shape
carat
color
clarity

Super ideal cut appearing yellow in some lighting

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock
I like the F over the first G. I’m sorry to confuse things for you but that first G concerns me, someone who doesn’t mind inclusions. I see graining and wisps. I really wish you could see the two side by side. I don’t want to be the person to tell you to compromise on clarity sight unseen... I’m okay with inclusions but I prefer to see less than that first G. I don’t think the light performance will be affected, based only on what White Flash tells us about ACA, but I think you really need to see these stones in person, particularly the first G, which may not be possible. This is only my opinion.
Do you still prefer the F after seeing the photos provided by Whiteflash?

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock
I wish I knew what you are seeing!

What comes to mind:

It isn't just the light temperature, but how it plays with the diamond in every place, and transmitted light makes its colour aparent (the colour of the light temperature, that is), reminding you that the stone is not D ... perhaps. There is no 'colour' in the Near Colorless range - hence its name.

The first two pictures - WWW, both side.views of the even more prominent crown of an OP diamond, the first is taken with mainly transmitted light (no reflections off facets caught by the camera, the light must be indirect & diffuse) and looks Fancy Yellow to me, the other imagees side & front show reflected light & hardly any colour. The grade is not near Colourless, but I do not find it easy to tell shades of more or less brownish yellow etc. still - it is a faint pastel; I am rather enjoying this subtle, complicated play of light and colour in these; ice is good for its own reasons.

2p
I do think the first picture I posted of my diamond showing the yellow colour is mainly due to the light bulb and shade. I’ve since changed it and I haven’t seen that strong a yellow in my diamond since. I still see yellow tint in some indoor lightings but otherwise very white. I was ok with that slight tint at first but I think due to having been scared and freaked out about the shocking yellow colour, it’s put me off any hint of yellow tint. Which I feel really sad about because the diamond was picked by my fiancé and the proportions, clarity, fire and brilliance of the diamond is absolutely stunning!

Reactions: AV_

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do think the first picture I posted of my diamond showing the yellow colour is mainly due to the light bulb and shade. I’ve since changed it and I haven’t seen that strong a yellow in my diamond since. I still see yellow tint in some indoor lightings but otherwise very white. I was ok with that slight tint at first but I think due to having been scared and freaked out about the shocking yellow colour, it’s put me off any hint of yellow tint. Which I feel really sad about because the diamond was picked by my fiancé and the proportions, clarity, fire and brilliance of the diamond is absolutely stunning!

Do you still prefer the F after seeing the photos provided by Whiteflash?

Hi, to be honest, I think all three diamonds are pretty! Are you sure the order is correct? The first diamond looks whiter to me from the profile and the second two look like the same color... This goes to show how “minute” the differences are. So, honestly, I’d order a video showing all three stones together in two different kinds of light, then decide if changing your current stone is worth it to you. This is only my opinion.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I didn’t realise that.... which is what has left me puzzled. Cos I’m completely happy with its performance and colour in most environments.

1. It looks really white in the outdoor sunlight
2. It looks generally white in most indoor well lit areas and in some environments, I do see a tint of warmth. Which I’m ok with.
3. But it’s the few rooms/lighting where it is YELLOW (like the one in the first pic I posted). Which I don’t like.

My issue was, is the “true I colour” showing in the second scenario or the third scenario? And would a DEF also perform similarly in scenario 3?

Sorry for being so pedantic on this. It’s just a little upsetting after doing so much research and thinking I would be completely happy with an I, I’m now left confused.

Thanks for all your advice on this !!

My D glows icy white, no matter what color temperature lighting it is in.

I can't speak for E's and F's, but my guess is they'd be similar to my D in appearing white in all lighting situations.

This is EXACTLY why I said on another thread to tread VERY cautiously if you are buying outside the Colorless range and:
1) can't see your diamond IN PERSON before you buy it (I'm a trained photographer and the color you see in a photo has no bearing on the actual color of the object in the photo)
2) don't truly know (in depth) your own color sensitivity and preference.

