shape
carat
color
clarity

SYTYCD: Season 5

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Erinleigh

Shiny_Rock
YAY!!! Mia finally likes Brandon! When he started to cry I got a little choked up... Haha, I just love him so much! This show reminds me how much I miss dancing...

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I am really beginning to like Kupono and Kayla. I felt like he coasted in on Mark''s rep from last season and didn''t have the fire or charisma that Mark did. Mark and Chelsie were my favorite couple last year. Right now I love Melissa most, and Kupono and Kayla are beginning to beat out Evan and the tush girl as my favorite couple this year.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Just finished watching tonight''s show, although I missed the first 3 dances. I loved the last 4! I''m a traditionalist, and I was so thrilled to see ballet on the show finally! I was wonderful to watch, especially with an actual ballerina.
30.gif
And of course, since I love ballroom, I loved the two-step. Very well done, finally!
36.gif

I also think the Dizzy Feet Foundation is an absolutely wonderful initiative. I grew up doing all sorts of performing arts (mostly music) and it''s so important to have those ways of expressing yourself and finding out more about yourself and doing something you LOVE throughout your youth. So bravo!
36.gif

ETA: Mia, please don''t try to speak French if you don''t know French. Gorgeois doesn''t mean anything.
19.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I liked the show tonight. I love Melissa. That was the highlight of her life to this point I think. Ade did very well too, and I thought that the quick step was very well choreographed.

I have to admit I liked the alien dance. I think she''s a little bit of a weenie (I hate her hair) but tonight she was interesting. First time for everything.
3.gif

I have to admit though, I''m getting sick of Nappy Tabs. Their routines are starting to look the same...same arm movements, same steps, same stuff, different story/prop.

Meh.

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Loved the ballet.

I want Karla''s quick step quick change dress!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I loved the ballet! It was beautiful, and I think that having an inter-racial dance couple, really helped sell the story, in a modern way.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/1/2009 8:43:37 PM
Author: Galateia
I am really beginning to like Kupono and Kayla. I felt like he coasted in on Mark''s rep from last season and didn''t have the fire or charisma that Mark did. Mark and Chelsie were my favorite couple last year. Right now I love Melissa most, and Kupono and Kayla are beginning to beat out Evan and the tush girl as my favorite couple this year.
me too.. but my fav is still Kayla... but Jeanine/Brandon have been pretty solid.. Brandon sure got a lot of props from Mia last night....

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2009 3:01:18 AM
Author: FrekeChild
I liked the show tonight. I love Melissa. That was the highlight of her life to this point I think. Ade did very well too, and I thought that the quick step was very well choreographed.

I have to admit I liked the alien dance. I think she''s a little bit of a weenie (I hate her hair) but tonight she was interesting. First thttp://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/edit.asp?mode=reply&pageNo=5&num=30&type=reply&catID=3&forumID=5&topicID=115752&replyID=1964164&quote=0#ime for everything.
3.gif

I have to admit though, I''m getting sick of Nappy Tabs. Their routines are starting to look the same...same arm movements, same steps, same stuff, different story/prop.

Meh.

+1.
+1.
+1.

Love Melissa. The alien dance was my favorite of the night. And, I thought that the Nappy Tabs dance was straight boring--and I thought they tripped up several times. The first thing FI said to me afterward was that the judges were going to hate it, and I thought so, too. I almost died when they loved it.

The other thing that made me so mad about Thurs. show is that they kept the 2 people with the worst solos. What the flip is the point of having them dance for your life, if you are only going to keep the dancers you like. This is the 2nd time they kept Kayla when she performed the worst solo.
29.gif
29.gif
I think she is crazy overrated.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t watch the results show last night... Who got sent home?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2009 8:18:40 PM
Author: anchor31
I didn''t watch the results show last night... Who got sent home?

Karla and Vitolio got sent home. I''m not surprised, although I did like Karla.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I agree Freke, I am not a fan of Nappy Tabs.

