shape
carat
color
clarity

SYTYCD: Season 5

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I LOVED THE DISCO ROUTINE LOVED IT. Right now I have some favorite dancers.. and I think it is based on personality and the brief story that they told about each.

Caitlin & Kayla , Ashley is my little underdog - Brandon, Jason, Vitolio and Max just because he is goofy.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2009 12:40:05 PM
Author: decodelighted
Poor Lil'' C ... sometimes he makes sense ... sometimes not. Dancing with ''divinity'' = smoothness? I *kinda* see where he''s going but he doesn''t quite get there. Its like he eats DictionaryBits for breakfast. Hmmmm.

Anyway - I agree with the MEH analysis of last night. And that the Canadian chick''s routine was the best. (Only one I had the urge to watch twice). It actually got *better* for me the 2nd time around because the first time I was too swept up in the music to properly concentrate. Love that ''Falling Slowly'' song! Having a well-known song is a double edged sword. It can make the whole thing pop -- or it can distract because the song itself is too engrossing. Maybe that happened last week with their ''Poker Face'' cha cha or samba or whatever. Hmmmm x2.

So what the heck happened to Shane Sparks? Has he lost it? That was a steaming pile o'' Hip Not ... IMHO. And who put crack in the Disco lady''s fruit smoothie? And why do I wanna smack the brooding smirk off that Askia girl''s face? And why oh why did my Phillip have to pull Tango?

Here''s what saved the night: Pistachio soft serve. Bring it, Mia.

The Divinity comment drove me nuts. I liked Disco crack. I don''t like Osaka... whatever her name is. Her facial expresions bug me. And Shane Sparks was the one who blew it NOT the dancers.

The tango was a terrible choice after last weeks Tango by professionals.

Mia bugs me. She should just stick to choreography. Kayla is amazing though. Off stage she bugs me, but on stage man she''s amazing.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is Kayla the one who is also in the hip hop crew Boogie Bots? They were so good on ABDC. If so she is pretty versatile ...

Sooooo who is going home tonight?

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/18/2009 8:59:37 PM
Author: decodelighted
Is Kayla the one who is also in the hip hop crew Boogie Bots? They were so good on ABDC. If so she is pretty versatile ...

Sooooo who is going home tonight?
she had the hot pink dress on last week and yesterday she did the pop jazz routine with Max .... they had a couch on stage.. DH said she looked like Kevin the bird from the movie "UP".....(btw kevin was a girl)... her costume was bright...

I agreed with the ones that went home -- don''t want to spoil for folks on the west...

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I like Kayla too. But I will agree she looks like a bird. Or a bird/Paris Hilton combo. Also not too sad with the couple that went home tonight.

I still have a crush on Philip.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i was shocked that max stayed. his solo was MUCH better. not too sure how the new pairing will do. she''s such the stronger dancer...

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2009 7:13:38 AM
Author: atroop711
it was ok tonight..nothing grand but I did love the routine by the new Canadian choreographer. I love the contemp. dances. I can''t wait for Mia Michaels and her choreography...they always make my heart go Awwwww

i''m just catching up on this thread......

but, i LOVED tookey''s routine. LOVED. sigh. i watched it 3 times.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
and re: lil'' c... well i get it. i get him. i may be going out on a limb, but i do. he''s very visual with his words and maybe it''s the visualness in me, but i totally follow what he''s saying and the way he''s saying it.
6.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Just caught myself up on this week's episodes...

I think Jonathan and Carla's dance (choreographed by the new Canadian lady) was my favorite by far - does anybody know the name of the song they danced to? I already deleted it off my DVR. Also, I really liked Asuka's and Vitolio's waltz too.... both dances were absolutely breathtaking.

HAHA and kudos to whoever earlier in the thread called it - they are bringing back Evan's brother in the next season!!
36.gif
I basically was expecting it, but I was glad to see it. He's such an artist. Plus both brothers just look very humble to be where they are.

Can anyone answer this for me please... at the end of the performance show, it says on the screen that some of the episodes, including the dances, are pre-recorded. How does that work? What parts are actually live? I mean it kind of makes sense, since when it's actually airing they'll show clips that allude to what comments the judges are making... but I don't quite understand how that's done.