People on this forum boast that "H-I-J" colors are "white." They may be beautiful diamonds and suit a person's preference, but they are most certainly NOT white.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure many of us think that H/I/J are "white" when compared to a D/E/F, but certainly lots of us think that super ideal cut H/I colors can face up quite white for people who aren't super color sensitive. Many people will see tint in a J, especially in non super ideal cuts and/or bigger sizes.

I tend to advise new posters that anything up to G will look very white to the vast majority of people. Obviously not everyone, but most.

cj2be

Shiny_Rock
Wow this is one of the most beautiful diamonds I have ever seen. Can you please share the specs?

I forgot I had this picture on my phone but thought it would be a good one to illustrate how surroundings can affect a diamond’s color. This is my first super ideal, an ACA .4ct D. This is the only area at my house I can get beautiful black arrow pics. But, as you can see, my beige house made this D look yellow.
D5C19A71-8FD8-42F1-A6F4-3E049A06EB9E.jpeg

That’s not to say what you are seeing in your I is not actual tint from you diamond. I’m currently trading in my I for a G because the tint in my I bothers me.

cj2be

Shiny_Rock
The H is my favorite out of the 3. You can definitely see a bit of a color difference in the second picture, but I like the slightly thinner LGF’s and it has the best contrast in my opinion. I’m color sensitive but I would still pick the H for the same reasons you just gave. Also keep in mind you won’t be visually comparing your diamond with higher colors when it’s on your finger. And don’t feel bad about exchanging already. I had 3 different diamonds within 4 months of getting engaged

Thank you for your post and definitely no apologies needed - very valuable insight!

I think it’s definitely about finding a balance between the Cs. Where I stand right now is I feel most sensitive to colour due to what I see in the I colour diamond I have.... I feel less worried about inclusions that can’t be easily seen (only visible at 5” and it’s not easy to locate) but that could just be because my current diamond is completely eye clean and therefore I don’t think about clarity?

I think between the options online at WF,
(1) If I were more worried about colour I should go with the F but it would mean slightly smaller diameter - smallest of all options by 0.10mm
(2) If I wanted the biggest diameter then I would go with the second G (1.398) but that one has less favourable CA/PA (34.2 / 40.6).
(3) If I was going for best proportions, I.e. small table and higher crown angle then I would go for the first G (34.7 / 40.7 / 55.7) but that one has the twinning wisps that may be viewable at 4-6”.

The H on the other hand is in between them all:
- completely eye clean
- good proportions (not the best for me) 56.7 / 34.6 / 40.6
- only 0.04mm smaller than my current diamond
- however the colour is the lowest (although still higher than my current one)

You are right - it’s about finding out what’s important to me and what I can compromise on.... I guess because this is my first ever diamond I’m still trying to work it out and going into jewellery stores doesn’t help me I find as I don’t see any difference in their lightings. Even under the table.

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock
It did; it had a couple of them similar to the plot of the G linked above with TWs. And in the CBI I viewed last week, none of them were visible to my eye no matter how close I got or in any light source I observed; in fact, I had to really search with my loupe just to find them. For reference, this is the diamond.

That said, every diamond is different; just because I couldn’t see them in the CBI doesn’t mean I wouldn’t see them in another SI1 diamond. I’d also point out that I did a LOT of reading on PS about twinning wisps specifically, and 95% of what I read noted that they’re one of the ‘best’ inclusions in a diamond because they’re usually white and invisible to the eye in most SI1s or higher; and, that pictures/videos tend to exacerbate their appearance while - in person - they were practically undetectable. If I was seriously considering a diamond with them and concerned about eye cleanliness based on a picture or video, I’d first ask the SA for his/her in-person observations without a loupe, then bring it in to see for myself. I was genuinely surprised at just how eye (and loupe) clean that diamond was for an SI1.

Hope that is helpful! :wavey:

Thank you! That is helpful to hear. I know all diamonds need to be assessed on its own. But it’s reassuring to hear SI1s can be eye clean / eye clean at a 6” distance, and that TWs are sometimes difficult to see.

Hopefully I get my response from WF on Monday will be that the inclusion is so minute that I can be comfortable with it. For some reason I do feel more drawn to it....maybe because I think the proportions are more “ideal for me” than my current diamond... I know that with a colour upgrade I will get a better colour, but I don’t want to get a diamond that performs not as well as I would like than my current as in I don’t want to sacrifice on cut....