The routines were good this week...not great...but good.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Well I definitely enjoyed this week a bit more than last week, I think.

I thought Janette and Brandon''s cha-cha was fabulous - it''s amazing how he adapts to all these various styles, and she was so spicy.

I wasn''t a fan of Kupono at first, but he''s really growing on me, especially with Kayla. I think they really complement each other in dance, and I love to watch them interact with each other in person - they just really click to me, and I think they really like each other. I basically was taken by storm last week at the very beginning of their dreamy lullaby dance, when she jumped into his arms, all the way through the one this week - even though it was weirder. He is definitely quirky in person, but he''s such a strong and commanding dancer to me when he''s out there - it''s like his personality totally changes and rises to the occasion. And she''s just fluid and beautiful, and those things complement each other so much.

I really liked Caitlin and Jason''s alien dance - it was off the wall and strange, but they did it great, and I like both their styles of dancing.

I LOVE Melissa and Ade - their ballet was so beautiful. But I do wonder - if they truly are drawing from a hat, how did that happen? Since the dance they did is properly done on point, of course she was able to do that. But you KNOW they were given that due to her talent. They wouldn''t have given that to the other girls who aren''t trained in point ballet. So do they not really always draw the dance style from a hat?

I''m a Vitolio fan. His and Karla''s quickstep was so much fun, and I thought they did great. I even loved his waltz with Asuka two weeks ago - I think he''s so graceful and strong. And such a sweet soul - such an innocent and caring person. He shows that every time he speaks.

I did feel bad to see Vitolio go home. Karla, eh I was ok with her. But I didn''t want to see any of the guys go. This is my first season watching this show, so I guess I need to get used to the sending people home - guess they all gotta go at some point.
39.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2009 9:15:01 PM
Author: luvthemstrawberries

I LOVE Melissa and Ade - their ballet was so beautiful. But I do wonder - if they truly are drawing from a hat, how did that happen? Since the dance they did is properly done on point, of course she was able to do that. But you KNOW they were given that due to her talent. They wouldn''t have given that to the other girls who aren''t trained in point ballet. So do they not really always draw the dance style from a hat?

I thought the same thing about them "drawing it out of a hat!" They''re not fooling anyone with that!

I kind of wish they would have had Melissa do something more contemporary on point, though. Like the pas de deux Katie and Will did last year...that would have been AWESOME.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2009 10:37:25 PM
Author: thing2of2
Date: 7/3/2009 9:15:01 PM

Author: luvthemstrawberries

I thought the same thing about them ''drawing it out of a hat!'' They''re not fooling anyone with that!

Totally agree! I also wonder why Phillip somehow keeps drawing hip hop
20.gif
20.gif

Just watched the results show- I agree with their decisions. I am starting to get a little annoyed with the overhype of Kayla, though.

Melissa and Ade are my favs, thus far. And Brandon. Mia is soooo two-faced over him though. All I have to say to her is
20.gif
20.gif
20.gif
seriously?

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I have a feeling that the pas de deux was choreographed to be on demi-point so any dancer could have done it and that Melissa really wanted to do it en pointe since it''s her thing. I think that every dancer with the exception of Janette has done point work, though, so maybe I''m wrong.

I thought the right dancers went home. I prefer dominant dancers who take "luck of the draw" out of the equation because they can master any style, so I''m still firmly on the Brandon and Kayla train. I really like seeing the solos, though, sometimes I feel like it''s the best dancing of the week. I''m eager to get to the point in the show where they can start dancing individually.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/4/2009 9:06:42 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I have a feeling that the pas de deux was choreographed to be on demi-point so any dancer could have done it and that Melissa really wanted to do it en pointe since it's her thing. I think that every dancer with the exception of Janette has done point work, though, so maybe I'm wrong.