Ugh and the girl that performed her version of "Goodbye" on the Thursday show - could it be any more obvious that she was lipsynching? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it looked pretty obvious - really gets on my nerves.

I was sad that Max was sent home - I definitely think he should have stayed compared to Kupono (sp). Especially compared to the solos. JMHO. So what happens now - do Kayla and Kupono pair up for next week?

And can I just say... with the exception of Mary's constant screaming, I really enjoy the judging on this show. Nigel is actually very pleasant to listen to, and he's honest, fair, and to the point. And he gives credit where credit is due. Mary is... meh, ok. But I just enjoy this so much better than what, in my mind, is its comparitive - American Idol. The judging on there has gotten so out of hand - yo, dawg (Randy), blah blah blah (Paula), and even Simon - the crowd boos anything bad they say. At least on SYTYCD, Nigel has told the crowd to at least hush until he's done. He demands more respect, and that's nice to see on this type of show.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 8:39:35 PM
Author: luvthemstrawberries

I think Jonathan and Carla''s dance (choreographed by the new Canadian lady) was my favorite by far - does anybody know the name of the song they danced to? I already deleted it off my DVR. Also, I really liked Asuka''s and Vitolio''s waltz too.... both dances were absolutely breathtaking.

If I remember correctly, they danced to "Falling Slowly" by The Frames. The song is on the soundtrack to the film, Once. LOVE IT!

icekid

Ideal_Rock

Ugh and the girl that performed her version of ''Goodbye'' on the Thursday show - could it be any more obvious that she was lipsynching? Please correct me if I''m wrong, but it looked pretty obvious - really gets on my nerves.

And can I just say... with the exception of Mary''s constant screaming, I really enjoy the judging on this show. Nigel is actually very pleasant to listen to, and he''s honest, fair, and to the point. And he gives credit where credit is due. Mary is... meh, ok.

Yes, she was totally lip synching. And Mary needs to stop screeching. We mute every time she speaks.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Can anyone answer this for me please... at the end of the performance show, it says on the screen that some of the episodes, including the dances, are pre-recorded. How does that work? What parts are actually live? I mean it kind of makes sense, since when it''s actually airing they''ll show clips that allude to what comments the judges are making... but I don''t quite understand how that''s done.

Ugh and the girl that performed her version of ''Goodbye'' on the Thursday show - could it be any more obvious that she was lipsynching? Please correct me if I''m wrong, but it looked pretty obvious - really gets on my nerves.

I''m not sure which parts are pre-recorded. I''d assume maybe the opening Mia Michael''s number? They all had on crazy face make-up that seems hard to remove during a commercial break. But, then again, maybe it''s the guest dancer or the singer? I really dunno.

That lip synching drove me nuts. Why perform live if you''re not even live? Maybe it''s Britney syndrome. Either way, it bugs me.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Whenever Lil'' C speaks, I usually end up laughing. I think he''s funny.

On the Shane Sparks tip . . . I don''t know how I feel about him. As a former dancer, I know that it''s harder for those with specialized training to go in and do Hip Hop the way Shane does choreograph''s it. NappyTabs (aka Tabitha and Napoleon) does "Hip Hop Lite" and Shane does not; which is why their routines are usually good and his are either really good or REALLY bad. Everyone just can''t do his stuff. Hip Hop requires a lot of fluidity and it''s hard to find a contemporary/ballet/jazz dancer that can do that or pop and lock, etc. For example, Danny from Season 3, he was HORRIBLE at hip hop. Pretty much anyone can do the NappyTabs stuff as it is geared towards those with training. Best hip hop routine ever was Jamile and Destini from season one. Moving on . . .

I thought last Wednesday''s shop pretty much sucked. The best part was seeing Brian Friedman choreograph again. I hope they keep him around. I didn''t watch the results show, from the comments here, it sounds like I should skip it.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
anyone watching tonight?
i thought the first two numbers sucked. and i was shocked they liked the second one. shocked.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I watched it. I''m thrilled that Jean-Marc Généreux and France are back as choreographers. I didn''t really like him as a judge on SYTYCD Canada, but I love ballroom and love his choreographies. I thought both were really good tonight.

Now, about Mia Michaels... I agree that she has done some amazing work. Butt (mouahaha...
20.gif
) was I the only one to find tonight choreography very... blah? The judges were all over it and everything, but really, I think it''s just because it was Mia Michaels.