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock
Hi, to be honest, I think all three diamonds are pretty! Are you sure the order is correct? The first diamond looks whiter to me from the profile and the second two look like the same color... This goes to show how “minute” the differences are. So, honestly, I’d order a video showing all three stones together in two different kinds of light, then decide if changing your current stone is worth it to you. This is only my opinion.
Yes that’s the order. The G on the left has the TW that cuts through a few of the arrows and the H an inclusion in the centre but it’s not visible to the naked eye.
Ohhhh that’s a great idea about the video..... Althoigh I have already sent multiple emails with
continuous questions about the most pedantic questions.. :oops2:

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock

I can't speak for E's and F's, but my guess is they'd be similar to my D in appearing white in all lighting situations.

This is EXACTLY why I said on another thread to tread VERY cautiously if you are buying outside the Colorless range and:
1) can't see your diamond IN PERSON before you buy it (I'm a trained photographer and the color you see in a photo has no bearing on the actual color of the object in the photo)

People on this forum boast that "H-I-J" colors are "white." They may be beautiful diamonds and suit a person's preference, but they are most certainly NOT white.
Thank you @RunningwithScissors. For any newbie deciding on the colour they think they may be comfortable with, I think the view is generally that super ideal cuts in HIJ colour can face up really really white. Which I agree with but depending on what lighting there is.

when I am outdoors I swear my I is beaming with white light... it’s as if it is projecting the light. I feel so happy and proud of my diamond in those moments. Indoors without lighting (only natural daylight) it is also white to me, it’s not as icy as it is outside but I don’t see tint, but as soon as I’m indoors with any light (not sure if it’s also daylight white lighting) I see tint, and in some really dim/yellow lighting I see the deep yellow colour which Makes me not even want to look at my diamond.. I do see less of that now since I changed the light bulb and shade in my living room but I think it’s a mindclean thing as now I know my diamond CAN look like THAT even though I rarely see it now...

This is just my observation of an I and I do now think I’m colour sensitive as my fiancé says he doesn’t see what I see..., except the shocking yellow (just slightly!)

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock
The H is my favorite out of the 3. You can definitely see a bit of a color difference in the second picture, but I like the slightly thinner LGF’s and it has the best contrast in my opinion. I’m color sensitive but I would still pick the H for the same reasons you just gave. Also keep in mind you won’t be visually comparing your diamond with higher colors when it’s on your finger. And don’t feel bad about exchanging already. I had 3 different diamonds within 4 months of getting engaged

Interesting. I too like the contrast on the H, and another winning factor for me is that it is completely eye clean. However I personally prefer fatter arrows so always get excited by 76% LGF. Also I’ve looked at the second comparison picture again and again and I see the tint in it compared to the F next to it... I just don’t know whether one colour jump will leave me completely satisfied....

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Wewechew. I too suspect I need that too, I guess my decision is whether to sacrifice on eye clean (the G) or a bit on size and also a slight visible inclusion (the F).
I will tell you I prefer the G, but that’s got to be your call.

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock
I will tell you I prefer the G, but that’s got to be your call.
Is that on the basis of my preference to get the biggest size I can and the difference between a F and a G not being that great whereas it’s already 2 colours higher than my I? :razz:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like you are working out your tolerances. I believe you have a short window left.

You mentioned the ideal proportions and inclusion plot is an H. For me, I can see a tint in the H. Are you able to make the comparison with your I stone images that you got before?

However, you are most sensitive to colour. This is your biggest C that I think you cannot compromise one.

I haven’t had time to look for stones, only time to put some thoughts down on paper.

I would stop looking at any other stones that are not F colour. Your window of opportunity is getting smaller. Focus on what is your biggest C concern- the F colour. Nothing less than that.

Then your clarity is next.

Size is important but they are all within a few small mm. Being your first diamond purchase it is daunting and lots to take in.

FWIW- most ppl in PS have learned with a FEW diamonds, what their tolerances are. It’s a journey!!! Hahah someone say upgrade????