I thought the right dancers went home. I prefer dominant dancers who take 'luck of the draw' out of the equation because they can master any style, so I'm still firmly on the Brandon and Kayla train. I really like seeing the solos, though, sometimes I feel like it's the best dancing of the week. I'm eager to get to the point in the show where they can start dancing individually.
For female ballet dancers aka ballerinas, the ability to dance en pointe is essential. Guys don't dance really dance en pointe. The only reason a guy takes pointe classes is to help with their center, be a better partner, and strengthen their ankles (Personally, I found it a bit painful. You have to really understand your body and be able to hold your weight from your center or it will injure the feet. Girls weigh less and if there was a valid reason for why males don't dance en pointe a lot is that a lot of male dancers weight way to much to be able to dance en pointe. I was maybe 124lbs and it hurt me. Imagine a 6'3" 160 lbs guy on his toes. ). With all of that said, the only two that I know have signiificant pointe training are Kayla and, of course, Melissa. Most of the other girls seem to have went the contemporary/jazz route. And as you all know those, along with classical ballet, make up the foundation.

I have to say that I am surpised that it took them 4 seasons to add classical ballet because they've had so many classically trained dancers in the past. I do kind of think it is suspect that Melissa and Ade happened to draw it. Kind of like how Will and Katie drew it last year. A lot of people felt like they were pimping Will last year and I personally feel like they are pimping Phillip this year. They want him on tour and if he were to be voted off, I think it wouldn't be a wsie choice to add him as an alternate because he doesn't have the skill set to do a lot of the routines.

Anyway! My fave was definitely the Kayla and Kupono contemporary number. It was just awesome, even though she kind of outdanced him.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Very interesting points on the "point" topic - thanks for the info ladies!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
So...the disco and the tango...OMG!

And a Nappy Tabs dance I can get behind-they didn't try to turn Randi into trailer trash! Other than that though, same choreography as always.

ETA: I liked Mia's routine for once. Kupono needs to work out, but man the dude can act--I was totally creeped out by that smirk.

ETAA: Penn is a dude.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 9:52:24 PM

And a Nappy Tabs dance I can get behind-they didn''t try to turn Randi into trailer trash! Other than that though, same choreography as always.

ETA: I liked Mia''s routine for once. Kupono needs to work out, but man the dude can act--I was totally creeped out by that smirk.

Have I ever told you how much I adore you? I''m a dude, lol. I love it.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Some great dancing tonight!! I watched the Argentine Tango several times, I absolutely loved it!

I''m a little worried for Randi and Evan and Caitlin and Jason, the judges seemed ready to let them go. I think Philip and Jeanine will join them in the bottom three, but the judges seemed gung ho about keeping them this week.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol Penn. I do what I can.
3.gif

LOOOOOOOOOVED the Wade Robson routine. It was fabulous. OMG. Gonna remember that one for sure. First one I've felt that way about, truly.

Loved the dancing tonight in general though. I didn't really like the Russian folk dance, but the Jive made up for it.

I'm sad the couples will all be torn apart though. Love Melissa and Ade and Brandon and Jenette.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I think Nigel was a bit harsh on the Russian Folk Dance. I think that it was unfair to color our opinion. I think they did good. I think they danced what they were asked to dance. If Nigel regrets using that form of dance it should be taken care of off screen. That was unfair to the dancers. I do like that they are bringing in these other styles. It''s fun to see.

In general this year I''m not loving any one routine! Last year there were so many that I liked. There were routines with STORIES - like the No Air with Katee and Joshua. . . the one with Chelsea and Mark where he was going off to work with the briefcase. . . the door routine (can''t remember who did it). . . the bed routine with Twitch. . . so far this year nothing is really standing out in my mind. I did like Wade''s routine last night, but I don''t think I will remember it next year like I''m remembering all the ones I mentioned above. Does anyone else feel that way?

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I agree. Nothing is really standing out in my mind yet... OTHER than the disco number Brandon and Jeanette did. Although sometimes other things stick out in my mind.. like last night, when pascha was choregraphing... my dh didn''t remember him, and I''m like he''s the guy that had to dance with the large redhead (melanie?) , when his partner got dehydrated.... that I''ll ALWAYS remeber.

