TIVO mostly and usually a day or three late.
I think that Jason was a different dancer this week. His movements were so much more pleasant to watch than the usual jumps and leaps he tries to "wow'' with.
Randi really needs to stop wearing those unitards. Deco, I totally get the desperate gymnast feel as well. She would be a great rhythmic gymnast... whatever that requires.

I find it humorous that only a week ago Niegel said that maybe bollywood wasn''t good to give everyone, and then they had ALL the girls do it as their group number at the beginning of the show??

and who was the third judge? I can''t figure it out. Thanks
5.gif
Also, to whoever posted about Niegel''s little rant last week, about how the judges know who the final three are in the morning and have all day to think about it... I completely agree, WHY would you tell the audience that?!? I guess maybe he is trying to save his own butt for decisions they make or have made.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I loved the Travis choreographed number.

The judges are driving me crazy. Don''t they know that the dancers are the ones that are entertaining us and they need to...I dunno...JUDGE! Mary Murphy just always seems to be hamming it up to the point where she loses credibility.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I have a love/hate thing when it comes to Kupono. One week he''s good, and the next he''s horrible. My main thing, and I''m surprised Nigel hasn''t said anything because he usually does, is that he dances like a girl. He''s has a feminine way of moving and it bothers the hockey sticks out of me.

I thought the Ade and Janette hip hop was horrible. Mostly because of Janette. I also hated Ade''s solo.

There''s nothing to say about the Tango. You all saw it I assume?

The Brandon/Melissa jazz number was ten times better than the Jason/Jeanine contemporary, I don''t care if Travis Wall choreographed it. Was it good, absolutely, but it wasn''t really all that. I really hate how they pimp certain dancers/choreographers. Drives me bonkers.

The A for effort goes to Evan. I thought he did a pretty good job considering.

I voted for Kayla. I think she rocks.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 3:21:35 AM
Author: pennquaker09
I have a love/hate thing when it comes to Kupono. One week he''s good, and the next he''s horrible. My main thing, and I''m surprised Nigel hasn''t said anything because he usually does, is that he dances like a girl. He''s has a feminine way of moving and it bothers the hockey sticks out of me.
He is very femenine in everything. Did you see the way he was moving in the guys'' African routine at the end? Maybe it''s just his long arms, but all of his movements were flowing, and he seems to be that was even when he is walking.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
i will not be sad if randy or kapono go home. that routine was horrible. every second, even before the judges panned it. yes, he dances like a girl, and honestly, randy was dancing like she was afraid to touch him. I get it, YOU''RE MARRIED, well, if you want to be a dancer on this show... you better ham it up honey. (and you don''t have to take it as far as jeanine and jason, wow, tongue much?, talk about some passion improv, smoke if you got ''em!)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
EMMY NOMINATIONS ANNOUNCED ....

Outstanding Choreography: So You Think You Can Dance ... four nominations

* Tabitha and Napoleon's "Bleeding Love"
* Mia Michaels "Mercy"
* Tyce Diorio's "Adam and Eve"
* Dmitry Chaplin's "A Los Amigos"

ETA: After last night's show -- I think its interesting that two of the nominated choreographers are former TV reality competition show CONTESTANTS ... Tyce competed on Debbie Allen's "The One" (or some title like that) and Dmitry was a previous SYTYCD contestant.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
I have been a Melissa fan, but was left wanting more from her last night. I need to see her do other styles. I do think she plays too much to the cameras, but usually like her dancing so I don't care. I thought Ade did a great job.

Jeannine is really coming on strong and doing fantastic work. Jason finally stepped it up. I loved that routine. First one I will probably "remember". Haven't been many this year. Was a bit sexy, no?
31.gif

First time I didn't love Jeannette. She was too upright and stiff in the hip-hop, looked like she was doing jazz. She's a great dancer, but this wasn't one of her best.

Brandon hasn't made a false move yet. He just is so much more dynamic than anyone he dances with. It's interesting to me how masculine and strong he is when he dances, but when he opens his mouth, oy. He reminds me of Carlton on Fresh Prince.

Kayla is just a beautiful dancer, no matter what. Evan tried to keep up but I think he's hit the Phillip block. When he does his own style, he is incredible, but I am always bored watching him try to do other dances and he's not growing at all. Enough. He needs to go.

Kapono is so inconsistent. Last night, meh. But he can be great. This is why I would get rid of Evan and not Kapono- Kapono shows signs of possibility, whereas I think Evan isn't going to get any better.

Randi just bugs. Sorry. She is a good dancer, but she never commits emotionally and I am so tired of her I'm cute, I'm modest, I'm shy routine. Get the muppet off the show. Enough.

ETA: Loved the Bleeding Love routine, one of my absolute favorites! Also, loved Debbie Allen last night when she told Evan that he "handled his big woman"!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Wow just watched the performace show... I was loving every bit of it up until the Paso. I''m serious - most of the new pairings were awesome, and it''s like they all broke out of their shells!

Brandon and Melissa''s dance was weird to me - didn''t do anything for me.

Randi and Kupono =
14.gif
I know it stinks that they don''t have that established trust yet, but that was a mess. Did he almost drop her when laying her down at the end?

Evan and Kayla''s waltz was AWESOME!!!! I think Evan did spectacular to have such a height difference. It was very smart to make her barefoot, and I think she dances the most beautifully that way anyway. Haha I think any time Kayla dances, she''s going to be beautiful. But that could have been a bad partership, and I think they both did so great. He even lifted her perfectly!! The lifts flowed well and looked effortless for them both. (Oh! AND I love the song they danced to.)

Ade and Janette''s funk dance was awesome, I thought. The choreography was right on, and she rocked it. Haha there''s nothing to even say about Ade - he was obviously born with the funk, and he rocked it too.

Jason and Jeanine''s dance... WOW. Another one that looked absolutely effortless. And the choreography was just awesome - using their chemistry, using that chain prop. Jason really came out of his shell, which is just amazing to me. I mean his last parter was a great dancer too, but it''s amazing how the change in chemistry can affect the dancers. Jeanine was finally able to shine, as she couldn''t before b/c Philip couldn''t match up to her. Anyone else think they held that kiss for quite a while at the end?
37.gif

LOVED both the group dances!!!!!! Enough said. They were both totally awesome.
9.gif
I love how they got to do something totally different, and they ALL rocked it.

A few solos stood out. 1) Ade''s leaping - it''s like his legs are springs and he jumps a mile into the air - man, that must be fun to get to just fly through the air like that. It looks effortless. (Haha but I don''t really think Unchained Melody was a good song for that solo.) 2) Kayla''s solo - I just love how she moves, so fluid. 3) Janette - haha she is definitely SPICE-AY!!! 4) side note - did Jeanine do her solo to the same tango song that one of the previous pairings did a tango to? It sounded very familiar...

A few little rants... 1) I think Mary needs to tone it down. Enough said. 2) Does somebody serious script everything Cat and the judges say??? I mean, Mary is ALWAYS making some dumb correspondence between the dance and her comments, like in a knee-slapping not really funny kind of way.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results