For now work in that zone described above and don’t get distracted with G colour.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that on the basis of my preference to get the biggest size I can and the difference between a F and a G not being that great whereas it’s already 2 colours higher than my I? :razz:
I prefer the proportions on the G. Also, I’m enough color sensitive I can see tint in H, but can’t in a G. Add in you wouldn’t be giving up size...

BUT it may be more important to you to have a colorless stone.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow this is one of the most beautiful diamonds I have ever seen. Can you please share the specs?
I miss that diamond. It was beautiful.

DF5D42D8-05F8-4644-B084-1D5BD0B23E6C.png

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My stone is an I and it's white. I wear bifocals etc, I see no tint in my stone. I can see a person seeing something more than I can I suppose but as to the average person who sees my ring they see a brilliant ACA stone that is white.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4045357.htm my stone.

here's an ACA F color

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3979464.htm

I think if a person sees yellow they see it and they should move up colorless to get there where they don't see enough color to bother them. I've had a D color VVS2 oval 1.01 oval cut diamond once and it was icy white, like a piece of ice except for the damn bow tie, which I found annoying, I would have preferred K colored oval with no bowtie because that is more imporant to me (I upgraded to a 1.63 I color MRB AGS2 back in 88). So it's all what is acceptable to me or you or the OP. I would much prefer an ACA or HPD diamond with a higher table that is well cut and gives off a show of color and light vs a D colored diamond - that's more important for me. A great diamond, with great numbers rather than a D color, but that is me.

headlight

Ideal_Rock

@RunningwithScissors I know what you are saying, exactly (in all points). My E glows icy white, as well, irregardless of environment. As I’ve mentioned in other posts, it’s as if it’s lit from within.
The element you raised regarding what things look like on a screen versus in person is so true (as I’ve come to discover when shopping for things like upholstered furniture!).
STILL waiting to see the photos of your stunner (or did I miss it?)!
I’ think H still appears more toward the colorless side, just perhaps not as bright. I think I color is where a little warmth is “felt”.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you are barreling forward without first gathering the necessary objective evidence to justify a trade. You don't currently have any evidence that a less tinted diamond will look "whiter" in the specific lighting environment that is causing you to dislike your current diamond. That doesn't seem like a good plan to me. You need to see how a colorless diamond looks in that same lighting before you conclude that trading your diamond is the way to go.

FWIW I agree with others that what you are seeing is reflection of the environment, not "tint", and you are feeding your color anxiety by even using that terminology at all.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
going into jewellery stores doesn’t help me I find as I don’t see any difference in their lightings. Even under the table.

I would strongly consider that you may not see a difference once you get a higher-color diamond. Take the diamonds at the jewelry store to a window, even if an employee has to hold them, bring a sheet of paper or white box, a flashlight with a warm bulb, set up your own little lightbox, etc. It would suck for you to go through all this only to find out it's entirely environmental, and to get a more-included stone or a stone that is noticeably smaller and have to exchange again.

I agree with @dreamer_dachsie that the real test is seeing a colorless diamond in that environment - I'd start out just buying a CZ ring of the right size. Easily findable on Amazon with one-day shipping. Unless you have a friend or family member whose diamond you know is colorless who you can invite over. Then view them side-by-side in a number of different lighting environments (be sure they're equally clean) and see.

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock
I would strongly consider that you may not see a difference once you get a higher-color diamond. Take the diamonds at the jewelry store to a window, even if an employee has to hold them, bring a sheet of paper or white box, a flashlight with a warm bulb, set up your own little lightbox, etc. It would suck for you to go through all this only to find out it's entirely environmental, and to get a more-included stone or a stone that is noticeably smaller and have to exchange again.

I agree with @dreamer_dachsie that the real test is seeing a colorless diamond in that environment - I'd start out just buying a CZ ring of the right size. Easily findable on Amazon with one-day shipping. Unless you have a friend or family member whose diamond you know is colorless who you can invite over. Then view them side-by-side in a number of different lighting environments (be sure they're equally clean) and see.
Thank you @distracts and @dreamer_dachsie. I understand what you are both saying. unfortunately I dont have anyone to ask to compare diamonds and also I’ve looked in stores and asked to step away from the lighting... (even went into their little store room at the back and also under their internal staircase where there was no direct light under the staircase), but I wasn’t able to see any difference in colour between H and I, but I was able to see with a D and an I. Then it all became a blur of the in between colours.