I''m wondering who''ll go home tonight.... I think Jason and Caitlin as well as Randi and Evan are in the hot seats.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
The Mia piece was awesome. Kupono''s smirk was really creepy! Finally something that was sooo Mia.
1.gif

The Russion folk piece...was not good. But I think the judges made it pretty clear that it was the choreographers'' fault, not theirs. They may be in the bottom 3 tonight, but the judges won''t send them home because of it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wasn't colored at all by what Nigel had said, I was sitting there watching them dance it, and I told FI, "Well this dance totally sucks." And it WAS danced well--it was just boring. I was liking it to Tevye and the Russian soldiers dancing in Fiddler on the Roof, and it may be an odd comparison, but it is what it is.

I didn't even think about Twitch and Joshua's routine from last year until Nigel said something about it. The two aren't even comparable.

And I'm getting sick of Phillip. I feel like he keeps getting by with his own style, and he's just "Meh." with every other style. The jive last night was the first time I thought he was even decent. But his partner really took over that routine last night.

Did anyone else notice Mary saying that Jeanine and Randi were on the hot tamale train and Evan and Phillip were not?

ETA: I just realized that Brandon & Jenette, Randi & Evan and Melissa & Ade have not been in the bottom three yet...

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Re: Joshua and Twitch...I think they''re trying to bring in more styles, which is great, but this piece just didn''t work for the dancers. J&T were all about the tricks and Joshua doing 2342 split jumps in a row and it was awesome! This was just blah. They got a bum choreographer or something. They didn''t even come to the show, or if they did, they didn''t put them on camera.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
is the katie holmes performance tonight?

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Haven''t read any of this week''s comments yet...

but I''m watching the performance show from last night and just watched Kayla and Kupono... and all I have to say is...

HOLY MOLY!!! They are just incredible together. The emotion is SO MOVING.
36.gif

And btw, the disco was certainly great... but Melissa and her flexibility AMAZE me... haha makes me go OUCH every time she splits her legs apart 180 degrees like she does!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 9:52:24 PM

And a Nappy Tabs dance I can get behind-they didn''t try to turn Randi into trailer trash! Other than that though, same choreography as always.

ETA: I liked Mia''s routine for once. Kupono needs to work out, but man the dude can act--I was totally creeped out by that smirk.

Woops - seriously? My bad Penn!

Thanks for the clarification Freke.
1.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Brandon and Janette's tango was awesome!!!! Holy cow. They were on fiy-a!!

I liked Philip and Janine's jive. She lit it up though.
36.gif
Philip was pretty good - definitely his best so far in the Top 20. I just don't understand why he's been so out of it, but he obviously was good enough during all the rounds before for them to put him through. Or was it just because he was the only pop/locking guy? Maybe he's just hitting his stride now.

Randi and Evan's samba was kind of the same - Evan didn't really seem into it, but she did great. I know she felt foolish and all, but I'm glad she got into it - those lifts were awesome.

Haha and Brandon and Janette's jazz thing didn't even look like them! Very cool though - Brandon is so fluid.

I'm really sad about the parterships splitting up. Have they done this in past seasons? This is my first one watching. I've really grown to love all the pairs as they are, and I think they all get along great. I think it'll be kind of odd for them all to switch up and try to have chemistry in a bunch of new dances. The only part I am excited about is that some of the girls with "weaker" guys may end up with someone like Ade - and we can see how everyone changes. Melissa will probably end up with someone who can't lift her. And someone like Randi or Janine could end up with Ade, who can lift them to the ceiling - we have no idea what kind of huge lifts those girls can even do yet because no one can do it with them. I still think it's gonna be strange though - I mean, we've gotten to know Randi and Evan together - their heights go together, they're both quirky and fun. Melissa and Ade are calm, long, powerhouses. It's hard to imagine them all with other people. Ah, reality TV... that's part of it, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results