That said, I love this season''s dancers and don''t have a favorite yet. I think they''re all really good. I don''t know anything about dance, but I love''em!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 8:53:09 PM
Author: jcrow
anyone watching tonight?
i thought the first two numbers sucked. and i was shocked they liked the second one. shocked.
Wait ...which was the 2nd number ... that Askia chick? If so, yeah that sucked. I only really liked the two ballroom numbers tonight & maybe a little bit of that Broadway routine at the end. Tyce can put out some poo poo but it was okayish ... very old Hollywood movie. And the feathers were fun.

I really liked the samba (?) with the naughty ballerina & the lucky hair pick dude. Best of the night for me.

HATED the two hip hop routines. Only NappyTabs are bringin it w/the hip hop this season. The Mia routine was okayish for me. A little weird w/o the special sauce.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Melissa and Ade rock some serious socks. I liked Kayla and Kupono together too.

It''s still on. Just watched the Mia Michaels routine....

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
I like Kayla and Kupono together a lot more than their previous pairings. I...well, I started this sentence with "I also really liked..." because usually I have something that jumped out at me, but I couldn''t actually finish the sentence, so that''s telling, now, isn''t it?
11.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I just finished watching and this week was much better than last week.

About the Mia routine. Like Nigel said, it wasn''t the best chereography, but the way they danced it was excellent.

At this point, I think the top dancers are Brandon, Kayla, Ade, and Evan.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVED the Rhumba (I think that''s what it was) with Melissa. That partnership rocks! She is amazing!

I liked the broadway routine and I thought they were hard on Phillip.

Mia. . . I have been waiting for a Mia routine and to be honest I was disappointed. I think they danced it well. I enjoyed watching. . . but for a Mia routine that let me down big time.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I think last night was the weakest night to date, but I still think there are a lot of really strong dancers this season and I''m lovin'' it.

I think the bottom three will be Karla and Jonathon, Asuka and Vitolio and Caitlin and Jason. I have no clue why the judges liked Asuka and Vitolio''s performance, it seemed to really show her weaknesses, espeicially when she did the coupe jetes and barely got off the ground at all. Vitolio just gives me the creeps.

I think that Phillip will be safe tonight because people seem to love hiim, but if he is in the bottom three, I fear for him.

I will admit that I thought Kayla was given a spot in the top 20 for her story (it''s a great story), but I think that right now she''s my favorite dancer. I don''t even mind that she''s super girly :) She''s such a beautiful dancer. I''m still drinking the Brandon kool-aid, though. Especially when they show him in choreography and he picks the moves up in what seems like seconds. As a woman who''s always struggled to get choreography very quickly, I envy the ability.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Watching Wednesday''s show on my DVR now...

Poor Jonathan and Karla... I wanted them to do well, but they didn''t.

I really liked Vitolio and Asuka''s dance - except she seemed to be very confined and small in her movements, which is sad, because I know she was so much bigger last week.

DANG at the rhumba... hahaha and I need to make sure I get back in Pilates!!! She looks so awesome, and I LOVE that she can be so muscular and strong and yet so feminine and beautiful. Their dance was AWESOME. Yowza!!!!

Well I''ve gotta go to bed and will finish it tomorrow, so I guess I won''t come back here to read till after I watch tonight''s episode tomorrow, haha.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I like ADE and his partner the Ballerina.
I also LOVE Brandon.

And for those who said Mia Michaels lost it... I agree. It was like she couldn''t think of anything so she was like, umm... I''m gonna make a dnace about nothing... but because I have Emmy''s... they''ll kiss my BUTT. Stupid dance, very disappointed. Honestly none of the dances this week stood out at all. They were all just... okay, in my oppinion.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the only dance that really stood out to me was the Rumba. There were others that were pretty good, but Melissa made that one happen. Brandon and Jenette (?) were awesome as well--Brandon especially--but her haircut DRIVES ME NUTS. Does nothing for her facial structure at all. Ummm...Carla and Jonathon sucked butt IMHO. She did a LOT better than he did, but neither did great.

My favorite dancers at the moment? Kayla, Brandon, Melissa, Ade and Evan. I like Kupono's quirkiness, although he's not the best technical dancer...