FWIW I agree with others that what you are seeing is reflection of the environment, not "tint", and you are feeding your color anxiety by even using that terminology at all.

I agree for the “strong yellow” colour (ie. the picture in my first post) that it is mainly environment driven, because since changing my living room light bulb and the shade and also cleaned my diamond, I’ve not seen that yellow colour ever since! :)

However the “tint” was there from day one... it didn’t bother me at first and was (and is) only visible in most indoor environments where there is indoor lighting no natural daylight... it didn’t bother me at first but bothers me now and I’m not sure if it’s due to (1) I’ve been put off any tint due to having witnessed the yellow colour - even though I don’t see it anymore, (2) I was too bothered about the strong yellow to care about the slight tint, or (3) over time It just bothers me.

I do see the differences between the I/H and the F/Gs from the pictures sent by Whiteflash... especially when compared side by side.

I’m not disputing what either of you have said - in fact, I think it’s very valid points you raise and I can’t think of anything worse than going through all this and waiting to get a new diamond only to see the colour is not what I’m after and having to sacrifice on other Cs. But based on what I’ve explained above, does it sound like I’m coming to the right analysis that I do need a colour jump?

Having read all the responses on this thread, I do believe the yellow and tint is partially due to the I colour but mostly the environment.... and there’s only so many environments I can change (my own home), so I want to do what I can to prevent myself from seeing the tint and getting put off my diamond... so it seems upgrading the diamond colour is something I could help to change...

I’m not contesting to what u say, so please do share any further thoughts or suggestions. Really do appreciate it!!!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally disagree, I have an I and I don't see any warmth at all ever, IF I am wearing a brown or yellow shirt or if I'm in a room with color I do get a refection back. I have had a D color and if I were in a brown room, it had a color a bit to it I believe that is what diamonds do. Maybe some diamonds that are H or I are really K-L? I dunno, but having a ACA in a I color is near to complete colorless for me. But my mileage can vary from others.

@RunningwithScissors I know what you are saying, exactly (in all points). My E glows icy white, as well, irregardless of environment. As I’ve mentioned in other posts, it’s as if it’s lit from within.
The element you raised regarding what things look like on a screen versus in person is so true (as I’ve come to discover when shopping for things like upholstered furniture!).
STILL waiting to see the photos of your stunner (or did I miss it?)!
I’ think H still appears more toward the colorless side, just perhaps not as bright. I think I color is where a little warmth is “felt”.

beigenarwhal

Rough_Rock
buy all 3!!!:dance: You can tell your fiance it's for scientific research....:lol:

Also, when I was waffling between stones, HPD had a "see it at home" program where they'll send you the diamond to see for 7 days without withdrawing the funds from your account (though I believe the funds are held). Once you return the diamond, the hold is released. Perhaps WF can do something similar with your two top contenders (sounds like the G and the F)?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Totally disagree, I have an I and I don't see any warmth at all ever, IF I am wearing a brown or yellow shirt or if I'm in a room with color I do get a refection back. I have had a D color and if I were in a brown room, it had a color a bit to it I believe that is what diamonds do. Maybe some diamonds that are H or I are really K-L? I dunno, but having a ACA in a I color is near to complete colorless for me. But my mileage can vary from others.
Totally fair !

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tried this out today at the hotel I was staying in. They had yellow drapes so I ran over to put my G color MRB next to it. Depending on the way the sun hit it and how close I put it next to the curtain I did see a bit of yellow. When I walked away from the drape the color disappeared. I also put it next to other colors and I didn’t see it take on that color. I’ve never seen it do that and I have the diamond fifteen years. I’m not around yellow that much so that can explain it. The drape was a marigold yellow so very saturated.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
From the input from everyone, it seems as though the impact from colors in the surroundings have a stronger influence as we go down the color scale.
True/false? Thoughts?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamond body tint is an objective characteristic of the material. I am not claiming there is no difference in body color. I am simply saying that environment has a large effect on how we perceived color, as do our expectations and biases. Just food for thought. Do whatever makes you feel good. Personally I'd just keep your diamond and find other ways to deal with the anxiety about color! lol!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results