ETA: Mia sucks.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Late to the party, but I am so totally glad that Jonathan and Aska are both gone. Neither of them had any control over their facial expressions (which I think is key for performers) and it drove me crazy! I thought Jonathan would get by until the Top 10 for looking like a Jo-Bro-teen-heartthrob, so I was really glad when he didn't.

I haven't had any real "favorite" routines yet this season--far more that I didn't like. If I had to pick one, it would be the Ade and Melissa jazz routine by Sonja. I do think Melissa is amazing! I liked the Mandy Moore routine her and Ade did, but that it was to Richard Marx ruined it. And, while I am ranting, that is why I don't like Mandy as a choreographer--she has the worst taste in/selections of music.

This week, I felt was weak. The Tabitha-Napoleon choreography to start the show sucked. And, I am with you all about the musical guests--all the lip-syncing is just embarrassing. Last week, they at least danced, but this week, whoever they were didn't even dance, and were still lip-syncing.

/rant

Despite all the b****ing, I really do love the show, though.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 10:48:20 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I think last night was the weakest night to date, but I still think there are a lot of really strong dancers this season and I''m lovin'' it.

Totally agree! I was disappointed. My favorites are pretty much the same as those you guys listed- Ade, Brandon, Kayla, Melissa. Unfortunately, none of them compare to the Josh/Katie pair from last season for me.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 6:03:32 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I think the only dance that really stood out to me was the Rumba. There were others that were pretty good, but Melissa made that one happen. Brandon and Jenette (?) were awesome as well--Brandon especially--but her haircut DRIVES ME NUTS. Does nothing for her facial structure at all. Ummm...Carla and Jonathon sucked butt IMHO. She did a LOT better than he did, but neither did great.

My favorite dancers at the moment? Kayla, Brandon, Melissa, Ade and Evan. I like Kupono''s quirkiness, although he''s not the best technical dancer...

ETA: Mia sucks.
Hey now!
7.gif
9.gif
Haha

I used to love Mia, and while I wasn''t in love with the butt routine, I thought it was cute. I was disappointed with the way she behaved with Brandon and I am hoping she''ll make up for it. I can''t wait until he pulls her name though!

Overall last week was pretty dull. I have some underdogs that I am routing for (Kupono), but I have a feeling none of them will rise to the occasion... I''m hoping for a more exciting show this week!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well. I'm glad he dancers that are gone are gone. Personally I think the ladies are much stronger than the guys. I think Vitolio and Kupono need to go. I like Evan , but I'd like to see him 'out of character'... all the choreographers seem to be keeping him in his comfort zone and so I'm waiting for him to get something like hip hop or the tango or something. I like Brandon, Mia was being a total PITA DIVA about him and well... she's wrong. He's the strongest guy IMO. I like the hair pick guy too.

I don't think the Ballerina has a spine. I mean god knows we ALL saw her back (and then some) in the outfit this week, but still don't think it's made of bone. She's so fluid. I like her and Kayla the best of the women. But all the remaining ladies are pretty good-- I really like Evan's partner, if my arse was the focus of any routine the way hers was... no freaking way. None stick out as sucking hard for me the way Vitolio and Kupono do with the guys.

I agree that this week was forgetable overall.

Frankly I think it's the choreographers that need to step it up MORE than the dancers have to for this coming week. Everything was very bland. The best part of the show for me was the song from Carmina Burana (O'Fortuna). Because it reminded me that I wanted to buy it and make a new CD.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Melissa & Ade are as strong as Josh & Katee last year. And I still really like Phillip & his partner, though I keep forgetting her name!

Agree that the choreographers have to step it up (heh)! It must be hard to keep topping themselves. We now expect a "best ever" performance every week! And compare every hip hop routine to "the best ever" -- nope, not as good as xxxx. And compare every contemporary routine to "the best contemporary routine ever" ... nope! not as good as xxxx.

Overall I think its a GREAT SHOW and the only thing keeping me awake this Summer. (Except JESSE JAMES IS A DEAD MAN ... check THAT out!)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2009 4:08:39 AM
Author: Gypsy
I don''t think the Ballerina has a spine. I mean god knows we ALL saw her back (and then some) in the outfit this week, but still don''t think it''s made of bone. She''s so fluid.
SPOT ON & funny!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results